Matt Niskanen

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Matt Niskanen

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 12, 2014 4:54 pm

With all that Shero has done and everything he has to do this summer, I really think his first priority has to be re-signing Matt Niskanen. If we lose out on the opportunity to re-sign this guy because of contracts like Scuderi and Letang it will come back to haunt us for a long time. This guy has really become a very reliable d-man for us and has been one of the very few who seem to have decided to show up for the playoffs. We could have re-signed him this past summer, but Shero decided to let him play out his final year. He may have priced himself up a level and if he goes to market he will most certainly get more than anyone would have thought possible last summer but at this point who can argue that our best d-men are Martin and Niskanen?

Also, we are not the only ones who are noticing Niski:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25739152/avs-could-take-shot-at-niskanen
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=2667
http://mynhltraderumors.com/2014/05/05/nhl-rumors-i-wings-sharks-niskanen-fiddler-boyle-gretzky-and-carlyle/
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/05/red_wings_options_for_right-ha.html
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Matt Niskanen

Postby DelPen on Mon May 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Unless he takes a massive discount he's gone.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 12, 2014 5:01 pm

What is a "massive discount"?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby marek on Mon May 12, 2014 5:02 pm

Crankshaft wrote:What is a "massive discount"?

Scuderi money lol
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 5:08 pm

marek wrote:

Scuderi money lol

4Y/16M, and Scuderi is moved to free up cash.

Martin - Letang - Minute eating legitimate top pairing.
Maatta - Niskanen - Chemistry is there, and Maatta will continue to improve
Despres - Bortuzzo - Good combination of size, toughness, puck moving and affordability.
Dumoulin

Harrington
Pouliot
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Mon May 12, 2014 5:16 pm

You re-sign that man and slap an "A" on his sweater.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm

He's gone.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Bioshock wrote:You re-sign that man and slap an "A" on his sweater.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon May 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Gaucho wrote:He's gone.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Mon May 12, 2014 6:28 pm

He goooone. I hate to say it but he is going to get 5+, if not 6 and there is no way we can afford that. We only overpay for headcases and old bags past their time.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm

A pox on the Shero house for letting it get this far when Niskanen could have been had for 4-5m mid-season.

And that isn't a case of hindsight, either. Guy's been nothing but solid for 90% of his Pens tenure. I would have supported an extension in July.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Mon May 12, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm not sure Nisky is either of those. However, we can't afford him either way. Oh well, he surpassed everyone's expectations and made the Gogo trade a flat out steal.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Mon May 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Nisky to the Wings at 6/year for 4 years.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby neophool on Mon May 12, 2014 8:13 pm

maaaaattaaa / niskanen and letang/martin is way to soft for a top 4. but then again, Scuderi doesn't add any toughness.

ideally, we get a top 4 with some real snarl and loose scuderi/orpik/niskanen. no idea how/who.

maybe Despres will be so pissed at how he was rubbernanded this year he becomes a real nasty D man to play against. one can only hope.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 am

He's going to get a huge payday. He deserves it also. I know people say "contract year" but really the guy shed the troubles of an old team and grew into the NHL dman I believe he was always projected to become.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby no name on Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 am

Some major moves would have to be made to sign him, like moving Letang first. Its going to be a intresting off season. Detroit and the Avs are rumored to be intrested in him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue May 13, 2014 9:04 am

Some team will be dumb enough to offer 6 years/$30 million.

Best I can see is offering 4 years/$14 million and that's only if you can move Scuderi too.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 13, 2014 9:06 am

no name wrote:Some major moves would have to be made to sign him, like moving Letang first. Its going to be a intresting off season. Detroit and the Avs are rumored to be intrested in him.

You could keep Letang, move Scuderi and sign Niskanen for about 4 years/18 million and still be OK.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Tue May 13, 2014 9:12 am

Crankshaft wrote:
no name wrote:Some major moves would have to be made to sign him, like moving Letang first. Its going to be a intresting off season. Detroit and the Avs are rumored to be intrested in him.

You could keep Letang, move Scuderi and sign Niskanen for about 4 years/18 million and still be OK.

But why would he take less than 5 a year when the Flyers have set the bar at 5 for MacDonald?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Tue May 13, 2014 1:13 pm

He will get 5.5-6.5 is my guess. Best bet I would guess at him staying here with a "discount" is 5 a year, and that is best case.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Factorial wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

But why would he take less than 5 a year when the Flyers have set the bar at 5 for MacDonald?

Not saying that he would. I don't believe in home town discounts. I think 95% of athletes don't have the luxury of taking them nor do they really want to. However, I think Nisky falls into the category who would take slightly less. This is a guy who has found a home in Pittsburgh. He was considered one of the worst players in the league and was a garbage throw away in the Neal deal and he really turned his game around. I have a feeling he might take slightly less to stay in a situation that he feels really comfortable in, after going through what he did in Dallas.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Factorial wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Not saying that he would. I don't believe in home town discounts. I think 95% of athletes don't have the luxury of taking them nor do they really want to. However, I think Nisky falls into the category who would take slightly less. This is a guy who has found a home in Pittsburgh. He was considered one of the worst players in the league and was a garbage throw away in the Neal deal and he really turned his game around. I have a feeling he might take slightly less to stay in a situation that he feels really comfortable in, after going through what he did in Dallas.

If any of his success is attributable to DB will he be as likely to stay should the coaching staff change?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Was just about to bring that up. I'd be slightly wary of throwing money at him if the coach were to be changed, unless the offensive system stayed the same/similar to what we have now. A system change could set Niskanen back.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 13, 2014 1:39 pm

If Nisky signs a big money deal somewhere else, then he's probably going to be looked at as a #1 or 2 guy and have higher expectations on him. If he stays here and is still #3 on the depth chart and doesn't have to worry about "being the guy", then I think he would be fine.

It's not like any system change they bring will be worlds different than what it is now. If anything, he would probably benefit from a bit more structure and stability.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue May 13, 2014 2:15 pm

I would rather they put that money towards a real physical defenseman that can also play D. (not a "real physical" dman, but a real "physical dman"). Not someone like Oprik who usually stands around, occasionally hits someone along the boards, but usually just pushes people into Fleury. I want someone that can actually skate and can actually clear the crease in the correct direction. We have enough offensive dmen and prospects.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins