Win or blow it up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby farnham16 on Mon May 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Factorial wrote:
farnham16 wrote:This is about as painful a statement I have ever made as a Pens fan, but I now truly believe what is best for this organization moving forward is for them to lose tomorrow.


:face: I give up on PR for the remainder of the playoffs.


Hey, might sound crazy. But what good is a win tomorrow if they will just get killed by Boston? Which they would. Even if Montreal wins they probably wouldn't beat them. Then no changes get made and next year at this time we are complaining about the same problems. There is a reason the playoffs have gone this way for five years running now. This team is systemically flawed from the inside out. They are stale and need changes in the worst possible way.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,399
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 12, 2014 5:11 pm

I believe change is needed. That being said I will be never root for this team to lose. Especially in the playoffs. I just can't do it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,046
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 5:16 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Factorial wrote:
farnham16 wrote:This is about as painful a statement I have ever made as a Pens fan, but I now truly believe what is best for this organization moving forward is for them to lose tomorrow.


:face: I give up on PR for the remainder of the playoffs.


Hey, might sound crazy. But what good is a win tomorrow if they will just get killed by Boston? Which they would. Even if Montreal wins they probably wouldn't beat them. Then no changes get made and next year at this time we are complaining about the same problems. There is a reason the playoffs have gone this way for five years running now. This team is systemically flawed from the inside out. They are stale and need changes in the worst possible way.


It all depends what team shows up. If the Game 2 - Game 4 Pens show up, they have a fighting chance against either of those teams. If Games 1, 5, 6 show up, they are toast.

Im guessing it will be a mix of both and well see who comes out on top. Gotta win tomorrow though. Lets hope they channel 2009 Vs Caps and Wings and not 2010 Vs Montreal, 2011 Vs Tampa.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby BleuLineLady on Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. In fact, there is absolute zero reason to think the Pens can win this next game. They have shown nothing these last 2 games that would indicate that. They have shown nothing the last 3 years that gives me any hope for a Game 7 victory at home. We were teased into believing games 2, 3 and 4 were a reflection of a new Penguins team. More defensive responsibility, more urgency, more discipline, more hunger. But they have reverted back to the old Pens-lackadaisical, no heart, no discipline. Its a reflection of the coach. Vigneault got his team ready to play in game 5 and pushed them to be better. The Rangers upped their intensity, the Penguins have not yet shown they can match it. This is on the players, but its first and foremost on the coach. Its the coach's responsibility to get the most possible out of his players on the ice and again and again, the team has not responded favorably. This team is cooked. Take them out and stick a fork in them. They're done. And unless major changes occur, the same result will happen again next year and the year after. Bylsma has to be gone if they lose tomorrow.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 am

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 12, 2014 5:28 pm

penny lane wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up


I vote ~ W I N


It's just delaying the inevitable. They will get slaughtered in the next round and then we'll be right back here.


we'll see if the bruins can slay their dragon first.


Exactly. They're not invincible. You know, Bruins fans know it as well as anyone; chances are, any Bruins fan who sees their team as an unbeatable behemoth is under 25 and jumped on the 2011 bandwagon.

"They'll just get [insert hyperbolic term of destruction here] in the next round" has become a vacuous cliché. And those who are so coolly certain about it while, in the same breath, they rail on the team for having a supposed loser mentality and no "killer instinct" can't seem to grasp the incongruity.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,821
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
"They'll just get [insert hyperbolic term of destruction here] in the next round" has become a vacuous cliché. And those who are so coolly certain about it while, in the same breath, they rail on the team for having a supposed loser mentality and no "killer instinct" can't seem to grasp the incongruity.


It's called "realism".
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,043
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby columbia on Mon May 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Thinking they will win the cup would be "magical realism", I guess.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,449
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - XXXXX
XXXXX - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - XXXX - Dupuis
XXXX - XXXX - Adams
RFAs - Sutter, Megna
UFAs - Jokinen, Stempniak, Goc, Vitale, Glass, Gibbons

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Scuderi
XXXXX - Bortuzzo
Dumoulin
Harrington
Pouliot
RFAs - Despres
UFAs - Niskanen, Orpik, Engellang

Fleury
Zatkoff

UFAs - Vokoun

You have about 16 million to work with. Plenty of room to make change without shooting any more holes in the lineup by filling the holes with the types of players you want.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 pm

There is no way I could ever root for any Penguins team to lose.

Many people are predicting disaster tomorrow, but in reality the Pens will probably win. The Rags have been on an emotional rollercoaster that they cannot sustain for another game. They are tired. Whenever the Pens do decide to show up and go all in, they can be dominant.

My biggest concern is that the Rags have a hot goaltender, although just a few short days ago, Fleury was the hot goaltender. But I think tomorrow's game will be decided early, and the score won't be particularly close.

Too many things are going against conventional wisdom. The Pens power play will score tomorrow. Neal will score tomorrow. And the Pens will win a game 7 at home. Eventually things even themselves out, and I'm calling hidden vigorish for tomorrow's game. Pens win in a blowout.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,815
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby luv66 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 pm

columbia wrote:I want to see consistent, disciplined and structured effort.

Why I keep thinking that will happen, well, I don't know. Shame on me, apparently.



I had completely given up on this until game 2 , then I got suckered back in :?
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,036
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby luv66 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:01 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:Im hesitant to get too deep into this thread until Tuesday happens, for better or for worse. Pens could win tomorrow, put it back together in the next round and suddenly we've got a shot at the cup.

That said, I'm coming around to the fact that we need Niskanen back, especially if Orpik walks. He's the only guy telling it like it is in that room, and he's backing it with his play.


:thumb:

I feel that one can tell that Nisky is a leader because he seems to often speak to the media and that he isn't offering platitudes like almost everyone else does.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,036
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Steve Dave on Mon May 12, 2014 9:06 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:Kunitz - Crosby - XXXXX
XXXXX - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - XXXX - Dupuis
XXXX - XXXX - Adams
RFAs - Sutter, Megna
UFAs - Jokinen, Stempniak, Goc, Vitale, Glass, Gibbons

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Scuderi
XXXXX - Bortuzzo
Dumoulin
Harrington
Pouliot
RFAs - Despres
UFAs - Niskanen, Orpik, Engellang

Fleury
Zatkoff

UFAs - Vokoun

You have about 16 million to work with. Plenty of room to make change without shooting any more holes in the lineup by filling the holes with the types of players you want.


I think Samuelsson will be #7 D since he is no longer waiver exempt. Would love to lose Scuderi and re-sign Nisky and go with this...

Martin Letang
Maatta Niskanen
Despres Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Dumoulin (first call up)

Engelland re-signed as #14 forward/enforcer/swingman
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby columbia on Mon May 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Martin Letang
Maatta Niskanen
Despres Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Dumoulin (first call up)


Ding, ding, ding.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,449
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby luv66 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:Kunitz - Crosby - XXXXX
XXXXX - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - XXXX - Dupuis
XXXX - XXXX - Adams
RFAs - Sutter, Megna
UFAs - Jokinen, Stempniak, Goc, Vitale, Glass, Gibbons

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Scuderi
XXXXX - Bortuzzo
Dumoulin
Harrington
Pouliot
RFAs - Despres
UFAs - Niskanen, Orpik, Engellang

Fleury
Zatkoff

UFAs - Vokoun

You have about 16 million to work with. Plenty of room to make change without shooting any more holes in the lineup by filling the holes with the types of players you want.


I think Samuelsson will be #7 D since he is no longer waiver exempt. Would love to lose Scuderi and re-sign Nisky and go with this...

Martin Letang
Maatta Niskanen
Despres Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

Dumoulin (first call up)

Engelland re-signed as #14 forward/enforcer/swingman



As much as I would like them to, I find it very unlikely that they rid themselves of Scuds (and I was happy when they signed him). From what some of the media says it's also Shero that has soured on Despres, so if Shero is still around I expect him to be traded. Maybe the media is FoS , IDK.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,036
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon May 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Win or blow it up


I vote ~ W I N


It's just delaying the inevitable. They will get slaughtered in the next round and then we'll be right back here.


we'll see if the bruins can slay their dragon first.


The Pens will get slaughtered by either Montreal or Boston. And I have to admit, the thought of Montreal and former HCMT destroying them does bring a wee smile to my face :D .


Pessimism and optimism aside this is the dumbest thing I have read here in a while and that is saying something. You WANT the pens to lose. Gtfo dude. Seriously. Stop claiming you're a pens fan.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,090
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 pm

I'm sure the Pens would not get slaughtered by Montreal. Or Boston, for that matter.

They would be an underdog against the Bruins, for sure, but the games would be close. Rask has looked fairly ordinary against the Habs this series. As for Montreal, a series with them would be a coin flip IMO.

That's what has frustrated me about not finishing the Rangers off early. Pens would have been rested, awaiting the winner of a hard fought 7 game series.

As for the final, if the Pens were to make it that far, the Hawks would give them trouble, but they would do okay against the Kings and I think they'd beat Anaheim and Minnesota.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,815
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Desiato on Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Such black and white thinking. Anything can happen in a seven game series. That's what makes the playoffs fun.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but every remaining team has looked bad at points during these playoffs. It's not because they're all bad teams. It's because they're all good.

Despite the popular narratives and cliches, the series between the Penguins and Rangers has been an entertaining, hard fought series. The Rangers don't get enough credit here.

I have followed hockey for decades and cannot recall a time when the sports media was so sensationalistic. It's a sign of the times. All news is like that now. In many cases, sports writers are just telling us the stupid cliches we want to hear. Players too. Boston didn't lack the will to close out the Habs tonight. They didn't choke. They just got beat.

The Pens were humiliated against the Bruins and Flyers the past couple of playoffs. But that's not what's happening here. This is just the playoffs.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,193
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby sil on Tue May 13, 2014 8:05 am

We were totally going to get slaughtered against the wings in 2009 too. "Guys" like MCM would've just thrown in the towel.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Eismann on Tue May 13, 2014 8:19 am

How about Win AND Blow it Up.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,489
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 am

I don't want the team to lose but it seems the only way effective change will take place. It's a win/win and lose/lose for me. I think I'm leaning towards short term heartbreak and a bright future as opposed to short term success and destiny of infuriating repetition
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby DelPen on Tue May 13, 2014 9:00 am

Luckybreak wrote:I don't want the team to lose but it seems the only way effective change will take place. It's a win/win and lose/lose for me. I think I'm leaning towards short term heartbreak and a bright future as opposed to short term success and destiny of infuriating repetition


What's going to suck is we lose 1-0 tonight and the only changes we see are Orpik, Nisky and Jokinen leaving.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,545
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Pessimism and optimism aside this is the dumbest thing I have read here in a while and that is saying something. You WANT the pens to lose. Gtfo dude. Seriously. Stop claiming you're a pens fan.


I don't know how you could interpret that as me wanting them to lose. I want them to win. I expect them to lose.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby sil on Tue May 13, 2014 9:17 am

Eismann wrote:How about Win AND Blow it Up.


We could be like the (Florida) Marlins!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am

DelPen wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:I don't want the team to lose but it seems the only way effective change will take place. It's a win/win and lose/lose for me. I think I'm leaning towards short term heartbreak and a bright future as opposed to short term success and destiny of infuriating repetition


What's going to suck is we lose 1-0 tonight and the only changes we see are Orpik, Nisky and Jokinen leaving.


I'm hoping the collective sum of this team's post season failures since 09 is taken into account (if and) when changes are made. I'm in favour of restructuring rather than rebuilding but it will be interesting which way the pendulum swings (I thought DB would be gone after Flyers disaster, convinced after Bruins humiliation).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Win or blow it up

Postby Kharlamov on Tue May 13, 2014 9:28 am

DelPen wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:I don't want the team to lose but it seems the only way effective change will take place. It's a win/win and lose/lose for me. I think I'm leaning towards short term heartbreak and a bright future as opposed to short term success and destiny of infuriating repetition


What's going to suck is we lose 1-0 tonight and the only changes we see are Orpik, Nisky and Jokinen leaving.


I am afraid of this scenario as well.

High likelihood of Game 7's being very low scoring. King Henrik is playing great, and has a great game 7 history.

Too high of salary for Letang and a salary at all for Scuderi pose a problem for retaining any of those guys you mentioned.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

e-mail