Pittsburgh fans need to be louder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pittsburgh fans need to be louder

Postby Nibs on Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 pm

I'm a die hard Penguins fans from Toronto. Been following them since the early 90's. I truley believe that the players feed off the fans energy, and I think that Consol is really quiet. If you watch other teams, the fans are much louder. I feel even if the team doesn't come out to play, the fans energy can wake them up. I never see the fans stand up at Consol, the blue jackets fans were standing up for almost half the game, that's how excited they were and it sure helped their team play better. I think the fans in Pittsburgh need to be called out, not sure why they haven't yet. I hope the CEC is all fired up for game 7 and the rest of the playoffs.
Nibs
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Pittsburgh fans need to be louder

Postby Eismann on Mon May 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Nibs wrote:I'm a die hard Penguins fans from Toronto. Been following them since the early 90's. I truley believe that the players feed off the fans energy, and I think that Consol is really quiet. If you watch other teams, the fans are much louder. I feel even if the team doesn't come out to play, the fans energy can wake them up. I never see the fans stand up at Consol, the blue jackets fans were standing up for almost half the game, that's how excited they were and it sure helped their team play better. I think the fans in Pittsburgh need to be called out, not sure why they haven't yet. I hope the CEC is all fired up for game 7 and the rest of the playoffs.

Fans in every arena get quiet when their team gets down.

Why do I keep replying to these threads?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:50 pm

The team needs to be called out. They are playing like crap. It would be nice if CEC would be like Montreal etc, but it's not. It's just how it is. CEC gets plenty loud when there is something worth cheering for. Lots of fans sit on their hands because the team gives them a reason to by always expecting the worse at home in the playoffs(recently).
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Wasn't that way in 2009.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Fans can scream as loudly as possible. Unfortunately the design of the CEC keeps it from being an intimidating and noisy place.

The old arena, as has been noted, was designed specifically as a concert venue. It was perfect for conducting noise. Add to that the seats being closer to the ice, and that place could get loud.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon May 12, 2014 9:19 pm

We need another gold out. I have to believe that fans are louder when they feel united like that.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 pm

The place will be loud at puck drop it always is. The team needs to then not come out and lay an egg in the first 10 minutes, or worse let up a goal. If the team comes out and takes the body, plays smart, and doesn't get dominated ... the place will be rocking well after puck drop. The fans are going to be a bit apprehensive to begin with, so don't make it worse by coming out like crap(hello game 5).

MSG was a morgue for games 3 and 4, especially 4 in NYC. The Pens style of play, puck possession, and fast start(in game 4) helped in those games. Game 6 the Rags come out, get a few big goals early and MSG Is rocking like its 1994.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Fans can scream as loudly as possible. Unfortunately the design of the CEC keeps it from being an intimidating and noisy place.

The old arena, as has been noted, was designed specifically as a concert venue. It was perfect for conducting noise. Add to that the seats being closer to the ice, and that place could get loud.

/Begin rant. CEC is a friggen dump. It was rushed to get done because of the excitement of the team sticking around. There's no room between seats or in front of them and God forbid, if someone ever has a major medical emergency their family might as well start making funeral arrangements because no one's getting to them. Additionally, the stairs are so deep that some drunk is going to slip and fall and break his neck one day and we will be hearing about a massive lawsuit. In short, my seven year old nephew could build a better arena and I really wish that they would have contracted him for his services because he could have done a whole lot better. Stupid *** lazy architects. They were more concerned in being "green" than designing a space designed for sound to travel and echo. Finally, I am not an exceptionally huge guy. I would reckon there a lot of plus sized individuals, fat tall or otherwise that avoid it because they cannot fit. /End rant.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon May 12, 2014 10:33 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Fans can scream as loudly as possible. Unfortunately the design of the CEC keeps it from being an intimidating and noisy place.

/Begin rant. CEC is a friggen dump. It was rushed to get done because of the excitement of the team sticking around. There's no room between seats or in front of them and God forbid, if someone ever has a major medical emergency their family might as well start making funeral arrangements because no one's getting to them. Additionally, the stairs are so deep that some drunk is going to slip and fall and break his neck one day and we will be hearing about a massive lawsuit. In short, my seven year old nephew could build a better arena and I really wish that they would have contracted him for his services because he could have done a whole lot better. Stupid *** lazy architects. They were more concerned in being "green" than designing a space designed for sound to travel and echo. Finally, I am not an exceptionally huge guy. I would reckon there a lot of plus sized individuals, fat tall or otherwise that avoid it because they cannot fit. /End rant.

Plus they couldn't figure out how to keep ice frozen.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 pm

I was at games 1 and 2. Pens fans understand hockey. When the team is playing well and laying some hits, the place really is deafening. When they're getting steamrolled in our own zone, not so much. I guess in other words, the energy is real. The fans feed off actual play and not just random cheers like in Columbus or circa 2007. It's not that pens fans are quiet per se, just maybe not into it when the team is playing like poop.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 13, 2014 12:36 am

I hope we can score more screams than the other team.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:17 am

- Pittsburgh fans respect tough physical play, and solid defense. Maybe its the steelers influence, but a solid PK or some punishing hits really seem to juice the crowd.
- CEC is quieter than the old barn, but it seems that more people should be up on their feet showing support (from those of us too far away to attend).
- If you can't cheer for the Pens, at least boo the Rags. There is no shortage of reasons too... Lundquist to start, I'd be all over that jerk
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue May 13, 2014 8:40 am

If Rags go up early, again, and then the Pens roll over and quit, again, why should anyone celebrate that? The fans will cheer when it's deserved, make them want to cheer. This team and it's laziness, inpetness, inconsistancy or whatever you want to call it does not inspire anyone to be loud at a game.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue May 13, 2014 8:49 am

THe rawdy fans can not afford to go to regular season games much less playoff games. The fans that can afford to go tend to be a little more... relaxed.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 am

On TV, I don't know any difference between Mellon and CEC.
BTW: people said that Mellon wasn't loud (on TV) because of the acoustics....that's the line on CEC now?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Cu11en on Tue May 13, 2014 9:00 am

Just sayin' - When the Jackets scored in Game 6 to make it 4-1, the place rocked like they had just scored to send Game 7 of the Cup Finals to OT.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby rgj on Tue May 13, 2014 9:04 am

LET'S GO PENS!!! DO IT!!!
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rgj on Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 am

I was at Game 2 at Consol.......it was loud enough that my ears rang.....
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GJ on Tue May 13, 2014 9:38 am

Pens should have Lundqvist water bottle night for Game 7.
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Tue May 13, 2014 10:47 am

Cu11en wrote:Just sayin' - When the Jackets scored in Game 6 to make it 4-1, the place rocked like they had just scored to send Game 7 of the Cup Finals to OT.

And when they were losing, the fans were quiet.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Tue May 13, 2014 10:50 am

At recent home games, the Penguins have a habit of letting the other team dominate the first 2 or 3 shifts after the opening faceoff. Can't do that tonight if you want the crowd to carry the team early.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf66 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 am

I have had season tickets since 95. There is no doubt that the igloo was louder, primarily due to design. I will also offer this. During the 08/09 cups runs, sitting next to me were the same fans that had been there all season. We were excited and loud. It was an exciting time, all house money it seemed.

This playoff in particular, there are a lot of people attending that have not been to a game all year. I don't recognize those sitting around me and you can just tell by the ignorant behavior and the ignorance of how to move throug the concourses that it is very much a bandwagon crowd. Even during the regular season, many tickets next to me were sold to others, but the playoffs are an entirely new level.

I am sure pricing has a lot to do with this.

Another thing is the in-game entertainment. I know for a fact that the organization DEPERATELY wants a loud building. The want it to come across that way on TV. The funny thing is that they try too hard and thier in-game entertainment is clumbsy and actually discourages crowd noise. I know that as a fan, it is useless to try to compete with the "Monster Truck Show" type of volume and clutter going on during a game.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 am

It is cliché to say that they "priced out the long time hockey fans" but...they have priced out the long time hockey fans. A lot of them anyways. I see lots of kids (and that is not a good thing). You don't see lots of kids at Steeler games. Lots of kids means the seats are owned by very well compensated professionals because who else could afford to take families to these games? And seriously, as a well compensated professional myself, I am no longer a screaming idiot at these games.

I just think it has become much to much a "SEEN" column or a country club, much like the product on the ice. You hate to say you need some drunken, idiotic, face painting, zubaz wearing Stiller fans but that is exactly what the CEC needs.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cu11en on Tue May 13, 2014 11:21 am

Eismann wrote:
Cu11en wrote:Just sayin' - When the Jackets scored in Game 6 to make it 4-1, the place rocked like they had just scored to send Game 7 of the Cup Finals to OT.

And when they were losing, the fans were quiet.

Correct. But if the Pens get down 4-0 tonight, how do you think the CEC will sound if the Pens score one?
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jwest21 on Tue May 13, 2014 11:27 am

I have been to plenty of loud games at CEC. It doesn't sound loud on TV simply because they manipulate the various sounds so you can hear the announcers. And if anyone wants the "At-The-Arena Experience" to be louder, complain to the team. They are the ones that have the greatest effect on fan volume. Play great=loud crowd. Play like crap= silence and/or groans.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins