'14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby penny lane on Wed May 14, 2014 10:55 am

I would hate to see GM Shero leave. He built a team to like here, he has a hockey family of guys. Sadly, not the guys who are needed come play-off time. Fine - ever fine line from a comfortable - happy work environment to business run with sharp dividing lines from mgmt to the talent.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 10:55 am

I'm surprised by how many people who want to see Shero fired. He's hardly perfect, but I believe him to be a very smart hockey man.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pens_srq on Wed May 14, 2014 10:55 am

llipgh2 wrote:
pens_srq wrote:Rossi was on NHLN and said Pens ownership upset with lack of accountability. Lack of players on roster to defend Sid, (or defend anyone for that matter). He seemed to suggest DB being gone is an obvious move but Shero could go too. He also floated out the crazy idea that the Pens are watching the situation with Mike Babcock in Detroit very closely. Apparently he has not yet signed an extension. (Lets hope this isn't yet another person using the Pens name to inflate their offers).

Elliott Freidman tweeted that he's heard Babcock is very interested in the opportunity to coach in Pittsburgh.

What is the status of his contract? Is it currently up, or does he have 1 more year? Keeping DB as a lame duck coach in hopes of getting Babcock later wouldn't make much sense.

Very odd they'd be saying this. Babcock apparently does have another year on his contract. Unless Wings are thinking of dumping him.. Maybe Pens figure they play a year under Martin, then take a shot at Babcock. Who knows? if Shero is gone all bets are off until he is replaced.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 10:57 am

Best case scenario: Detroit lets him out of his contract.

Mind you, there's probably 0.5% chance of that happening.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 10:57 am

Still so disgusted and disappointed in the Pens for sure and even in a handful of fans.

I'd actually like to keep the core (including Letang and Fleury) together and see what they can do under a different system. I think we need calculated surgical/tactical changes (not necessarily saying minor), not a full-scale demolition just for the temporary satisfaction of watching it all burn and dancing around it.

Next year Sid will be 27, Geno 28. Neal's still got upside; he'll only be 27. The window is still open. Reinforce the frame. Let in some fresh air, and get at it next year.

Those pulling for Orpik to be done for good should examine themselves. I'm seeing and hearing such awful stuff everywhere. That guy may have not played well for the past couple years, but he's dedicated his entire professional career to the Penguins organization. He's aged his body 30 years in a Pens sweater. Show some damn respect for that, at least.

Go Montreal and Anaheim.

Nothing's going to happen until at least after locker clean-out/exit discussions, so everyone be patient. I think it's a mistake to fire both RS and DB at the same time. See what RS does with the cap increase.

Too bad Laviolette is off the market. I'd be stunned if Babcock could get out of his contract. He's got his faults and stubbornness, too, don't forget. They all do.

I don't know DB, but he seems like a good guy. Being so young, he's had a charmed career; he'll be OK. He's a good coach for young guys, and he did amazing things with decimated and lower-talent teams. I can see him in Vancouver. I agree he needs to move on, but I was pulling for him. I don't root for people on my teams to fail and lose their jobs.

I just wanted to make the ECF. But I did think they were going to win the whole thing, and games 2-4 of this series told me that they could do it. I knew they had that in them--just like I knew they had games 5 and 6 in them.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 14, 2014 10:58 am

columbia wrote:I'm surprised by how many people who want to see Shero fired. He's hardly perfect, but I believe him to be a very smart hockey man.

Maybe on hockey talent, but he did extend Bylsma.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 10:58 am

columbia wrote:I'm surprised by how many people who want to see Shero fired. He's hardly perfect, but I believe him to be a very smart hockey man.

He stood behind Byslma and gave him an extension on top if it after last year, his hockey smarts should be questioned.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 am

May sound strange to say, but Dan needs a team without superstars. He did his best coaching by far when the Pens did not have their all-stars playing.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 am

scpensfan wrote:And all it took was one Babcock rumor to get me excited about next year.

I'm so soff.

I don't have too many many crushes. He is one.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 am

Maybe until this year (if even) his star players were saying that they liked playing for DB and he just wanted to keep his stars happy? We all know what a pouting superstar is like...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 am

DelPen wrote:

He stood behind Byslma and gave him an extension on top if it after last year, his hockey smarts should be questioned.

Even quality managers are capable of misplacing their faith in duds.....it happens.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Wed May 14, 2014 11:18 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The second I saw that Disco had benched Bennett, a guy with the potential to set up goal opportunities and maybe even score with a lead head like Glass, I turned to my son and said, I can't cheer for a team whose coach is this stupid.

I mentioned this in the GDT and was informed that the chance that BB might take a penalty again more than offset the diminishing returns that Glass brings. Oohhh-kay.

Kind of surprised at the Neal hate. I mean, Neal has always been most productive with Malkin. Malkin got yanked to prop up Sid, which never works anyway. No surprise Neal disappeared. You'd think a coach would maximize his assets by pairing known successful quantities together to get the most from their potential. (Stemp w/Sid, Neal w/Malkin, Scuds w/Engelland eating nachos, etc)
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed May 14, 2014 11:22 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:-This "rebuild" is going to suck. Bylsma and Shero have dug this team into a huge hole. I don't expect this team to be a legitimate contender for at least two years if the necessary changes are made.

-Scuderi's contract gives me nightmares. That is a SERIOUS problem for this team. Going to really get in the way of getting this team where it needs to be. Maybe he has a "Paul Martin"-esque resurgence next year. We can only hope, because if we see this Scuderi again we are in trouble.

-Jokinen should be priority number 1 this offseason (no, not Niskanen). For all the bad things I said Shero did this is one of the exceptions, what a steal. One of the few Penguins who looked like they cared the entire playoffs.

Strongly agree with most of your post Phantom. But I don't think the rebuild has to be all that arduous. They can be a playoff team next season. The most difficult pieces to acquire, the ones Shero had been given, are already in place and there are a lot of expiring contracts, which provide flexibility.

Jokinen should be resigned, but not for more than $3.5 million. 3 years, $10 million would be reasonable but he could surely get more elsewhere. I think he would take a discount to play with 71 and 87 and Maatta, but who knows. He is not a perfect player, but if they are going to go young, he would be a good vet to have around. He plays the right way and plays better when its most important.

The max I would go for Niskanen would $5m per, but that would absolutely require moving Scuderi and Martin. A Paul Martin trade should be explored now while his value is high. Go young and at the same time add size, skill and skating to the d corps. Shift $$$ from D to acquire muscle for bottom 6.
Despres/Letang
Maatta/Niskanen
Harrington or Pouliot or Samuelsson/Bortuzzo
Engelland - should be resigned, the last thing they need is to lose a tough guy that can actually play a regular shift.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Wed May 14, 2014 11:26 am

His drafts have provided virtually ZERO impact players on the Penguins' current roster, and Sid's linemates last night were Stempniak, Gibbons, and Kunitz. They are done playing for a reason.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Wed May 14, 2014 11:28 am

If you are telling me that Crosby quit on his coach and therefor his team in the playoffs, then I don't even know how to respond to that. A player/team quitting on a coach during the regular season is one thing, even though I can imagine it, but in the playoffs would be unacceptable and I find hard to believe.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Wed May 14, 2014 11:28 am

dodint wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The second I saw that Disco had benched Bennett, a guy with the potential to set up goal opportunities and maybe even score with a lead head like Glass, I turned to my son and said, I can't cheer for a team whose coach is this stupid.

I mentioned this in the GDT and was informed that the chance that BB might take a penalty again more than offset the diminishing returns that Glass brings. Oohhh-kay.

Kind of surprised at the Neal hate. I mean, Neal has always been most productive with Malkin. Malkin got yanked to prop up Sid, which never works anyway. No surprise Neal disappeared. You'd think a coach would maximize his assets by pairing known successful quantities together to get the most from their potential. (Stemp w/Sid, Neal w/Malkin, Scuds w/Engelland eating nachos, etc)

I agree that Neal was compromised by the need for Geno to babysit Sid, but his horrible penalties and perimeter play are what concern me so much.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 14, 2014 11:37 am

I still can't, for the life of me, figure out why, when we weren't scoring or generating much offense, we sat Bennett and put in Glass. It's really just like the Chewbacca defense.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 am

Yeah, Neal isn't perfect. And I'm not sure I want a guy on the team that needs another player to perform. Throw in the questionable hits and it gets worse. I just don't have my pitchfork ready for him yet, because other than the cheap shots I can say the same about Kunitz.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Wed May 14, 2014 11:41 am

Neal can be frustrating, but he's more than workable for a second line scoring winger. A coach that kicks him in the butt once in a while might be just what the doctor ordered.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Wed May 14, 2014 11:48 am

Everyone thought the Penguins played well. Did they play poorly? No, but they didn't play with a sense of urgency.

I'm sure we all had the twinkly of hope after the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period when the Penguins turned up the jets. The big issue here is, why were those jets not turned up for the previous 50 minutes? That is why the Penguins lost that game.

Over the past two game, the shot totals are irrelevant. Anyone who really watched those two games saw that the "scoring chances" and "shots" by the Penguins were weak. They had very few quality shots and scoring chances. The last ten minutes of Game 7 however, they got plenty of quality chances because I said earlier, they turned up the jets.

The Penguins allowed the Rangers to dictate the play. I'm probably one of the few who doesn't give Henry the credit for stealing those games because he didn't have to face a lot of pressure.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Wed May 14, 2014 11:50 am

sil wrote:Neal can be frustrating, but he's more than workable for a second line scoring winger. A coach that kicks him in the butt once in a while might be just what the doctor ordered.

I just think it's amusing that 6 months ago people were pitching him for the Olympics and now they want him gone for a 5th round pick. ;)
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 11:54 am

No one with any sense was pitching him for the Olympics.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am

The end of an era....but the start of another. This offseason will shape the next 5+ years.

Crosby and Malkin are still in their prime, so I cannot stress this enough: in order to maintain a win now philosophy but still make a sea change in the roster and management is to hire a coach who will implement the trap.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 am

columbia wrote:No one with any sense was pitching him for the Olympics.

Right, but is anyone with any sense chucking him off the team? :P
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby luv66 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:58 am

Humperdink wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Henrik was tremendous, that vehemently is not up for debate.

Henrik was not tested.

I thought he was overhyped through all of this series but he was tested in the third in game 7 and looked great. Prior to that I thought he just looked OK to good and as you said , not really tested.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins