It's more of a philosophy problem than a player problem

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

It's more of a philosophy problem than a player problem

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 12, 2014 9:52 am

I'm not so sure the penguins game plan can win in the playoffs. The up tempo, north-south, precision game plan just runs into far too many road bumps in the quicker hockey that is played during the playoffs. Space is taken away, any fumble/miss of a pass means the puck is going the other way.

It's chaos... and the players that the penguins require to execute this system just do not react well to chaos. This team is not made to battle in front of the net at either end of the ice. They don't win physical battles down low, they are built to never get into those battles in the first place - but we know during the playoffs that kind of uncontested puck is a legacy.

While the answer may revolve around personal issues, I still think the core can succeed because they are very talented, but I think the team has to learn to play a closer puck-supporting system where we actually see the forwards on the TV screen when our defense has the puck rather than all 3 of them already moving up ice looking for an in-stride 2 line pass. I thought the biggest differences in games 2-4 vs games 5-6 were the number of times the penguins forwards were in their own end supporting the puck out of the zone. I might have had selective viewing in that case - or perhaps the rangers adjusted, hard to say.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: It's more of a philosophy problem than a player problem

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon May 12, 2014 10:16 am

We have won games so I find it hard to dump on the whole system. What the system requires though is for its talented players to actually be on their game which only Malkin is.

Unlike the B's and Flyers series, I am not visibly noticing the Rags' adjustments. We are getting outworked and doing a lot of dump and chase with forwards who no heart to do the chase.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 am

Our system works, you saw it in games 2-4. It's consistency that's the problem. Some days we're untouchable, some days we look like crap. Can't win in the postseason when you bring it every other night.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Hey, no argument - we've won a ton of regular season games, and maybe that's good enough, you can't argue that success or the position it puts you in for the post season.

But we've seen this team struggle with clearly inferior opponents, the same opponents they mop the deck with during the regular season. The games look different because they are different.

Games 2-4 did not look anything like the stretch pass, north/south game the penguins play during the regular season. Perhaps it was more of a determination in the penguins forwards working hard in the neutral zone, and that's why it looked different, or perhaps the rangers just being absolute slugs.. I don't know. From what I can remember I saw great puck support coming out of our zone, no need to rely on a puck moving d-man's first pass.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cu11en on Mon May 12, 2014 12:52 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote: This team is not made to battle in front of the net at either end of the ice. They don't win physical battles down low, they are built to never get into those battles in the first place - but we know during the playoffs that kind of uncontested puck is a legacy.

Exactly. Look at 3 of the 4 Ranger goals last night, including the one they scored on themselves. All ugly, random puck bouncing plays earned through physical play around the crease.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 12, 2014 1:26 pm

ulf wrote:Our system works, you saw it in games 2-4. It's consistency that's the problem. Some days we're untouchable, some days we look like crap. Can't win in the postseason when you bring it every other night.

When north-south becomes east-west, the plane becomes difficult to control. And our pilots insist on going east-west way too often.

Why is this so hard?

Pens ------------------------------------------------------> Goalie
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Going by the last 2 games the Rangers beat us in hustle, taking away our time and space. We did not match their work ethic on the ice... They adjusted their game plan, we didn't change, same lines, Malkin SId Kunitz and jokenin Neal Stempy. i mean lets put Neal and Malkin together again. Crosby Kunitz and Gibby or Stempy...

Our players seemed suprised we were facing a team that was going to work harder than us, play a desperate style of hockey. Our guys were not up for the game. Team leaders not getting the team up? maybe the coaching staff not making the players undertand how much harder we needed to play. Maybe the coaching staff didn't realize the Rangers were playing a more uptempo game????
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_srq on Mon May 12, 2014 8:25 pm

I blame it on the 5th line
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins