Fleury's future

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

should we keep Fleury as our starting goalie?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 119

Re: Fleury's future

Postby PghSkins on Tue May 13, 2014 11:04 pm

I am an admitted Fleury fan- He stole one game at least this series and probably deserved a better fate tonight. I definitely go with him next year and if there's nobody better out there I look to keep him around longer.

He cost them one game vs Columbus but his team picked him up and won the series. He played well enough to beat NYR.
Last edited by PghSkins on Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Tue May 13, 2014 11:04 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Where are these goalies that shine behind crappy defense and are available?

This is an excellent question
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 pm

This was Fleury's best post season with the worst team he's had in front of him. He had one pretty lousy game and one error in judgment. The rest of the time, he played well. When you step back and realize how many odd man rushes and quality wide open shots in front of him, he made the team look a lot better than they should have.

If there are major moves this offseason, there's no reason to make this one. He made a huge stride forward this year from the previous 2. You don't bail on an upswing.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Flower's stats below when facing elimination. I'm not saying they are great, but probably a far cry from the national (or LGP) perception.

6-6
90.8 SV %
2.395 GAA

2.4 GA should be better than 6-6. MAF is not our problem.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 14, 2014 12:36 am

Steve wrote:Who's available to replace MAF? It's tough to answer that poll without knowing.

MAF was solid in the postseason for the most part.

This is what I have been saying constantly. Dump Fleury for who? Miller, Halak, and Hiller are the big 3 free agents. Halak had one decent post-season, but was traded 3 times this season. Hiller's playoff numbers the last two years are similar to Fleury, and he is being forced out by emergence of Gibson and Anderson. Miller is 4 years older, and has been stuck on bad Buffalo team for awhile. Who knows what you are getting there? None of them have won the Cup.

Dumping Fleury is a crapshot at this point. If the Pens played it smarter, they could have acquired a young goalie a year or two ago to groom if Fleury faltered. But they didn't, so better off keeping him.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Wed May 14, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bdevido on Wed May 14, 2014 12:37 am

to blame fluery for this meltdown is beyond ridiculous. that first goal tonight, in the end, was a 4 on 1. get real.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby neophool on Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 am

Honestly, who could we get that would be a clear upgrade without losing a Sutter, Malkin, Letang, Neal etc? Scuderi and a pick ain't gonna land us a Holtby or Frederickson.

free agent goalies

Tim Thomas? barf
Halak? interesting
Miller? expensive and in my mind, a little overrated
Hiller? trending down

outside of a big trade, its MAF next year i think.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 1:20 am

I can't watch the Ducks as much as I should but Hiller has better career GPG and Save % numbers than Fleury does in both the regular season and playoffs. Would not mind him.

And I do know about the Ducks wanting to bench him currently..,

And yes, I know Hiller is 3 years older than MAF.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Unbeliever on Wed May 14, 2014 1:27 am

MAF didn't cost us these playoffs anymore than Vokoun cost us the Boston series. There is absolutely no point in letting him go before you've first tried to replace the coaching staff and the vast majority of the forwards.
Unbeliever
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 1:37 am

Unbeliever wrote:MAF didn't cost us these playoffs anymore than Vokoun cost us the Boston series. There is absolutely no point in letting him go before you've first tried to replace the coaching staff and the vast majority of the forwards.

Vokoun saved MAF's behind in the Islanders series. Not to mention advanced another round.

MAF is tremendously average and unless we have a top roster, were not going to win with him.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bdevido on Wed May 14, 2014 1:44 am

the real truth is maybe fluery, crosby, and malkin will never win again together. one needs to go, that is for sure. 5 years is long enough of an experiment and its been a failed hypothesis.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DayWalker on Wed May 14, 2014 1:54 am

MAF earned the right to be the team's long-term goalie again. He was bad-to-awful against Montreal, Philly, and the Islanders, but he was good enough in these playoffs. He is far down the list of villains. You do not need an elite goalie to win a Cup, and I am not sure who else out there is demonstrably better. I once again believe they can win a Cup with MAF.

That said, he may be swept up in the tsunami that (hopefully) hits this organization this summer. Overhauling the rest of the roster is the biggest priority, so MAF may survive the cut, but I would not be surprised if a radical change in approach means MAF goes, too.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 14, 2014 1:57 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:MAF didn't cost us these playoffs anymore than Vokoun cost us the Boston series. There is absolutely no point in letting him go before you've first tried to replace the coaching staff and the vast majority of the forwards.

Vokoun saved MAF's behind in the Islanders series. Not to mention advanced another round.

MAF is tremendously average and unless we have a top roster, were not going to win with him.

MAF gave up 15 goals in 7 games against the Rangers, which was the lowest the Penguins have ever given up in a series that went 7 games.

Fleury was not the team's problem.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bdevido on Wed May 14, 2014 2:04 am

#87 was the teams problem and its high time people realize it, along with the lack of an actual winger to play along with him.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 2:05 am

MRandall25 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:

MAF gave up 15 goals in 7 games against the Rangers, which was the lowest the Penguins have ever given up in a series that went 7 games.

Fleury was not the team's problem.

You're referencing one series with an offensively inept team. Howd he do against the Isles last year? Or the Flyers the year before?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 14, 2014 2:06 am

And you're referencing the past. Fleury of this season and postseason has not looked like Fleury of the past.

Fleury was pretty much the only reason we made it this far. Can't believe some here want to get rid of him. Shaking my head...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bdevido on Wed May 14, 2014 2:13 am

exactly, without fluery, jokinen and malkin we wouldn't have even made it until tonight. pathetic team effort.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed May 14, 2014 3:07 am

There are bigger fish to fry than Fleury. Keep him at least until his current contract expires, then maybe we make a change. For now though, this was his best playoffs in years. He was not the problem. Besides, who do you replace him with? Miller might be available, but at what cost? Anyone else who would be an upgrade long term will cost you assets to acquire.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 am

I don't even think Miller is an upgrade over Fleury at this point. If he is, it's not enough of an upgrade to take on the difference in salary.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 7:51 am

If Miller couldn't perform with a strong Blues team then there is no way he's an upgrade here.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 7:52 am

Of course.

He played well and was one of the few bright spots.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 am

That sports doc worked wonders with him. He was very good during reg and post season.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby k0la on Wed May 14, 2014 8:09 am

The docs that helped Fleury should help some of the star players in the team too
He's good enough to be the starting goalie, so you don't throw him away for someone your not sure about. Best Pens can do is probably to try out different backups and hope to find a good replacement there soon.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:10 am

Keep him as the starter, but get someone solid to back him up. Fleury should get a little more rest next season. And for the love of God, whoever they get for a backup, PLEASE GET SOMEONE WHO CAN HANDLE THE PUCK!!
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Wed May 14, 2014 8:18 am

JarkkoVision wrote:He played solid as hell and gets a thread like this?

At the point of time of this post, 86% want MAF back next year. With one more year on the contract, unless he's part of a package deal that brings back a solid goalie, we are all in this MAF boat together.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins