Win or blow it up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby viva la ben on Mon May 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Trade Malkin or Crosby for Ovetchkin
:roll:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Wayne Gretzky was traded for reasons that no longer apply.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 1:56 pm

Im hesitant to get too deep into this thread until Tuesday happens, for better or for worse. Pens could win tomorrow, put it back together in the next round and suddenly we've got a shot at the cup.

That said, I'm coming around to the fact that we need Niskanen back, especially if Orpik walks. He's the only guy telling it like it is in that room, and he's backing it with his play.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Also, after consecutive playoff appearances every year since the 2007 playoffs, two finals appearances and one cup win, two olympic appearances for many, I'm beginning to think they just don't want this bad enough anymore.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tksmr2 on Mon May 12, 2014 2:06 pm

count2infinity wrote:Crosby is the most talented grinder in this league.

Problem is that he is not even attempting to grind minus the Game 2 performance. He is avoiding contact, and passing right away 95+ % of the time. I noticed this in the regular season as well, but the refs/NHL let teams get away with a lot more during the playoffs, and it's slower paced.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Gaucho wrote:Wayne Gretzky was traded for reasons that no longer apply.

I know it doesn't matter since both 87 and 71 have full NTCs and aren't going anywhere. I just used Gretzky as an example that great players get traded all the time. If Gretzky can be traded, anyone can.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon May 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Wayne Gretzky was traded for reasons that no longer apply.

I know it doesn't matter since both 87 and 71 have full NTCs and aren't going anywhere. I just used Gretzky as an example that great players get traded all the time. If Gretzky can be traded, anyone can.

A NTC does not mean that a trade is out of the question, it just means that the player has to okay it first.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Jim wrote:
A NTC does not mean that a trade is out of the question, it just means that the player has to okay it first.

Oh I know. But what player would agree to be traded OUT OF the country club?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon May 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Jim wrote:

Very true. Maybe we can get some people to feel like they are dying alive... then they will request a trade.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Jim wrote:

One that thinks he can be the captain of a winner elsewhere... I doubt Geno thinks that way, but he might have some time to reflect coming up...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby penny lane on Mon May 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Win or blow it up

I vote ~ W I N
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon May 12, 2014 3:01 pm

penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up

I vote ~ W I N

Yes.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon May 12, 2014 3:05 pm

penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up

I vote ~ W I N

It's just delaying the inevitable. They will get slaughtered in the next round and then we'll be right back here.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
Jim wrote:

One that thinks he can be the captain of a winner elsewhere... I doubt Geno thinks that way, but he might have some time to reflect coming up...

Maybe he thinks that he could be the captain of a winner in Edmonton... if only Edmonton didn't have that bastard Eberle on their roster!!! Hey wait... :) HA!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Mon May 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up

I vote ~ W I N

It's just delaying the inevitable. They will get slaughtered in the next round and then we'll be right back here.

we'll see if the bruins can slay their dragon first.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon May 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up

I vote ~ W I N

This is exactly what I'm thinking.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gabe on Mon May 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up

I vote ~ W I N

I'm ok with delaying the inevitable, if that means I get to see my boys play another 4 games this season.
That's all we really can ask for at this point. What's done is done, win with this group of Penguins, or see what the team looks like next year.
I'm still excited that we, right now, have a 1 in 8 chance of winning the cup. We get a game 7, at home. We make the most of the chance and win the series.
If we don't win, yes, make some changes. I'm not ready for that discussion yet though. We have a game to win tomorrow night.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 pm

penny lane wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up

I vote ~ W I N

we'll see if the bruins can slay their dragon first.

The Pens will get slaughtered by either Montreal or Boston. And I have to admit, the thought of Montreal and former HCMT destroying them does bring a wee smile to my face :D .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Mon May 12, 2014 3:45 pm

They might play a west coast team maybe? They all get reseeded together.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kaizer on Mon May 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:I would agree with a coaching change, but not a GM change. I don't see anyone out there right now doing a better job than Shero. The drafting could use improvement, but they can bring in more help with that. Shero has had some mis-steps, but he has also pulled a bunch of rabbits out of his hat, too. Keep Shero, but he has been said that Bylsma is his guy and if Bylsma has to go, Ray wouldnt be dumb enough to insist to go with him, would he?

Can you explain to me exactly what you see to indicate he's doing a good job? I start with the negatives.

1. His drafting has been simply putrid. His first draft was actually good, yielding Staal, Chad Johnson, and Brian Strait. 2007 brought Bortuzzo and Jake Muzzin. 2008 and 2009, nothing. Simon Despres you say? Well, they've had him for 5 years and he hasn't cut it yet and he can't even beat out Scuderi, Bortuzzo or Engelland for a roster spot. 2010? Bennett. 2012: Maatta. That's eight years of drafting that have yielded exactly one NHL forward. Pretty impressive, eh?

2. He inherited a core of Crosby, Malkin, (essentially) Staal, Fleury, and Letang. Is the organization any better now than when he arrived?

3. He has made a couple good trades for Kunitz and Neal, though I question just how valuable the latter really is given his post-season meltdowns and disappearances.. And he stole Niskanen. Funny how nobody remembers him giving up a first and two (at least potential) NHL forwards for a guy (Iginla) who everyone acknowledges was a terrible fit. Or how he gave up a former first-rounder for Brenden Morrow, who was an even worse fit.

4. He has made the roster softer every year. When he first arrived, he went out and got guys that made the Pens tough to play against. Guys like Laracque (until he "reformed"), Roberts, and Guerin. Now this roster is softer than a cotton ball. The entire team seems to shy away from contact. They whine when they get hit.

5. He has endorsed the idiotic, overly complicated system they play by continually retaining the idiot coach in the face of continued playoff failures. Bylsma should have been gone after last year's debacle, but they extended him instead.

6. he flat out gave away talent like Johnson, Muzzin, and Matt Moulson by failing to sign them. Funny how they've been searching seemingly forever for a wing for Sid, yet Shero let one go for nothing.

7. He wasted all his time this past deadline in some wishful chase of Ryan Kesler. meanwhile, accomplished scorers like Vanek were almost being given away. Oh, but I forgot, those guys don't fit our wonderful system. And in the end, Ryan Kesler would have done no better than Sutter, who would have been included in that deal.

Okay, have at it.

You know, i really like your posts when they arent in some weird psuedomedia blog style.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby marek on Mon May 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Gaucho wrote:So whose mother do we have to off to win this?

Sadly the only solution might be to "off" king henrik
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Mon May 12, 2014 3:50 pm

I think the hockey gods read LGP and determine that this fan base isn't worthy of a championship.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon May 12, 2014 4:15 pm

marek wrote:
Gaucho wrote:So whose mother do we have to off to win this?

Sadly the only solution might be to "off" king henrik

If you put good shots on net they tend to go in. It's funny.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 12, 2014 4:29 pm

This is about as painful a statement I have ever made as a Pens fan, but I now truly believe what is best for this organization moving forward is for them to lose tomorrow.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Mon May 12, 2014 4:33 pm

farnham16 wrote:This is about as painful a statement I have ever made as a Pens fan, but I now truly believe what is best for this organization moving forward is for them to lose tomorrow.

:face: I give up on PR for the remainder of the playoffs.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins