'14 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am

Just caught the tail end of the Madden interview on DVE. He said that right before the Pens signed Letang last year, they had a deal in place to trade him for a bunch of pieces to re-stock the team. Ownership didn't ax the deal, but upper management did because "Letang is too marketable." Had to Morehouse, correct?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 am

I can't wait for the offseason when all of the players leave and talk smack about what happened here.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 14, 2014 11:58 am

I asked this in another thread, but what marketability does Letang have? He doesn't do any local spots that I know of. He's not a league-wide star used in national marketing. People don't buy tickets to see him play.

I like the guy compared to general LGP sentiment as a player, but this sounds like a completely made up story, or someone is feeding him garbage info. I also don't think Lemieux would let "upper management" nix the deal if it was one that would have improved the deal over imaginary marketing concerns.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 14, 2014 2:27 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Just caught the tail end of the Madden interview on DVE. He said that right before the Pens signed Letang last year, they had a deal in place to trade him for a bunch of pieces to re-stock the team. Ownership didn't ax the deal, but upper management did because "Letang is too marketable." Had to Morehouse, correct?

No. There's no way Morehouse has any real input on actual hockey-related businesses. You're telling me he has the power to override Shero AND Lemiuex/Burkle? Please.

FWIW, I believe the story was to be the Pens had offers for Letang at the draft from a couple of the teams in the Top-5, who were offering their pick plus a choice of a top prospect. It was considered, but Shero opted not to bite. The idea of Morehouse axing any trade is absurd.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Even though Madden does not tow the party line and blasts everyone that does for the Steelers and Pirates... he would NEVER throw Lemieux under the bus by pointing the finger at him for something like this. Not towing the party line though...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 14, 2014 2:50 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Just caught the tail end of the Madden interview on DVE. He said that right before the Pens signed Letang last year, they had a deal in place to trade him for a bunch of pieces to re-stock the team. Ownership didn't ax the deal, but upper management did because "Letang is too marketable." Had to Morehouse, correct?

No. There's no way Morehouse has any real input on actual hockey-related businesses. You're telling me he has the power to override Shero AND Lemiuex/Burkle? Please.

FWIW, I believe the story was to be the Pens had offers for Letang at the draft from a couple of the teams in the Top-5, who were offering their pick plus a choice of a top prospect. It was considered, but Shero opted not to bite. The idea of Morehouse axing any trade is absurd.

Assuming what Madden was told is true....It wasn't ownership, and Shero wouldnt nix his own trade because of a player's marketability, Morehouse is the last guy standing. I agree it doesnt make sense that Morehouse would have that kind of input, so maybe it's just Madden with an ax to grind?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 14, 2014 3:00 pm

I think it's that last thing you said.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 14, 2014 3:02 pm

the penguins actually retweeted this a bit ago

@SammyDewolfe: thank you again @penguins for a great season, great run. so long until next year!
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins