'14 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'14 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon May 12, 2014 7:46 am

Pens lose 3-1

- Can't win if you don't score. Biggest Issue is with scoring on Lundquist
- Rangers are inspired, St. Louis' Mom's passing has fueled them for the last two games, but that ends on Tuesday
- Sid is hurting now both mentally & physically. Not sure which came first. He passes immediately, not even trying to score
- Gibbons on PK seemed like our best chance to score... moar Gibbons (first to eat crow on this guy)
- MAF did let in a stinker, but they still would have lost 2-1
- Many Pens players can play better, I've got to believe they can pull out game 7
- NY Media & some players called out the NYR fans, we should be doing the same for da 'Burgh, make the CEC home ice for game 7
- Maatta looks looks a little unsure of himself at time, which makes him look slow.
- Squirting water has become the new thing.... where's Matthew Barnaby when you need him?
- Scuds is a dud
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby DelPen on Mon May 12, 2014 7:51 am

James Neal needs carried. Switch him and Malkin and see what happens. With the way Sutter and Jokinen have been playing Malkin might make that even better. At least he wouldn't be dragged down by Kunitz and Crosby.

This looked like a game in December and not a playoff game.

Twice now we could have tied it up at 2 but never got a good shot on net.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon May 12, 2014 8:15 am

- I turned it off after half-way through the 3rd. Once NYR gets up to 3 goals, it's over. Hank can do the rest.
- Upon seeing that Hank has a shoulder owy, why weren't the Pens taking liberties on him? I mean, if Sid is going to hack at guys that are playing mean to him and take needless penalties, why not at least make it worth it and whack the broken goalie? This is the playoffs!!!
- Rags found the key to the Pens vault. Hack and slash the captain, get him flustered and then the door falls off (Flyers must have given them the cheat sheet).

Do I even bother watching game 7? Probably, but the TV turns off the moment the Rags get 3 goals. Hank can do the rest.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Mon May 12, 2014 8:25 am

Frustrated it so many ways, so I'll keep it simple:

- Power play is atrocious
- Lundqvist is a wall against breakaways
- Our passing is horrible

Overall, the single biggest thing is the compete level. The Pens were once again out hustled and out worked, plain and simple. How do they seem to "get it" for a few games, look dominant and win, and then decide "hey, that worked, so let's not do that anymore". I'm trying to stay positive, but I honestly expect this game 7 to be like the one against Montreal in 2010 or against Tampa in 2011.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Mon May 12, 2014 8:25 am

Why the NHL continues to push this sort of "playoff hockey" that beats down the stars & instead helps the thugs and goons is beyond me. While I definitely think there is something wrong with Crosby in terms of an injury, the manner in which Crosby, Malkin, etc are being constantly hacked & slashed certainly doesn't help. I don't want the "proper" response to be taking runs at Lundqvist or St. Louis or whoever. It's frustrating to watch and takes away from the potential of the playoffs, in my opinion. But I guess I just don't like the consistently-reminded "old time hockey" that Jones, Roenick, & Milbury love so much.

That being said, Lundqvist is playing very well. The Rangers are also showing a ton of energy (and getting away with so many penalties). Kreider was flying all around that game (and, as Lange / Bourque described, also running the goalie for only a 2-minute penalty).

The Pens, meanwhile, don't seem to have the same sense of urgency. They turned the switch on for games 2-4; it's now turned off again. The reason why a player such as Gibbons receives so much praise this postseason is because he's one of the few who seemed to have consistently matched that intensity of the Rangers / Blue Jackets. Him, Goc, Stempniak, and Sutter are my highlights for the forwards; Martin and Niskanen my defensive stars thus far. Our bottom six has outshone the top six these playoffs, in my opinion. Which, unfortunately, can't happen if you want to win.

Not feeling positive about game 7. Agree with Dejan that big changes need to occur with this team, even though the potential for a very strong team is there. They just don't seem to have the grit needed.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon May 12, 2014 8:35 am

I'm starting to get on board with the "fire DB!" crowd. he just doesn't seem to adjust. I thought he had turned the corner on this when he figured out how to counter CBJ's forecheck. the last 2 games he's adjusted nothing.

Lundqvist: a d*****bag just like the rest of them:

will the NHL fine him? I say no.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slipshod on Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 am

1st shift Tuesday I send Vitale on a 100 mph mission straight into Lundquist with an old time hockey cross check to the head.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon May 12, 2014 8:40 am

The pens forgot their path to the goalie. Since friday, long shots and pass, pass, pass and more pass.
#71, flower, sutter, jussi, adams have to take over. Last eve, I would have tried neal, evgeni and kunitz. Sid isn't shooting and his passing is off, a bit. Sid isn't offering explanations as to why he will not shoot the puck. Like the reporters aren't permitted to ask; 1 shot on goal with 4 or 5 power plays? A question for all in penguin land ; is a 50% Sid the best option?( when we discovered his injuries)

Coach Dan, you've got to find the words, the actions that allows the pens to play without fear tomorrow.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon May 12, 2014 8:49 am

Just read the Dejan article...yeah, what he said.

So let me get this straight. If the Rangers want to win a game, they can. The only time we could beat them was when they didn't want to win? Says a lot about the talent on our team.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 am

I have to imagine these guys all really want to win the Stanley Cup. They all want to be the ones left standing. So why is there a lack of fire almost every night?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:I have to imagine these guys all really want to win the Stanley Cup. They all want to be the ones left standing. So why is there a lack of fire almost every night?

Maybe they don't really want it. Who knows. I want to be a millionaire. I also don't necessarily want the effort and responsibility that comes along with it. Is Sid injured? Maybe. Something is wrong. But he was like this against the B's last year. He was like this against the Flyers in 2012 and Habs in 2010.

What I would do is:

Put Sid on a line with Vitale and Gibbons. This is now your 3rd line. Seriously, here me out. Let them match with Sid.
Put Geno with Kunitz and Neal. Sutter with Bennett and Stempniak. I don't want 87 and 71 on the ice at the same time, except on the playoffs. Maybe.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cedar Penn on Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 am

Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Mon May 12, 2014 9:06 am

penny lane wrote:The pens forgot their path to the goalie. Since friday, long shots and pass, pass, pass and more pass.
#71, flower, sutter, jussi, adams have to take over. Last eve, I would have tried neal, evgeni and kunitz. Sid isn't shooting and his passing is off, a bit. Sid isn't offering explanations as to why he will not shoot the puck. Like the reporters aren't permitted to ask; 1 shot on goal with 4 or 5 power plays? A question for all in penguin land ; is a 50% Sid the best option?( when we discovered his injuries)

Coach Dan, you've got to find the words, the actions that allows the pens to play without fear tomorrow.

Agreed,

Kunitz - Neal
Letang/Nisky - Martin - Malkin
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 am

Trade em all, rebuild around Gibbons.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 am

My, now unrealistic expectations, had the Pens beating these less talented slugs in 5 or 6. Then beating the Habs in 6/7 or if it was the B's, with a slightly <50% of winning the ECF's. My bar was set too high. Seems to be case every year.

Last night the Rags were significantly faster to puck. All night. So much for 35 games in 12 days factor the Rags faced.
Humperdink
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon May 12, 2014 9:31 am

Seems, in searching for an identity, they just decided to recycle the old one.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 am

This team has no heart. Shane Falco isn't even a real person and he has more heart than the Pens.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PAPLine on Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 am

I didn't get to see any of the game last night until the third period.
My sense was that the Pens had no urgency to try to score and tie the game. They seemed to be going through the motions, sort of like the Rangers in games 3 and 4.
Having watched the playoffs for the last several years, I think this team needs a major shake-up. And not just HCDB, but some of our "star" players. Except for games 3 and 4 in this series, there just has not been any desire, or interest in doing what it takes to win. If the is playing "the right way" then maybe we need a new "the right way."
This team has enough talent that it can skate through the regular season wan win games, because the opposition cannot take the time to set up game plans for three different teams a week. In the playoffs, they see a team for 4 to 7 games in a row, so plans can be set up. HCDB has been outcoached for each of the last series that the Pens have been involved in. We have won three of those series, but not because of coaching.
My biggest concern going into this series was, and continues to be Bylsma vs Vigneault.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 am

My uneducated order of blame :
1. MAF
2. Scuderi
3. Shero (wasting money on Scuderi, not signing a real winger for Sid after Duper was lost for the season, plus mindless other crap)
4. Sid (hurt or not, he has been a completely different player dating back to last years playoffs)
5. Dan
6. Borts (I like the kid, but his delay of game penalty early in game 5 resulted in the games first goal and got the rangers PP going and was basically the beginning of all this ****)
7. Kunitz/Neal (they need to produce, but i give them a small pass considering Dan for some reason has blown up the top two lines he used the ENTIRE season)
8. Letang (please stop the pinching so damn early in the games. Just play defense.)
9. Refs (I can not even explain some of the stuff they are letting go in this series)
10. Entire team (focus... there should be no more team penalties in game 7. IE, no more too many men on the ice)
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:37 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:My uneducated order of blame :
1. MAF
2. Scuderi
3. Shero (wasting money on Scuderi, not signing a real winger for Sid after Duper was lost for the season, plus mindless other crap)
4. Sid (hurt or not, he has been a completely different player dating back to last years playoffs)
5. Dan
6. Borts (I like the kid, but his delay of game penalty early in game 5 resulted in the games first goal and got the rangers PP going and was basically the beginning of all this ****)
7. Kunitz/Neal (they need to produce, but i give them a small pass considering Dan for some reason has blown up the top two lines he used the ENTIRE season)
8. Letang (please stop the pinching so damn early in the games. Just play defense.)
9. Refs (I can not even explain some of the stuff they are letting go in this series)
10. Entire team (focus... there should be no more team penalties in game 7. IE, no more too many men on the ice)

for number 3 do you mean trade for a winger? I mean what quality top line winger is available for signing in the middle of a season?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby PAPLine on Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 am

What a difference a day makes.
Last night after the game, there were about 1,500 tickets for sale on ticket exchange with a low price of $100.
This morning, there are almost 2,200 tickets with a low price of $82. Once the 10% is taken off, that is not even breakeven.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 12, 2014 9:39 am

darkstar57 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:My uneducated order of blame :
1. MAF
2. Scuderi
5. Dan

for number 3 do you mean trade for a winger? I mean what quality top line winger is available for signing in the middle of a season?

I never said middle of the season, those are your words.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 am

PAPLine wrote:What a difference a day makes.
Last night after the game, there were about 1,500 tickets for sale on ticket exchange with a low price of $100.
This morning, there are almost 2,200 tickets with a low price of $82. Once the 10% is taken off, that is not even breakeven.

Say goodbye to the sellout streak, unless they offer up 2,000 student rush tickets
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 9:41 am

-for our next goalie, i'd rather have a marshmallow man than an athlete. fleury doesn't fill the net. last night wasn't even a meltdown. he's just not going to be reliable enough, ever. not with his size and how he plays.
-sid might be hurt, but he's also got this issue of thinking his backhand is as good as everyone tells him it is. i don't think an injured back or neck or whatever has much to do with flinging the puck all over the ice without much of a chance of good things happening.
-the power play is lousy...see my last point for details
-i guess it was too much to ask for our scrubs at the bottom of the lineup to maybe try to hit someone.
-the rangers have a good team. i don't know why they were sleep walking for the first 12 games of the playoffs. a consolation is that the flyers sucked bad enough to lose to the comatose version.
-i'm not feeling the "fire bylsma" vibe like i was the last 2 years. i don't think this team is very good, and they're playing things out accordingly. blowing a 3-1 lead would be pretty terrible, but i thought our historic impotence last year and our circus act the year before were much bigger issues relating to coaching.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cedar Penn on Mon May 12, 2014 9:42 am

BurghThing wrote:
PAPLine wrote:What a difference a day makes.

Say goodbye to the sellout streak, unless they offer up 2,000 student rush tickets

The writing is on the wall. Tomorrow night the wall comes down :face:
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins