The Case Against Dan Bylsma

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Case Against Dan Bylsma

Postby owtahear on Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 pm

1) Obviously, early exits, two playoff defeats after leading series 3-1. Since the Cup run in 2009, the Pens are 4-6 in series losses, all losses to a lower seed, and the 4 series wins were Columbus, Ottawa (twice) and New York Islanders.

2) Not adjusting tactics. "Get to our game". "Get to our game". Just repeat, rinse, repeat. Great in the regular season, but when you have to match up in a 7 game series, there has not ever been an answer to when adversity happens.

3) Not protecting Sid. I am not saying get Dave Semenko on his wing, but someone in the bottom 6 or bottom 2 defense pair and commit the hockey equivalent of the Hammurabi Code, "an eye for an eye". In Game 5, after Sid getting beat on, I would have had someone beat the dead mother out of Martin St. Louis. Or Staal. Or Pouillot or Brassard. But again, another series, another series of abusing Sidney.

4) Not developing young players. 82 game season. Basically clinching in December, Despres is continually and constantly jerked around. He makes a mistake, back to WB/S. Borts makes a mistake, in the press box. Scuds or Engelland.....more ice time. Beau Bennett when not injured, if he is going to play, it is going to be as a checking line winger, instead of a top 6. How many years have they done this. I don't know how Olli Maatta escaped this fate.

5) Jerome Iginla. You were handed Jerome Iginla. Your answer is to play a HOFer on his off wing or on a 3rd line role. He didn't resign and scored 30 goals and 65 points this year as a member of the most productive line in hockey. You treated Iginla as if he was Brian Gibbons.

6) Your too attachment to players like you, a AAAA player, fringe NHLer/AHLer. You need some role players, but they need to fill specific bottom 6 roles, not just merely "try hard".

7) Over reliance on veterans. Again, if you worked with Despres, Bennett, Vitale, whoever...maybe the Pens don't feel the need to sign a Scuderi or resign an Adams or even Dupuis because the young guys are ready and proved it.

8) Playing the "system" instead of the "score". How do you not go to a simple trap when you have a 2-3 goal lead in the playoffs is beyond me. But you are "getting to your game".

9) Motivating your stars. They should be able to motivate themselves, but great coaches get the most out of their best players. Simple as that.

10) Failure. You just didn't learn. Failure is acceptable if you learn from it.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The Case Against Dan Bylsma

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Woo. Another Bylsma thread.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 pm

This thread is like making a thread "The Case Against Black People" in a KKK forum. No one will disagree with it.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 14, 2014 5:28 pm

We needed a case? I think the body of work speaks for itself.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Wed May 14, 2014 5:29 pm

owtahear wrote:1) Obviously, early exits, two playoff defeats after leading series 3-1. Since the Cup run in 2009, the Pens are 4-6 in series losses, all losses to a lower seed, and the 4 series wins were Columbus, Ottawa (twice) and New York Islanders.

It's about how they lost, more than the fact they lost, for me.

owtahear wrote:2) Not adjusting tactics. "Get to our game". "Get to our game". Just repeat, rinse, repeat. Great in the regular season, but when you have to match up in a 7 game series, there has not ever been an answer to when adversity happens.

Bzzt. Wrong. This has been disproven so many times that it's just word vomit for me to repeat it at this point. If you can't see a tangible difference in the way the team plays nightly I have no idea what to tell you. Watch the Columbus series and the Rangers series. Fundamental on-ice differences in D-zone coverage, and the breakout.

owtahear wrote:3) Not protecting Sid. I am not saying get Dave Semenko on his wing, but someone in the bottom 6 or bottom 2 defense pair and commit the hockey equivalent of the Hammurabi Code, "an eye for an eye". In Game 5, after Sid getting beat on, I would have had someone beat the dead mother out of Martin St. Louis. Or Staal. Or Pouillot or Brassard. But again, another series, another series of abusing Sidney.

Meh, I could go either way on this. I'm not playing Tanner Glass with Sidney Crosby for "protection." The idea of "protection" in the NHL is a myth.

owtahear wrote:4) Not developing young players. 82 game season. Basically clinching in December, Despres is continually and constantly jerked around. He makes a mistake, back to WB/S. Borts makes a mistake, in the press box. Scuds or Engelland.....more ice time. Beau Bennett when not injured, if he is going to play, it is going to be as a checking line winger, instead of a top 6. How many years have they done this. I don't know how Olli Maatta escaped this fate.

Yeah, this is bad. What's just as bad is the organizations track record in drafting and developing forwards. This is an organization-wide fail. The fall of Dan Bylsma, ultimately, goes hand in hand with his tendency to favor guys that remind him of Dan Bylsma.

owtahear wrote:5) Jerome Iginla. You were handed Jerome Iginla. Your answer is to play a HOFer on his off wing or on a 3rd line role. He didn't resign and scored 30 goals and 65 points this year as a member of the most productive line in hockey. You treated Iginla as if he was Brian Gibbons.

Crosby and Malkin had way more to do with this than anyone is willing to understand. And Iginla doesn't care about playing the off-wing. He's a HOF guy for a reason. He killed it for us that playoff run.

owtahear wrote:6) Your too attachment to players like you, a AAAA player, fringe NHLer/AHLer. You need some role players, but they need to fill specific bottom 6 roles, not just merely "try hard". 7) Over reliance on veterans. Again, if you worked with Despres, Bennett, Vitale, whoever...maybe the Pens don't feel the need to sign a Scuderi or resign an Adams or even Dupuis because the young guys are ready and proved it.

Mentioned this above. One in the same really.

owtahear wrote:8) Playing the "system" instead of the "score". How do you not go to a simple trap when you have a 2-3 goal lead in the playoffs is beyond me. But you are "getting to your game".

Again, not accurate. The Penguins played a 2-3 trap several times against the Jackets, each resulting in a goal. They weren't good at it, and it appeared they were confused. The defense sat back in the backside of the trap too much and allowed way too much space for guys to carry it in. I cannot agree with this at all.

owtahear wrote:9) Motivating your stars. They should be able to motivate themselves, but great coaches get the most out of their best players. Simple as that.

If those guys need motivating it's time for them to find a new job.

owtahear wrote:10) Failure. You just didn't learn. Failure is acceptable if you learn from it.

He got beat by the same system no less than three times in the playoffs. Unacceptable.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Dan Bylsma might be the organizations all time leader in wins, but he is not one of the top five coaches this team has had. At least not IMO.

He was gifted one of the best rosters in the league with two superstars every single year and owners that always spent to the cap, and he and his beloved system ruined the past five years. Ruined a chance at greatness. Now this organization is a mess and he has played a massive part in it. Bottom line, ever since the Penguins fully implemented Bylsma's system after they won the Cup in 2009, the Penguins sucked in the playoffs and couldn't beat anyone good. That is all the people need to know.

I won't miss him at all.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 14, 2014 5:41 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:This thread is like making a thread "The Case Against Black People" in a KKK forum. No one will disagree with it.

the grand wizard is now following you on twitter
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Honestly we had a forum all year making a case against DB lol
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 14, 2014 5:44 pm

ulf wrote:Honestly we had a forum all year making a case against DB lol

This is the official thread though
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed May 14, 2014 5:47 pm

CERV96 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:This thread is like making a thread "The Case Against Black People" in a KKK forum. No one will disagree with it.

the grand wizard is now following you on twitter

Post of the year nominee.
Last edited by no name on Wed May 14, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 5:48 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
ulf wrote:Honestly we had a forum all year making a case against DB lol

This is the official thread though

Unofficially
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Wed May 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Thing is, I like Dan Bylsma. I think most all of us, the media, the organization does. Just...just.....and I am sorry, he just did not do enough Jesse, his basic system of breakouts and dump ins were the same. And they trapped some, hell Game 4 was a defensive blueprint the Bruins and Kings would be proud of, but never consistent with its applications.

And mind you, when I was writing this, trust me, it was more than apparent that Ray Shero also has to go. Because he gave Dan the rope to hang himself in many cases.

And let's not forget one thing, everyone is all over Ray and Dan and wants them fired and they likely will be, but the core group of players let the organization down. Especially Sidney Crosby. Malkin was at least a force out there the past 2 games. Sidney? He was the same, the same as in the Columbus series, the same...blah. Sidney Crosby's legacy is damaged. It is legit to question his heart, his leadership, his toughness. Right now, all of that crap "CYNDY" stuff is more accurate than painting him as the best player in the world.

Something is up with him. Rossi today on NHL radio alluded to it being personal, away from hockey and not an injury. I don't get it.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:54 pm

MT just beat Boston a team minus the "superstars"we have. If that isn't proof enough that DB ran into.the perfect storm and won moreso with his disciplined team I don't know what is. After DB fully implimented his system and that lil piece of MT left we lost.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 pm

owtahear wrote:Something is up with him. Rossi today on NHL radio alluded to it being personal, away from hockey and not an injury. I don't get it.

He's gay and depressed because he feels he can't come out with it in professional sports.

Spoiler:
There...see, I can now site my source (my dog told me) and I'm now fully qualified to write for the Trib!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins