'14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 am

Pens lost 2-1 (Our final thoughts from the morning after)

- Lundquist was equal to the challenge & was the difference maker
- MAF was far from a trainwreck of year's past, but Lundquist won the battle
- Jussi, Malkin, Martin, Niskanen and Sutter get passing grades, but the rest underperformed imho
- One of the few things I look forward after losses are the secret revealed. Who was injured, etc
- I expect a shakeup of sorts, based on track record but more due to staying pat last year.
- Sid & HCDB had 2-3 shouting matches on bench over playoffs, and didn't seem cohesive in this series
- I could not build up the hate on the Rangers like most opponents would bring forth, seems the Pens felt the same way
- The footnote to this series will be how the Rangers rallied around MSL Mom's passing & how Lundquist shut the door
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 14, 2014 8:14 am

It's my official start to baseball season. :thumb:

Wake me up when September ends.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed May 14, 2014 8:20 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
Wake me up when September ends.

Good Tune, seems fitting.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 14, 2014 8:21 am

Mixed emotions. The roller coaster ride is over. Disappointed, but some for some weird reason, relieved.

Lundquist was good, but not great. Needed to pound him with shots and he would have been more human.

Geno was outstanding. Great effort last night.

Fleury was also very good. Saw tons of 2 on 1's and came up big. Kept the Pens in the game.

The Rags knew our system (such as it is) better than we did. There must be a cheat sheet the opposing coaches pass around - which they don't look at until mid-April.
Humperdink
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 8:23 am

Bylsma lost his team. He looked defeated and like he knew he was going to be fired at what they showed of the post game presser last night on NBCSN.

It's possible the US Olympic team might have done better if Bylsma wasn't involved.

If Shero stays he has to be under a miscroscope. He is the reason Byslma was back. It was ridiculous for him to say he went all-in last year only to get swept and then extend Bylsma.

I didnts expect much this year but I also didn't expect the Metro to be this bad, should have been able to sleepwalk to the conference finals again by just going through the motions of a solid system.

If the Jackets and Wings swapped places we would have got bounced in the first round.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jamie on Wed May 14, 2014 8:27 am

Geno was great this post season. He was something to watch with the puck on his stick.

I thought the Pens went flat for a bit after they tied the game. How does that happen? You just tied a game seven, and then the whole team takes the next 3 or 4 shifts off and lets NY dominate puck possession.

This team was a rush team. Who can remember the last time somebody banged in a garbage goal in the crease area?

I believe Sid was injured

James Neal should be traded IMO. To many selfish, childish penalties that occurred in O zone, or while we were on the power play

I think this melt down may have punched Bylsma's ticket out of town.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 am

Bummer that it's over. But, not surprised one bit that they lost last night.

Time to move on with real life.

Pens will probably have a new coach next year.

See you in October.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 am

My guesses at hurt players (significant injuries)

- Crosby, Neal, Bennett, Maatta, Kunitz

Changes that will likely be made
- I'm officially on the trade Neal bandwagon
- Something must be done to free up cap space (In GMRS I kinda/maybe trust less than I used to but still want to ya'know)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 am

Penspal wrote:My guesses at hurt players (significant injuries)

Maybe banged up a little, but injured? No.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PAPLine on Wed May 14, 2014 8:48 am

I went to the game with a different attitude than usual last night. I went as a hockey fan, not a Penguins fan.
The biggest thing I noticed was how disciplined the Rangers were, especially in their breakouts, and in their cycling. For the most part, the Pens looked helter skelter. The had trouble getting out of their zone and working the puck in the Rangers zone.
Yes, Geno looked great, but again it seemed that he was playing kind of one-on-one most of the time. In the second he came down the left wing with an open path to the goal, but elected to cut across the middle and lost the puck to a defender on the right wing boards.
Crosby was once again invisible. Not even any harassment from the Rangers to make you notice he was on the ice. Glass was back, but I'm not sure why. Fleury played pretty good last night. I think both of the goals were probably more attributable to the defense than to him.
All in all, I think that if you have a bunch of superstars and just let them play with no discipline or game plan, it is easy to loose to a well coached bunch of guys named Harry.
For the last two July's I have predicted that the Pens would not make any noise in the next years playoffs, and I seem to have been right. My reason, the Pens do not have a play-off coach. We'll see this year if the senior management of the Pens can figure it out. They have five years worth of evidence to look back on.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed May 14, 2014 8:49 am

As often as Bennett has been injured, I think he was injury free this playoffs. He was fighting along the boards and throwing hits every game. I think he just needs time to catch up on the experience he's missed while injured, and work on his strength and speed in the offseason.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cedar Penn on Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 am

I’m Melting……..

Last edited by Cedar Penn on Wed May 14, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby darkstar57 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 am

-Lundquist was the best player in this series, hands down (not sure where this he was good stuff is coming from), he won the rangers this series
-Not enough players to the nets, the best chances came when geno was driving the net, ditto with sutter.
-
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed May 14, 2014 8:51 am

[quote="PAPLine"] Glass was back, but I'm not sure why. [quote]

To play 6:09 and have an impact on the game with his physicality....
Last edited by Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 am

The better team won.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Niles on Wed May 14, 2014 8:54 am

Hurt or not - they were far from the expected performance. For Määttä and also Bennett we can use the "Rookie mistakes" excuse card, but for the rest. Nope.

No bridge jumping or anything, but I'm slightly disappointed :scared:
Niles
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:57 am

I haven't thought this team could win since before the Olympics. It was frustrating and disappointing. Several all star and Olympian caliber players and they just didn't play well. What has their record been since the end of January? Has to be hovering around .500. Thats a poor hockey team.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 14, 2014 8:59 am

I just want to say the crowd did a good job last night.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TwoSheds on Wed May 14, 2014 9:02 am

Regarding the loss of St. Louis's mother as incentive, could a Pen's player have a relative on some sort of life maintaining device where someong could 'accidentally' trip over the plug? ~ Louie DePalma

Neal-the invisable man, cannot trade his big contract for anything, will have to cut him.
See ya Mr. Bylsma!
Sid can pick the next coach.
Nice passes on the PP. Too bad no one will shoot!
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed May 14, 2014 9:03 am

- Pens played well. Had they played that way in Game 5, we wouldn't be having this conversation
- This is what happens in Game 7s. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
- Luckqvist was great, but also lucky. When deflections are hitting you, it's your night.
- Geno was into it. Sid wasn't.
- James Neal is a worthless stupid hockey player.
- Can't blame Fleury for either goal, but who knows what happens if he stops one of them?
- Horrible play by Niskanen on the first goal. Will that be how he's remembered, a la Gonchar?
- Maatta looked really worn down. Not surprising.
- Scuderi looked washed up. Not surprising.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Wed May 14, 2014 9:04 am

newarenanow wrote:I just want to say the crowd did a good job last night.

They were great to start, and there was even a solid Let's Go Pens chant when they were down 2-1 in the third.

The boos at the end of the game were not that audible on TV, so my take on reading about it from those present was that was overblown. No doubt there were large pockets of discontented fans, and they paid to do what they want.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 14, 2014 9:06 am

Gaucho wrote:

Maybe banged up a little, but injured? No.

Rossi tweeted that Crosby told him he's perfectly healthy.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cedar Penn on Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 am

Penspal wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I just want to say the crowd did a good job last night.

They were great to start, and there was even a solid Let's Go Pens chant when they were down 2-1 in the third.

The boos at the end of the game were not that audible on TV, so my take on reading about it from those present was that was overblown. No doubt there were large pockets of discontented fans, and they paid to do what they want.

They booed the Rangers off the ice louder after Game #4 :lol:
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby rgj on Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 am

I really don't have too much to say, except I am extremely disappointed in the Pens. I don't have any words to describe them, other than they are NOT a playoff caliber team and haven't been since 2009. I don't know whether or not the Pens are stuck in what others have termed their "country club" mentality or MT's "dey soff, dey don' care" mode.

The bottom line is that the Pens were just not prepared for the playoffs. That is coaching. That is management.

It is also evident to me that the regular season means squat.

I am extremely disappointed in Crosby. For the first time I saw what others see, his whining, his immaturity, his allowing the opposition to harrass him until he pulls cheap shots in retaliation. I can handle the fact that he has only scored ONE goal in the playoffs. What I cannot handle is his attitude in getting into shouting matches with his coach on the bench. He can now add "most insubordinate player" to his many trophies and accolades. In my mind that will stain him forever. Now, I don't care if the Pens keep him or not. Perhaps that "C" on Crosby's sweater has more of a "cancer" connotation than "captain."

Bylsma is gone. I think he lost the team last year. I don't like to see anyone lose their job, especially a coach or manager of a sports team, simply because it is the players that make or break the coach or manager. When Bylsma's contract was extended last year, it surprised me, but I felt that it was good for team chemistry to keep as much of the team together. In one vein, I cannot totally blame Bylsma. He is the coach the Pens owners wanted, a players' coach. I distinctly remember the Scotty Bowman days, when the great Mario Lemieux complained long and loud enough that Bowman was barred from practices. WHAT??? And the Pens (Mario) hired Byslma.

I thought the team was a true cohesive unit, you know, all for one, and one for all type of deal. Lately, reports coming out about dissension in the Pens' clubhouse distress me. If that's the case, clean house from the towelboy on up.

The Pens have to totally retool. Fleury is not an "elite" goalie. He is adequate (well, most of the time). He did fairly well this post season, regardless of the Pens' defense being in "sieve" mode most of the season. As was stated on the cover of today's NY paper (Daily News, I think)...."HENRY the 7th." THAT is an "elite" goaltender.

We'll see what happens. The Pens need an overhaul. If not, then I will expect more of the same. Great season wins, stats, accolades....but playoff chokers.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Wed May 14, 2014 9:28 am

- The Penguins looked tight in the first period. They took some shots but they looked forced and there was no one getting in front of Lundqvist.
- Niskanen made a big mistake on the first goal, he had a pretty rough game overall. He was one of the better players on the team all year so that's unfortunate that one of his worst games was last night.
- New York pushed back after the game was tied. They had 3 or 4 good shifts and drew a penalty which led to the GWG.
- This was the Penguins best loss of the series, they played pretty hard. Lundqvist was just too good in the third period.
- Malkin's line was really good last night, they were playing in the Rangers zone and trying to get traffic on Lundqvist.
- It should have been noticed in January, March, and April that Gibbons didn't work well with Crosby.
- I'm not sure why Bennett was scratched but I don't see how that can be justified given that Tanner Glass only played 6 minutes. Adams, Vitale, Gibbons, Glass should not play over Bennett. Bennett at his worst is better than those players.
- The amount of time the bottom 6 played last night is also indicative of just how little depth this team had. Compare it to the Rangers, they had a better forward group in this series.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins