1) Last year, the owners wanted Shero to fire Dan Bylsma. Shero stuck his neck out and defended and extended Bylsma. This year, the same failure has happened again and again with DB at the helm. So.....with the ship, down goes to the captain.
2) The failure to get a top line winger for Sidney Crosby. Marian Hossa. That's it. Then again, you got Jerome Iginla for what looked like a winger, and you let your coach treat him like Tanner Glass.
3) Poor drafting. After Rd 1, there has been little to no impact even at the "A" level. Constant drafting of defensemen. Constantly. ONE skilled forward in the system in Beau Bennett. Even Shero's BEST draft choice (Jordan Staal) was a mistake as he passed on Jonathon Toews. Look at teams like Boston, Chicago, Anaheim, they have 1st and 2nd year players playing major roles for them. Detroit looks like they are quickly retooling. The Pens? Looks like David Littlefield has been in charge of the drafts, then again, you could have drafted Brendan Saad or Jacob Silverberg and Disco would have played Gibbons or Vitale over them.
4) The Scuderi signing. You drafted defenseman after defenseman. And you felt the need to sign him for 4 years? In his mid 30's? Horrible. Just horrible.
5) Too loyal to players who are fringe type. Craig Adams was done....you sign him to two years? Even the Dupuis signing.....great guy, but when it cuts down to it, he is a 3rd liner. Memo........think long and hard about Matt Niskanen. Good player, had a great season...but you drafted Depres, Borts, Harrington, Pouillot and Maatta.......time for these guys to rise up. Boston is able to play Hamilton, Krug and Bartkowski.
6) Bottom 6. GMRS has forgotten that they compose two of the 4 lines. You had AHL players pretty much occupying 4 of these 6 spots every game. And smallish AHL players with little chance of becoming NHL players.
7) Prior to his stroke, I thought it was the perfect shot to trade Letang to get some quality forward depth. You chose not to, sign him to a long term deal, now you are pretty much stuck with him now that he has a stroke.
8) Failure to somehow get your head coach to adapt and learn from his mistakes. Somehow.....you let him continue on and on and on....
9) You turned this team from a potential dynasty, to paper champions, weak, soft, easy to play against. Somehow.
10) You failed to recognize the leadership void amongst your core players and didn't add a Billy Guerin type of player. Though you tried with Ryan Kesler. The problem here, some of the bad deals of the past, didn't allow you to up the ante and get a guy like Kesler. But they needed a grit and sandpaper guy like him who can play.