crosby just may be

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: crosby just may be

Postby bdevido on Wed May 14, 2014 12:36 am

r u f'ing serious??????????? 10 mil a year for 1 goal in 15 consecutive playoff games? yeah, i guess that is america. people getting paid who don't deserve it. well, look at the result. 5 consecutive postseason's of the same sorry s*it.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 7:23 am

bdevido wrote:r u f'ing serious??????????? 10 mil a year for 1 goal in 15 consecutive playoff games? yeah, i guess that is america. people getting paid who don't deserve it. well, look at the result. 5 consecutive postseason's of the same sorry s*it.

YEA! We should sue him for breach of contract because he stole from the team after that performance. Then we should trade him to the Oilers!
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cedar Penn on Wed May 14, 2014 7:25 am

Maybe, this is a pod Sid. Not the real Sid. Sent here from outer space to sabotage the team. Investigate!
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby André on Wed May 14, 2014 2:02 pm

IanMoran wrote:Crosby hasn't had his best stretch, I think that's quite obvious, but clutch is almost always small sample size. If Crosby randomly hit a rut in November, it'd be no big deal... because he randomly hit one now he's "not clutch".

Let's look at a large sample size. (I'm throwing out Barry Pederson because of so few GP)

Career playoff PPG Leaders
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/ ... aders.html

1. Gretzky
2. Lemieux
3. Messier
4. Orr
5. Bossy
6. Crosby
7. Malkin

Now, he's VERY close to Bossy, Orr, and Messier.. so once you throw in the GPG in different eras, he's easily 3rd.. behind Gretzky and Lemieux.

So 3rd most offensively productive post-season player. Yea, he can't play when it counts..

This.

Here's something I posted on TSN's Toews vs Crosby article earlier today:

Winning championships is the point of the game, but yes, they can be overestimated when looking at individual performances.

Toews is 13th among active players in playoff points/game with 0.86. 77th all time. He was at 0.6 p/g when he won his second cup, so the Hawks sure did fine without his production.

Sid is 1st among active players at 1.21 p/g, which puts him 7th all time for crying out loud. And yeah, he's scored in two straight olympic finals.

Yes, of course Toews is a great two way player, but looking at how far he is from the elite offensively he can be overestimated.

This, as many debates, is so very influenced by Crosby's impopularity.

The article was mainly about being clutch in final games, but still.

One poster actually said Sid always disappears when it matters in the playoffs. Yeah I mean he's only 7th (6th if removing Pederson) in playoff p/g all time.

With that said, Sid's playoff performance this year was disappointing, no doubt.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bdevido on Thu May 15, 2014 1:02 pm

i guess practice was too long and just not fun enough for him anymore. 10 million dollars a year, plays a GAME for a living, and is complaining about these elements? if this is in the least bit true i've lost respect for him. i'm sorry if his practices weren't up to his standards. maybe they should let him determine the length and intensity of the practices.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby superconan on Thu May 15, 2014 1:19 pm

André wrote:Toews is 13th among active players in playoff points/game with 0.86. 77th all time. He was at 0.6 p/g when he won his second cup, so the Hawks sure did fine without his production.

Sid is 1st among active players at 1.21 p/g, which puts him 7th all time for crying out loud. And yeah, he's scored in two straight olympic finals.

Yes, of course Toews is a great two way player, but looking at how far he is from the elite offensively he can be overestimated.

Toews didn't score against the Flyers (3 assists), and they still won.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bdevido on Thu May 15, 2014 1:35 pm

crosby isn't toews (or he isn't supposed to be) and we are nowhere near as good as the hawks. the entire argument is flawed.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby YtownRanger on Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 pm

bdevido wrote:i guess practice was too long and just not fun enough for him anymore. 10 million dollars a year, plays a GAME for a living, and is complaining about these elements? if this is in the least bit true i've lost respect for him. i'm sorry if his practices weren't up to his standards. maybe they should let him determine the length and intensity of the practices.

...I hadn't heard the "practice too long" statements but I don't think any pro will come out and say that type of thing in ANY public forum. Possibly he might complain to a teammate about that, but it's only clubhouse comments and not to be taken that serious...IMO. Crosby is a pro and conducts himself well (as evidence by going to St. Louis regarding the passing of his mom).
YtownRanger

Postby rgj on Thu May 15, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm not real sure exactly what thread to post this, so forgive me if I post it on two or three......

IF Bylsma is fired, it will be the SECOND coach fired in the career of SuperStars Crosby, Malkin, Fluery, and Letang.

I'm beginning to wonder that the Pens' problems may not be the coach......
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Sat May 17, 2014 4:44 pm

I am pissed at Sid for quitting on his team and fans this playoff. I will eventually forgive him but that day will come much later if the Rangers win he cup.

Everyone is too quick to say, this or that team doesn't have what it takes it win. It is a grind. The key is to stay alive until you get on the roll that is going to do it for you.

It is a shame that our captain exhibited the worst trait of some fans. He didn't think his team had what it took and instead of fighting through it, he quit.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 pm

superconan wrote:
André wrote:Toews is 13th among active players in playoff points/game with 0.86. 77th all time. He was at 0.6 p/g when he won his second cup, so the Hawks sure did fine without his production.

Toews didn't score against the Flyers (3 assists), and they still won.

It's only choking when Sid does it.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sat May 17, 2014 10:17 pm

knives of ice wrote:just as Cherry said tonight on HNIC there has never been a superstar that has taken as much abuse as #87 does. the hits and cheap shots they replayed from these playoffs were ridiculous and its not as if this penguins team has anyone that would do anything about it anyways.

66 got it 5 times worse than Crosby. 5 times.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Sat May 17, 2014 11:05 pm

topshelf66 wrote:I am pissed at Sid for quitting on his team and fans this playoff. I will eventually forgive him but that day will come much later if the Rangers win he cup.

Everyone is too quick to say, this or that team doesn't have what it takes it win. It is a grind. The key is to stay alive until you get on the roll that is going to do it for you.

It is a shame that our captain exhibited the worst trait of some fans. He didn't think his team had what it took and instead of fighting through it, he quit.

Just not believable that he quit or tanked it, regardless of his attitude or disgust over the abuse or the coaching or whatever. That would be totally against his character. All of his basic hockey skills appeared to be in serious decline since January or February. The playoffs just magnified it. No ordinary slump could explain such a significant drop-off in playing level. If he’s truthful that there is no physical injury, then I’m fearful something more ominous is affecting his brain or body.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Sat May 17, 2014 11:40 pm

It's an absurd theory. Sid took a hell of a lot of abuse for a guy that was a non-factor.

I forgive you guys for not knowing hockey well. But not for being disloyal, entitled brats who will throw anyone under the bus regardless of what they've done for the Pens -- and everywhere else, in this case.

Cup, awards, other deep play off runs - check? Nope. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. TOO LONG AGO.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rgj on Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 am

This just in.......CBC reports that Sidney Crosby's golf score is at an all-time low. It's a mystery....his ball always goes in the hole....
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tksmr2 on Thu May 22, 2014 11:17 am

Bathgate wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:I am pissed at Sid for quitting on his team and fans this playoff. I will eventually forgive him but that day will come much later if the Rangers win he cup.

Just not believable that he quit or tanked it, regardless of his attitude or disgust over the abuse or the coaching or whatever. That would be totally against his character. All of his basic hockey skills appeared to be in serious decline since January or February. The playoffs just magnified it. No ordinary slump could explain such a significant drop-off in playing level. If he’s truthful that there is no physical injury, then I’m fearful something more ominous is affecting his brain or body.

Maybe his brain is screwed up to the point that it's affecting his thought process. But, I look at game #2 and see that he still has great skill level, and were was that effort/skill and agressivness in every other playoff game, and I do include a lot of the regular season games were he could have just skated in on a goalie, but decided to look 100% pass.. something could be messed up affecting his decision making IMO.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tksmr2 on Thu May 22, 2014 11:18 am

tksmr2 wrote:
Bathgate wrote:

Maybe his brain is screwed up to the point that it's affecting his thought process. But, I look at game #2 against the Rangers and see that he still has great skill level, and were was that effort/skill and agressivness in every other playoff game, and I do include a lot of the regular season games were he could have just skated in on a goalie, but decided to look 100% pass.. something could be messed up affecting his decision making IMO.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu May 22, 2014 11:29 am

Desiato wrote:It's an absurd theory. Sid took a hell of a lot of abuse for a guy that was a non-factor.

I forgive you guys for not knowing hockey well. But not for being disloyal, entitled brats who will throw anyone under the bus regardless of what they've done for the Pens -- and everywhere else, in this case.

Cup, awards, other deep play off runs - check? Nope. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. TOO LONG AGO.

You forgive "us" for not knowing hockey well... okay, what are your credentials that place you beyond a fan?
Mario went through the same treatment, early in his career. Good player, but can't win. Plus, he had Gretzky in the league. Of whom much is given, much is expected.
Nobody is coming at Sid with burning torches.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu May 22, 2014 11:32 am

penny lane wrote:Nobody is coming at Sid with burning torches.

Based on his appearance, some people might be doing that with Malkin though!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mango Salsa on Thu May 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Someone brought this up before but in the last 3 seasons before this year Sid has played 41, 22 & 36 games. Is it possible that he just ran out of gas, much like a rookie coming up who's never played an 82 game schedule declines towards the end of the season? Add in the compressed schedule + Olympics and it's not hard to see how he could be simply drained/burned out.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GeoTank on Thu May 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:Someone brought this up before but in the last 3 seasons before this year Sid has played 41, 22 & 36 games. Is it possible that he just ran out of gas, much like a rookie coming up who's never played an 82 game schedule declines towards the end of the season? Add in the compressed schedule + Olympics and it's not hard to see how he could be simply drained/burned out.

i agree

05-06 81 gms +9 WC
06-07 79 gms +5 playoffs
07-08 53 gms +20 playoffs
08-09 77 gms +24 playoffs
09-10 81 gms +7 Olympics +13 playoffs
10-11 41 gms
11-12 22 gms +6 playoffs
12-13 36 gms +14 playoffs
13-14 80 gms +?? Olympics +13 playoffs

first real season in along time, he looked just tired
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu May 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:Someone brought this up before but in the last 3 seasons before this year Sid has played 41, 22 & 36 games. Is it possible that he just ran out of gas, much like a rookie coming up who's never played an 82 game schedule declines towards the end of the season? Add in the compressed schedule + Olympics and it's not hard to see how he could be simply drained/burned out.
This sum up my speculation on the matter. I feel he hasn't played this much hockey in a long long time and was just burnt out. Sid is nuts about his conditioning but he went through a lot the last few years and it had to effect the jump he had in his legs.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm

99% speculation here. I could not stomach past about page 3, so apologies if this has already been posted.

If you believe that Kathy Leutner is Sid's ladyfriend, and that they had major relationship issues, could that not account for Sid "lack of production"? Rossi ( I know, I know) mentioned personal problems....

Sid, all I can say is that I wish you the best with your ladyfriends, but stay away from any new ones until you win another cup.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Thu May 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Kathy Leutner went to JMU. Sid probably caught herpes from her, so that could be what's causing the issue.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins