Thoughts on tonight

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you believe the Pens will win game 7?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 51

Re: Thoughts on tonight

Postby Tico Rick on Tue May 13, 2014 3:41 pm

DelPen wrote:I honestly don't know. Ask me after the first 2 or 3 minutes of the game.

I really think this will be the case - we'll be able to tell after the first 5 minutes or so who is going to win the game. I can picture the Pens coming out totally scared and tentative, or coming out and dominating. It all depends which Penguin team shows up, and we'll know that very early on, IMO.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SpinnerSpencer on Tue May 13, 2014 3:48 pm

I think it could be similar to Game 4 vs Bos last year. Pens will put up good effort but HL will shine. Fleury will give up 1 more than HL. Maybe 1 or 2 empty netters will make the score look worse. If Pens don't score 1st I'll be changing the channel. This rd, 21 out of 22 teams that have scored 1st have won. 16 out of last 17 game 7 winners have scored 1st.
SpinnerSpencer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue May 13, 2014 3:49 pm

On one hand I don't think the Pens can possibly pull this crap 3 home game 7's in a row, but I can also see Hank playing out of his mind. I am certainly hoping for them to win, but weirdly, I'm not so sure I'll be as upset as I have been in the past if they don't. I don't know why.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue May 13, 2014 3:52 pm

I sense very little optimism in my fellow fans....not saying that I have much, of course.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PAPLine on Tue May 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I think Fleury is safe, regardless of what happens tonight. He's proven that last year was an anomaly.

As I said above, I think they will win tonight, but based on the last 3 to 4 years, I am afraid this year is the anomaly.
By the way, I'm hoping that the anomaly goes for another 9 wins.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Penspal wrote:This is not the "Official poll ;)

Pens are going to win

Ughhhh was so ready to bust your balls for this too
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

serious question.... when was the last home win in a game 7 for the Pens? The losses that stick out were 1989, 1993, 1996, 2010, 2011. I know the other one was 1975 (just wasn't old enough to have watched it). Wins - Devils in 91, Caps in 92, Caps 95, Devils 99, Sabres 2001, Caps 09, Detroit 09? Was the Caps series in 1995 the lone home win?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_srq on Tue May 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Pens are due a game 7 home win. If you take the longer perspective, the anomaly is that they have lost so many game 7s. Eventually it should balance out to something more reasonable, EVEN if this team is as prone to failure as so many believe. I believe they will win.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue May 13, 2014 4:15 pm

relantel wrote:serious question.... when was the last home win in a game 7 for the Pens? The losses that stick out were 1989, 1993, 1996, 2010, 2011. I know the other one was 1975 (just wasn't old enough to have watched it). Wins - Devils in 91, Caps in 92, Caps 95, Devils 99, Sabres 2001, Caps 09, Detroit 09? Was the Caps series in 1995 the lone home win?

1991 njd was at home. I had forgotten that #40, Frankie Pieterangelo was in goal.
Mario left in the 1st period. PG did a recap of these, but nothing to see there for me.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Pens need to throw a different look at the Rangers and also at themselves. The lineup tonight should be:

Jokinen Crosby Neal
Kunitz Malkin Bennett
Glass Sutter Stempinak
Gibbons Goc Vitale

They can't keep playing Sid and Geno together. They aren't generating near enough to justify it. Sid and Neal might be able to get eachother going and Kunitz and Geno have played very well together in the past.

But, we all know that lineup will never happen.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens9192 on Tue May 13, 2014 4:34 pm

This game reeks of some unsung unexpected hero playing big and/or scoring the winning goal ala Talbot in Game 7 of the 2009 Cup Finals.

That's it, I'm calling it. Brian Gibbons with two goals tonight. Pens win 2-0.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Tue May 13, 2014 4:40 pm

it would help greatly if Fleury doesn't let in any crap goals.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 13, 2014 4:43 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:it would help greatly if Fleury doesn't let in any crap goals.

lol
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Tue May 13, 2014 4:43 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:it would help greatly if Fleury doesn't let in any crap goals.

It's telling that, for as well as Fleury has played this postseason, most of us, myself included, still feel this is a distinct possibility.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 13, 2014 4:46 pm

farnham16 wrote:Pens need to throw a different look at the Rangers and also at themselves. The lineup tonight should be:

Jokinen Crosby Neal
Kunitz Malkin Bennett
Glass Sutter Stempinak
Gibbons Goc Vitale

They can't keep playing Sid and Geno together. They aren't generating near enough to justify it. Sid and Neal might be able to get eachother going and Kunitz and Geno have played very well together in the past.

But, we all know that lineup will never happen.

If Bylsma doesn't separate Crosby and Malkin tonight, he's quite possibly proving to be the biggest idiot ever. As was said above, they're not generating enough to justify it AND you've lost back to back games using it.

I don't even care if it's the above lineup, throw Kunitz Sid and Stempniak at them, and go back to Geno's old line. What he's been using hasn't been working, so if he goes with it again then he's once again making things more difficult for this team.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 13, 2014 4:49 pm

pens9192 wrote:This game reeks of some unsung unexpected hero playing big and/or scoring the winning goal ala Talbot in Game 7 of the 2009 Cup Finals.

Agreed. If the Pens win, I'm going with Vitale.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 pm

pens9192 wrote:This game reeks of some unsung unexpected hero playing big and/or scoring the winning goal ala Talbot in Game 7 of the 2009 Cup Finals.

Is Gibbons really an unsung hero? People have been singing his praises as a savior since the Columbus series.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Joker is getting 2
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby America on Tue May 13, 2014 4:53 pm

I said no but I want to change my vote. This feels like Washington game 7 in 09. Except we're home. and Sid had a monster series.

Poop. Let's go pens.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Tue May 13, 2014 4:59 pm

I absolutely hate game 7's. You can outplay the other team by a wide margin, get a few bad breaks and lose by one goal. But we are where we are. We are better and need to show it tonight. Fleury gives up no cheapies and we win.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby scpensfan on Tue May 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Pens will come out and play with desperation and desire. My fear is what happens once that burns off. And it will burn off.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Tue May 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Last year's ECF ripped out my heart and any hope I had for this team. I fully expect the worst tonight. I wish I didn't feel this way but I just can't believe in this group of guys anymore when they're faced with adversity, they've completely folded every time for five years straight.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby danish_penguin on Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 pm

If you gyus are so pessimistic, why do you watch the at all?

Like the players we MUST believe in a win!
danish_penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 13, 2014 6:23 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:Last year's ECF ripped out my heart and any hope I had for this team. I fully expect the worst tonight. I wish I didn't feel this way but I just can't believe in this group of guys anymore when they're faced with adversity, they've completely folded every time for five years straight.

It's more about the coach for me. I have zero confidence in Bylsma, especially when every single stat works against him. It even happened in the Olympics! Everyone here was frightened of the US after the round robin and I just kept telling them to relax, a Bylsma coached team will always struggle when it counts. Sure enough I was right. Different team, different players, same result.

The one thing that keeps me thinking there's a chance tonight is the addition of Jacques Martin. I'm hoping this will be the difference tonight.

However, if what's being reported is correct, we're going to see Glass in for Vitale. I'm not so sure I'm fond of adding a slow player that will try to be physical, but will only put him well behind the play and last man back on the backcheck because of it. Again, this would be Bylsma logic.

Not to mention that he refuses to play one of our best possession defensemen in Despres and instead keeps Scuderi in there night after night.

Because of these off ice decisions in addition to his poor coaching during the game, it's really hard to see this team coming out on top tonight. I don't think anyone can sit there and say they're confident in Bylsma to have the team ready with a winning game plan in place. Not with the way history and this season has played out. If anyone is saying that the Pens will win tonight, it's probably on hope or gut feeling.

I hope Bylsma proves me wrong, but as I said before, I wouldn't be heartbroken as my expectations weren't very high this year, so anything past here would be gravy. As well I'd be very excited to see the changes that would need to be made if they did lose.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IMFC on Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Fleury avoids the big blunder and the secondary scoring comes through again. Pens 3-1 in a nail-biter.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins