'14 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby TrueNorth on Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Cedar Penn wrote:I'm starting to lose respect for Crosby. No, really.......

Why?
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Penspal wrote:- Can we please call down to WBS and call up Moe Mentum? Despres-lately needed for game 7

FTFY
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the riddler on Mon May 12, 2014 1:29 pm

- The Penguins defensive coverage on St. Louis' goal was embarrassing. Almost all 5 players were out of position.
- Bortuzzo made a costly pinch on the second goal. Hagelin out skated Scuderi to score.
- That pairing is a major problem right now. They can't get the puck out of the zone quick enough.
- Time to break up Malkin and Crosby. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Kunitz-Crosby-Neal. I think Malkin is going strong enough that he doesn't need a lot with him.
- The third line has been ineffective for most of the series. Sutter would give them some better depth. Goc just doesn't have much offensive skill and they spend too much time in their own zone with the current 3rd line.
- The Rangers are forcing the Penguins to the middle of the ice. Getting the puck deep and outworking them will be the key for Game 7. They can't wait 10 minutes to start playing that way.
- Not sure what they need on the pp but it looks out of sort. Maybe go back to what they used for most of the season. Malkin-Niskanen on the point. Kunitz-Crosby-Neal down low.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon May 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
Penspal wrote:- Can we please call down to WBS and call up Moe Mentum? Despres-lately needed for game 7

FTFY

Attaboy, was thinking that exact thing.

Okay, Rangers got two motivational wins for Marty & his Mom. I give them full credit for playing to their potential, but on Tuesday night, its the Pens turn. Crosby has been checked well, and is in a funk. If he doesn't start well on Tuesday night, take him away from Malkin & put Malkin with Neal and Kunitz. If that doesn't wake up Sid, nothing will.

I'm thinking Sid has an upper body injury, which explains why he's not shooting and why he's taking face offs in his sweep stick to boards style (and winning > 50%). However, he can still hit, block shots and do what leaders do, get out there and hunt!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Mon May 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Why so negative? This is a re-tooling/re-building year.

I think the past 3 weeks have blinded some of you. Do you not remember what this team has been doing since January?

This team has been playing .500 hockey since January/February. 5 months of .500 hockey and people are surprised that the team is this inconsistent? Sid has been "off" since pre-Sochi. The PP has been struggling for a while. The bottom 6 has stunk all year. The team has been short, small, and soft all season. Scuder and Adams have been anchors since October.

This is the WORST roster Shero has assembled since 2008/2009 and yet we are 1 win away from the Eastern Conference Finals for the 2nd time in 2 years.

Nobody looks at this roster and figures that this is our CEILING? I think in March we had a general LGP consensus that this team wasn't built for a long playoff run. Well, we somehow have managed to go on a long run with a lineup riddled with holes.

I figured our ceiling this season was winning 2 rounds (8 playoff wins). Factor in a slumping Sid, awful PP, Scuderi, giving away game 5 for free, I think we should be happy to be 3-3 right now in this series. If you are upset right now it's simply because of the sequence in which the games were Won and Lost. The series deserves to be 3-3. NYR have been better than us since February. It is no great embarrassment or failure to lose to them. Losing 3 in a row would suck but look at our roster, what about that roster gives you the feeling that we should steamroll our way to the Cup Finals?

Best case scenario is we win tomorrow and then win 1 or 2 games vs Boston for a total of 9 or 10 playoff games won. If we lose tomorrow we end the season with a total of 7 playoff games won. So the end of the road is near. This team wasn't built to win a cup this year. 7 wins, 8 wins, 9 wins in the postseason.....that's about all I figured we'd be able to muster with this group.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Penspal wrote:- Any love/hate for Bennett taking a couple of penalties in this game?

he got 2 minutes for being stronger than st louis. the optics on that were unfortunate. it wasn't a penalty. the high stick...well, he's usually surgical with his pick pocketing. this time it didn't work out for him.

overall, the timing was bad, but these weren't lazy or reckless penalties.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cedar Penn on Mon May 12, 2014 1:41 pm

TrueNorth wrote:

Why?

He lacks composure and leadership skills.
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Mon May 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Penspal wrote:- Any love/hate for Bennett taking a couple of penalties in this game?
- Anyone see lineup changes for the next game?
- Can we please call down to WBS and call up Moe Mentum? Desperately needed for game 7

I wouldn't be shocked to see Glass in for Bennett only because it will get Gibbons more ice time.

Gibbons-Goc-Stempniak
Glass-Vitale-Adams

That nmight be a better bottom 6 than what we have been seeing even if it means Bennett is scratched.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon May 12, 2014 1:51 pm

the riddler wrote:- Time to break up Malkin and Crosby. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Kunitz-Crosby-Neal. I think Malkin is going strong enough that he doesn't need a lot with him.

If he doesn't need a lot with him, why are you putting our two best wingers with him?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon May 12, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm not saying the Pens didn't play hard, but they didn't play hard enough. The Rangers played harder and like they wanted it more.

Shifting the lines around, this player playing better or this guy played worse...blah blah blah. The Penguins know how to break Henry and they know how to beat the Ranger's system. There are no real "changes" they need to make. The lines have worked, the strategies have worked...PLAY HARDER AND MORE DISCIPLINED!

The Penguins have to want it more and play like it. That's how they're gonna win. IMO it doesn't get much deeper than that.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon May 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Bennett is my favorite player on this team but the cold hard reality is that he is being paid to put the biscuit in the basket, not carry it around all day long until he gets dispossessed. His stick skills are too good to not be producing anything. A message to him wouldn't be the worst idea.

Wait, did I say Bennett? I meant Crosby.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Penspal wrote:- Can we please call down to WBS and call up Moe Mentum? Desperately needed for game 7

I first read this as calling up Moe Mantha...
then thought - that might actually be an upgrade to Scuderi.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Cedar Penn wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:

Why?

He lacks composure, which is why it took him a dozen games to finally react to all the crap he has to put up with?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 12, 2014 2:10 pm

DelPen wrote:
- Can we please call down to WBS and call up Moe Mentum? Desperately needed for game 7

I wouldn't be shocked to see Glass in for Bennett only because it will get Gibbons more ice time.

Gibbons-Goc-Stempniak
Glass-Vitale-Adams

That nmight be a better bottom 6 than what we have been seeing even if it means Bennett is scratched.

I never thought i would say this, but how about harry z? I hated the signing, but the guy is quick and has an edge to him that gets under your skin (even mine). I would like to see him with gibbons on the PK, that speed would create some things.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cedar Penn on Mon May 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Cedar Penn wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:

Why?

He lacks composure, which is why it took him a dozen games to finally react to all the crap he has to put up with?

So, that is why he is doing so poorly? The refs are against him? Well, how about leadership?
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I'm not saying the Pens didn't play hard, but they didn't play hard enough. The Rangers played harder and like they wanted it more.

Shifting the lines around, this player playing better or this guy played worse...blah blah blah. The Penguins know how to break Henry and they know how to beat the Ranger's system. There are no real "changes" they need to make. The lines have worked, the strategies have worked...PLAY HARDER AND MORE DISCIPLINED!

The Penguins have to want it more and play like it. That's how they're gonna win. IMO it doesn't get much deeper than that.

This is where I am. They had the keys to the kingdom in games 2-4. They've burned Henrik in the past.

I suppose it's a silver lining that they have no choice but to go all out, since the alternative is to go home. I do think they care and don't want that.

So, practice is termed as optional and doesn't start until the odd time of 4:00pm, according to Yohe. Some guys are going to be held prisoner in the video room.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 12, 2014 2:17 pm

I think talking about leadership is futile and unproductive. If we asked each LGP member for a 300-word essay on the definition of "leadership," we'll see that, like snowflakes, no two definitions of leadership are the same.

"I know it when I see it" (Justice Potter Stewart) doesn't qualify, as no two people perceive things exactly the same way.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:"I know it when I see it" (Justice Potter Stewart) doesn't qualify

Sure it does.

I imagine that you have worked for some good leaders in your professional career and a few duds alogn the way. (Maybe more than a few. :) ) Good leaders are rarely alike, but you know them when you see them.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Cedar Penn wrote:So, that is why he is doing so poorly? The refs are against him?

That's not at all what I was saying, but whatever.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Mon May 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Cedar Penn wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:

Why?

I think he has shown remarkable composure throughout the playoffs, up until the last game that is. I think he led the way for his team and they followed. While I’m not celebrating his loss of composure last night, I certainly understand it. The abuse he has taken throughout this series and the last is unreal, and the lack of response from the refs and his teammates mind boggling. That he’d finally had enough is not surprising.

I think some people have expectations of Sid that are totally unrealistic. He isn’t a machine that operates devoid of feelings or that is capable of playing at an elite level regardless of what might be going on physically, psychologically or emotionally. Like everyone else he has a breaking point, and there is a limit to how much weight he can carry on his shoulders before his knees buckle or how much abuse he can take before he fights back. I actually think it’s amazing how much abuse he takes from all quarters--on and off the ice--and yet still soldiers on. I wonder how many of his detractors would be able to handle it the way he does. My guess is, not very many.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 pm

^ the easiest thing for Sid to do should be to shoot the puck. He refuses, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 5 on 3... why?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon May 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Cedar Penn wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:

Why?

You forgot "lazy", "stupid" and "disrespectful."
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cedar Penn on Mon May 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Pitts wrote:
Cedar Penn wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:

Why?

You forgot "lazy", "stupid" and "disrespectful."

That's quite a ruckus.
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 pm

At least his penalties got him on the score sheet for more than just ice time...

Chris Beech pt2?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon May 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Cedar Penn wrote:So, that is why he is doing so poorly? The refs are against him?

That's not at all what I was saying, but whatever.

Well, if the refs called the crap that he has to put up with... but they don't... so...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins