Good game, Pens!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Good game, Pens!

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 13, 2014 10:15 pm

it's game 7. everyone knows they aren't calling anything. this isn't an officiating failure. it's just how things are. the players understand this. i don't think you'll see people whining about the refs at tuesday's pizza party.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue May 13, 2014 10:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:it's game 7. everyone knows they aren't calling anything. this isn't an officiating failure. it's just how things are. the players understand this. i don't think you'll see people whining about the refs at tuesday's pizza party.

Every game should be officiated the same. But it's not, because they can't manipulate a game if they do that.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 pm

The Pens deserve positive reinforcement like Kim Jong-Un deserves financial aid.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue May 13, 2014 10:28 pm

It was a good game. Sometimes you don't get the bounces.

And yes, the NHL is flawed.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:
shmenguin wrote:it's game 7. everyone knows they aren't calling anything. this isn't an officiating failure. it's just how things are. the players understand this. i don't think you'll see people whining about the refs at tuesday's pizza party.

Every game should be officiated the same. But it's not, because they can't manipulate a game if they do that.

no one believes there will be consistency in officiating. it's understood. if the pens don't like it, they shouldn't let brian boyle score 5 seconds into the game to put them in a hole.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:30 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:It was a good game. Sometimes you don't get the bounces.

This team hasn't gotten the bounces in the last five years. Time to go pray to the Seven.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue May 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Collapse against the lightning
Collapse against the flyers
Collapse against the bruins
Collapse against the rangers

Its time for a change
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue May 13, 2014 10:33 pm

I agree. I hope to see a lot of changes.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:It was a good game. Sometimes you don't get the bounces.

Keep telling yourself this.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Tue May 13, 2014 10:39 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:I'm not sure if all of the whiners noticed, but the score was 2-1. Pens played a good game. Officiating was terrible and if you can't see that and how the game was dictated by it, then I don't know what to tell you. I don't know what the NHL is trying to do. But they're going to lose fans before they make more if they keep up this garbage.

I think it was a great playoff series between two veteran teams. It was a hard fought battle. This wasn't the circus of the Flyers or the historic shutdown against the Bruins. This was a good battle between two beaten, veteran teams.

As for the officiating, that's just the NHL. It sucks, but it's always been like that. Success in the playoffs requires a style that mitigates the effectiveness of obstruction.

Once the refs put the whistle away, the way the Pens play during the regular season is futile because it's easy to interrupt.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JarkkoVision on Tue May 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Desiato wrote:
JarkkoVision wrote:I'm not sure if all of the whiners noticed, but the score was 2-1. Pens played a good game. Officiating was terrible and if you can't see that and how the game was dictated by it, then I don't know what to tell you. I don't know what the NHL is trying to do. But they're going to lose fans before they make more if they keep up this garbage.

I think it was a great playoff series between two veteran teams. It was a hard fought battle. This wasn't the circus of the Flyers or the historic shutdown against the Bruins. This was a good battle between two beaten, veteran teams.

As for the officiating, that's just the NHL. It sucks, but it's always been like that. Success in the playoffs requires a style that mitigates the effectiveness of obstruction.

Once the refs put the whistle away, the way the Pens play during the regular season is futile because it's easy to interrupt.

I understand that. I just feel that it has gotten worse and out of hand. I don't mind letting them play, but there was a lot of stuff that I thought was just plain ridiculous. I just don't get how you can talk about protecting players and then letting head shots go.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Tue May 13, 2014 11:00 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:I just don't get how you can talk about protecting players and then letting head shots go.

Because it's just talk. When a group of players one day attempts to sue, the NHL can demonstrate the effort it made to protect players, yada yada yada.

The NHL is an entertainment product. A large percentage of the fan base is purported to be the MMA crowd that enjoy fighting and violence. That's why the NHL has fights and scrums. Those elements would be easily removed if the will to do so was present.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 am

For tonight being the same crew as game 6, game sure wasn't called the same. 4 and 6 power plays in game 6, to 1 and 2 in game 7. That change in and of itself directly led to the result. The Rangers got an extra chance, and capitalized. The Pens never got their extra chance, and couldn't kill the Niskanen trip. Did the refs decide it? No, but they might as well have.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that the Penguins didn't earn more than an abbreviated power play the way this game played out. This game tracked more with the 1-0 Tampa Bay game 7 than Montreal in 2010 or the Flyers or Bruins the last two years. So while they are going home, and there are questions about some players, there should be no question that Fleury redeemed himself.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 am

shmenguin wrote:the officiating didn't matter. we took a shot. it didn't go in. the zone was cleared. repeat 30 times. and there you have it.

Actually it was more like a wrist shot from just inside the blue line against one of the world's best goalies, clear the zone... Repeat 30 times.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 am

If I am the Pens I stop being so league friendly.... If I am Crosby, I stop any, every, and all appearances that further the NHL brand. In fact he should stop being a poster boy. The league doesn't protect him, he certainly doesn't need to push the nation's garage league.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby slipshod on Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 am

SoupOrSam wrote:If I am the Pens I stop being so league friendly.... If I am Crosby, I stop any, every, and all appearances that further the NHL brand. In fact he should stop being a poster boy. The league doesn't protect him, he certainly doesn't need to push the nation's garage league.

If Crosby started talking to the lawyers who were involved in the NFL concussion lawsuit in a very public manner he MIGHT get the attention of the NHL.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 am

viva la ben wrote:Collapse against the lightning
Collapse against the flyers
Collapse against the bruins
Collapse against the rangers

Its time for a change

You forgot collapse against the Habs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 am

Like others said, it wasn't last night, it was the overall playoffs and blowing a 3-1 series lead and not playing in the previous two.

If the series was tightly fought, went back and forth and the Pens lost 2-1 in a hard fought game over a hard fought series, then I would agree with you. Sometimes you lose. But it is the way they blew the series, the way they didn't show up for some games, and just the last 5 years of playing heartless hockey during the playoffs at times that is why everyone is so mad.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IMFC on Wed May 14, 2014 9:00 am

Desiato wrote:As for the officiating, that's just the NHL. It sucks, but it's always been like that. Success in the playoffs requires a style that mitigates the effectiveness of obstruction.

This is the best description of the situation I've ever read.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins