Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Yes
43%
No
42%
Not sure
15%

Total votes : 86

Re: Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 1:00 pm

He's the only "real" top six player on the team that seems incapable of creating scoring opportunities by himself. Partially because he's not a very good skater and is questionable along the boards in the offensive zone. Plus he seems to have very little hockey sense.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby GDR on Wed May 14, 2014 1:02 pm

No, he's the one guy who stands to benefit the most from a coaching change that has to inject discipline, accountability, and structure into the organization. The dumb stuff he does can be rectified by those things, and he's still more than capable of scoring 30-40 goals a season on a friendly contract for those numbers. The playoff production has to pick up but almost the entire roster could say that.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I'd like to see him on Crosby's wing. I think he would produce more with Crosby since Crosby's better when he is being a playmaker. Neal also has that gritty/dirty element to his game so with the right type of coaching he could help protect Sid from the abuse he receives.

I don't think Geno needs to be protected as much and Geno is best when he is shooting and not deferring to other players.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Looking at Neal's comps he's being payed what someone who only leaches off of talent would get paid.

Would Ryan, Clowe, Clarkson, Lupul, Plekanec or Carter have done better?

Only guys one the list that I see doing better at that price is Bergeron and Krejci. Maybe Benn.

If you move him who do you bring in in return or then sign to replace 40-50 goals?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Well, he is a coke head and drugs are bad mmmmkay?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 14, 2014 1:32 pm

wanting to trade neal is so dumb.

he has a great contract and the penguins have salary cap problems. going to be very hard to bring back a similar player with his good contract.

neal had virtually no chance to succeed in these playoffs. his center was taken away and he was removed from the top power play. his chances to succeed given that were very small. he played almost the entire playoffs with a new center who has never set up a winger with a pass in his life.

neal took a few bad penalties no doubt. so did nearly every star on this team. the cheap shots - in my book with the way this league lets you get away with anything in the playoffs if anything we need more players like him. every other team is doing it. at least i wouldn't call james neal soft like most on this team.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Neal looked like garbage even with Malkin centering him.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 pm

You are obviously not going to get a 30 goal scorer in return for Neal. If you could package Neal and Sutter for Kesler and Kassian that would be a deal which would work for both sides. I'd rather have two wingers who are physical and strong along the wall who score 15 each goals each rather than Neal who could score 40+.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Wed May 14, 2014 1:55 pm

I dont like that when he carries into the zone it looks like hes stick handling with his elbows, or that hes dumb as a post, or that he plays over the line dirty, but he still produces better than the 2003 esqe bottom 6. Get some depth, and not at neal's expense.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Wed May 14, 2014 1:57 pm

pens_CT wrote:You are obviously not going to get a 30 goal scorer in return for Neal. If you could package Neal and Sutter for Kesler and Kassian that would be a deal which would work for both sides. I'd rather have two wingers who are physical and strong along the wall who score 15 each goals each rather than Neal who could score 40+.

So what does Vancouver get out of this then?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 14, 2014 2:13 pm

DelPen wrote:
pens_CT wrote:You are obviously not going to get a 30 goal scorer in return for Neal. If you could package Neal and Sutter for Kesler and Kassian that would be a deal which would work for both sides. I'd rather have two wingers who are physical and strong along the wall who score 15 each goals each rather than Neal who could score 40+.

So what does Vancouver get out of this then?

They someone to put the puck in the net. Neal can do that, at least during the regular season. Sutter is obviously the Kesler replacement. This assumes that Kesler really wants out of Vancouver.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Wed May 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:No. He's the best goal scoring winger they have, he's 26, on a team friendly deal, and they wouldn't get a player of equal value in return. They need more scorers in the top six, not less. Ohh boo hoo, he's so mean and blah blah blah. Good. This team makes roller hockey and women's hockey look physical. Does he take stupid penalties? You bet. That's what a competent coach is for. With proper coaching Neal can be molded into a smart, physical, goal scoring winger.

:thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Wed May 14, 2014 3:46 pm

GDR wrote:No, he's the one guy who stands to benefit the most from a coaching change that has to inject discipline, accountability, and structure into the organization. The dumb stuff he does can be rectified by those things, and he's still more than capable of scoring 30-40 goals a season on a friendly contract for those numbers. The playoff production has to pick up but almost the entire roster could say that.

I think his production might go down about without absolute freedom like he's got now, but, it would be better for the Pens in the long run. Might make him into a better playoff guy.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Wed May 14, 2014 4:07 pm

I would, but my reasoning might not be popular.

The player we got when James Neal was a 40 goal scorer doesn't play on this team anymore. The new James Neal is a hot head. Can't keep his head in the game. Takes an offensive zone penalty halfway through a power-play in Game 7 when his team is down a goal.

He's also lost his killer instinct. I did a study (that I stopped halfway through because I have ADD) comparing Neal's shot chart over previous years, average shot distance, and shot attempts on zone entry. Every year, one thing has happened that has become more common game after game.

1. James Neal no longer tests goaltenders when entering the zone. He doesn't shoot. On his own.
2. Evgeni Malkin has become a guy that defers to James Neal. There should never be a time where Geno is deferring to anyone. His shot is one of the most lethal shots in the NHL.

I would flip Neal. Unload his contract and spend it on two depth players. Jettison Glass and Adams, replace them with two younger, able bodied guys. Find another winger. (Not easy, I know.)
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Neal should be the first guy they move. They don't need players like James Neal to win Cups. He has always been terrible in the playoffs, he is a cheap shot artist, takes awful penalties, and like Jesse said is a hot head. F his 40 goal season. Malkin made Neal. Malkin can make someone else. We need a more well rounded winger.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 14, 2014 4:29 pm

he's another guy who can't play once his space is taken away. same with kunitz. same with sid apparently. the last 2 exits, we had a lot of guys who like to float shots in from the perimeter to pad the other goalie's stats. or they like to get down to the goal line and pretend like their backhand is actually a viable scoring option.

but this is inline with how the whole team plays. get the zone...fire a shot...let the other team break out. you put JVR in neal's place, the puck's going to be out of the zone by the time he gets into his wheelhouse in front of the goal. sid and geno aren't going to allow their wings to play how everyone wants neal to play. iginla looked impotent partly because his job was to watch his center dance around and hope the puck squirts to him in a scoring position. that's going to work fine against the islanders in november. it's not going to work when the stakes are raised.

so really, you can't ditch neal unless you have a grander picture in mind. one that involves team play. and one that changes how sid and geno approach their shifts.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Wed May 14, 2014 4:36 pm

If we don't trade Neal I'd like to see him play with Crosby and then for Kunitz to play with Malkin. Crosby gets most of his goals around the net while generally setting up Kunitz in the slot. Might as well give him a more lethal shooter to pass to, while also giving Geno a puck retriever and a capable shooter in his own right.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BleuLineLady on Wed May 14, 2014 4:55 pm

What about a Neal for Jordan Staal trade? Thoughts?
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Wed May 14, 2014 5:01 pm

I really can't believe there's that many "no's"
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Wed May 14, 2014 6:18 pm

BleuLineLady wrote:What about a Neal for Jordan Staal trade? Thoughts?

Jordan Staal was traded because he decided against staying with the Penguins long term, not because Shero did not want to retain him.

I would like to see Neal retained for the next staff to work with. His combination of talent is rare: top level size, speed, shooting, passing. If he can get his head screwed on right, he could be a force.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Desiato wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:What about a Neal for Jordan Staal trade? Thoughts?

Jordan Staal was traded because he decided against staying with the Penguins long term, not because Shero did not want to retain him.

I would like to see Neal retained for the next staff to work with. His combination of talent is rare: top level size, speed, shooting, passing. If he can get his head screwed on right, he could be a force.

Definitely a big dude, definitely a great shot. Middle of the pack passing, less than average speed, pretty awful hands; dude can't carry the puck too well.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 14, 2014 7:48 pm

who the **** are you going to trade Neal for that will produce more than him?

please explain how Neal could flourish in the playoffs? was he put in any position to succeed? so you think after playing the entire regular season with Geno he is suddely going to be great when his superstar center is taken away and he is removed from the top power play? mind you he led the leauge in power play goals just the past year, but he was removed from the top power play.

how many wingers in this league are going to flourish and create for themselves playing with someone like Sutter as their center?

no doubt neal could have had a better playoffs and be more disciplined but the coach sure as hell didn't but him in the best position to succeed. nor did the coach demand any accountability to change his discipline problems in the past. oh, and neal has a great contract on a salary cap strapped team i have no idea how people think trading him is going to improve this team.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JarkkoVision on Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Get rid of Neal. Anyone remember that? Told ya.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby owtahear on Wed May 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Right now.......I wouldn't be adverse to seeing ANYONE traded. And that means ANYONE.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 pm

I personally would like to see him play with Sid. I just don't want to see this team dismantle the GOOD things they have done, and signing James Neal was a good thing.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins