The Case Against Rejean Shero

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Case Against Rejean Shero

Postby owtahear on Wed May 14, 2014 5:43 pm

1) Last year, the owners wanted Shero to fire Dan Bylsma. Shero stuck his neck out and defended and extended Bylsma. This year, the same failure has happened again and again with DB at the helm. So.....with the ship, down goes to the captain.

2) The failure to get a top line winger for Sidney Crosby. Marian Hossa. That's it. Then again, you got Jerome Iginla for what looked like a winger, and you let your coach treat him like Tanner Glass.

3) Poor drafting. After Rd 1, there has been little to no impact even at the "A" level. Constant drafting of defensemen. Constantly. ONE skilled forward in the system in Beau Bennett. Even Shero's BEST draft choice (Jordan Staal) was a mistake as he passed on Jonathon Toews. Look at teams like Boston, Chicago, Anaheim, they have 1st and 2nd year players playing major roles for them. Detroit looks like they are quickly retooling. The Pens? Looks like David Littlefield has been in charge of the drafts, then again, you could have drafted Brendan Saad or Jacob Silverberg and Disco would have played Gibbons or Vitale over them.

4) The Scuderi signing. You drafted defenseman after defenseman. And you felt the need to sign him for 4 years? In his mid 30's? Horrible. Just horrible.

5) Too loyal to players who are fringe type. Craig Adams was done....you sign him to two years? Even the Dupuis signing.....great guy, but when it cuts down to it, he is a 3rd liner. Memo........think long and hard about Matt Niskanen. Good player, had a great season...but you drafted Depres, Borts, Harrington, Pouillot and Maatta.......time for these guys to rise up. Boston is able to play Hamilton, Krug and Bartkowski.

6) Bottom 6. GMRS has forgotten that they compose two of the 4 lines. You had AHL players pretty much occupying 4 of these 6 spots every game. And smallish AHL players with little chance of becoming NHL players.

7) Prior to his stroke, I thought it was the perfect shot to trade Letang to get some quality forward depth. You chose not to, sign him to a long term deal, now you are pretty much stuck with him now that he has a stroke.

8) Failure to somehow get your head coach to adapt and learn from his mistakes. Somehow.....you let him continue on and on and on....

9) You turned this team from a potential dynasty, to paper champions, weak, soft, easy to play against. Somehow.

10) You failed to recognize the leadership void amongst your core players and didn't add a Billy Guerin type of player. Though you tried with Ryan Kesler. The problem here, some of the bad deals of the past, didn't allow you to up the ante and get a guy like Kesler. But they needed a grit and sandpaper guy like him who can play.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The Case Against Rejean Shero

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 14, 2014 5:45 pm

You know the biggest reason Shero should go with Bylsma? Because Shero didn't build this team around Crosby and Malkin, he built this team around Dan Bylsma and his system.

Brought in a ton of freaking midgets who can skate and have no talent because that is what Dan loves. Drafted nothing but pucking moving dmen because that is what Dan wants.

A team with less and less toughness every single year and does nothing but play the outside of the rink and never hit anyone. Just like Dan wants.

Brought in a bunch of reject veterans to fill in the roster so young guys don't have to play. Just like Dan likes.

Shero screwed up this team way more than he has helped it. These past five years have been a massive waste of time and a waste of talent. This fan base was cheated. We deserved so much better from this group.

Shero attached himself to Bylsma last summer. Now he needs to go with him.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Dumb question perhaps - was Jordan Staal drafted before or after Shero took over? I thought that was the offseason Craig Patrick was not renewed.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby owtahear on Wed May 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Oh and one other thing. Shero inherited a core of Sid, Geno, Letang, Fleury.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 14, 2014 5:57 pm

relantel wrote:Dumb question perhaps - was Jordan Staal drafted before or after Shero took over? I thought that was the offseason Craig Patrick was not renewed.

Staal was his first draft pick, I believe.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Wed May 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Right on all counts. There's absolutely no way to argue the OP.

When RS was brought in in 2006 we were all relieved. FGMCP had stayed way past his prime. This is their chance to make sure that doesn't happen again. Very sad, but it is the end of an era, and probably should have been a year or two earlier.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 14, 2014 6:12 pm

A smashed Craig Patrick calling in from a Zach Morris cell phone from chi-chi's happy hour could out draft Ray Shero and all his scouts.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 14, 2014 6:19 pm

owtahear wrote:Oh and one other thing. Shero inherited a core of Sid, Geno, Letang, Fleury.

and a second pick overall (jordan)
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Wed May 14, 2014 6:20 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
owtahear wrote:Oh and one other thing. Shero inherited a core of Sid, Geno, Letang, Fleury.

Which he turned into a cup, Sutter, Domoulin and Pouliot. Go on..
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Wed May 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Why is this poster still here?
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed May 14, 2014 6:22 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:A smashed Craig Patrick calling in from a Zach Morris cell phone from chi-chi's happy hour could out draft Ray Shero and all his scouts.

Yeah it took real talent evaluation ability to draft Malkin and Crosby. How about some of his other 1st round picks; Robert Dome, Milan Kraft, Konstantin Koltsov, Colby Armstrong (not a first round talent), and Ryan Whitney ( a 2 year NHL wonder).
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 14, 2014 6:22 pm

ulf wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Which he turned into a cup, Sutter, Domoulin and Pouliot. Go on..

not arguing that, just felt it was necessary to add that he also inherited a 2nd overall pick.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Do people only refer to Ray Shero as "Rejean" when they are criticizing him? Kind of like "Barack Hussein Obama"?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Antonio on Wed May 14, 2014 6:36 pm

The entire op is correct.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Wed May 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Olli Maatta
Beau Bennett
Robert Bortuzzo

The three guys on the NHL roster drafted by Ray Shero.

Completely unacceptable.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dodint on Wed May 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
relantel wrote:Dumb question perhaps - was Jordan Staal drafted before or after Shero took over? I thought that was the offseason Craig Patrick was not renewed.

Staal was his first draft pick, I believe.

When he passed on Toews, right? :pop:
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 14, 2014 7:42 pm

i can't blame the draft on all on Ray. maybe our scouting blows and that should have tried to be improved.

his trades have been for the most part excellent. maybe some of the players haven't worked out like he hoped at the deadline but i can't think of a trade where we gave up anyone that has done anything in this league.

until this year many considered shero the best GM In the league.

he didn't give us a good roster this year and keeping dan was a mistake. i don't think he should be fired over this at all, especiallyl 6 weeks before the draft. especially if you want to make trades in the offseason.

the scuderi signing looks bad now but the vast majority of media and fans thought it was amongst the best signings in the offseason. yes, some didn't but that was the vocal minority.

shero had little to work with given the cap restrictions this offseason.

his worst mistake is his loyalty to Dan. what GM that is available do you seriously think is going to do a better job than shero?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 14, 2014 7:50 pm

OP is a known troll based on other threads, but the only I disagree with is 7. 10 I think is overrated generally, but whatever.

Again, I'm of the mind it's time to start fresh at gm and coach.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Wed May 14, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm kinda torn on this because I don't know enough about who is out there to replace him. Don't want to make a knee jerk reaction and get someone worse. I think he has definitely made mistakes but also supplied some pretty good players for DB. To me he tied his wagon to DB when he extended his contract last year.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 pm

I feel like some are forgetting how many bad GMs there are out there. The Pens could end up with a real bozo.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed May 14, 2014 7:56 pm

columbia wrote:I feel like some are forgetting how many bad GMs there are out there. The Pens could end up with a real bozo.

They should get the Caps ex gm.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Wed May 14, 2014 7:57 pm

columbia wrote:I feel like some are forgetting how many bad GMs there are out there. The Pens could end up with a real bozo.

They can. But the Pens also have a lot of cred and Mario has lots of friends. I doubt they hire Garth Snow or Mike Milbury. I would trust it would be a good hockey guy.

They just need to try and figure out, what exactly do they want to be.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Yeah, unless it's Jason Botterill, whom management already knows, I wouldn't risk losing RS for someone who turns out to be a bozo.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 14, 2014 7:59 pm

so last year Shero was the GM of the year. people raved about his amazing trades.

now he should be fired and there are better replacements out there? seriously?

his worse mistake is believing in Bylsma. and really, if you have ever worked that closely with someone i can understand how that happens. many many many many many GMs have made the same mistake.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan1989 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Shero's drafting is mostly on him, but partly on Bylsma. I'm completely torn on that.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins