Oh. My. God. Bylsma was too hard on them?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Oh. My. God. Bylsma was too hard on them?

Postby columbia on Fri May 16, 2014 7:54 am

I made the mistake of clicking on an article in the Trib and looking at the comments section.
What a cesspool.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby columbia on Fri May 16, 2014 7:56 am

CERV96 wrote:Let me take a stab at something here. Compare the system to a burning pot on a stove. You touch it, you get burned but your Mom and Dad tell you to continue to touch it. What do you do?

What I am trying to get at is maybe Dan would not tweak the system to stop Sid from getting smothered by Dubinsky or Staal.

I could be totally off base but just a thought.

aka How well would you perform at work, if you knew that your boss had no idea how to meet the challenges of the department?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby CERV96 on Fri May 16, 2014 8:01 am

^ exactly ^
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Fri May 16, 2014 8:03 am

The problem is having a system in the first place that would allow a Dubinsky to contain Crosby.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri May 16, 2014 9:37 am

TrueNorth wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Desiato wrote:Can you imagine what it was like to play on the hyper-disciplined, structured, well-oiled machine that was Team Canada and then return to Pensville? It must have been something of a rude awakening.

During Sid's first Olympics, the Pens were fresh from a validating cup win, so it may not have been as apparent to him then; especially as a younger player.

I'm sure you are not saying that coaching would somehow stop the best player in the nhl from taking shots and making passes; 2 basic hockey skills.

Again, regular season coaching seems to agree with Sidney.

It seems that Sid really has fallen out of favour with you, penny--or maybe he never was in your good books and I just didn’t pick up on it. I don’t mean this in a challenging or snarky way, not at all, but do you believe that he really just quit on everybody and didn’t care that he was letting his team down? I get the sense that that is truly what you believe. I ask because I can think of other reasons why he might not have been making passes and taking shots and why his game, in general, was not up to par. What has you so convinced that he just quit on everyone and wasn't even trying, if in fact that is your belief?

I’m not a person who expects to be presented with the Stanley cup every season. I like the games, the action.

My response was regarding the level of expertise in a coach. Sidney is going to win the Hart Trophy, deserved. But he did it with Blysma as his coach.
Sid's compete level was off during the play-offs. I don’t know why, but as a player, don’t you have to think about doing the basics to get into the game? Shooting the puck seems like a natural to get your game going. Do you or I know if Sid is concealing an injury; we don’t! I’m going by what I saw on the ice.
Sid is my Captain oh Captain; family. I don’t turn against easily, I’m a loyal sort.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Fri May 16, 2014 12:26 pm

penny lane wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
penny lane wrote:
Desiato wrote:Can you imagine what it was like to play on the hyper-disciplined, structured, well-oiled machine that was Team Canada and then return to Pensville? It must have been something of a rude awakening.

During Sid's first Olympics, the Pens were fresh from a validating cup win, so it may not have been as apparent to him then; especially as a younger player.

I'm sure you are not saying that coaching would somehow stop the best player in the nhl from taking shots and making passes; 2 basic hockey skills.

Again, regular season coaching seems to agree with Sidney.

It seems that Sid really has fallen out of favour with you, penny--or maybe he never was in your good books and I just didn’t pick up on it. I don’t mean this in a challenging or snarky way, not at all, but do you believe that he really just quit on everybody and didn’t care that he was letting his team down? I get the sense that that is truly what you believe. I ask because I can think of other reasons why he might not have been making passes and taking shots and why his game, in general, was not up to par. What has you so convinced that he just quit on everyone and wasn't even trying, if in fact that is your belief?

I’m not a person who expects to be presented with the Stanley cup every season. I like the games, the action.

My response was regarding the level of expertise in a coach. Sidney is going to win the Hart Trophy, deserved. But he did it with Blysma as his coach.
Sid's compete level was off during the play-offs. I don’t know why, but as a player, don’t you have to think about doing the basics to get into the game? Shooting the puck seems like a natural to get your game going. Do you or I know if Sid is concealing an injury; we don’t! I’m going by what I saw on the ice.
Sid is my Captain oh Captain; family. I don’t turn against easily, I’m a loyal sort.

Thanks, penny, for your response and for clarifying your comments. While my reading comprehension is usually pretty good, I’m not always spot on when it comes to reading between the lines. And in case you may have misinterpreted my response, I was never questioning your loyalty. I know you to be one of the staunchest Penguin fans around, which is why your comments about Sid--which apparently I misread--had me puzzled.

I think I’m overly sensitive these days to all the criticism that Sid is receiving and this has resulted in a knee-jerk reaction whenever I feel he is being criticized unfairly. While I’m a big Sid fan, that doesn’t mean I’m blind to his shortcomings, but, man, are the knives ever out for him. Without a doubt, his playoff performance this year fell way short of expectations; however, when I look at all the things he has had to deal with this year, and the physical and emotional toll that would take, I’m not surprised that his compete level was down. I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t totally burned out. And who knows what other stuff might be going on in his life--both on and off the ice--that would sap his energy and affect his ability to perform at an elite level. When I take all of this into consideration, I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that what he put out is all that he could muster.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 pm

columbia wrote:I made the mistake of clicking on an article in the Trib and looking at the comments section.
What a cesspool.

Biggest mistake in the history of media. Whoever came up with the idea of comment sections in newspapers should be outed and blamed for the devolution of civilization.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby seabiscuit on Fri May 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Crosby to the KHL
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Fri May 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Now the mods are locking up any anti Bylsma threads. Good job guys.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Fri May 16, 2014 1:57 pm

They are locking new threads that are pointless because the same thing is being discussed in 5 other ones.

Calm down guy.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Admin on Fri May 16, 2014 1:58 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:Now the mods are locking up any anti Bylsma threads. Good job guys.

Post in one of the numerous Bylsma threads available.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Admin wrote:
DistinctKickingMtn wrote:Now the mods are locking up any anti Bylsma threads. Good job guys.

I can't find any...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Admin on Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Admin wrote:

I can't find any...

They've all been deleted by Penguins ownership. :pop:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby meow on Fri May 16, 2014 2:21 pm

I, for one, was upset to see your well-thought-out and original thread be locked.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Admin wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Admin wrote:

I can't find any...

They've all been deleted by Penguins ownership. :pop:

:lol: Good luck. Looks like clean up in every aisle today, Admin.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Fri May 16, 2014 3:56 pm

My point was basic: Already, the new GM, no matter who they hire, has one hand tied behind his back. By keeping Bylsma, they have implicitly stated that he is still their man. If the new GM wants to bring in his own man, he needs to know in the back of their minds, they still want Bylsma.

Poor, very poor.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Three Stars on Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:My point was basic: Already, the new GM, no matter who they hire, has one hand tied behind his back. By keeping Bylsma, they have implicitly stated that he is still their man. If the new GM wants to bring in his own man, he needs to know in the back of their minds, they still want Bylsma.

Poor, very poor.

The hypothetical GM might also decide based on the interviews and such that Lemieux and Burkle are not making a Bylsma vs. non-Bylsma decision on his behalf without checking with the new GM first. If the new guy feels in his heart of hearts that this team can make it work with Bylsma and a complete enema of the hockey personnel, then they can be given the option to make that pitch.

I don't see the implication that you're implicating.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Fri May 16, 2014 5:00 pm

The implication is simple: If you don't fire the head coach, then you are keeping the head coach on.

Right now, Bylsma is still head coach. Shero, is fired.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Sure, if you look at it like a black-and-white issue.

Nothing ever is, though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Fri May 16, 2014 6:08 pm

All I can think about right now is what a terrible position Bylsma is in--the sword of Damocles hanging over his head and not knowing when, or even if, it will fall. Yes, he hasn’t been fired outright, but there is no guarantee that his job is secure once a new GM is hired.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 16, 2014 6:15 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:The implication is simple: If you don't fire the head coach, then you are keeping the head coach on.

Right now, Bylsma is still head coach. Shero, is fired.

No, DKM. Just no. There is nothing simple about this. Nothing at all. There's also nothing wrong with letting the new GM make his case and pull the trigger.

Lemieux and Burkle were highly critical of DB's decisions (especialy re: younger vs. older players) today. To the extent that one could derive a "simple" implication from their comments, one would see that they wish they had made changes (plural) last year after the ECF.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri May 16, 2014 6:42 pm

If you want to show that your GM is the one who makes hockey decisions - you let them fire/choose the head coach.

Ownernship did not fire Byslma because that will be the decision of the new GM, I think it's pretty simple and straight forward.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Does anyone think that the team might try to keep DB in the organization somewhere? I don't know where they'd reassign him.

Just shooting the in the dark.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Fri May 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:Does anyone think that the team might try to keep DB in the organization somewhere? I don't know where they'd reassign him.

Just shooting the in the dark.

Unless he really really wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, I feel it's coaching or out. I mean, he is only 44 which is essentially a rookie in the coaching world. If he was 64, then sure.

I see him in Washington or Vancouver. I feel the perfect fit for him would be Edmonton.

I just don't see him here next year unless it's still as head coach.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Sat May 17, 2014 12:38 am

I just don't see any way he could or should stay no matter who the new GM is. I don't know why they wouldn't just oust him with Shero. It's kinda weak in my opinion. If they're firing Shero because he stuck by DB then why keep DB around? If just doesn't make any sense in my book. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how all this stuff plays out.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins