'14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby penny lane on Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 am

They lost this friday evening ! The team that couldn't work hard enough to close out a series . They have problems in their room which goes to the ice behavior. There are some core players who will leave and shockingly I want some of the so called fringe players to stay.

Epic failure when you are 3 to 1 up in a series.

“Obviously, I would like to score more and contribute more, but it wasn’t a lack of effort or competing or anything like that,” Crosby said. “I’d love to tear it up every series, but that’s not always the case.

“It doesn’t make it any easier, I’ll tell you that. It’s tough losing as it is, but, when you’re not able to contribute as much as you’d like, it’s even tougher.”

I do not recognize Sidney Crosby in this quote. I don't know what has happened, but that is not the hate to lose more than breathe Sid I've known.

Sutter, Jussi, Gibbons, played beyond expectations. Gene, he left it out on the ice.

Who gives a crap about the fans, they should feel shame when they look at each other today.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... z31hBNZfse
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PAPLine on Wed May 14, 2014 9:38 am

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
PAPLine wrote: Glass was back, but I'm not sure why.

To play 6:09 and have an impact on the game with his physicality....

If he had any impact on the game with his physicality or anything else, I missed it. He was pretty much invisible.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed May 14, 2014 9:41 am

The second I saw that Disco had benched Bennett, a guy with the potential to set up goal opportunities and maybe even score with a lead head like Glass, I turned to my son and said, I can't cheer for a team whose coach is this stupid.

Still, I did cheer since I want my team to win but ultimately you could feel destiny and what needed to happen.

We just simply did not have enough scorers to throw at the Rags and when Crosby lost his touch, it just sealed our fate.

Like was said before, I cannot work up a hatred against the Rangers. They play a pretty disciplined game. All of my hate is directed at Shero who stupidly re-signed and extended all of these clowns last year. Shero needs fired and quickly.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PAPLine on Wed May 14, 2014 9:44 am

Penspal wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I just want to say the crowd did a good job last night.

They were great to start, and there was even a solid Let's Go Pens chant when they were down 2-1 in the third.

The boos at the end of the game were not that audible on TV, so my take on reading about it from those present was that was overblown. No doubt there were large pockets of discontented fans, and they paid to do what they want.

I didn't hear that much in the way of Boo's from my seat in sect 231, but there were some. I left pretty quick after the game, so i don't know what happened during or after the handshake line.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cedar Penn on Wed May 14, 2014 9:44 am

I think, the Pens were doomed when Barry Melrose called the series for the Pens after Game #4. I said to myself, "Yep. Rangers in seven."
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 14, 2014 9:45 am

Penspal wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I just want to say the crowd did a good job last night.

They were great to start, and there was even a solid Let's Go Pens chant when they were down 2-1 in the third.

The boos at the end of the game were not that audible on TV, so my take on reading about it from those present was that was overblown. No doubt there were large pockets of discontented fans, and they paid to do what they want.

I was there, and you are right, there were boos, but I dont' think it was overwhelming or anything.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 14, 2014 9:55 am

Goalies often look elite when the best you throw at them are weak wrist shots from the outside, and then when those end up 3 feet in front of the net, nobody from the offensive side are within 15 feet. He gave up a ton of rebounds on fairly week shots, Wayne Simmonds would have had a field day last night and probably scored 3 goals. HL had a much better game 6 with the save on Goc and a few other odd man breaks.

Last night was a no sweat game for him, the ranger defense was on lock down, and there was no pp time to really make open any type of door.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 14, 2014 9:57 am

Henrik was tremendous, that vehemently is not up for debate.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed May 14, 2014 10:07 am

-Sid was not physically hurt, but he did appear simply shell shocked. He didn't want the puck on his stick. He didn't want to win last night. He wanted it to end.
-The accumulation of constantly going up against the match up that the other team's coach wanted could have been what finally sent Crosby over the edge regarding Bylsma. How much easier, throughout the entire season, could Disco have made it for 87 by simply taking the good match ups when possible and available? It had to wear on #87, knowing every time he stepped in for a face-off, he was going against the guy that the opposing coach viewed as the toughest match up and, most of the time, it was the toughest.
-Obvious lesson; physical play, size and toughness pay off. Shero surrounded the stars that he inherited with smurfs. Predictably, Crosby was brutalized as a result and the Pens are golfing early. Shero has to go.

-Almost unimaginable that here we are, for the fifth straight season, discussing an epic collapse that is eerily similar to the one that preceded it. Our long bylsmagic nightmare has finally ended, at least two years too late.

-Malkin, Neal and Jokinen did want to win. Those guys brought it every shift last night and were a threat every time they stepped on the ice. Neal wasn't great this series, but Pens don't need to be shedding wingers that can score and have a nasty streak. Neal will be one of the main beneficiaries of having a serious coach. Jussi was clutch and showed up for every game this spring. He may have priced himself out of town, but I would love to see him resigned, perhaps with a letter on his jersey. Malkin left it all out there. He seemingly played the entire third period and had the puck on his stick for much of it. #71 should have no issues looking himself in the mirror this morning and I would suspect that he won a lot of respect among his teammates and upper management with his display of resolve and will to win.

-Fleury was tremendous. Both goals came from, shocking I know, wide open shooters between the circles. MAF made many inspiring saves and proved he has overcome his demons. He should stay, an upgrade would be nearly impossible.

-Easy to blame Niskanen for the first goal, but how did the team manage to turn an offensive zone faceoff, 1st line v 4th, into a 4 on 2 against? Once again, as has been the case for so many pivotal goals against during these two rounds, the captain coasted Ovechkin-like on the back check. He allowed the opposing center to beat him down the ice and Moore made the pass to Boyle.

-In the end, DB's buddy buddy feel good take the day off approach failed as miserably as his stretch passes and bizarre stick on puck, leave the front of the net unprotected defensive zone tactics. The players lost respect for him. His teams were too often unprepared mentally, physically and tactically. The team will respond well to an intelligent tactician and strict task master. Letang and Neal will be among the most improved.

-Martin was decent but not special in this series. I'd explore the market for him and get something now, preferably a large, physical and snarly forward. Sid's Tocchet is required.

-Have DB and Ray been fired yet? Can't happen soon enough.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 am

Gaucho wrote:Henrik was tremendous, that vehemently is not up for debate.

Agreed, and his "style" is one to play deep in the net, unusual for sure, but effective, especially against the Pens.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed May 14, 2014 10:10 am

PAPLine wrote:
Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
PAPLine wrote: Glass was back, but I'm not sure why.

To play 6:09 and have an impact on the game with his physicality....

If he had any impact on the game with his physicality or anything else, I missed it. He was pretty much invisible.

The "..." was for sarcasm. Firstly, I don't agree with benching Bennett for Glass. Secondly, if you're going to bench one guy to play another, why bother if you're only going to play him 6 minutes?
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:11 am

Lundqvist said something very telling last night after the game.

To paraphrase, he said the Rangers game plan was always to get the lead, and wait for the Pens to basically mess up. The Rangers understood almost better than the Pens what the Pens would try to do to get back into the game. And were able to shut them down.

So AV read Disco like a book. Just like Julien, Boucher, etc...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf66 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:14 am

Sid wants and new coach and he quit. Great player, has never been a good captain.

Shero and Bylsma should be gone before the end of the week.

Shero and ownership believed too much that the NHL was going to become a leauge where skill and finess would win hockey games. This may be kind of true in the regular season, nothing has changed in the playoffs. The leauge simply is not going to call the obstruction and cheap shots in the playoffs. The Penguins kept signing players and implementing systems like the league was going to change. They also "doubled down" on this proposition from their soapbox after the Islanders debacle.

For the last 6:30 ot last nights game, this team crashed the net like a playoff team. This is 6:30 of the past three playoff seasons.

Say what you want about our D and goalie, this team scored a combined 5 goals in the last four playoff games in 2013 plus last three in 2014.

Perimiter teams do not cscore playoff goals. Perimiter teams do not draw playoff penalites. Perimiter teams do not wear down their opponents. If i had taken a drink every time Sid went to the net this playoff, i would have been really thirsty. If i had taken one everytime he attempted a corss ice / back to the blue line pass, I would be dead.

Nisky / Orpik are gone. Bring up the kids and for the love of god let them play. We place too much importance on the regular season, like being i higher playoff seed means anything.

Don't like Neal's character but we are so thin at forward, we must keep him.

Resign Fleury at the right price.

Send Scuds to AHL / Islanders.

Back when Shero was the smartest man in hockey, he let guys like Scuedri walk because he didnt want to offer more than a 2 year deal to older players. He suddenly became Ellwood Blues as in "we're putting the band back together" and signed Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis, Adams to deals that will hurt the organization going forward.

Shero and Bylsma turned this team into the Washington Capitals. And Sid is cast perfectly as 8.

Fix it.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 am

“Scoring one goal (in the third period) shouldn't have been out of the realm,” Niskanen said.

Matty Niskanen~ truth.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/610 ... z31hQRc9Ws
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_srq on Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am

Rossi was on NHLN and said Pens ownership upset with lack of accountability. Lack of players on roster to defend Sid, (or defend anyone for that matter). He seemed to suggest DB being gone is an obvious move but Shero could go too. He also floated out the crazy idea that the Pens are watching the situation with Mike Babcock in Detroit very closely. Apparently he has not yet signed an extension. (Lets hope this isn't yet another person using the Pens name to inflate their offers).
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed May 14, 2014 10:24 am

^ nephew sent me a text saying TO paper says "babcock crazy if he doesn't sign with Pittsburgh.
I replied, only Canada would you see that headline. crazier things have happened.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:25 am

pens_srq wrote:Rossi was on NHLN and said Pens ownership upset with lack of accountability. Lack of players on roster to defend Sid, (or defend anyone for that matter). He seemed to suggest DB being gone is an obvious move but Shero could go too. He also floated out the crazy idea that the Pens are watching the situation with Mike Babcock in Detroit very closely. Apparently he has not yet signed an extension. (Lets hope this isn't yet another person using the Pens name to inflate their offers).

Elliott Freidman tweeted that he's heard Babcock is very interested in the opportunity to coach in Pittsburgh.

What is the status of his contract? Is it currently up, or does he have 1 more year? Keeping DB as a lame duck coach in hopes of getting Babcock later wouldn't make much sense.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scpensfan on Wed May 14, 2014 10:32 am

And all it took was one Babcock rumor to get me excited about next year.

I'm so soff.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:35 am

Grinder.... I didnt read your post until after I did mine. You said it much better. Spot On.

Just imagine what would be siad in the local media, and on this board, if Malkin had won Olympic Gold in Sochi and turned in a performace like Sid's in this playoff.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed May 14, 2014 10:35 am

This notion that they 'wanted to lose' or that they 'quit on their coach' is foreign and mystifying to this guy. Y'all must have never played organized sports past the 'participation trophy' years. SMH

--There's a reason why Lundqvist has a $57 million contract. There's a reason why Sweden found their way into the gold medal game. He's elite and without that, the Rangers aren't much.

--That said, the better TEAM won the series but the better franchise did not. Games aren't won on paper but to think that the Rangers were better than the Pens coming in is crazy. Pat yourself on the back for not thinking they'd get this far or not being surprised that this is as far as they went. The only team in the East that I felt like they didn't match up well with was Boston. No reason why they couldn't have beaten anyone else.

--East is so much different than West. I watch the end of the Hawks-Wild last nite and I see a star score the GWG and I think, why can't we have our stars score clutch goals like that? And then it got me to thinking -- I don't remember anyone in the West going after the stars like they do in the East. Thus, they stay fresher and don't get as frustrated enough to force things. To me, it got to the point where Sid was so frustrated with not scoring that he starts forcing those cross-ice and blind passes.

--But then, he's been doing that all season and it's incredibly frustrating that the Pens have all that talent on a power play and they spend it passing the puck around rather than throwing it at the net.

--1-8 in home games to clinch a series and 0-3 in home game 7s. That's plenty of evidence for me to change coaches. But when the owner invented the Country Club, is it really possible to find a coach that is going to instill a little discipline without dumbing down the talent (i.e. Tortorella -- no, not hire him, an example of the previous sentence).

--Incredibly frustrating end, moreso because they were up 3-1. Was looking forward to the chance to avenge the Boston loss or take on those clowns from Montreal. Any of you who are 'relieved' that the season is over, we obviously have different mindsets.

--And one last thing -- Glass was in for Bennett? I was watching in a bar and really couldn't tell the lineups beyond the first 2 lines. That's a pretty laughable substitution.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 14, 2014 10:40 am

Gaucho wrote:Henrik was tremendous, that vehemently is not up for debate.

Henrik was not tested.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 10:43 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The second I saw that Disco had benched Bennett, a guy with the potential to set up goal opportunities and maybe even score with a lead head like Glass, I turned to my son and said, I can't cheer for a team whose coach is this stupid.

Still, I did cheer since I want my team to win but ultimately you could feel destiny and what needed to happen.

We just simply did not have enough scorers to throw at the Rags and when Crosby lost his touch, it just sealed our fate.

Like was said before, I cannot work up a hatred against the Rangers. They play a pretty disciplined game. All of my hate is directed at Shero who stupidly re-signed and extended all of these clowns last year. Shero needs fired and quickly.

Bennett also has the potential to have won the Powerball each week the last couple years... He hasn't been able to do either very much. Maybe in 3 years... but right now he is not an upgrade over anyone on yesterdays roster.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Durbano on Wed May 14, 2014 10:43 am

It's time to clean house: GM, coach, lots of players.

Losing to a lower seed every year isn't normal. They ways they've done it aren't acceptable.

Read this in a recap of last night's Chicago game: Since 2009, the first postseason appearance for Kane and Toews, Chicago is 14-0 in games 5 and 6 of series that were tied after game 4. They're also 12-2 in games with a chance to win a series, including 6-1 on the road.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Wed May 14, 2014 10:53 am

After 5 years of Blysma, I think the whole team needs to go see a sports psychologist this summer.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Wed May 14, 2014 10:53 am

-Bylsma needs to go ASAP. Say what you want about the players not producing but when this has happened 5 years in a row the coach has to go. To recap, in the last 5 years: 5 losses to lower seeds, one sweep, two blown 3-1 leads, a blown 3-2 lead, three (THREE!!!) blown Game 7's at home, one near-sweep to heated rivals that was a joke of a series and was the sloppiest "playoff" hockey ever played. Yikes. No coach should be kept after that. He never has his team prepared for big games, as was seen in the Olympics as well. Show him the door and never look back. Maybe he finds success somewhere else and makes us look stupid, and if he does whatever; this team is going nowhere if he stays around. There needs to be a HUGE mentality change, not just roster.

-Shero needs to go ASAP also. He has masked his inability to draft and develop talent or construct a well-rounded roster with his ungodly ability to pull of flashy trades at the deadline. Going all in on Kesler and having no backup plan was unacceptable. The bottom 6 is unacceptable. The talent at WBS is unacceptable. The defense is unacceptable. Keeping Bylsma around for this season when he really should have been gone last year and probably the year before, thus pissing away another two years of 87+71 in their prime and handicapping our rebuild and coaching search is unacceptable. I will miss the excitement of the deadline with Shero as GM but honestly I will not miss anything else.

-That said Fleury better stay. R1G4 aside, he proved the "Fleury can't handle the playoffs" thing is a myth as far as I'm concerned. There are better goalies out there but Fleury is a better option than anyone we can replace him with.

-I will not call Crosby the best player in the world until he proves me wrong. I'm sorry but the playoffs are a big part of being "the best" and he had more than enough time to "get it going" if he was just having a slump, and he didn't even come close. Honestly not even sure I'd call him a top 3 player after this. Is he the most talented? Sure. But 1 goal in 13 games (18 dating back to last year) is a joke. And it wasn't just that he was unlucky, he was RARELY a threat to score in this series. Malkin stepped it up and at least became a threat when he was on the ice and looked like he cared. Crosby never did. He is no better than Ovechkin, or Peyton Manning, or any of the other "regular season champions" in sports.

-This "rebuild" is going to suck. Bylsma and Shero have dug this team into a huge hole. I don't expect this team to be a legitimate contender for at least two years if the necessary changes are made.

-Scuderi's contract gives me nightmares. That is a SERIOUS problem for this team. Going to really get in the way of getting this team where it needs to be. Maybe he has a "Paul Martin"-esque resurgence next year. We can only hope, because if we see this Scuderi again we are in trouble.

-Jokinen should be priority number 1 this offseason (no, not Niskanen). For all the bad things I said Shero did this is one of the exceptions, what a steal. One of the few Penguins who looked like they cared the entire playoffs.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins