The Case Against Rejean Shero

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Case Against Rejean Shero

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm

owtahear wrote:Oh and one other thing. Shero inherited a core of Sid, Geno, Letang, Fleury.

and Gonchar, who was extremely productive at that time and the best special teams D-man we've had since the first lockout.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Thu May 15, 2014 3:58 pm

No backup goalie...last year he leaned on Vokoun. Not this time. No faith in Zatkoff, thus RS gave HCDB no alternative. Thats my biggest beef.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PAPLine on Thu May 15, 2014 4:14 pm

You cannot judge his drafts in a vacuum. If his drafts were directed at accumulating players that STFBHCDB wanted for his view of coaching and what he wished the NHL was, then that is the type of player STBFGMRS would draft. If we had a coach who wanted to accumulate players who could win in the playoffs (size, grit, toughness, get-in-your-faceness) then I suspect that is the type of player he would have drafted. I'm not saying he definitively would have, but I think his approach is based on the coach's desires.
The Vokoun/ Zatkoff situation does bother me a bit. But Vokoun had his issues late in the process, relatively speaking, and they must have had enough faith in Zatkoff for the regular season, and MAF never realy blew up in the playoffs, so...
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby malkinshair on Thu May 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Wow...a lot of revisionist history, 20-20 hind-sightedness, and current short-sightedness in this thread.

The only 'punishable' mistake he's made was re-upping Bylsma after last year, but I think that he valued stability over a 'fresh' voice in the lockerroom. Bylsma is/was a highly thought of coach that was tapped to coach team USA...showing that the respect for him extended past the Pens organization. Last year's Bruins series was tough to take, but not on the level of the Flyers series the year before. I think Shero was more concerned that an overreaction would be more damaging to the team than a 'stand pat' attitude. The truth is that we'll never know. The grass isn't always greener, and sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. IF Dan did lost the room (which it appears that at some point he did), Shero should've made a move right away...unless it was either very late in the season or in the playoffs. At that point, what do you do?

I love that people are praising Ray for his trade savvy, but killing him for his drafts. They are not mutually exclusive. Ray hasn't drafted for organizational need, he's drafted for assets. Those assets can either be developed to help this organization, or used in these masterful trades that he's been known to pull off. Puck moving defensemen are valued and coveted by virtually every team in the league. Shero's plan has been to use his draft picks as chips to bring in other pieces. Could he have drafted an impact wing or two? Maybe. Could he have drafted an impact wing or two picking where the Pens usually pick? Doubtful. He's trying to stockpile valuable assets. I can't say he's failed.

Was the team big, tough, and nasty this year? No. Was this because, philosophically, Shero is against that type of team? I don't think so. The man went out last year at the trade deadline and brought in Brenden Morrow, Jarome Iginla, and Douglas Murray! That is big, tough, and nasty...and it didn't work. The team never gelled. It got too slow. The roster was littered with skill, leadership, grit, toughness, experience, etc...but it wasn't enough. Did you really want him to do the same thing again this year? Of course not. We wanted speed and size. So does everyone else...but we were up against the cap. You can't just go out and pick people you want. Doesn't work that way.

Is he perfect? Absolutely not...but I think he's still a top 5 GM in the league right now. Firing him because he stuck up for Bylsma last year would be the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Root out and eliminate the real reasons behind these 'hideous failures'. It isn't the GM.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 pm

I think Shero deserves a shot with a new coach. Last season Shero went all out to bring in Iginla, Jokinen and Morrow. IMO it was Bylsma we put the kibosh on everything and totally mishandled Iginla. He also mishandled Kovy.

I don't know that I could blame Bylsma for mishandling Morrow. That one falls on Shero. Either way I think Shero was pulled off some amazing moves and I'm not that concerned with the deals he necessarily missed and no GM will be without the occasional bad contract, but I'd really like to see what another coach can do with the moves Shero pulls off.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 pm

Shero*s biggest mistakes - keeping Blysma last year, re-signing Adams, signing Scuderi and drafting - not so good last few years..

Duper re-signing wasnt that bad,length of contract only.. Duper had 52 goals and 56 assists in his last 145 games as example..so his contract is good,length not so good.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 15, 2014 5:20 pm

Scuderi - bad signing
Letang - horrible contract
Adams - irrelevant
Dupuis - good signing, good contract

Bylsma didn't have to play Adams and Adams' contract is nothing. I think something else people need to realize is that not every contract is going to be a bargain. We can't all expect to have a team of 20 goal scorers all signed for $1M. Good players cost money.

Despite my feelings on James Neal, his contract is pretty amazing, as is Kunitz's contract. You're going to have some bargains, some contracts that are simply the going rate and likely one or two over-payments; that goes for MANY teams.

Players busting or going on the decline faster than expected is nothing something ANY GM can predict. Sometimes you roll the dice and things blow up in your face. While Shero has had a couple of questionable moves, he's pulled off way more great ones.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu May 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Shero has had a simply horrible last 12 months of decision making. Almost every thing he has done since the trade deadline last year if done every year would get a guy fired in a heartbeat.

I'm not ready to fire him yet. But his strong words baking Bylsma last year was either great acting or he is or was then a fool.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 15, 2014 6:00 pm

pronovost19 wrote:No backup goalie...last year he leaned on Vokoun. Not this time. No faith in Zatkoff, thus RS gave HCDB no alternative. Thats my biggest beef.

If your biggest beef is the back up goalie where this season has shown that Zatkoff wasn't really a factor anywhere, then you really don't have much of a beef.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins