Fleury's future

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

should we keep Fleury as our starting goalie?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 119

Re: Fleury's future

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 am

As I said earlier, keep him, but bring in a more capable backup...perhaps even a young guy. There will be a new coach and system and Fleury may flourish in it. If his play goes the other direction, just don't renew him after next season and go with the young guy.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 9:19 am

Of the 52 votes, I'm convinced that Jim created 7 other accounts that total all 8 of the "No" votes.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Wed May 14, 2014 9:27 am

Isn't Zatkoff on a one way contract? I'd like to see a vet sign here for one or two years, but not sure if the cap space is available to carry 3 goalies even though Z's contract is in the neighborhood of 700k if memory serves..
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 am

This playoffs convinced me that Fleury is just fine as the Pens goaltender moving forward. There is no other goalie available that is better (IMO). Sure it would be nice to have a "Luck"vist but that is just not happening.

I am fine with the Flower.... but I think as an organization, they need to start working on the replacement.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 am

Hawkeynut wrote:This playoffs convinced me that Fleury is just fine as the Pens goaltender moving forward. There is no other goalie available that is better (IMO). Sure it would be nice to have a "Luck"vist but that is just not happening.

I am fine with the Flower.... but I think as an organization, they need to start working on the replacement.

I think they have their eventual replacement already in Tristan Jarry.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed May 14, 2014 9:43 am

I voted yes, but I can go either way really. He certainly wasn't to blame against the Rangers, and he DID have two shutouts in the series. But the stats say (no matter how you slice them) that he is nothing more than a slightly above average goalie playing behind a great regular season team.

The problem is, what would you replace him with? There's certainly nobody in the organization who is ready to be an NHL goalie. Maybe Jarry will be down the road, but that's a long ways away. No way do I want Miller after he flopped behind a good defensive team in St. Louis. Hiller is no better than Fleury. Too bad they didn't draft John Gibson.

So I say keep Fleury next year and then see how things play out after his contract is up. If he thinks he's due a huge raise, it's buh-bye. If he's willing to play for an average starter salary, then maybe we can talk.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 14, 2014 9:47 am

Fleury wasn't bad at all. He is not elite, but he is definitely a good starter. Seems he shook some demons this playoff series.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 14, 2014 9:50 am

Ive been a big Fleury hater since last post season, but I am fine with them moving forward with him. He cost us one games versus C-Bus, but not the series, and certainly played well enough versus the Rangers for us to win. The thing that really stood out to me was that when he did let in a shaky goal, he would bounce back, unlike last year, when he would just crumble. That progress, to me, is enough to keep him until his deal is up.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:55 am

Yeah...Jarry has a ridiculous record of 60-18-4 and 11 shutouts in 84 games played (including playoffs obviously) with the Edmonton Oil Kings this season. At 19, he's on the fast track to the NHL. Probably two years away, but all indication is that he's the real deal.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:57 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I've been a Fleury detractor in the past, but no way. He was workable, if not outstanding, in these playoffs. When our "stars" are choking, what is he supposed to do?

That being said, he was outplayed thoroughly tonight.

He stole as many as he blew, but the one that he REALLY blew for us was a mental mistake which every goaltender makes. He rebounded in a big way.

He is our goaltender.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 10:35 am

Crankshaft wrote:Of the 52 votes, I'm convinced that Jim created 7 other accounts that total all 8 of the "No" votes.

Nope, it just shows that (as of right now) there are 9 other smart people on the board, and 53 that think that MAF is funny or dreamy...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed May 14, 2014 11:03 am

Huge playoff performance improvement from past years. Maybe he finally 'gets it' that his job is to stop the puck.
That's it. Stop. The. Puck.
I hope he stays for another year.
(Anyone know what crow tastes like?)
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pensfan1989 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:19 pm

I've been one of the biggest advocates for trading him, but at this point he's shown enough to keep him.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Fleury matured a lot this past year, and I think he will become a solid veteran goaltender. Could the Pens have a better goalie? Perhaps, but they have many more serious problems to solve right now.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:33 pm

I don't understand why people on here think he's matured in one season. He was laughably horrendous last season. So bad that we inserted the AARP member Vokoun.

He had a few good games and a few terrible ones as well.

Lundqvist never makes those plays.

He's too much of a risk at this point because at any moment I expect him to make the worst plays in goalie history. Now, maybe it's because I had to spend last weekend with a bunch of Flyers and Rangers fans but yeah, Fleury is comical.
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 12:34 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I don't understand why people on here think he's matured in one season. He was laughably horrendous last season. So bad that we inserted the AARP member Vokoun.

He had a few good games and a few terrible ones as well.

Lundqvist never makes those plays.

So the burden of proof you're presenting is two gifs...from one game?

You can see the flaws in your logic, right?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:39 pm

That's an example of a terrible game that he had.

I could also post that he had a .915 SV% this season (24th in the league) and is a career .905 SV%.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 12:44 pm

He gave up a few from the blue line that he say the entire way. Did he suck, no.... was he playoff good, no.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Don't goalies really hit their stride in their 30s? I don't know, but I recall reading that in more than a few places.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:Don't goalies really hit their stride in their 30s? I don't know, but I recall reading that in more than a few places.

I think it depends on the goalie's style. If they depend on athleticism and quickness then I think it hurts them.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 pm

he didn't melt down this year, but he also faced 2 impotent offenses. he gets a participation trophy.

he's an average goalie who gets paid, roughly, like an average goalie. so whatever.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Playing like Dominic Hasek: You're doing it wrong!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 12:55 pm

His cost is low for a starter right now and he's more talented than most guys anyways.

It would be interesting to see what he does behind a well coached team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 12:55 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:Don't goalies really hit their stride in their 30s? I don't know, but I recall reading that in more than a few places.

I think it depends on the goalie's style. If they depend on athleticism and quickness then I think it hurts them.

So I imagine conditioning becomes even more critical. Thanks, MIMH.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Wed May 14, 2014 1:52 pm

As performing poorly was ok for four playoffs straight I'm sure he's more than safe now after one relatively good playoff showing.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins