How many cups did those here think we would win after '09

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How many cups did those here think we would win after '09

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm

My first guess would be multiple. Well, we're still waiting for the 2nd one from the '09 "core". And that core is now in their prime playing years. And until it proves it can get another one, it is stuck at one. As of this date in time the Pens are just another one of many who might be able to secure the cup...no longer the odds-on favorite. There is lots of hard work ahead of them before they can begin to aspire to be cup worthy again.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: How many cups did those here think we would win after '0

Postby Penspal on Thu May 15, 2014 12:41 pm

I thought two was reasonable, the one they won, and then one other. Still doable, but its dwindling....
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu May 15, 2014 12:42 pm

In only a matter of a few years the style of play in the NHL has changed. The Pens havent adapted, and wont win until they do.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 pm

All of them

I felt like this from 1990 through 2001 or so too though, so fart noise
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Last year was the one I expected. So one more. I had no hopes for this year at all.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Thu May 15, 2014 1:03 pm

I never expect to win the cup. I HOPE to win every year, but not expect. We went 17 years in between cups with a team full of Hall of Fame players for a good chunk of that.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 15, 2014 1:07 pm

2 or 3 wasn't out of the question and we still have 10 years at least of hopefully Sid and Geno so it could still happen.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu May 15, 2014 1:10 pm

I'd rather judge by Finals appearances. Should have had at least 2 more, 2010 and 2012. No one in the east was as good as us that we would have played.

I'll accept the Bruins were a better team but the pens didn't even show up to make it a contest.

The West is still a different animal, beating Chicago would have been very difficult, maybe we would ahve beat LA 2 years ago if we faced them?

So maybe there should have been one very good chance in 2012.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Beveridge wrote:2 or 3 wasn't out of the question and we still have 10 years at least of hopefully Sid and Geno so it could still happen.

The Window will keep getting smaller. Everyone said the 96 Avs would be a dynasty, took them 5 years to win another cup and then they sucked hard for a while after becasue they had to rebuild.

It will eventually happen to us too. Remember when the Wings and Hawks were a joke?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu May 15, 2014 1:15 pm

As a team, I would have expected two more trips to the finals. However, the team of today is not what it was then with so many parts and pieces that fell into place at the perfect time. That group had speed, grit, youth, experienced vets, and role players that all gelled.

Not to beat on the coach more, but even he doesn't know what kind of team he is putting on the ice today.

Today, with the salary cap and other issues that lead to league parity, one could say expectations need to be fed a big dose of reality now and then. This year's reality was served courtesy of the Rangers.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu May 15, 2014 1:24 pm

The League has changed a lot since then. The rats have taken over and the Penguins are rat-free. They wanted to do things the honorable way and, well, you just can't get by that way anymore. I think I would be better with the Pens not getting a second Cup if it weren't for how they lose. I've never seen a team so good crash and burn so horrifically, year after year.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Honestly, over the course of their career, I figured this core would win 2-3 cups. That was/is my expectation. Hopefully they still reach that goal. They are in the primes of their career and probably have like 8-10 shots left. But if they win 1 more, I'll be satisfied, if they win 2 more, I'd be estatic.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Thu May 15, 2014 1:33 pm

All of them.

I agree with nan. Multiple, at least 2, maybe 3 or 4. And that hasn't changed, I still think they will.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 pm

DelPen wrote:I'd rather judge by Finals appearances.

This gentleman agrees. And the pens have failed by that measure as well. Even if your measuring stick is the conference finals (and lets face it, only eagles fans do that), the pens have been to one and that has to be a failure.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu May 15, 2014 2:06 pm

I had hoped, not expected but hoped, for three. We had the star power. We had the arena. We had the organizational support, the salary cap etc. All these things should have given the pens better footing than the Mario era Pens. Mario won two, I wanted Sid/Geno to win three.

Now we go one of two ways:
1) Continue to crumble, cycling coach after coach, player after player, trying to find the winning formula, aka the Washington Capitals. Shudder.
2) We put ourselves back together, build a competitive team year after year through sound drafting and roster moves, and hope one of these years everything clicks before Sid and Geno get too old to get it done, aka the Detroit Red Wings.

It's probably too late to be the Blackhawks. They burned it all down after their first cup, but in doing so traded enough pieces away that they could retool quickly. We probably don't have the pieces to trade away to do that now.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 15, 2014 2:07 pm

After what I saw in 2008...I expected one. Am hoping for more. Still hoping.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu May 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Cups are so hard to win. I'd say two, but I figured they would be in the running for the Cup, at least in the finals, multiple times after 2009. This had the makings of a generational team.

Longtime Penguin fans have now watched TWO dynastic opportunities go by the wayside in the past 20 years, mostly because of bad drafts, bad signings, and pampered star players. I never thought it would happen to this group. But I knew shortly after Bylsma installed his system that it would not be effective in the NHL postseason. I've been railing against Bylsma since 2010, I was one of his earliest critics on here, so it's been sad and frustrating, thinking about what has come to pass.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 15, 2014 2:36 pm

I figured the Sid/Geno generation would get 3 cups - and would like 4. I figured 2 of them would happen within a few years of each other and then one more tacked on later in their careers.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Crosby is going to be 27 next year. Malkin 28. Letang 27, turning 28 during season. These guys really only have 5ish more years left of prime hockey
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 2:39 pm

IanMoran wrote:Crosby is going to be 27 next year. Malkin 28. Letang 27, turning 28 during season. These guys really only have 5ish more years left of prime hockey

Obviously, not only way to judge, but prime age in NHL by scoring of forwards is 25

In addition, we now have an estimate of how even strength scoring ability changes through a player's 30's. On average, players retain about 90% of their scoring through age 29, but the drop from there is pretty sharp -- they hit 80% at age 31, 70% at age 32-33, and 60% at age 35.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/13/5 ... e-analysis
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu May 15, 2014 2:45 pm

It's not how many, it's how. I thought we'd be legit contenders for maybe 4 of 5 years, leaving one year to injuries or other bad luck. Probably lose one year to bad breaks/matchup in the playoffs, and go to the ECF 3 more times, winning twice and maybe getting a Cup in one of those trips. A lot of this was based on how much stronger the West was than the East, so the path seemed easy. This was the optimistic case, but reasonable. It's hard to advance in the playoffs, no matter how good or how well coached you are. When you bring trouble upon yourself, it makes a deep run impossible.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu May 15, 2014 3:01 pm

To be fair, there are 29 other teams in this league, all trying to win a cup. Of those 29, I'd say 15-20 consistently spend to the cap. I'm not saying you can't complete without spending to the cap, but it does handicap your team. If you are an average, cap spending team, you should expect to win a cup once every 15-20 years. Having two generational talents should increase your expected outcome. Lets say it doubles it. Every 7.5-10 years, you should win a cup with Sid/Geno. That means we should win one or two in their careers. My hope was that sound coaching, solid front office work and a winning environment created by Mr/ Lemieux would further augment that and give us a chance at 3 in the Crosby/Malkin era. The Blackhawks are at that level, Boston is close to that level, the Redwings used to be at that level, and I thought we could be too.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu May 15, 2014 3:05 pm

One. Outside shot at two... but one.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Thu May 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Thought they had it in the bag in 2010 and 2013 (shortened lockout year). Knew 2011 wasn't happening due to injuries. Something told me that 2012 wasn't right either. So I guess my answer is 3. I didn't think they'd get past Boston/Montreal if they moved on this year.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Thu May 15, 2014 3:09 pm

I expected one more.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins