Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Yes
43%
No
42%
Not sure
15%

Total votes : 86

Postby ivand87 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:10 pm

I know I would... The guy is a one-dimensional cheap shot artist who takes bad penalties and loses his cool at the worst time. More importantly though, he cannot make a play on his own to save his life. He needs someone to set him up for a one timer or an odd man rush or breakaway. Aside from that, he doesn't bring much. Also, his playoff numbers are horrible. Take out the last 2 games against Ottawa when he combined for 7 points last year and his numbers with the Pens in the playoffs are those of a 3rd line player at best, not a guy who plays with a world class center and on the PP.

I've seen enough of this guy How many times did he try a worthless little turnaround shot against the Rangers that was EASILY blocked? He must have had 90% of his shot attempts blocked in this series. He is so predictable.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:13 pm

I would, but you absolutely can't with the forwards we have (none) and I don't think Neal would bring back that great of a return.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Wed May 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Would I like to see him traded? I don't really care one way or another. I think he's expendable for the right deal.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 12:20 pm

ivand87 wrote:...who takes bad penalties and loses his cool at the worst time. More importantly though, he cannot make a play on his own to save his life.

Fits both Neal and Malkin...

Anyone and EVERYONE should be available for the right price.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DayWalker on Wed May 14, 2014 12:20 pm

I am on the fence. He has a very good skill set, but he is terribly undisciplined and unfocused far too often. However, what are we replacing him with? The Pens top-four wingers already suck for a self-styled Cup contender, and we all know Jussi Jokinen is going to be grossly overpaid to play elsewhere next season.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:20 pm

IS THIS A REAL QUESTION
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed May 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Definitely not. The team needs more surly wingers that can score.

Neal needs to do more. He needs to be a better hitter, in a clean way, and separate guys from pucks. I think he has made a conscious effort to cut out the really bad penalties, the retaliation silliness... His penalties in this series mostly came from hounding puck carriers and a few of them should have been non-calls. He should probably drop the gloves once in a while, would help him keep his head in other ways and maybe get him some space.

Neal will be a prime beneficiary from having a competent coach, hopefully a strict task master.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:Definitely not. The team needs more surly wingers that can score.

Neal needs to do more. He needs to be a better hitter, in a clean way, and separate guys from pucks. I think he has made a conscious effort to cut out the really bad penalties, the retaliation silliness... His penalties in this series mostly came from hounding puck carriers and a few of them should have been non-calls. He should probably drop the gloves once in a while, would help him keep his head in other ways and maybe get him some space.

Neal will be a prime beneficiary from having a competent coach, hopefully a strict task master.

I voted no, and I agree with this.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed May 14, 2014 12:26 pm

No. He's the best goal scoring winger they have, he's 26, on a team friendly deal, and they wouldn't get a player of equal value in return. They need more scorers in the top six, not less. Ohh boo hoo, he's so mean and blah blah blah. Good. This team makes roller hockey and women's hockey look physical. Does he take stupid penalties? You bet. That's what a competent coach is for. With proper coaching Neal can be molded into a smart, physical, goal scoring winger.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Not sure. He's a great shot but can also be a burden.

Honestly it depends on what we can get back for him.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 pm

I don't know about the "smart" part.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 pm

I voted for "not sure" because outside of Sid and Malkin, I would be open to anyone being traded if it meant an upgrade.

Am I trading James Neal for spare parts because he takes some dumb penalties? Absolutely not.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Nah im cool with #18.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DayWalker on Wed May 14, 2014 12:38 pm

I would like to see if a new coach can get him to play a better, more consistent game before he is sent packing. Plus, I doubt they would get an equal return for his potential, even if that ought not mean quite as much as actual production.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cedar Penn on Wed May 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Trade. Just disappear. Whatever....but, if we can get somebody for him, sure. Neal is a reckless, at times dirty player that seems to do more harm to the team than good. Kind of down the middle on this one, but I tilt towards trading him for the right player. Of course, perhaps if a new coach can disciple and/or control his @$$.....well.....I don't know. Not much of a clutch playoff producer, either.
Cedar Penn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Wed May 14, 2014 12:43 pm

A sometimes reckless dirty player who scores a lot is one of the things this team lacked this playoffs. They need Neal to be Neal consistently.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:43 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:No. He's the best goal scoring winger they have, he's 26, on a team friendly deal, and they wouldn't get a player of equal value in return. They need more scorers in the top six, not less. Ohh boo hoo, he's so mean and blah blah blah. Good. This team makes roller hockey and women's hockey look physical. Does he take stupid penalties? You bet. That's what a competent coach is for. With proper coaching Neal can be molded into a smart, physical, goal scoring winger.

He's young, he's on a team-friendly deal, and he's a pure sniper. Those are all reasons to keep him, I'll agree. But he takes dumb penalties, he's dirty and cheap, but not physical, and he disappears without having Malkin to dish him the puck. Those are all reason to deal him.

I heard a defense of Neal's lack of production on the radio yesterday and it was something like, "Take away a star center from any winger and his production will decline." Sounds logical, but Jokinen flourished this playoff year, and Sutter, who was the third player on the line, did as well. Why couldn't Neal adapt?

As for his overall play, he's invisible unless he has the puck on his stick. He's not overly physical, so he's not a beneficial player there -- despite the fact that he is a dirty player and takes dumb penalties.

In general, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back and seeing what a new coaching staff and system can do for him, but I'm also worried that a similar argument can and will be made for too many players and, while the coaching staff and style of play might change, the culture within the room will continue to exist. Some difficult decisions are ahead, and some might simply be cut bait type of situations.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Neal had 4 points and 24 PIM in the playoffs.

god that's so bad. Well, ok, he did get the 10 minute game misconduct, but stilll.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Jim wrote:
ivand87 wrote:...who takes bad penalties and loses his cool at the worst time. More importantly though, he cannot make a play on his own to save his life.

Can we trade you?
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I voted for "not sure" because outside of Sid and Malkin, I would be open to anyone being traded if it meant an upgrade.

Am I trading James Neal for spare parts because he takes some dumb penalties? Absolutely not.

With any trade, obviously the assumption is that we would want a fair return. Neal is a very good goal scoring winger, has size and is a difference maker - at least during the regular season. That hasn't translated into the playoffs, save for 2 games against Ottawa, for 4 straight years now. I would give him a mulligan for 2011 because obviously we didn't have Crosby or Malkin, but the last 3 years have been extremely disappointing. We've come to expect more from #18 and have not gotten that.

He is definitely a candidate to be traded if we can get a goal scoring winger in return that already has a contract that we can deal with. Will he be traded? Probably not. But like I said, I would like to see it happen.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Grunthy wrote:
Jim wrote:

Can we trade you?

Nope, iron-clad contract!!!

If you can't argue what I say... take shots at me... no worries.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ivand87 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Neal had 4 points and 24 PIM in the playoffs.

god that's so bad. Well, ok, he did get the 10 minute game misconduct, but stilll.

Let's face it, for a 13-game stretch, those are Matt Cooke numbers when Matt Cooke is not playing well...
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:No. He's the best goal scoring winger they have, he's 26, on a team friendly deal, and they wouldn't get a player of equal value in return. They need more scorers in the top six, not less. Ohh boo hoo, he's so mean and blah blah blah. Good. This team makes roller hockey and women's hockey look physical. Does he take stupid penalties? You bet. That's what a competent coach is for. With proper coaching Neal can be molded into a smart, physical, goal scoring winger.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 14, 2014 12:57 pm

his circuitry got messed up when they took him off the top PP. he went from every minute of his ice time giving him an opportunity to score to every minute playing with a non-playmaking center.

he wasn't good. but you can't replace him unless it's part of a larger plan.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 12:58 pm

ivand87 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Neal had 4 points and 24 PIM in the playoffs.

Let's face it, for a 13-game stretch, those are Matt Cooke numbers when Matt Cooke is not playing well...

Yeah but at least Cooke killed penalties (when he wasn't in the box himself). Neal was as useless as a poopyflavored lollipop.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins