Don Cherry hits the nail on the head

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Don Cherry hits the nail on the head

Postby supermario on Mon May 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Crosby gets mugged every single time he is on the ice. The refs won't call anything against him because he beaks at them ( most of the time he has just cause Imo!!) so teams take liberties against him. Basically any slug can neutralize him. Regardless of how the refs feel about him its their job to call the game!! It's a disgrace.It's also disappointing that no one comes to his aid. The tone should have been set early in these series that if you want to go after Crosby you'll pay a price. Hopefully the boys can win game 7 and do it right the rest of the way. They will get no help from these garage league refs.
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Don Cherry hits the nail on the head

Postby seabiscuit on Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 pm

supermario wrote:Crosby gets mugged every single time he is on the ice. The refs won't call anything against him because he beaks at them ( most of the time he has just cause Imo!!) so teams take liberties against him. Basically any slug can neutralize him. Regardless of how the refs feel about him its their job to call the game!! It's a disgrace.It's also disappointing that no one comes to his aid. The tone should have been set early in these series that if you want to go after Crosby you'll pay a price. Hopefully the boys can win game 7 and do it right the rest of the way. They will get no help from these garage league refs.

And Crosby has to "beak" at them because Bylsma won't. Other coaches get calls by communicating with the refs. Crosby is on his own
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 pm

I agree. Kunitz is the only guy who remotely does this. As far as Cherry is concerned, he's Sid's fanboy now because of the two gold medals.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
supermario wrote:Crosby gets mugged every single time he is on the ice. The refs won't call anything against him because he beaks at them ( most of the time he has just cause Imo!!) so teams take liberties against him. Basically any slug can neutralize him. Regardless of how the refs feel about him its their job to call the game!! It's a disgrace.It's also disappointing that no one comes to his aid. The tone should have been set early in these series that if you want to go after Crosby you'll pay a price. Hopefully the boys can win game 7 and do it right the rest of the way. They will get no help from these garage league refs.

And Crosby has to "beak" at them because Bylsma won't. Other coaches get calls by communicating with the refs. Crosby is on his own

Yet another reason to fire him, huh?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon May 12, 2014 9:35 pm

As if we need more?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IMFC on Mon May 12, 2014 9:36 pm

I literally could not believe Cherry was saying that. And the real nail is that the league is too stupid to enforce the existing rules that would allow their truly talented players to be entertaining. And that this b.s. wasn't always the mentality - the league would have never tolerated the grate one being treated like this. As much as I can't stand the king-of-all-palming-the-ball jordan, it's similar to what he went through with the Pistons. I don't think Crosby can just weight-lift his way out of it like jordy did - Sid just doesn't have the body style that adapts that well to HGH and 'roids.

And we really don't have the psychos necessary to retaliate. It's prolly a mistake by Shero to keep bringing in emotionally reasonable players. Neal is the only unstable nutjob we have and unlike everyone on the rags and phlyers, the refs hate neal. Zuccarello could stab someone with his skate and odds are only about 1-in-3 that any kind of penalty gets called. Neal face rubs someone and all 4 refs have their hands in the air and 6 minutes later the league is already having a suspension hearing.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Oh my god i never really realized this, you are so right. Just thinking of Claude Jullian or Therian barking at the refs, this does weight on them at times. And it is totally unjust how Sid has been treated by the refs. Bylsma stands there and does nothing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby supermario on Mon May 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Cherry showed clip after clip of rangers and jackets spearing, punching, slew footing, crosschecking, any running Sid when he doesn't even have the puck. Time after time, no penalty. Its brutal. It's pretty obvious why he is in a slump at this point.
supermario
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Scott on Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Two things....Crosby gives his share in a different way. I like 87 as any pen fan does but this self entitled attitude he has is getting really old. Moreover when things don't go his way...the defense shuts him down..he gets testy, chippy if you will. In turn he is not back checking, he becomes counterproductive...when he does that. Not helping the cause. The pens..especially Crosby has taken on the identity of the coach. If it goes right, everyone is happy and skating fast, etc. When it goes wrong (game 5&6) then we have to sulk. Not after mind you but during the game.

In playoffs the game is called differently. Not saying it's right but just saying it's different. But it's like that across the board.

So my thoughts...quit bawling, players, coaches, fans etc and rise to the occasion. Earn it. Period.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm

no name wrote:

Oh my god i never really realized this, you are so right. Just thinking of Claude Jullian or Therian barking at the refs, this does weight on them at times. And it is totally unjust how Sid has been treated by the refs. Bylsma stands there and does nothing.

It definitely can get you calls. A good coach runs the refs as well as he runs lines.

In fairness, Sid gets away with a lot of little stuff because of his ability to run refs. He probably does as good a job as anyone as far as getting calls his way.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 12, 2014 10:03 pm

It's not the refs fault. The game takes care of itself. Crosby gets a lot of calls, he also gets the business like a lot of stars current and past. As long as it's reasonable, that's not a problem to me.

I'm not saying he does or doesn't whine or dive or take cheap shots of his own...but speaking from a little reffing experience myself, if you plant corn, you grow corn. Refs don't like to be shown up, just like players, just like coaches, just like any of us...

The players know the deal, they've signed up for this, they've played all their lives...there are no mysteries here...

And then too, if we start retaliating and answering that bell and defending our guys...we complain that we're undisciplined animals and lose our heads, like the 2012 and 2013 ECQF...

The fact is, the refs have been a non-factor in the series...we gotta play a good game and we can move on, and there's not much more to say...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm

When the refs do call something, I don't think they're responsible for Crosby flinging blind backhands all over the ice to mangle the ensuing PP.

It sucks, but it isn't the reason Sid is struggling.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 pm

NHL is the only league where star players don't get protected or even get the benefit of the doubt.

Imagine an NBA where Lebron never went to the foul line or star players weren't given the bed edit of the doubt when driving the lane. Imagine the NFL not protecting Manning, Brady, etc...

The Pens aren't 3-3 due to the refs, this is just a general comment in the league. We have been blessed with more superstar players than other franchises. If anyone can speak on this subject it's Pen fans. We have the guys getting targeted and attacked, always on the receiving end.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:When the refs do call something, I don't think they're responsible for Crosby flinging blind backhands all over the ice to mangle the ensuing PP.

It sucks, but it isn't the reason Sid is struggling.

God forbid we have a thread actually sympathetic to that slacker choker cheapshotter crybaby Sidney Crosby on LGP. WTF has that bum done for the Pens?

He's skating slow because his feelings are hurt, right?
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 pm

The U wrote:NHL is the only league where star players don't get protected or even get the benefit of the doubt.

Imagine an NBA where Lebron never went to the foul line or star players weren't given the bed edit of the doubt when driving the lane. Imagine the NFL not protecting Manning, Brady, etc...

The Pens aren't 3-3 due to the refs, this is just a general comment in the league. We have been blessed with more superstar players than other franchises. If anyone can speak on this subject it's Pen fans. We have the guys getting targeted and attacked, always on the receiving end.

WOW. Hello orange, I'm apple. Not even in the same ball park here with your comparison. Crosby does get his share of calls. He earns a lot of them because of his hustle. Having said that I want you to take notice to something. Notice when the Pens are not doing so good, the animated crosby shows up. Instead of saying to the team (with his play) get on my back boys we got this...no. He begs, pleads, moans, etc to the refs at any little thing that distorts his free skate out there. I think he is a great player and I would never suggest trading him but Crosby is at his best when he leaves the childishness in the locker room or anywhere other than the damn ice.

QB's in the NFL are protected. Brady, Manning no matter. A sitting QB is a sitting duck. They call that all the time now because of the head injury factor. (safety)

NBA ...star players might get favored treatment but so what. They go to the line and shoot two. Foul is over.

NHL will never make a team be shorthanded in excess. It's the way it always has been. I don't agree with it but until that mindset changes the trend will continue. Just ask the 90's Caps and Devils. They could have been called for holding on every shift. Ask the Wings whom beat us in 2008. Look at the current Bruins. Not only do they clog things up but they grab and rub you off just enough to disrupt the play. They don't hold enough to haul the player down but just enough to disrupt the flow of the attack. Timing is gone.

Again I say instead of making excuses work harder. Rise to the challenge and prevail. But does Crosby....do the Pens want it bad enough?
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Tue May 13, 2014 12:18 am

so many dumb comments by people who haven't even watched the cherry video from tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmzKvzbicxs&app=desktop

Cherry says he's never seen any superstar as abused as Crosby.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby smoothmoneyb on Tue May 13, 2014 2:20 am

I had to double check and make sure that this post was not from 2007. So yeah, nothing new to see here. This does not, however, absolve Crosby of all of the bad decisions and lack of performance issues we have seen over the course of these playoffs..
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 am

Demanding preferential treatment for one of your players...this thread is gross
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Brugrabud on Tue May 13, 2014 7:50 am

Here's a snippet from Kerry Fraser about Wayne Gretzky that I feel is relevant due to the fact that he clearly states he puts his whistle away even when there are legitimate calls to make simply because of the player who is fouled and his perception of them. This is what is happening to Crosby. The league has a serious problem that it accepts this kind of mentality and seriously allows the refs, not the players, to decide the outcome of many games based on their personal agendas and perceptions of players.

“The first shift, the first time he got touched, he went for a leap and was turning his head looking to see if I had my arm raised before he hit the ice. We had no diving penalty back then, so my personality, my character flaw, took over and I thought, ‘I’ll show you.’ I didn’t call anything.”

True to those thoughts, Fraser kept his whistle in his pocket when it came to infractions perpetrated on Gretzky throughout the game. Remember, this is in the era of the one referee system, when the zebras had their names on their backs just like the players, and the fans knew who they were.

“There were, I’m sure, legitimate times where I could’ve called a penalty and I went the other way. And the more that happened, the more the crowd booed and yelled at me, and the more it caused me to dig my heels in even deeper.”

Near the end of the game, the stubbornness continued between Fraser and Gretzky, leading to several colorful metaphors. Even Bobby Clarke chimed in with one of his own.

“There was one minute left in the game and the Flyers were winning by one goal. The Oilers had a phenomenal power play – ‘Gretz’ was a second-year player, and they had (Mark) Messier, Paul Coffey, Kevin Lowe, Jari Kurri, (Glenn) Anderson, you name it.

“When the Philadelphia goalie caught the puck, I blew the whistle. Gretzky was behind the goal-line in his office, nobody around him. As I blew the whistle he jumped in the air, threw his hands out forward, his feet out backward and did a belly flop on the ice, nobody around him.

“Clarke skated over to him – no teeth – and said, ‘Get up, Gretzky, you f—in’ baby!’

“I skated over to him and said, ‘Wayne, what are you doing? There was nobody within 15 feet of you.’

“He said, ‘Yeah, you wouldn’t have called it anyway. You haven’t called a f—in’ thing all night!’

“I said, ‘You’re right. I’m going to start right now. You’ve got two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.

“He said, ‘Thanks, it’s about effing time you called something!’ And he stormed off the ice.”

Years later, Fraser and Gretzky can laugh about their confrontation, now that they’re both retired from the game.

“Wayne and I have even talked about this. He wrote the foreword to my book (The Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes). One of the things he said is that, ‘Referees have a tough job, and there were times when I didn’t agree with Kerry. He wasn’t always right, but I know I wasn’t either.’”

The moral of the story? The referee is always right, even when he’s wrong.
Brugrabud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 am

Fraser thinking he was the star of the show was the worst kept secret in hockey. As poor as officiating is now, at least you don't see the Frasers and Paul Stewarts if the world (who think they matter) doing games.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 am

The Refs are not calling much, so having someone tough to play with Sid means your saddling him with a weaker player. (There are only so many good and tough power forwards). Even then, these incidents will still occur, and a retaliation by anyone will put the Pens shorthanded. The Pens simply have to play the game the way its called.

Give it back later in the game, know where the new line is and play right up to it. Don't retaliate, because it gets called every time.

I would agree that HCDB should chirp more to the refs about it.

Truth is, Toews is getting the same treatment, all the stars are. Its the **** state of the NHL playoffs today, and winning it really means that you survived a freaking war.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 am

shmenguin wrote:Fraser thinking he was the star of the show was the worst kept secret in hockey. As poor as officiating is now, at least you don't see the Frasers and Paul Stewarts if the world (who think they matter) doing games.

Ed Hochuli wrote:

:thumb:

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:21 am

From TSN:

According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune, Mario Lemieux, former captain and part owner of the Penguins, sat down with Crosby in the locker room following Game 5 to discuss his performance.

"You can't behave the way you did at the end of the game," Lemieux said, according to Rossi. "It gives off a bad vibe to your teammates; it gives off a vibe that might be portraying you in a negative light, especially when you're struggling."

Finally Lemieux told him, "Star players just have to fight through things like this.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:37 am

iWonTheCup87 wrote:From TSN:

According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune, Mario Lemieux, former captain and part owner of the Penguins, sat down with Crosby in the locker room following Game 5 to discuss his performance.

"You can't behave the way you did at the end of the game," Lemieux said, according to Rossi. "It gives off a bad vibe to your teammates; it gives off a vibe that might be portraying you in a negative light, especially when you're struggling."

Finally Lemieux told him, "Star players just have to fight through things like this.

If Yohe was the last person to leave the room, leaving these two in there, where did this little beauty come from? From only Mario or Sid I guess. Did Sid state this somewhere?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 am

I sometimes wish everyone on that team would just shut-up and stop spitting out cliches and excuses. Just go out and play your game.

I could careless if Mario talked to Sid. Just go out there and score more than you give up!!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins