'14 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'14 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu May 08, 2014 8:43 am

Pens win 4-2 9 more wins to Lord Stanley's Cup

- Convincing win over a confused/shameful Rangers team
- Geno was galloping everywhere last night, looks to be at top of his game. Backhand spin-o-rama goal to start it off was ridiculous
- Sid is making unnecessary weird passes right now. I chalk it up to playing with so much skill
- Gibbons open ice body slam on one Ranger, followed by tackle on another - Orpik-esque playoff moment for the post season
- Orpik's return was short lived, sucks he got hurt, Borts back in, Despres in the batting circle
- lack of calls in this game was just plain STUPID. Charging and crosschecking are now allowed apparently
- Staal is not longer very good, his attempts to goon it up is 'laughable'
- Kunitz is #PlayoffBeastMode
- Jussi for Conn Smythe? C'mon, dude has been clutch
- Nash is HORRIBLE, he can't even hit the net! Even a bad Nash would make a difference.
- C'mon boys, finish them off on Friday, rest up, watch Mtl vs Bos go 7 games and get ugly
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 am

With 2 minutes to go, Geno had the same number of SOG as the Rangers. Great performance by 71, poor by the Rags.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sergei on Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 am

Let's hope the Pens don't relax for game 5 after seeing the Rags in the sorry state they were in game 4.
That quote from Bob Johnson about needing at least one short series on the way to the cup rings true.
sergei
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Thu May 08, 2014 8:48 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:With 2 minutes to go, Geno had the same number of SOG as the Rangers. Great performance by 71, poor by the Rags.

Geno's shot attempts = Rangers shots on goal. Not the same thing
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu May 08, 2014 8:49 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:With 2 minutes to go, Geno had the same number of SOG as the Rangers. Great performance by 71, poor by the Rags.

I think that was shot attempts, not SOG
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 am

The Rangers are completely embarrassing themselves. I thought we matched up well with them but this is ridiculous. Columbus played much better.

other thoughts:
- Gibbons is just blowing me away. A PK next year with Dupuis and Gibbons could be absolutely lethal.
- All 4 lines once again looked really good. Then again, myself and some people on here might look good against the Rags.
- Letang is getting off easy thanks to Martin bailing him out over and over again. If the woeful Scuds was his partner, we'd be calling for Letang's head on these stupid pinches.

No need to goof around, finish this pathetic team off in game 5 and rest up for what will be a brutal semis.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 am

I hope the Penguins go up 3-0 early in Game 5 and spend the rest of the night paying Marc Staal and his goon friends back for the attempted headshots on Sidney Crosby.

The league, unsurprisingly, will refuse to handle this matter. I hope the Penguins handle it internally.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 am

I can't decide if this series is the great play by the Pens killing the Rangers, or the crappy play by the Rangers making the Pens look good. Either way, I like what I see.

Pens made it to the 3rd round last year without my confidence in check as if helter skelter got them there. This year, I feel alot differently about this team. They have played at least 5 complete games in a row (I attribute the near game 6 CBJ collapse to the home team playing with unreal adrenaline).
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PAPLine on Thu May 08, 2014 8:59 am

If the Pens continue to play like last night, they may never lose another game. Yeah, the Rangers scored two goals, but the Pens played major defense. And from defense comes offense.
Did anyone on the Pens not look good last night? Maybe Zatkoff, but then he didn't play.
Let's keep this intensity and dedication going. 9 more wins.
Let's go Pens.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby darkstar57 on Thu May 08, 2014 9:09 am

-Geno is really starting to heat up, he looks engaged and playing great defense
-Jussi is earning himself a nice raise this summer, i hope he takes a home team discount and stay with the pens
-Everytime the rangers scored, we buckled down and went right back after them, that is great to see
-Even with the Sd & Geno playing together, we are rolling 4 lines and everyone is playing well.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 08, 2014 9:10 am

Malkin looking like his 2009 self. He's straight up beasting right now.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 08, 2014 9:17 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

You know who played 30 mins last night

This guy

Spoiler:
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

- Gibbons is awesome. Uses his speed so effectively.
- Oprik's (new) injury is punishment from the hockey gods for Bylsma scratching Borts.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

Gaucho wrote:Image

Lol why does the one person have money up against the glass?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Cedar Penn on Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

Geno get the job done.

Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 08, 2014 9:24 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:- Oprik's (new) injury is punishment from the hockey gods for Bylsma scratching Borts.

I actually thought the same thing when this happened. :fist:
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:- Oprik's (new) injury is punishment from the hockey gods for Bylsma scratching Borts.

Be careful what you wish for.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 am

Sutter's goal reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIpGkd5y9l8
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 08, 2014 9:29 am

columbia wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

By scratching Bortuzzo HCDB basically said that on ice performance doesnt matter, that there is already a pre-determined pecking order. I'm not ok with that.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 am

Really like to see the Pens' game coming together the way it has since that unfortunate ending to Game 4 vs CBJ. And really, the 10-15 mins before that were reminiscent of what they are doing now.

It's kinda funny that last season we had all of the big name acquisitions at the deadline and they actually weakened the team, while this year we got two "lesser" pieces in Goc and Stempniak and they have given the team the exact depth that they need to roll 4 effective lines. Who would have thunk it a few weeks ago?

Malkin is returning to the Beast Mode that he was in just before his injury. I don't care if Crosby ever scores again if he is setting Geno and Kunitz up instead.

It's funny... in the past I always hated the "Two-headed Monster"... but it looks like on this team, it is just what the doctor ordered. The team is actually better when they play together, whereas it usually just weakens all of the other lines. IMO, they need to just roll with it until it doesn't work.

I'm sure that the Rags have a hand in making the Pens look good, but regardless, the style of hockey they are playing now is akin to what it takes to win in the playoffs... something we have suspected they could do if they actually put their mind to it, but have so rarely seen since '09.

Here's to hoping this one is over on Friday.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Image

Lol why does the one person have money up against the glass?

I noticed that during the game. It's a "doctored" $1 bill made to look like a $2 bill.
Last edited by Dr Rosenrosen on Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
columbia wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

By scratching Bortuzzo HCDB basically said that on ice performance doesnt matter, that there is already a pre-determined pecking order. I'm not ok with that.

Bortuzzo played 3 games. In the first one, he was mud and got lost on the OT winner. In the second one, he played well enough to not be noticed for 60 minutes. In the third, he was certainly great.

That being said, let's not go anointing the guy as the 2nd coming here. I don't really see how he's out-performed Orpik for the duration of the post-season.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Thu May 08, 2014 9:36 am

Credit where it is due: Bylsma has this team fired up and playing with desperation, as he calls it, or simply urgency, as I see it. Any way you slice it, if he was deserving of criticism late in the season and early in the playoffs (and I was as critical of him as anyone), he is equally as deserving of the team's current performance. The team looks focused, committed, and determined. Someone pondered above whether the Penguins were playing this good or the Rangers this bad -- it might be a combo of both, but I genuinely see a huge improvement and a style of game that is sustainable and successful in the playoffs.

Couple thoughts...

- Fleury had another solid game, save for the second goal that squeezed between his body and the post. Hard to be too critical of a goalie who gives up 5 goals in 4 games and shuts out his opponent twice. He's in 2009 form -- maybe better (dare I say the best postseason of his career?).

- Malkin has turned on the jets and is flat out dominant. This newly-formed first line (credit Bylsma for adjusting) is a force to be reckoned with. He's in 2009 form, as well.

- Martin and Letang as a pairing is gold, Jerry. Both of offensive skills and instincts, but Martin possesses the necessary speed and defensive awareness/ability to cover for Letang, allowing him to play his game more effectively. In hindsight, it's such an obvious pairing -- but it never even occurred to me until it was put together. Credit Bylsma, again, for keeping the duo together last evening, even when Orpik was available.

- Unsung heroes: Niskanen (bad coverage on the first goal not-withstanding), Jokinen, and Sutter. These guys have, for the most part, flown under the radar, but they're providing the depth/secondary production that will be needed moving forward.

- Lastly, I'll admit that I wasn't happy to see Gibbons in the lineup for game 1 against Columbus, but the kid can flat out fly, and his contributions on the penalty kill have won me over. What he lacks in size, he makes up for two times over in heart. What an awesome sequence leading to the shorty last night!

Penguin hockey is fun/exciting to watch again, and I'm loving it!
Last edited by Defence21 on Thu May 08, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 am

Jesse wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
columbia wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Bortuzzo played 3 games. In the first one, he was mud and got lost on the OT winner. In the second one, he played well enough to not be noticed for 60 minutes. In the third, he was certainly great.

That being said, let's not go anointing the guy as the 2nd coming here. I don't really see how he's out-performed Orpik for the duration of the post-season.

I don't think anyone is insinuating that he's out performed Orpik. More that at this point in his career, everyone who has ever played any form of organized ice hockey would be able to out-perform Scuderi.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins