How many cups did those here think we would win after '09

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How many cups did those here think we would win after '0

Postby stopper40 on Thu May 15, 2014 3:20 pm

I thought 1 more was reasonable, then maybe another one over the course of Crosby and Malkin's career here. Winning a cup is hard, a lot of things have to go right but a lot of things can and do go wrong during the playoffs through no fault of anyone.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 15, 2014 3:29 pm

No one has mentioned '10-'11. Yea, the monumental injuries did the Pens in that year. Now I know injuries hurt, and can take you out of contention, but Sid was having his career year that year. At the midpoint of that year he was 31G, 31A = 62 points. That transalted to a 62G, 62A = 124 points. And of course Geno went down that year also. Can't tell me that they weren't a true cup contender on 1/1/11. Then, well you know.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:No one has mentioned '10-'11. Yea, the monumental injuries did the Pens in that year. Now I know injuries hurt, and can take you out of contention, but Sid was having his career year that year. At the midpoint of that year he was 31G, 31A = 62 points. That transalted to a 62G, 62A = 124 points. And of course Geno went down that year also. Can't tell me that they weren't a true cup contender on 1/1/11. Then, well you know.

BEPF

Yup, that was sids point streak season. What was it, 26 games?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Thu May 15, 2014 3:41 pm

I would have expected one more championship by now, and another in Sid/Geno era
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 15, 2014 3:44 pm

2 per season, 3 if it was a really good season.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Orlando Penguin on Thu May 15, 2014 3:47 pm

I would never EXPECT (dirtiest word in sports fandom) a Cup, especially because of just how difficult winning 16 NHL playoff games is. But if you had told me after 2009 that the Pens would not return to the Finals until at least 2015, I'd have been pretty surprised. 2011 was our best setup until Sid got knocked out. I thought last year's team was set up for it but they went belly-up against Boston. Hell, I thought with the right breaks, this year's team could certainly get to the Finals, and with a 3-1 lead against the Rangers, I was liking the opportunities that were ahead. And of course, now the Habs beat the Bruins and I would have really liked the Pens against them. Oh well, we'll see what next year brings.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens9192 on Thu May 15, 2014 3:51 pm

I had thought at least one more and another Finals appearance. With the core they have/had, how they were playing, and contract status I thought it was the start of a mini-dynasty.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Thu May 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Based on the rosters each of the last five years? As many as they have won: zilch.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Thu May 15, 2014 4:07 pm

None. It takes way too much luck to win a cup. Only one team finds that magic a year. Playing DA, The worst case scenario for this young core was to win one early. The hunger does not exist because they can always fall back on...we already won one.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 15, 2014 4:08 pm

IanMoran wrote:Crosby is going to be 27 next year. Malkin 28. Letang 27, turning 28 during season. These guys really only have 5ish more years left of prime hockey

Yzerman didn't win Cup #1 till he was 31.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby owtahear on Thu May 15, 2014 4:10 pm

After 2009's Cup run? I thought at least 2 more in the next 5 years.

THOUGH I said this, I thought in 2008 we peaked a little early because while the guys like Sid and Geno were still relative babies, you really inflated the contracts of some of the guys to keep like Orpik.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bdevido on Thu May 15, 2014 4:16 pm

how could you possibly say none and keep a straight face with the talent on this team? at least 1, if not 2 would have been my guess.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu May 15, 2014 4:41 pm

I Expected them to win atleast one, if not two more.. Still a possibility but they're getting older and will need more depth than they've had recently, aside from last year.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu May 15, 2014 4:44 pm

I expected one more..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 15, 2014 4:49 pm

bdevido wrote:how could you possibly say none and keep a straight face with the talent on this team? at least 1, if not 2 would have been my guess.

Because talent alone does not win Stanley Cups.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu May 15, 2014 9:18 pm

Chicago's likely to capture their 3rd recent cup this year. Had the Pens built properly, and made different coaching decisions we would have been competing neck and neck with them. It's a game of chance; and after DB won his first cup fresh into a new coaching start who would have guessed that his future playoff runs would be disastrous? Coaching change should have happened last summer; a lot of people were calling for it. When you don't make the finals with Crosby/Malkin/Iginla/Kunitz/Neal, something is wrong.

Combine that with some extremely bad injury luck, shaky and unpredictable goaltending (previously), and a team that went soff...hindsight is 20/20. That all being said, it's not too late provided the right pieces are added and the weak pieces both in management and on the roster are addressed. No doubt the time is dwindling now. There can't be a "4 year plan," for rebuilding. The window is closing quickly.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bdevido on Thu May 15, 2014 9:35 pm

blackhawks would have humiliated us last year and this year. oh wait, they did outdoors. not even close between that team and our team, not even close. regardless of what reason crosby was unhappy, you still go out and try your best and i didn't see that from him at all. give malkin the C.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu May 15, 2014 9:46 pm

This year should motivate the two stars. I would not be surprised one bit to see them win it next year.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:This year should motivate the two stars. I would not be surprised one bit to see them win it next year.

Haven't we been saying this for years?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Touche.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu May 15, 2014 10:01 pm

In 2009, it looked like the sky was the limit. The Pens seemed poised to own what was then still the new NHL. Just like the Pens appeared to be in 93. But not everything goes according to script.

Things changed. Other stars emerged around the league. Other teams became young and fast. Suddenly, the Pens had some peers. Officiating changed. The game evolved. Other teams recognized the Pens as a roadblock to success and built teams and systems to beat them. That's a challenge success brings.

Sid got hurt. Geno got hurt. MT's defensive identity faded. Players left.

None of this is remarkable. Winning is hard. One injury--one play--can derail a season for any team. Winning always brings burdens that makes further winning even harder.

If DB has been the problem all of these years, the Pens are still fortunate to have had him when they did because they won. MT was done here. We're lucky to have that experience as fans. One cup is worth 5 years of futility. And it's been pretty good futility, overall.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 am

I don't know about Cups, but I thought the 2009 team would at least be back to the Finals once or twice in the next 5 years. I didn't exactly expect the kind of gong show they've devolved into.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 1:04 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri May 16, 2014 2:54 am

At the very least, I would have expected a trip back to the finals within this timeframe.

Certainly wouldn't have expected 5 losses to a lower seed!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Fri May 16, 2014 7:52 am

bdevido wrote:blackhawks would have humiliated us last year and this year. oh wait, they did outdoors. not even close between that team and our team, not even close. regardless of what reason crosby was unhappy, you still go out and try your best and i didn't see that from him at all. give malkin the C.

:roll:

Yes giving Malkin the C will solve all of this teams issues from coaching, drafting, and desire of the players wanting to win.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins