'14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby PAPLine on Wed May 14, 2014 2:36 pm

André wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Lundquist was good, but not great. Needed to pound him with shots and he would have been more human.

Yeah 36 SOG is just putrid.

Yes, when no more that 6 or 8 of them were good shots, most seemed to come from outside. At least a half dozen were off the net and KHL gloved them. Yeah, 36 is a lot of shots, but most of them were easy saves.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 14, 2014 2:43 pm

BuckintheLou wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:Sid wants and new coach and he quit. Great player, has never been a good captain.

Shero and Bylsma should be gone before the end of the week.

Shero and ownership believed too much that the NHL was going to become a leauge where skill and finess would win hockey games. This may be kind of true in the regular season, nothing has changed in the playoffs. The leauge simply is not going to call the obstruction and cheap shots in the playoffs. The Penguins kept signing players and implementing systems like the league was going to change. They also "doubled down" on this proposition from their soapbox after the Islanders debacle.

For the last 6:30 ot last nights game, this team crashed the net like a playoff team. This is 6:30 of the past three playoff seasons.

Say what you want about our D and goalie, this team scored a combined 5 goals in the last four playoff games in 2013 plus last three in 2014.

Perimiter teams do not cscore playoff goals. Perimiter teams do not draw playoff penalites. Perimiter teams do not wear down their opponents. If i had taken a drink every time Sid went to the net this playoff, i would have been really thirsty. If i had taken one everytime he attempted a corss ice / back to the blue line pass, I would be dead.

Nisky / Orpik are gone. Bring up the kids and for the love of god let them play. We place too much importance on the regular season, like being i higher playoff seed means anything.

Don't like Neal's character but we are so thin at forward, we must keep him.

Resign Fleury at the right price.

Send Scuds to AHL / Islanders.

Back when Shero was the smartest man in hockey, he let guys like Scuedri walk because he didnt want to offer more than a 2 year deal to older players. He suddenly became Ellwood Blues as in "we're putting the band back together" and signed Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis, Adams to deals that will hurt the organization going forward.

Shero and Bylsma turned this team into the Washington Capitals. And Sid is cast perfectly as 8.

Fix it.

:thumb: Especially this: Back when Shero was the smartest man in hockey, he let guys like Scuedri walk because he didnt want to offer more than a 2 year deal to older players. He suddenly became Ellwood Blues as in "we're putting the band back together" and signed Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis, Adams to deals that will hurt the organization going forward.
I was on the "re-sign Duper" bandwagon but I didn't think GMRS would give him the farm!

I wouldn't call 3.75 mil/yr for Duper giving away the farm. The contract was probably 1 year too long, but if they were going to replace him with a free agent it would have cost a lot more than 3.75. See David Clarkson at 5 mil/yr, now there is a high ROI. :scared:
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Wed May 14, 2014 2:58 pm

This quote from Rossi's article just made me want to puke:

"Players were unhappy with Bylsma's numerous meetings and long practices and the decreasing sense of fun within the Penguins' daily environment... Crosby and Malkin also grew disenchanted with perceived harsh criticism they received from Bylsma during meetings"

WTF??? You are making millions of dollars playing a sport instead of punching a freaking time clock like the other 99.9% of the population.

Sounds like this is entirely on Mario.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MKRA on Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 pm

I disagree that most of Lunquist's saves were easy.

Despite that NY spent a great deal of that game protecting the net and their 1 goal lead, I thought the Pens worked hard and, as a result, generated some good scoring chances. Many shots from the outside, yes. Frankly, when they pack it in on defense in front of their net the way NY did, your going to have to take some shots from the point and have your forwards fight to get into those areas in front of the net and get a piece of the puck on the way to the net. To their credit, the Pens did that. Many of those saves were real good saves - not necessarily flashy, but real good saves. y

Lunquist was definitely the difference last night, in part because NY was satisfied to try to protect rather than attack.

This is why I had a pit in my stomach after game 5. I felt that as this series extended, he'd become more of a factor and he was.
MKRA
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_srq on Wed May 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Madden mentioned the crazy rumor that Pens looking to buy Babcock out of last year of his contract.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed May 14, 2014 3:15 pm

pens_CT wrote:
BuckintheLou wrote:
topshelf66 wrote:Sid wants and new coach and he quit. Great player, has never been a good captain.

Shero and Bylsma should be gone before the end of the week.

Send Scuds to AHL / Islanders.

Back when Shero was the smartest man in hockey, he let guys like Scuedri walk because he didnt want to offer more than a 2 year deal to older players. He suddenly became Ellwood Blues as in "we're putting the band back together" and signed Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis, Adams to deals that will hurt the organization going forward.

Shero and Bylsma turned this team into the Washington Capitals. And Sid is cast perfectly as 8.

Fix it.

:thumb: Especially this: Back when Shero was the smartest man in hockey, he let guys like Scuedri walk because he didnt want to offer more than a 2 year deal to older players. He suddenly became Ellwood Blues as in "we're putting the band back together" and signed Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis, Adams to deals that will hurt the organization going forward.
I was on the "re-sign Duper" bandwagon but I didn't think GMRS would give him the farm!

I wouldn't call 3.75 mil/yr for Duper giving away the farm. The contract was probably 1 year too long, but if they were going to replace him with a free agent it would have cost a lot more than 3.75. See David Clarkson at 5 mil/yr, now there is a high ROI. :scared:

Four years to a 34/35 yr old forward! I love me some Duper but I'm almost certain Shero had to have bumped his head that morning.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 pm

I understand people are mad at shero but have no idea why people want to fire him after this year when you really sit back and look at things. last year shero was widely considered the best GM in the league. i guess he is horrible now? he's made great trades. scuderi was widely considered a great signing by the majority and in the press. the pens had no cap room this offseason, in hidsight much could have been done differently no doubt. getting rid of shero 6 weeks before the draft and wanting to make a ton of changes/trades/ufa signings in this offseason - expecting a new GM to do this and be successful, i'll stick with shero.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed May 14, 2014 3:19 pm

knives of ice wrote:I understand people are mad at shero but have no idea why people want to fire him after this year when you really sit back and look at things.

Just to be fair, I asked for his firing after the end of last season when he decided to re-up DB. I don't like being lumped in with those who just realized how terrible he is.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 14, 2014 3:23 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
knives of ice wrote:I understand people are mad at shero but have no idea why people want to fire him after this year when you really sit back and look at things.

Just to be fair, I asked for his firing after the end of last season when he decided to re-up DB. I don't like being lumped in with those who just realized how terrible he is.

i agree that this was by far his biggest mistake keeping DB but i understand how shero would keep him as well.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 3:28 pm

How many Cups do we win if we get Babcock?

17? 400? 98,242?!?!
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 3:40 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:How many Cups do we win if we get Babcock?

17? 400? 98,242?!?!

A lot of things need to go right to win a cup, but it takes only one thing to go wrong to derail a team. It's how this team has been losing in the playoffs that is the problem.

I think almost everyone here can accept the fact only one team wins the Cup and it's not always going to be this one. They also accept being beat by better teams as long as this team played it's best. Except maybe in 2011 when we had a ton of injuries did that happen but aside from the Boston series last year we should have won but screwed up. Last year I'll accept Boston was the better team but I'd like to see some level of effort that was completely lacking.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 14, 2014 3:41 pm

pens_srq wrote:Madden mentioned the crazy rumor that Pens looking to buy Babcock out of last year of his contract.

I'd donate to that fund.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 4:13 pm

Imagine if the Rangers never trade for Nash and add Dubinsky and Anisimov to their team now?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Wed May 14, 2014 4:28 pm

I think Rossi was wrong to phrase that article the way he did, making it sound like the practice is supposed to be fun. The game is supposed to be fun, being part of the team is supposed to be fun, and I'd bet a million dollars whoever the quote came from meant to refer to the atmosphere in the locker room. The only time it looked like they were having fun was when 3/4 of the roster was call-ups from WBS.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 14, 2014 5:05 pm

PAPLine wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
DelPen wrote:San Jose East indeed.

At least the Pens have one the Cup in the last 5 years and never gave up a 3-ZERO series lead.

Believe it or not, I think there are still depths to be plumbed to get to SJS level.

With current team that is correct. But I was seated in lower D25 in the Igloo on April 26,1975 and witnessed game 7 of a 0-3 comeback by the opposition.

And I was in D24, the night Eddie Westfall broke our hearts.

And we were good that year.
Humperdink
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 5:40 pm

marek wrote:This quote from Rossi's article just made me want to puke:

"Players were unhappy with Bylsma's numerous meetings and long practices and the decreasing sense of fun within the Penguins' daily environment... Crosby and Malkin also grew disenchanted with perceived harsh criticism they received from Bylsma during meetings"

WTF??? You are making millions of dollars playing a sport instead of punching a freaking time clock like the other 99.9% of the population.

Sounds like this is entirely on Mario.

Wait that's what you got our of that?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RJW76 on Wed May 14, 2014 5:55 pm

The 28 Stages of Fan Grief
DJ Gallo May 14th, 2014

1. Breaking things.

2. Saying that everyone should be FIRED and TRADED!

3. Saying that you knew this team SUCKED all along!

4. Posting things on social media about how everyone should be FIRED and TRADED and that you knew they SUCKED all along and that you’re sick of this CRAP!

5. Calming down a little and realizing it’s not realistic for everyone to be FIRED and TRADED. But saying that the coaching staff definitely has to go and at least 10 of the players.

6. Just sitting there and blankly staring for a minute or two.

7. Briefly wondering how you let a sports team composed of people you’ve never met playing a completely meaningless game dictate your emotions. Then getting so PISSED OFF again.

8. Saying that they just didn’t want it enough.

9. Saying that you’re done with this team until CHANGES ARE MADE.

10. Knowing deep inside that you’ll still watch the first game next season no matter what happens between then and now.

11. Posting something on social media again about how the coach SUCKS.

12. Texting back your friend who texted you to make fun of your team losing to go #### HIMSELF and that his team SUCKS even worse.

13. Watching some TV to get your mind off it, but not really watching. Just kind of staring at whatever is on the screen.

14. Flipping through the channels and seeing the start of a highlights package of your team losing.

15. Quickly shutting off the TV and muttering curse words on your way to bed.

16. Taking your team jersey/t-shirt off and hurling it into the dirty clothes pile

17. Going to sleep.

18. Waking up and instantly remembering your team SUCKS.

19. Checking your phone to see if the coach has been fired yet.

20. Posting on social media that you can’t believe the coach hasn’t been fired yet.

21. Texting a friend a trade idea that you think could work but would never be agreed to by another team in a million years.

22. Avoiding all national media coverage about your team getting eliminated. They hated your team from the start anyway, so screw them.

23. Eating breakfast and realizing you’re going to deal with people at school/work who will make fun of you for your team losing.

24. Reminding yourself to tell them that their teams suck, too.

25. Looking online at all the free agents available this offseason.

26. Thinking up more trade ideas.

27. Getting kind of excited for what the team could look like next year.

28. Putting some team apparel on because you’re not one of those fairweather fans and you know brighter days are ahead.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 6:15 pm

I love D. J. Gallo.

His wit and perspective are up my alley.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Gallo had a great tweet Monday

"I'm not sure the Rangers realize what they're in for in Game 7. 18,000 quiet fans expecting the worst.

YOU THINK YOU CAN HANDLE THIS?!?!"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 6:22 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Gallo had a great tweet Monday

"I'm not sure the Rangers realize what they're in for in Game 7. 18,000 quiet fans expecting the worst.

YOU THINK YOU CAN HANDLE THIS?!?!"

I loved his Boston SUCH SUFFERING!!! tweets.

Come live with (near?) me, D. J. Gallo. I'm in SE PA, where there is a vast sea of good material for you!
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:I love D. J. Gallo.

And to say I knew him when he was just a young pup. He pretty much nailed every Pittsburgh emotion in that 28-item list. I just went for #12 because I had 'team that shall not be named' fans giving me crap last nite. My response was that they should beat us by at least 8 strokes because they've had at least 2 weeks of practice.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I love D. J. Gallo.

And to say I knew him when he was just a young pup. He pretty much nailed every Pittsburgh emotion in that 28-item list. I just went for #12 because I had 'team that shall not be named' fans giving me crap last nite. My response was that they should beat us by at least 8 strokes because they've had at least 2 weeks of practice.

#18 and #23 for me. :lol: Oh, and all #22 all the time.

I've been answering #23 with: "I've seen worse." They infer a "meh" and that's what subdues them. But despite the 100% truth in the statement, I'm actually heartbroken.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed May 14, 2014 10:27 pm

So lets just go ahead and assume some rapture occurs and we do get Babcock.....

Just try to imagine LGP the night of our very first series defeat.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 15, 2014 6:55 am

sil wrote:So lets just go ahead and assume some rapture occurs and we do get Babcock.....

Just try to imagine LGP the night of our very first series defeat.

Odds are always in favor of losing a series more than winning the whole thing. The losing isn't (can't speak for everyone) the issue.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins