Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Yes
43%
No
42%
Not sure
15%

Total votes : 86

Re: Would you like to see James Neal traded?

Postby Rocco on Wed May 14, 2014 9:47 pm

BleuLineLady wrote:What about a Neal for Jordan Staal trade? Thoughts?

If the Pens wanted to pay a 3rd line center $6M/year they wouldn't have traded Staal in the first place.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 9:49 pm

James Neal reminds me of Hossa, just not quite as good. Which is why he's 3 million cheaper. When you take away his all world center, of course he won't score as much.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Wed May 14, 2014 9:50 pm

ulf wrote:James Neal reminds me of Hossa, just not quite as good. Which is why he's 3 million cheaper. When you take away his all world center, of course he won't score as much.

Hossa is a well rounded player capable of doing whatever is necessary. Neal's turned into a one-dimensional sniper.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 9:53 pm

I guess he reminded me of that when we got him. He could back check very well. Not so much anymore, but like I said, he's cheaper. 30+ goal scorers don't grow on trees. I'd be open to trading him, but man our top 6 would be bare on the wings.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 pm

No
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 pm

ulf wrote:James Neal reminds me of Hossa, just not quite as good. Which is why he's 3 million cheaper. When you take away his all world center, of course he won't score as much.

Actually, Neal is only $275,000 cheaper.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Steve Dave wrote:

Actually, Neal is only $275,000 cheaper.

Hossa is 7.9 and Neal is 5, no?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Ahh those 1 million salary years bring it down, I forgot. Regardless, my point is still the same.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Desiato on Wed May 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Rocco wrote:

If the Pens wanted to pay a 3rd line center $6M/year they wouldn't have traded Staal in the first place.

Jordan Staal reportedly turned down a 10 year 60M offer from the Pens. He was traded because he would not commit to the Penguins long term. He wanted a greater role and to play with a brother.

ESPN wrote:It’s why Penguins GM Ray Shero understood what needed to be done once Staal turned down a 10-year, $60 million contract extension in June. Even though Staal still had one more year left on his deal this season and wasn’t going to be an unrestricted free agent until this upcoming summer, Shero wasn’t going to waste an entire season letting things play out. If a player is turning down $60 million over 10 years, it’s clear this wasn’t about money.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... s-chirping
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed May 14, 2014 10:13 pm

ulf wrote:I guess he reminded me of that when we got him. He could back check very well. Not so much anymore, but like I said, he's cheaper. 30+ goal scorers don't grow on trees. I'd be open to trading him, but man our top 6 would be bare on the wings.

He wasn't scoring back then so he needed to do something to convince fans he wasn't a stiff. (It was always fun to hear Steigy gush over Neal playing defense.)
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BleuLineLady on Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Desiato wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Jordan Staal reportedly turned down a 10 year 60M offer from the Pens. He was traded because he would not commit to the Penguins long term. He wanted a greater role and to play with a brother.

ESPN wrote:It’s why Penguins GM Ray Shero understood what needed to be done once Staal turned down a 10-year, $60 million contract extension in June. Even though Staal still had one more year left on his deal this season and wasn’t going to be an unrestricted free agent until this upcoming summer, Shero wasn’t going to waste an entire season letting things play out. If a player is turning down $60 million over 10 years, it’s clear this wasn’t about money.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... s-chirping

Well first off Shero may not be here by the end of the week, so who knows what the philosophy going forward will be, but obviously Shero was trying to recover that 3 center model by trying to acquire Kesler. Jordan has not had good production in Carolina and I remember reading that Carolina wouldnt be opposed to trading him. So, its possible. I just think whether it be Kesler or Staal, either one of those guys are better suited compared to Neal for a playoff run. Neal is not defensively responsible and more so, he cant create his own shot. Even if he could, I would trade him. The dependence Malkin had on Neal to shoot created an unbalanced attack on that line. Malkin needs a new linemate and I just dont think Neal is the right guy anymore to help this team. It really is time to hit the reset button and for that reason, Neal should be traded, ideally for a forward.

Kunitz, Dupuis are safe, for one because of their NTC's but I still think they can be important pieces to help them get back to a cup final. As far as players go: Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis, Martin, Maata, Fleury are the only guys safe in my eyes.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu May 15, 2014 1:13 am

Get rid of him. Please. He plays too big of a role on this team and is lacking so much speed. I am not suggesting that every player have lightning speed but he has absolutely none. Add in the fact that personally I think he is lazy and that turns into him taking a horrible penalty.

Look at all the teams who have advanced to this point or are remaing.
DUCKs,
Kings,
Hawks,
Habs,
Rangers

What do all those teams have in common? They are all fast skating teams top to bottom. Something the Pens had in 2009. Top to bottom (Billy G the exception) they were decent skaters.
Neal is IMO below average skater. Given his premium ice time you cant have a guy taking so many important shifts who is so slow and I believe slow and lazy.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu May 15, 2014 2:21 am

Scott wrote:Get rid of him. Please. He plays too big of a role on this team and is lacking so much speed. I am not suggesting that every player have lightning speed but he has absolutely none. Add in the fact that personally I think he is lazy and that turns into him taking a horrible penalty.

DUCKs,
Kings,
Hawks,
Habs,
Rangers

What do all those teams have in common? They are all fast skating teams top to bottom. Something the Pens had in 2009. Top to bottom (Billy G the exception) they were decent skaters.
Neal is IMO below average skater. Given his premium ice time you cant have a guy taking so many important shifts who is so slow and I believe slow and lazy.

oh yeah the ducks and kings are just filled top to bottom with speed burners.

you really are completely and utterly clueless if you think one of Neal's big problems is speed. speed? he is plenty fast enough for his size. i've never once heard anyone critical of neal and his speed that's ridiculous.

people want the penguins to get bigger and tougher and now someone is trying to claim neal isn't fast enough - and teams like the ducks and kings are filled top to bottom with speed burners?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby k0la on Thu May 15, 2014 2:58 am

Just send Neal to the same dudes Fleury talked to before this season
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu May 15, 2014 11:25 am

This one's easy. I WANT him gone. The dirty stuff annoys me. The stupid penalties tick me off. But what bothers me the most is his disappearance in the playoffs. As we all know, it ain't about the regular season with this team. It's about the playoffs. And save for a game here or there, he has simply disappeared come playoff time. You do not win Cups with guys like that. Trade him for younger wingers with the same skill set, or potential skill set.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 15, 2014 11:33 am

You don't like cheap shots? Odd.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Thu May 15, 2014 11:36 am

Mad City Mike wrote:This one's easy. I WANT him gone. The dirty stuff annoys me. The stupid penalties tick me off. But what bothers me the most is his disappearance in the playoffs. As we all know, it ain't about the regular season with this team. It's about the playoffs. And save for a game here or there, he has simply disappeared come playoff time. You do not win Cups with guys like that. Trade him for younger wingers with the same skill set, or potential skill set.

I think it'd take less time if you just tell us who you want to stay.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Thu May 15, 2014 11:41 am

MCM, what's your desired roster for next year?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu May 15, 2014 11:43 am

ulf wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:This one's easy. I WANT him gone. The dirty stuff annoys me. The stupid penalties tick me off. But what bothers me the most is his disappearance in the playoffs. As we all know, it ain't about the regular season with this team. It's about the playoffs. And save for a game here or there, he has simply disappeared come playoff time. You do not win Cups with guys like that. Trade him for younger wingers with the same skill set, or potential skill set.

I think it'd take less time if you just tell us who you want to stay.

I would listen to offers on everyone, including Sid. But Sid, Geno, and Maatta are the only ones who would require a "blow-my-socks-off" offer. Absolutely anyone else could go with a decent deal. That's not to say I WOULD trade the whole team, but that I'm am not married to any of these guys staying, either. Some guys like Scuderi and Letang are virtually untradeable, but if a decent offer came, they'd be gone.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu May 15, 2014 12:09 pm

There are only a hand full of players wil James Neals shooting ability. But you can find a ton of players with a more complete game than he has. I like Neal and what he brings but he is also a wild card taking bad penalties. Although Malkin seems to be good with slow player Malone wasn't a speedster but he did have more intagibles than Neal.

Get a more complete player.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Trade Neal and Nisky's rights to Dallas for Goligoski. That will show 'em!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 pm

knives of ice wrote:
Scott wrote:Get rid of him. Please. He plays too big of a role on this team and is lacking so much speed. I am not suggesting that every player have lightning speed but he has absolutely none. Add in the fact that personally I think he is lazy and that turns into him taking a horrible penalty.

DUCKs,
Kings,
Hawks,
Habs,
Rangers

oh yeah the ducks and kings are just filled top to bottom with speed burners.

you really are completely and utterly clueless if you think one of Neal's big problems is speed. speed? he is plenty fast enough for his size. i've never once heard anyone critical of neal and his speed that's ridiculous.

people want the penguins to get bigger and tougher and now someone is trying to claim neal isn't fast enough - and teams like the ducks and kings are filled top to bottom with speed burners?

Are you kidding me? Neal skates with a load in his hockey pants. It gets worse every year. He is slow and he is lazy. Obviously since 2009 the playoff exits can't be put on him but on the flipside the pens have been embarrassed many times since getting Neal. Coincidence? Maybe...but what is not coincidence is his slow play. When playoffs hit every team dials it up a notch. Neal kills the flow of the pens because he can't keep up. Yes he can park some place and shoot but his value gets even less as you need a fore check for him to park and get a shot. How has our fire check been? He is slow and not a good fit here
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins