Don Cherry hits the nail on the head

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Don Cherry hits the nail on the head

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:48 am

If Yohe was the last person to leave the room, leaving these two in there, where did this little beauty come from? From only Mario or Sid I guess. Did Sid state this somewhere?

No idea it was in an article on TSN so take it with a grain of salt since Rossi was quoted.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue May 13, 2014 8:51 am

Mario needs to tell someone to blast the refs/league in the media like he used to... and then he (Mario) will cover any fines handed out by the league.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 am

mario was probably a bigger baby than sid. i can't imagine him saying such things.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby owtahear on Tue May 13, 2014 9:10 am

seabiscuit wrote:
supermario wrote:Crosby gets mugged every single time he is on the ice. The refs won't call anything against him because he beaks at them ( most of the time he has just cause Imo!!) so teams take liberties against him. Basically any slug can neutralize him. Regardless of how the refs feel about him its their job to call the game!! It's a disgrace.It's also disappointing that no one comes to his aid. The tone should have been set early in these series that if you want to go after Crosby you'll pay a price. Hopefully the boys can win game 7 and do it right the rest of the way. They will get no help from these garage league refs.

And Crosby has to "beak" at them because Bylsma won't. Other coaches get calls by communicating with the refs. Crosby is on his own

Bingo. BINGO! There are a lot of criticisms of Dan, but one that drives me crazy is he doesn't play the public playoff whining game. If I was Bylsma, I would have come to a press conference with photos of Staal's muggings of Crosby. Each cross check to the head, reminding people this is Crosby, he is Marc Staal, both have lost significant time to concussions, and yet the refs stand there with a whistle up their butt. Vignault and Lundquist have repeatedly whined about "traffic" in front of the net.

Bylsma sometimes seems like he is more interested in being cool. And I think Sid would appreciate his coach having his back a bit more. Just blows my mind how passive this franchise is.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 am

It's because the NHL only cares AFTER injury. ...and even then they don't care. Action is only taken for PR. I don't know who said it earlier in what post or thread, but you will never see Tom Brady or Lebron James taking what Crosby has received and continues to receive. Hockey is one thing, targeting a player's head is another.

Guess you can get away with it when your sport is lower than NASCAR.

Sad but true.
Last edited by SoupOrSam on Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby PAPLine on Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am

I have been a hockey fan since around 1964. First with the Hornets and now with the Pens.
When those clowns on NBC start talking about "old time hockey" in relation to the way penalties are or are not called, they are not talking about the hockey I grew to love. They are talking about the mid-70's Broad Street Bullies. They changed the rules in the late 80's and again in the 90's to get away from that crap, thanks in part to OML's rants about garage leagues. Now these guys are glorifying it.
When I started watching hockey, players did not wear helmets, and you would never have seen a player cross check another player in the back of the head. Never. It just wasn't done. If player A took a cheap shot at player B, then when player A got out of the penalty box, he would be dealt with by player B's teammates.
It has been a long time, and my memory may not be perfect over that time, but I don't remember referees not calling penalties in the playoffs. I remember players not taking penalties because of the effect on the game. I think it was in the late 70's that the refs decided that they didn't want to decide the game by making a call, they would rather decide the game by not making a call.
Which bring us to CSC. If you go back to "old time hockey" CSC wouldn't need to 'beak' at the refs, because the refs would be doing their job. When M Staal got out of the penalty box, for crosschecking CSC in the back of the head, 18 or 14 or 41 would have clocked him, and he probably would not have done it again. HCDB and the rest of the team each need to grow a pair.
This team needs to play like a hockey team, and not like a team of prima donnas.
This could be HCDB's last game a the Pens coach.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am

I was wondering how this would get tied back to Bylsma. Well done.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Tue May 13, 2014 10:11 am

Mario speaks from experience. I was at game 5 in Washington in the 4 ot game when he got thrown out for spearing a defender. Could have killed that series.
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby owtahear on Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 am

PAPLine wrote:I have been a hockey fan since around 1964. First with the Hornets and now with the Pens.
When those clowns on NBC start talking about "old time hockey" in relation to the way penalties are or are not called, they are not talking about the hockey I grew to love. They are talking about the mid-70's Broad Street Bullies. They changed the rules in the late 80's and again in the 90's to get away from that crap, thanks in part to OML's rants about garage leagues. Now these guys are glorifying it.
When I started watching hockey, players did not wear helmets, and you would never have seen a player cross check another player in the back of the head. Never. It just wasn't done. If player A took a cheap shot at player B, then when player A got out of the penalty box, he would be dealt with by player B's teammates.
It has been a long time, and my memory may not be perfect over that time, but I don't remember referees not calling penalties in the playoffs. I remember players not taking penalties because of the effect on the game. I think it was in the late 70's that the refs decided that they didn't want to decide the game by making a call, they would rather decide the game by not making a call.
Which bring us to CSC. If you go back to "old time hockey" CSC wouldn't need to 'beak' at the refs, because the refs would be doing their job. When M Staal got out of the penalty box, for crosschecking CSC in the back of the head, 18 or 14 or 41 would have clocked him, and he probably would not have done it again. HCDB and the rest of the team each need to grow a pair.
This team needs to play like a hockey team, and not like a team of prima donnas.
This could be HCDB's last game a the Pens coach.

I agree......but while Bylsma has this passive aggressive approach, GMRS has not assembled a bottom 6 where or a third D pair where you have someone go after Staal.

When the Pens were down 4-1, 5-1 in that pathetic, putrid Game 5, then was the time to send Bortuzzo or an Adams, (we have such few tough guys) out there to get Staal. We didn't. Disco doesn't seem to believe in that kind of stuff. And GMRS has not assembled players who can and should be responding to that kind of stuff. Hence, our stars get beat on, they have to react themselves and the top wingers get drawn into it.

Now? Doesn't matter. Game 7. Comes down to essentially MAF vs King Henrik.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue May 13, 2014 11:04 am

PAPLine wrote:When M Staal got out of the penalty box, for crosschecking CSC in the back of the head, 18 or 14 or 41 would have clocked him, and he probably would not have done it again. HCDB and the rest of the team each need to grow a pair.

Excellent post and this part I agree with the most. In Coach Danny's ideal pretty boy system, everyone on the ice has to be a prima donna by default. If Sid were on the B's, Claude would first tell him to shut his yap, then he would have Marchand or Thornton take a run on the offender.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 13, 2014 11:19 am

Letting players like Cooke and Morrow walk were HUGE mistakes that I said early on would come to bite them in the end. I'm not saying that if we had one or both of these guys we'd have swept CBJ or the NYR, but those guys are difference makers. Those are the guys who will punish the other team for what they do to Sid and Gino.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Tue May 13, 2014 11:35 am

Penspal wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:From TSN:

According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune, Mario Lemieux, former captain and part owner of the Penguins, sat down with Crosby in the locker room following Game 5 to discuss his performance.

"You can't behave the way you did at the end of the game," Lemieux said, according to Rossi. "It gives off a bad vibe to your teammates; it gives off a vibe that might be portraying you in a negative light, especially when you're struggling."

Finally Lemieux told him, "Star players just have to fight through things like this.

If Yohe was the last person to leave the room, leaving these two in there, where did this little beauty come from? From only Mario or Sid I guess. Did Sid state this somewhere?

Why do we ever discuss made-up Rossi rumors?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 am

IanMoran wrote:
Penspal wrote:

According to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune, Mario Lemieux, former captain and part owner of the Penguins, sat down with Crosby in the locker room following Game 5 to discuss his performance.

"You can't behave the way you did at the end of the game," Lemieux said, according to Rossi. "It gives off a bad vibe to your teammates; it gives off a vibe that might be portraying you in a negative light, especially when you're struggling."

Finally Lemieux told him, "Star players just have to fight through things like this.

Why do we ever discuss made-up Rossi rumors?

Is there some "touch the glasses" smiley or something that can be put up with discussing Rossi...? Is there some reason that he does that silly looking move?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 am

As a ref I hate it when I see calls not being made or inconsistency. I get that the game happens very fast and you can't see everything and with the help of slow motion and replay we fans can see every cheap shot, blind hit, and cross check. I give the refs some credit its a very difficult job.

I remember in the 09 series babcock complaining to get calls. Also Torts used to yap all the time about sid and geno getting star treatment. I don't really want to see my coach use those tactics, but like some have said before someone somewhere has to stand up either coach or player.

By the way I saw the NHL fined King Lundquist 5k! How much did Thorton get?
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Tue May 13, 2014 11:46 am

Jim wrote:
Is there some "touch the glasses" smiley or something that can be put up with discussing Rossi...? Is there some reason that he does that silly looking move?

Haha, just watched the media session with Sid / Geno. Yohe tried to fish for something with Sid talking to Mario (I saw you talking to Marion, are you able to go to him for advice in situations like this?, Sid saying "Ummm I guess he could give me that type of advice with his experience, if you're talking about our last specific conversation, really wasn't anything involving that or anything different than any time I've talked to him" (Paraphrased by me)

Why not print that?

Jesus, Sid lived with him for 5 years or whatever, Yohe saw them talking and they're trying to make it so dramatic... Idk, this type of "journalism" really gets to me.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Tue May 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Penspal wrote:

I don’t believe for a second that Rossi--or anyone else--was privy to what was said in that meeting. I can’t think of two people more private than Mario and Sid, and the very thought that either of them would disclose what was said in a private conversation between the two of them strains credulity. If what Rossi supposedly said is true, then the only way he could have come by that information is if the room was bugged or some scribe was lurking undetected in the shadows and taking notes--both highly unlikely in my opinion.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Even if the quote is fiction, the sentiment is true.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 13, 2014 12:47 pm

shmenguin wrote:Fraser thinking he was the star of the show was the worst kept secret in hockey. As poor as officiating is now, at least you don't see the Frasers and Paul Stewarts if the world (who think they matter) doing games.

Honestly, that could be one avenue to "solve" officiating - which is apparently a huge problem to some - get the big personality guys going again...then you know what's going to happen because know what the deal is...have a ref that's actually in charge instead of two refs (though, I suppose you could keep two, the game is a little too fast just to have one anymore) that are trying not to get in the way. Having a Kerry Fraser, larger than life (relatively speaking), personalty in the game might bring more consistency to the table...

As a coach or a player, you know refs, you know what kind of refs you're dealing with, you know how to play them over time...because the league's that I coach in (not exactly the NHL) don't get these big personalities and I can get in there and manipulate a little...

Frankly, I think most people that just cry and cry about officiating are just grinding an ax at this point or have a limited understanding of officiating...it's not perfect, never will be, and I have no problem with that. A ref has never scored a goal or made a save, when that starts happening, I'll be concerned. Until then, there's a whole game to be played...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Tue May 13, 2014 12:47 pm

columbia wrote:Even if the quote is fiction, the sentiment is true.

I agree with you. As a fallible human being I can understand why Sid lost his cool, but I also know that his behaviour was unbecoming and not helpful to his team. I certainly don’t want to see it repeated tonight.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Am I missing something? If TSN is reporting that as coming from Rob Rossi, who enjoys a good status with the Pens, I have a hard time believing he would make up quotes by the owner of the team.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Tue May 13, 2014 12:55 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Am I missing something? If TSN is reporting that as coming from Rob Rossi, who enjoys a good status with the Pens, I have a hard time believing he would make up quotes by the
owner of the team.

BECAUSE ROSSI IS A STOOPID IDIOT WHO DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABIUT HOCKEY AND WEARS HIPSTER DOOFUS CLOTHES AND SMELLS AND HAS A DUM MUSTASH!!

duh
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 13, 2014 1:11 pm

mikey287 wrote:Frankly, I think most people that just cry and cry about officiating are just grinding an ax at this point or have a limited understanding of officiating...it's not perfect, never will be, and I have no problem with that.

me neither. officiating is bad, but that's its nature. that's why i don't think it needs polluted by putting ego freaks back in the mix. let's keep it the minimum amount of bad.

when staal cross checks crosby in the head and nothing is called, it's because there are a hundred other things going on, and it's impossible for 2 refs to catch every single thing that happens. missing a bunch of calls doesn't mean the ref failed. it's sometimes just the luck of the draw on what's seen and what isn't.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue May 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Am I missing something? If TSN is reporting that as coming from Rob Rossi, who enjoys a good status with the Pens, I have a hard time believing he would make up quotes by the owner of the team
Yea, just like he wouldn't make up they're moving to KC

Just like he wouldn't make up the Geno trade

Just like he wouldn't make up the Jagr stuff

Just like he wouldn't report the "players only meeting about players wanting Sid's C taken away", then later recants and goes "Oooo silly Pittsburgh, it wasn't a FORMAL meeting, just saying a player said it"

Just like he wouldn't make up every.. single... rumor, he's ever come up with that NEVER comes true. When's the last time he actually had the "inside scope", on anything that has ever actually happened?

Yohe / him have been trying to make this a story since Yohe apparently walked by and saw Sid / Mario talking

I forget exactly, but last trade deadline, I pieced together different pieces and iirc, at separate times in last like 24 hours he claimed the pens were primary interested in: a top 6 winger, a backup vet goalie, a tough defenseman, a thirdline center, a bottom 6 winger" Props for knowing the Pens weren't primarily interested in a a top 2 C.

How do you know his status with the team? The guy is a complete joke, I've never seen such a rumor maker at that high of a position
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Tue May 13, 2014 1:32 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Am I missing something? If TSN is reporting that as coming from Rob Rossi, who enjoys a good status with the Pens, I have a hard time believing he would make up quotes by the owner of the team
Yea, just like he wouldn't make up they're moving to KC

Just like he wouldn't make up the Geno trade

Just like he wouldn't make up the Jagr stuff

Just like he wouldn't report the "players only meeting about players wanting Sid's C taken away", then later recants and goes "Oooo silly Pittsburgh, it wasn't a FORMAL meeting, just saying a player said it"

Just like he wouldn't make up every.. single... rumor, he's ever come up with that NEVER comes true. When's the last time he actually had the "inside scope", on anything that has ever actually happened?

Yohe / him have been trying to make this a story since Yohe apparently walked by and saw Sid / Mario talking

I forget exactly, but last trade deadline, I pieced together different pieces and iirc, at separate times in last like 24 hours he claimed the pens were primary interested in: a top 6 winger, a backup vet goalie, a tough defenseman, a thirdline center, a bottom 6 winger" Props for knowing the Pens weren't primarily interested in a a top 2 C.

How do you know his status with the team? The guy is a complete joke, I've never seen such a rumor maker at that high of a position

TSN deleted that article lol... Rossi probably did get himself into too much with direct lie on Mario quote. Just another feather in his cap I suppose
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Tue May 13, 2014 1:34 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Am I missing something? If TSN is reporting that as coming from Rob Rossi, who enjoys a good status with the Pens, I have a hard time believing he would make up quotes by the owner of the team.

I appreciate what you’re saying. At the same time, I simply can not believe that Mario or Sid would provide that information to Rossi, especially knowing that it would immediately go public. For all I know, Rossi may have been misquoted. Perhaps he was simply speculating about what he thought was probably discussed at the meeting; it certainly isn’t a stretch to think that this was discussed, notwithstanding Sid’s comments during yesterday's presser. If it is true and the quotes were accurate, then I question Rossi's judgment in reporting something as sensitive as this in the absence of having received the information directly from either Mario or Sid, something I simply do not believe would have happened.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins