Dejan's article of negativity

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 am

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6098449-74/won-penguins-game#axzz31VNOrF74

Dejan has likely trolled this very board to come up with some of these beauties, and riffles them off like they are all irrefutable facts. Pretty much every one has been discussed on here with valid points from both sides, but he tosses them all together in a diatribe of hate. In my opinion, he's gone too far, and he should suffer the consequences should the Pens win. Really, an article like that BEFORE a game 7 that could be decided by countless OTHER things is wretched.

That's part of the problem with Sports media today. Its taken a page out of normal media, and creates the negative narrative because it get$ attention. Sure, the occasional feel good story comes along (St. Louis playing for his Mom), but most are about what's wrong, scandalous or the mistakes that the Coach or GM made. Fans hear this enough and focus on the negative, rather than stay open minded. Of course, there are the fanboi's which just make the haters hate more, but where is the middle ground, the rational, the thinkers. Dejan, you used to be one.

Having said that, I've like his stuff over the years. I've not always agreed with it, but this one has probably thrown me over the edge as him being biased against reason when it comes to the Pens organization.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby stopper40 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:35 am

I can remember when people on this board wanted the PG to fire Molinari and make DK the head hockey reporter. MY how time have changed
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,661
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby DelPen on Tue May 13, 2014 8:35 am

He's 100% right though. There's no hate there, stop being childish. It's ridiculous this series is going 7 games when you look at the machine that shut the Rangers down in games 2 and 3 and have showed up for spurts pretty much since 2009.

There is zero consistancy and accountability in this team and squeeking by tonight assures this will continue because the organization won't make any changes after going to the conf finals again.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,658
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Humperdink on Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 am

He is venting like the rest of us have done at times. Unfortunately, he just wrapped them up in one big package and gets a wider audience.

You're are correct, his timing was poor.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 am

i think game 2 & 3 had more to do with the Rangers being tired than anything the Pens did differently.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,464
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Inside a Filet-o-Fish sandwich

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:40 am

DelPen wrote:He's 100% right though. There's no hate there, stop being childish. It's ridiculous this series is going 7 games when you look at the machine that shut the Rangers down in games 2 and 3 and have showed up for spurts pretty much since 2009.

There is zero consistancy and accountability in this team and squeeking by tonight assures this will continue because the organization won't make any changes after going to the conf finals again.


There ARE two teams on the ice. He is being solely Pens focused, like they can turn the switch off and on and win, regardless of who they play against, or all the OTHER circumstances that factor into a game.

The Pens could come out and play unbelievable in game 7, and lose on a couple of bad reffing calls.

The shutout Rangers did not have a real reason to play for, like they have the last two games, the loss of St. Louis Mother. Man, if that doesn't move you, go talk to some veterans about wars, and the affect of losing a trench mate had. Guys dig deep, and they find the will. Its about the Rangers as much as it is about the Pens. Not childish at all. A differing point of view to negative, it exists.
Last edited by Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby columbia on Tue May 13, 2014 8:41 am

There's not much to disagree with there.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,706
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:42 am

It's the finest of lines.

If they win the Cup, all of the things he mentions in his article would have been worth it.

If they lose tonight, those things will be magnified times 1000.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,819
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 am

His points are valid. I believe he'd reach same conclusions even if he'd explored both sides of each argument. Is it written in a sensationalist manner on the eve of a game 7 to tap into the unease permeating the fan base? Yes, but that is journalism.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 8:53 am

Its ****...

Nisky could still sign here, who knows how this team could be blown up should they lose. Far from a fact until the dust settles, win or lose.

Harry Z is the most promising young forward. - WTF did that come from? Payerl, Megna, Zlobin.... really? Weak....

Natural entitlement - and using Bennett's two penalties, one which was an accident? Weak.

There is a lot to dig into on these topics, and its been done here on this very board.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby newarenanow on Tue May 13, 2014 9:03 am

I'm scared.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,330
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Factorial on Tue May 13, 2014 9:08 am

columbia wrote:There's not much to disagree with there.


Et tu, bro?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,258
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue May 13, 2014 9:08 am

So what did he say that was so wrong? Maybe he should have waited until tomorrow after they lose, but what he said is entirely correct. This organization, starting with Mario, just keeps whitewashing all its flaws without ever trying to correct them. In fact, they tend to double down just to prove themselves right.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,766
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby sil on Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am

There isn't a ton I disagree with, but this statement:

"It won't change that Wilkes-Barre's most promising forward is journeyman Harry Zolnierczyk. He'll turn 27 before the next training camp."

That is so far from reality that it borders on insanity (or just gross ignorance) on Dejan's part.

The rest has some to lots of merit, unfortunately.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,873
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby DelPen on Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am

sil wrote:There isn't a ton I disagree with, but this statement:

"It won't change that Wilkes-Barre's most promising forward is journeyman Harry Zolnierczyk. He'll turn 27 before the next training camp."

That is so far from reality that it borders on insanity (or just gross ignorance) on Dejan's part.

The rest has some to lots of merit, unfortunately.


The only argument you can try is to say the best forward on WBS right now is either Harry Z, Kobasew or Kostopolous.

This was a knock at the complete lack of drafted forward prospects playing right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,658
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 am

columbia wrote:There's not much to disagree with there.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,806
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 13, 2014 9:35 am

DelPen wrote:
sil wrote:There isn't a ton I disagree with, but this statement:

"It won't change that Wilkes-Barre's most promising forward is journeyman Harry Zolnierczyk. He'll turn 27 before the next training camp."

That is so far from reality that it borders on insanity (or just gross ignorance) on Dejan's part.

The rest has some to lots of merit, unfortunately.


The only argument you can try is to say the best forward on WBS right now is either Harry Z, Kobasew or Kostopolous.

This was a knock at the complete lack of drafted forward prospects playing right now.


DK's statement is bogus but the sentiment is right - the forward prospect cupboard is bare. He's just heightening the frothy mouthed state of the pitchfork wielding mob (sorry I need to go get a tissue)
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 13, 2014 9:36 am

Dejan is right on.

Some people have come down on me for getting a bit negative during the GDTs and I don't blame them, but it's just knowing the truth about this team. In game five when the Rangers scored their second goal putting them up 2-0, I posted "game over" and got flak for that.

I knew the game was over because I know THIS team. I know their trends, faults and strengths. I'm not trying to act like I have some special insight, I don't, I just watch this team and I'm sure many of us knew that game was lost at that point and it's because THE SAME ISSUES HAUNT THEM.

He couldn't have been more correct in this article about their flaws being looked over because of some success. That's what's been happening since the season after losing to Tampa. I don't fault the Tampa series because I actually think that was some of the best hockey I saw the Penguins play. They played their *** off not having Sid and Gino in the line-up.

This team has had the SAME problems since Therrien.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,806
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 13, 2014 9:46 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:Dejan is right on.

Some people have come down on me for getting a bit negative during the GDTs and I don't blame them, but it's just knowing the truth about this team. In game five when the Rangers scored their second goal putting them up 2-0, I posted "game over" and got flak for that.

I knew the game was over because I know THIS team. I know their trends, faults and strengths. I'm not trying to act like I have some special insight, I don't, I just watch this team and I'm sure many of us knew that game was lost at that point and it's because THE SAME ISSUES HAUNT THEM.

He couldn't have been more correct in this article about their flaws being looked over because of some success. That's what's been happening since the season after losing to Tampa. I don't fault the Tampa series because I actually think that was some of the best hockey I saw the Penguins play. They played their *** off not having Sid and Gino in the line-up.

This team has had the SAME problems since Therrien.


The problems are widespread, I just wish a coaching change had happened sooner. Now some bad traits seem to be engrained in players and it may be too late for a new hc to turn the ship around
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby CBear3 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 am

I thought today and yesterday's pieces were hack jobs. Since I don't have a subscription, the most I can do is unfollow the bum on twitter. Whooo! :rolleyes:

Can you imagine if the Steelers were two opponents away from a Super Bowl title that ANYBODY would write that the organization is as sound as the Titanic and that they'd better all head for the life rafts?
After yesterday's essay on blowing the whole thing up when they lose Game 7, he's now followed it up with the hard to miss prospect of, well even if they win they need to blow it up.

Sorry, but all that talk while the team is still alive just blows (pun intended).
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,532
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Kansas City

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby DelPen on Tue May 13, 2014 9:51 am

CBear3 wrote:I thought today and yesterday's pieces were hack jobs. Since I don't have a subscription, the most I can do is unfollow the bum on twitter. Whooo! :rolleyes:

Can you imagine if the Steelers were two opponents away from a Super Bowl title that ANYBODY would write that the organization is as sound as the Titanic and that they'd better all head for the life rafts?
After yesterday's essay on blowing the whole thing up when they lose Game 7, he's now followed it up with the hard to miss prospect of, well even if they win they need to blow it up.

Sorry, but all that talk while the team is still alive just blows (pun intended).


Maybe they should, Steelers have many of the same issues as the Pens from a coach in over his head, holding on to players too ling and bad drafting.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,658
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Kovy27 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 am

DK is negative and sucks...

No crap!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,589
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:01 am

Some of what he says is right but he definitely exaggerated and clumped any negative thing together that anyone has ever said. Some are legit points but it makes him sound immature just listing them all.

I think the whole concept of its good to lose game 7 instead of winning is bs for the most part. But you could also say deep down he has a point that IF change was going to happen, this would most likely cause it. It seems unlikely a loss in the ECF would cause a change unless they get swept again. Then again just basically saying its good to lose is just stupid. Even though they have been wildly inconsistent and some things dont seem to change, there is STILL time to change that if they win and play better in round 3. Even that doesnt excuse them from their uninspired/lazy play the last 2 games though.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Defence21 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:02 am

Penspal wrote:
DelPen wrote:He's 100% right though. There's no hate there, stop being childish. It's ridiculous this series is going 7 games when you look at the machine that shut the Rangers down in games 2 and 3 and have showed up for spurts pretty much since 2009.

There is zero consistancy and accountability in this team and squeeking by tonight assures this will continue because the organization won't make any changes after going to the conf finals again.


There ARE two teams on the ice. He is being solely Pens focused, like they can turn the switch off and on and win, regardless of who they play against, or all the OTHER circumstances that factor into a game.

The Pens could come out and play unbelievable in game 7, and lose on a couple of bad reffing calls.

The shutout Rangers did not have a real reason to play for, like they have the last two games, the loss of St. Louis Mother. Man, if that doesn't move you, go talk to some veterans about wars, and the affect of losing a trench mate had. Guys dig deep, and they find the will. Its about the Rangers as much as it is about the Pens. Not childish at all. A differing point of view to negative, it exists.

You're right. There are two teams on the ice. And if both come to play and put on a show, you won't get a complaint from most fans, win or lose. That being said, the Penguins are a tale of two teams. One plays like an elite machine capable of taking out any opponent in a 7 game series. The other looks more prepared for a round of golf than a game of hockey. And therein lies the instigator for most fans. The Penguins have the talent and skill. They have the ability. But they don't have the drive, the desperation, or the urgency -- and that's what's frustrating.

The Rangers played better in Games 5 and 6 -- but the Penguins also played decidedly worse than they had in the previous three games. If the Rangers turned it on and the Penguins played the same as they previously had and still lost, that's okay. But they left a lot on the ice, and you just can't do that in the playoffs!

And, for the record, the shutout Rangers had a lot to play for: their playoff lives. Rallying around St. Louis after the passing of his mother is a nice story, but if a team can't get motivated to play in the playoffs, there are issues -- both teams are struggling here.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,840
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 13, 2014 10:02 am

Luckybreak wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:Dejan is right on.

Some people have come down on me for getting a bit negative during the GDTs and I don't blame them, but it's just knowing the truth about this team. In game five when the Rangers scored their second goal putting them up 2-0, I posted "game over" and got flak for that.

I knew the game was over because I know THIS team. I know their trends, faults and strengths. I'm not trying to act like I have some special insight, I don't, I just watch this team and I'm sure many of us knew that game was lost at that point and it's because THE SAME ISSUES HAUNT THEM.

He couldn't have been more correct in this article about their flaws being looked over because of some success. That's what's been happening since the season after losing to Tampa. I don't fault the Tampa series because I actually think that was some of the best hockey I saw the Penguins play. They played their *** off not having Sid and Gino in the line-up.

This team has had the SAME problems since Therrien.


The problems are widespread, I just wish a coaching change had happened sooner. Now some bad traits seem to be engrained in players and it may be too late for a new hc to turn the ship around


A major issue besides the coaching staff is a pattern of targeting certain types of players instead of changing the dynamic. The Penguins should have and could have retained Iginla and Morrow. Iginla didn't work because of Bylsma, the same way Kovy was a bust. He completely misused these guys. That's fine though, coaches have certain styles and types of players they like to stick to, but what Bylsma has done is just not working here.

Besides coaching change, there needs to be a change in personnel.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,806
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FLPensFan, GeoTank, llipgh2, pcm, sil and 14 guests

e-mail