Fleury's future

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

should we keep Fleury as our starting goalie?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 119

Re: Fleury's future

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Maestro wrote:Fleury is awful. Look at the #s.

I know! There are a whole 4 goalies with a better SV% than him in these playoffs!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 11:03 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Maestro wrote:Fleury is awful. Look at the #s.

I know! There are a whole 4 goalies with a better SV% than him in these playoffs!

And there were a whole 23 in the regular season. And a whole 11 in last year's playoffs (out of 11). And a whole 10 (out of 10) in the previous year's playoffs.

That's right, in '12 and '13, he was dead last in SV% of playoff goalies.

But no, he's a good goalie because he played OK against two mediocre offensive teams this year.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Maestro on Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 am

Anyone who understands metrics knows it's about patterns/trends that result from a large pool of data. Look at the past 5 years of data. Fleury is 15th in sv % in reg season and when compared to goaltenders who have played for the same team over that period dead last in sv % in the playoffs. This year wasnt about him but his performance does not qualify him as a 5 mil/yr player.
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 am

count2infinity wrote:For those that voted no, go ahead and tell me what free agent out there (this year or next year when Fleury becomes a FA) would you play over him?

This year:

Ryan Miller
Martin Brodeur
Jonas Hiller
Tim Thomas
Jaroslav Halak
Devan Dubnyk
Evgeni Nabokov
Ilya Bryzgalov
Brian Elliott
Ray Emory

really none of these match what we have in Fleury as far as talent and experience are concerned and aren't really really old. Next year when Fleury is a free agent, other free agents are:

Cory Schneider
Antti Niemi
Craig Anderson
Viktor Fasth
Ben Bishop
Josh Harding
Jhonas Enroth

I would say that there are some here that I wouldn't mind having including Bishop or Enroth, but I don't know. Anyone have any favorites from either list?

You do not just keep the status quo because it is good enough for now. Sometimes you just need to make changes and move forward. So... anyone under 34 or 35 years old on that list will do.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu May 15, 2014 10:49 am

If this was a hockey team known for defense and those were the numbers put up, I'd say you could do better... but I think a lot of people underestimate how bad the penguins 5 man defense actually is, especially in the playoffs, not to mention that in 2 of the past 3 years - the team couldn't get out of it's own end without turning the puck over.

Some of these goalies that have suggested as replacements... good lord talk about a disaster on this team. I'm glad some of you are posting this gibberish on a message board and not anywhere near a GM office.

As I've said, this thread is pretty much a joke anyway - the only people blaming goaltending are the morons who have no understanding of what they watch during a hockey game. It's the same mentality the yinzer steeler fans have who think 250 lb running backs with quick feet grow on trees. "OMG get Frank "The Tank" Summers in to be the new Bettis!!"

Morons....
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:If this was a hockey team known for defense and those were the numbers put up, I'd say you could do better... but I think a lot of people underestimate how bad the penguins 5 man defense actually is, especially in the playoffs.

Some of these goalies that have suggested as replacements... good lord talk about a disaster on this team. I'm glad some of you are posting this gibberish on a message board and not anywhere near a GM office.

I agree with this. Niskanen was exposed in a top 4 role, and Maata was completely out of gas.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MarioLives on Thu May 15, 2014 6:12 pm

So the team drafts nothing but defensemen for the past 8 years and their defense sucks?? Sounds like goaltending is not the issue
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm not denying Fleury's pedestrian statistics up to this point, but this just seems like a weird time to grind the ax. He had a fine playoffs, and performed admirably in the Rangers series. I don't really know what "better" is out there at the moment (that we can realistically acquire while losing Fleury)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Thu May 15, 2014 6:27 pm

I hope MAF stays a Penguin.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Thu May 15, 2014 6:28 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm not denying Fleury's pedestrian statistics up to this point, but this just seems like a weird time to grind the ax. He had a fine playoffs, and performed admirably in the Rangers series. I don't really know what "better" is out there at the moment (that we can realistically acquire while losing Fleury)

Exactly.... It is not like there are a plethora of top tier goalies out there
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:If this was a hockey team known for defense and those were the numbers put up, I'd say you could do better... but I think a lot of people underestimate how bad the penguins 5 man defense actually is, especially in the playoffs.

I agree with this. Niskanen was exposed in a top 4 role, and Maata was completely out of gas.

Huh?? Nisky was our best d-man this playoffs
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu May 15, 2014 6:59 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:If this was a hockey team known for defense and those were the numbers put up, I'd say you could do better... but I think a lot of people underestimate how bad the penguins 5 man defense actually is, especially in the playoffs, not to mention that in 2 of the past 3 years - the team couldn't get out of it's own end without turning the puck over.

As I've said, this thread is pretty much a joke anyway - the only people blaming goaltending are the morons who have no understanding of what they watch during a hockey game. It's the same mentality the yinzer steeler fans have who think 250 lb running backs with quick feet grow on trees. "OMG get Frank "The Tank" Summers in to be the new Bettis!!"

Morons....

Pretty much this! :thumb:

Fleury rebounded from last year and rebounded well. The Pens loss to the Rangers wasn't his fault. If his team had played defense well in front of him, if the highly paid forwards we have had actually scored goals, this conversation wouldn't be happening. And it still shouldn't be happening.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu May 15, 2014 8:32 pm

MarioLives wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Huh?? Nisky was our best d-man this playoffs

I have Niskanen as our second best defender behind Martin this season and in the playoffs. He had a horrible game 7 but he was very reliable otherwise. I do not know who else you would rate over him (other than Martin).
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cu11en on Fri May 16, 2014 7:51 am

Yes he has a good save percentage. Yes he makes clutch saves.

But the tango with Maata in front of his net with a minute to go is somewhat of a microcosm of the frustrations here. Every few post season games there's something defying description that shouldn't be happening around his own net.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Fri May 16, 2014 8:02 am

That was more Maatta's fault than Fleury's
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Fri May 16, 2014 8:23 am

Froggy wrote:That was more Maatta's fault than Fleury's

As in, 95% Maatta's fault. He had no business being where he was.

As for the other 5%, well, the puck didn't go in the net, right?
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cu11en on Fri May 16, 2014 8:48 pm

I simply said they are events that seem to frequently occur around his net that defy description in the postseason.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Sat May 17, 2014 1:53 am

Cu11en wrote:I simply said they are events that seem to frequently occur around his net that defy description in the postseason.

Well, actually you cited a specific incidence in which he probably SAVED a goal because of someone else's mistake, but whatever
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun May 18, 2014 1:38 pm

The one thing that Fleury has going for him is that he has only 1 year left on his deal. The new GM can rest knowing that if Fleury falters, there is no long term issue. If he does well then you can point out his not picking up the slack to keep any potential new contract "low".
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins