'14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '14 Playoffs Game 7 vs NYR - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:00 pm

I just can't wait for this realty tv feel to be gone from this team. Bringing in a coach that doesn't act like one of the players frat brothers, wont be as fun to watch, and that'll slow down things like In The Room, etc. and hopefully this team quits being marketed solely for teenagers. Not saying at all this is why the Pens haven't been winning, but I could definitely stand a lot less cameras on these guys 24/7 and them treated more like a hockey team and not a kids show.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 pm

penny lane wrote:I would hate to see GM Shero leave. He built a team to like here, he has a hockey family of guys. Sadly, not the guys who are needed come play-off time. Fine - ever fine line from a comfortable - happy work environment to business run with sharp dividing lines from mgmt to the talent.

:thumb:
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Wed May 14, 2014 12:14 pm

columbia wrote:I'm surprised by how many people who want to see Shero fired. He's hardly perfect, but I believe him to be a very smart hockey man.

:thumb: I think he's done more good than bad. Worst mistake was not canning Bylsma after 2012 or 2013 playoffs
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 14, 2014 12:24 pm

I don't think there's any better assessor of NHL talent/trader then GMRS, but his drafts have been pretty mediocre. I'd be very reluctant to cut him, unless management feels that now is Jason Botterill's time.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Avyran on Wed May 14, 2014 12:25 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
pens_srq wrote:Rossi was on NHLN and said Pens ownership upset with lack of accountability. Lack of players on roster to defend Sid, (or defend anyone for that matter). He seemed to suggest DB being gone is an obvious move but Shero could go too. He also floated out the crazy idea that the Pens are watching the situation with Mike Babcock in Detroit very closely. Apparently he has not yet signed an extension. (Lets hope this isn't yet another person using the Pens name to inflate their offers).

Elliott Freidman tweeted that he's heard Babcock is very interested in the opportunity to coach in Pittsburgh.

What is the status of his contract? Is it currently up, or does he have 1 more year? Keeping DB as a lame duck coach in hopes of getting Babcock later wouldn't make much sense.

Can someone link to me the tweet by Friedman about this? I can't find it after trying to search for it myself. And this rumor is a great positive in an otherwise negative time for the Pens, so I want to see the proof myself, haha.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Wed May 14, 2014 12:33 pm

Avyran wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
pens_srq wrote:Rossi was on NHLN and said Pens ownership upset with lack of accountability. Lack of players on roster to defend Sid, (or defend anyone for that matter). He seemed to suggest DB being gone is an obvious move but Shero could go too. He also floated out the crazy idea that the Pens are watching the situation with Mike Babcock in Detroit very closely. Apparently he has not yet signed an extension. (Lets hope this isn't yet another person using the Pens name to inflate their offers).

Elliott Freidman tweeted that he's heard Babcock is very interested in the opportunity to coach in Pittsburgh.

What is the status of his contract? Is it currently up, or does he have 1 more year? Keeping DB as a lame duck coach in hopes of getting Babcock later wouldn't make much sense.

Can someone link to me the tweet by Friedman about this? I can't find it after trying to search for it myself. And this rumor is a great positive in an otherwise negative time for the Pens, so I want to see the proof myself, haha.

Josh Yohe said the same thing on Trib Live Radio this morning.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed May 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Geezer wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm surprised by how many people who want to see Shero fired. He's hardly perfect, but I believe him to be a very smart hockey man.

:thumb: I think he's done more good than bad. Worst mistake was not canning Bylsma after 2012 or 2013 playoffs

Shero landed on third base and struts around as though he built Rome. He looks good from afar because he does pull off the flashy trades and has been largely successful in that regard. But he was given the core pieces and, when you really look at and think about, how much more than that do they have right now??

He has largely avoided long term disasters, with the exception of Scuderi. But Shero had a dreadful summer last off-season. Resigning Bylsma for two years, Adams for two, Scuderi for four and giving Matt D'Agostini a guaranteed deal. He kept Dustin Jeffery and signed Kobasew. 5 completely useless players on the opening night roster and he never recovered during the season.
All while failing to add size, muscle, grit and physicality, or anything, to the bottom six forwards. :face: :evil:

He failed again at the deadline, in a buyer's market. :thumbdown:

They are not really handcuffed moving forward and they do have blue line prospects that are close, if not ready. But Shero needs to go, his fingerprints are all over the last 5 seasons of failure.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 12:38 pm

columbia wrote:
DelPen wrote:

He stood behind Byslma and gave him an extension on top if it after last year, his hockey smarts should be questioned.

Even quality managers are capable of misplacing their faith in duds.....it happens.

Yes, I've seen this more than once. Sometimes your faith and patience pays off and it's worth it. Sometimes, no.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Tico Rick wrote:I don't think there's any better assessor of NHL talent/trader then GMRS, but his drafts have been pretty mediocre. I'd be very reluctant to cut him, unless management feels that now is Jason Botterill's time.

Better assessor of talent? Do we really need to go through the laundry list of awful waiver pick-ups/signings throughout the years? For forwards alone:

Zach Boychuck
Chuck Kobasew
Taylor Pyatt
Tanner Glass
Richard Park
Matt D'Agostini
Janne Pesonen
Cal O'Reilly
Mike Comrie
Chris Bourque

Not only did all those players suck, almost all of them were brought in because of Shero's inability to draft and develop solid talent in the forward position.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:I don't think there's any better assessor of NHL talent/trader then GMRS, but his drafts have been pretty mediocre. I'd be very reluctant to cut him, unless management feels that now is Jason Botterill's time.

Better assessor of talent? Do we really need to go through the laundry list of awful waiver pick-ups/signings throughout the years? For forwards alone:

Zach Boychuck
Chuck Kobasew
Taylor Pyatt
Tanner Glass
Richard Park
Matt D'Agostini
Janne Pesonen
Cal O'Reilly
Mike Comrie
Chris Bourque

Not only did all those players suck, almost all of them were brought in because of Shero's inability to draft and develop solid talent in the forward position.

One of his first moves too was to not sign Matt Moulson to an entry level deal. Add Jake Muzzin too for players we had that we never signed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby maopens on Wed May 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Makes no sense to me. I've watched hockey and the Pens most of my life and I am as lost as this team.

This team's roster is good enough to rack up 100+ points almost every year in the regular season. Good enough to regularly maintain home ice advantage in the playoffs. Good enough to score throughout the regular season.

Yet, year after year, we see the same script play out from the same group of players and coaches who won all season long. Suddenly, come playoff time these guys play and behave in ways they didn't all season, or they exaggerate their poor behavior to another level of crap.

I get the difference of "playoff hockey" but so should they. These guys should know what is coming at them year after year and be collectively smart enough to prepare for it. I just don't get how any team could so predictably follow the same script of epic collapse year after year. I don't know Dan Bylsma, I wanted him to succeed just like the rest of you, and he was good enough to win an awful lot of games at a young age. So how can he not get this team productive in the playoffs after having them perform so relatively well all season? Likewise, how can our players not stop themselves from coming unglued or shutting down in the playoffs?

I watch the Pens with far more dedication than I should and I am left with the feeling that these epic failures are not the fault of any one or two people. This is some type of cultural sickness within this organization. I'm not smart enough to know what needs to change but I think I am smart enough to see that change is necessary to break the spin cycle the Pens are stuck in.

I hope that ownership is in tune with the cause and is finally ready to attempt a cure. Otherwise, I suspect we will all be recycling these posts again next year ... just as we have for the past 5 years.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 1:05 pm

San Jose East indeed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens9192 on Wed May 14, 2014 1:05 pm

I can't say I am surprised. I'm not angry anymore like the last few years. Just a big fat disappointed. When the clock hit 00.0 I turned off my TV, muttered "Unreal" ,and shook my head. What else can you do? It was almost like this was expected. The past five years have been wasted. No additional Cups, no developed forwards, a lot of bad contracts, and Crosby-Malkin are five years older.

I wanted them to win and hoped they would, but I knew they had no chance in the third period. Especially how Henrik was playing. Kudos to him as he was the series MVP. The Rangers didn't give up and die after Game 4. I don't think they have a chance against Montreal or Boston, esp Boston. They will probably shutdown the Pouliot -Brassard - Zuccarello dream line. If Shero does stay, can he please acquire Dominic Moore? That dude is 3-0 in Game 7 against the Pens.

The camera showed DB on the bench about six minutes into the game and he looked mega-stressed and let out a big sigh like he was trying to calm down. I had an inkling there the Pens not make out of this game.

MAF played decent along with Malkin. I don't really remember much else. Doesn't even matter at this point. I hope Sid fixes whatever wronged him this year over the summer. The team can't handle that same performance from him again. Neither will the new coach. I heard a soundbite from him from before the Game and said he didn't need to stand up and say something to the team and they knew what was at stake. Apparently not as that lost last night will set off a chain reaction of events that will change this team. Maybe he said something and showed some personal leadership something might have been different last night. Or not. The organization as a whole needs looked at it too. System wide failure since 2010.

The Pens have problems and they have many.

Good night and good luck.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 1:06 pm

DelPen wrote:One of his first moves too was to not sign Matt Moulson to an entry level deal. Add Jake Muzzin too for players we had that we never signed.

To be fair, Moulson did not impress LA in his 3 years there either. He then signed a one year, near minimum contract with the Islanders, so apparently no one else was real high on him yet either.... 4 years after we "passed" on him. Even after that first "big" year with the Islanders, they were still not sure of him and only gave him a one year deal. Only after that did the give him the current deal.

Muzzin signed a three year deal with LA, and then took a pay cut to near minimum for year 4, before signing a 2 year $1M per this past summer... not exactly star expectations.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 1:17 pm

DelPen wrote:San Jose East indeed.

At least the Pens have one the Cup in the last 5 years and never gave up a 3-ZERO series lead.

Believe it or not, I think there are still depths to be plumbed to get to SJS level.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Grunthy on Wed May 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:

At least the Pens have one the Cup in the last 5 years and never gave up a 3-ZERO series lead.

Believe it or not, I think there's still depths to be plumbed to get to SJS level.

umm... yes we have... :pop:
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed May 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Jim wrote:
DelPen wrote:One of his first moves too was to not sign Matt Moulson to an entry level deal. Add Jake Muzzin too for players we had that we never signed.

To be fair, Moulson did not impress LA in his 3 years there either. He then signed a one year, near minimum contract with the Islanders, so apparently no one else was real high on him yet either.... 4 years after we "passed" on him. Even after that first "big" year with the Islanders, they were still not sure of him and only gave him a one year deal. Only after that did the give him the current deal.

Muzzin signed a three year deal with LA, and then took a pay cut to near minimum for year 4, before signing a 2 year $1M per this past summer... not exactly star expectations.

Yeah, those were more a product of management turnover anyways. I don't have a big problem with either of those particular moves in context.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:

Believe it or not, I think there are still depths to be plumbed to get to SJS level.

With current team that is correct. But I was seated in lower D25 in the Igloo on April 26,1975 and witnessed game 7 of a 0-3 comeback by the opposition.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

With current team that is correct. But I was seated in lower D25 in the Igloo on April 26,1975 and witnessed game 7 of a 0-3 comeback by the opposition.

Oh, how awful, Humperdink. :cry:

But yes, I meant current team.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Wed May 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Humperdink wrote:Lundquist was good, but not great. Needed to pound him with shots and he would have been more human.

Yeah 36 SOG is just putrid.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 1:52 pm

André wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Lundquist was good, but not great. Needed to pound him with shots and he would have been more human.

Yeah 36 SOG is just putrid.

He had very few difficult saves. Swap goalies and I think the Rags still probably win the series because this team had no idea how to play consistant winning hockey.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby rgj on Wed May 14, 2014 1:54 pm

luv66 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Henrik was tremendous, that vehemently is not up for debate.

Henrik was not tested.

I thought he was overhyped through all of this series but he was tested in the third in game 7 and looked great. Prior to that I thought he just looked OK to good and as you said , not really tested.

Henrik the 7th was the hero of the series for NY....after all, he single-handedly inspired the Rangers by playing after Sane Loooey's mother died and squirting Crosby with water.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PAPLine on Wed May 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

And I was in D24, the night Eddie Westfall broke our hearts.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Wed May 14, 2014 2:34 pm

Here's how I feel about Shero. He's made so many remarkable moves, from waiver pickups to trades, and so many have failed to work because Dan Bylsma simply did not know how to make them work. They should have worked, for all intensive purposes, but they never did. I can't fault Shero in that regard. As far as drafting goes, I'm actually okay with the lack of forwards because the wealth of defensemen can cover that. If he needed to, he could even out the farm to match promising forwards with the defensemen. It's a good plan considering defensemen are just more valuable in this league than forwards.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed May 14, 2014 2:34 pm

topshelf66 wrote:Sid wants and new coach and he quit. Great player, has never been a good captain.

Shero and Bylsma should be gone before the end of the week.

Shero and ownership believed too much that the NHL was going to become a leauge where skill and finess would win hockey games. This may be kind of true in the regular season, nothing has changed in the playoffs. The leauge simply is not going to call the obstruction and cheap shots in the playoffs. The Penguins kept signing players and implementing systems like the league was going to change. They also "doubled down" on this proposition from their soapbox after the Islanders debacle.

For the last 6:30 ot last nights game, this team crashed the net like a playoff team. This is 6:30 of the past three playoff seasons.

Say what you want about our D and goalie, this team scored a combined 5 goals in the last four playoff games in 2013 plus last three in 2014.

Perimiter teams do not cscore playoff goals. Perimiter teams do not draw playoff penalites. Perimiter teams do not wear down their opponents. If i had taken a drink every time Sid went to the net this playoff, i would have been really thirsty. If i had taken one everytime he attempted a corss ice / back to the blue line pass, I would be dead.

Nisky / Orpik are gone. Bring up the kids and for the love of god let them play. We place too much importance on the regular season, like being i higher playoff seed means anything.

Don't like Neal's character but we are so thin at forward, we must keep him.

Resign Fleury at the right price.

Send Scuds to AHL / Islanders.

Back when Shero was the smartest man in hockey, he let guys like Scuedri walk because he didnt want to offer more than a 2 year deal to older players. He suddenly became Ellwood Blues as in "we're putting the band back together" and signed Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis, Adams to deals that will hurt the organization going forward.

Shero and Bylsma turned this team into the Washington Capitals. And Sid is cast perfectly as 8.

Fix it.

:thumb: Especially this: Back when Shero was the smartest man in hockey, he let guys like Scuedri walk because he didnt want to offer more than a 2 year deal to older players. He suddenly became Ellwood Blues as in "we're putting the band back together" and signed Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis, Adams to deals that will hurt the organization going forward.
I was on the "re-sign Duper" bandwagon but I didn't think GMRS would give him the farm!
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins