Dejan's article of negativity

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue May 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Pretty sure you could write an article like this for every team in the sport. If they lose, they lose because of this stuff. If they win, they win despite this stuff.
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue May 13, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,264
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby relantel on Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 pm

The seeding of the excuses before the fact.... begin to wonder if it is reverse psychology to give the team a reason to prove DK and others wrong?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,012
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Dejan makes great points, but one major thing that he doesn't mention is the fact that playoff hockey is different from regular season hockey. This current team is built for regular season hockey, not playoff hockey. It's easy to look pretty and blow out a team you only see a couple of times a year, but when you face a team for up to seven straight games when it's all on the line, it's a different game. The opposition plays you harder, and the refs let a lot more go. Teams that win in the playoffs have skill, but they also have a lot of grit, something this team lacks. Bylsma's pretty stretch passes don't work so well come playoff time, but not having gritty players who'll drive to the net is Ray Shero's fault as much as DB's fault.


I think his general thesis is what you just said.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,684
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote: :shock:

Blame shifting has begun?? Has Shero been handcuffed in bringing in certain types of players? It seems that someone close to Shero is trying to shape the post apocalypse narrative and deflect the blame. A desire from upper management to "keep it clean" doesn't excuse the overall lack of size and grit. Is there internal dissension regarding the lack of protection for Sid?


I don't think there's any blame shifting in this article, I think it's more asking where does the blame lay? and if it's multiple sources, where does it originate?
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,684
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Admin on Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 pm

Interesting that during last year's playoff woes, he stated that Bylsma's job was safe. I'm not seeing that in this current article.
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,829
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
:shock:

Blame shifting has begun?? Has Shero been handcuffed in bringing in certain types of players? It seems that someone close to Shero is trying to shape the post apocalypse narrative and deflect the blame. A desire from upper management to "keep it clean" doesn't excuse the overall lack of size and grit. Is there internal dissension regarding the lack of protection for Sid?


Great find, interesting theories on the PR campaign to protect Shero should the Pens lose. I feel ownership is fighting an uphill battle with little support in terms of cleaning up the game. They neutered Cooke whilst Shero's 'nuclear deterrent' Macintyre experiment failed spectacularly because the guy couldn't play hockey. Makes me think of the acquisitions of Iginla and Morrow last year, brought in for their 'leadership' but both being immeasurably grittier than the current top 9. No, I don't think Shero is to blame for the team's lack of nasty given his previous targets - he seems to have had his hands tied.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Ash UK

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Tico Rick on Tue May 13, 2014 1:56 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Dejan makes great points, but one major thing that he doesn't mention is the fact that playoff hockey is different from regular season hockey. This current team is built for regular season hockey, not playoff hockey. It's easy to look pretty and blow out a team you only see a couple of times a year, but when you face a team for up to seven straight games when it's all on the line, it's a different game. The opposition plays you harder, and the refs let a lot more go. Teams that win in the playoffs have skill, but they also have a lot of grit, something this team lacks. Bylsma's pretty stretch passes don't work so well come playoff time, but not having gritty players who'll drive to the net is Ray Shero's fault as much as DB's fault.


I think his general thesis is what you just said.

Nowhere in his article does Dejan say that playoff hockey is different from regular season hockey. So, no.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,184
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Desiato on Tue May 13, 2014 2:22 pm

How do you know which of your personnel are good if your manager is bad?

You can't expect employees to self-organize and identify/resolve performance/other issues on their own. It just doesn't work that way. No matter how much they get paid.

There is a growing consensus here that the Pens don't play the right way during the regular season. So it's not really reasonable to blame the players when they're not ready for playoff hockey. The players aren't going to form a shadow staff to secretly practice the right plays. A good hockey player does what he's told.

Not that I'm defending this roster. I'm saying let's not advocate throwing away legitimate talent if it hasn't been properly developed. The bottom six requires quite a bit of work and the D is way too soft.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,193
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Dejan makes great points, but one major thing that he doesn't mention is the fact that playoff hockey is different from regular season hockey. This current team is built for regular season hockey, not playoff hockey. It's easy to look pretty and blow out a team you only see a couple of times a year, but when you face a team for up to seven straight games when it's all on the line, it's a different game. The opposition plays you harder, and the refs let a lot more go. Teams that win in the playoffs have skill, but they also have a lot of grit, something this team lacks. Bylsma's pretty stretch passes don't work so well come playoff time, but not having gritty players who'll drive to the net is Ray Shero's fault as much as DB's fault.


I think his general thesis is what you just said.

Nowhere in his article does Dejan say that playoff hockey is different from regular season hockey. So, no.


No, he doesn't. However his general thesis is that the issues that prevent this team from going further in the playoffs is masked by moderate success in the playoffs. Going further, he is saying in general that changes need to be made to bring this team to the cup...so yeah, he pretty much does.

We could have a semantic debate, but the issue he's writing about is the Penguins failure to go further in the playoffs, which means...they aren't successful in the playoffs, which means changes need to be made in order to make them a better team in playoffs because winning in the playoffs is what gets you to the cup... Just because he doesn't specifically say what you're saying doesn't mean he's not saying it.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,684
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Penspal on Tue May 13, 2014 3:31 pm

DK's got a few points that he can validate. Then he tries to avalanche readers with some bogus crap (my opinion, not the Truth) There is waaaay too much brainpower (on this board) to use the word "truth", because that's a slippery slope to begin with, da? Or Pravda?

Honestly, his column would be much better suited until after the Pens lose, IF THEY LOSE. There are so many factors that come into play in all the decisions made, where are the positive points? Must not be any right? Where is the mention of how banged up this team was all year. That doesn't help you get an identity or get to your game. Where is the salary cap points and the fact that most GM's are likely terrified to trade with GMRS as he's good at it?

Has Stempniak and Goc been bad? Didn't we learn from last year that too much star turnover/influx late in the year doesn't work? C'mon, its the one sided negative whitewashing because he doesn't like x,y, and z.

What if the Pens win this round? DK say nada, still crap. And if the Habs beat the Bruins, I could envision the Pens beating the Habs. But wait..... DK needs to back up and reflect on some truths.... And low and behold, if the unbelievable happens and the Pens win the cup..... Well, then I guess he best crawl under that bus that he's attempted to drive over everyone with.

I have emailed DK in the past, gave him credit when he wrote something really good. I'm also going to email him and let him know, that in my opinion, he's way off base on this (mind you, 6-7 of you seem to agree with him). His timing is especially bad, but he must feel like being the first to stick the dagger in is worth it.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,410
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby relantel on Tue May 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Better first than right, apparently.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,012
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby Eismann on Tue May 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Goc and Stempniak have not been good this series. Neither has Bennett. Could be the line juggling. Could be not.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,462
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Re: Dejan's article of negativity

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue May 13, 2014 4:24 pm

I loved the article. Loved it.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,130
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IanMoran, knives of ice, shootinthepuck, TPW and 7 guests

e-mail