The Pens last day with Media, as reported, with names

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Pens last day with Media, as reported, with names

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Enough of the tmz, frantic media style stuff. The PG did a great job of getting real information, with sources they posted (usually the player)

Beau Bennett
Was playing with injured wrist, will need surgery

Sidney Crosby
Said there was no disconnect between the players and Bylsma.
Felt the blame should be placed on the players.
Always expects rumors of negativity when the team does not win, no surprise to him
Will not participate in World Juniors
Understands the possibility of change because the players did not perform as they should
Apparently was completely healthy in the playoffs

Pascal Dupuis
Is confident that he will be ready to go at the start of next season.

Marc- Andre Fleury
Really hopes he can stay in Pittsburgh. Quoted, by Seth Rorabaugh, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, as saying “Its my team here”

Tanner Glass
Stated that Bylsma and the Penguins staff were one of the most prepared coaching staffs he has ever played for. Felt the failure of the Penguins had nothing to do with lack of preparation.

Jussi Jokinen
Had a wrist injury throughout playoffs, but does not think it will require surgery
Says Bylsma and the coaching staff was the best he’s ever played for
Wants to come back to Pittsburgh

Oilli Maatta
Declined opportunity to play for Finland at the World Championship

Evgeni Malkin
Going to participate in World championships

Brandon Sutter
Doesn’t feel the Pens have many huge issues, maybe just some little ones that need tinkered with.
Feels the Pens don't need sweeping changes
Admits some things might need shaken up, but that might just involve a change of mindset, not even necessarily people leaving
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: The Pens last day with Media, as reported, with names

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 9:25 pm

A lot of really good info there... Its nice to see the team really support their coach, and put the blame on themselves (even though DB will and should go most likey)

Also, eeek another Beau injury

Wow on Jokinen playing with an injury, sure didn't look like it

Why aren't we talking about these REAL reports rather than some 14 year old gossip reports that actually included "Sources saying" the coach's private conversation with his wife / speculating on the captain's private life
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu May 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Still can't understand why Crosby played like crap in the playoffs. Juicy may need surgery and he at least could put the puck in the net.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Thu May 15, 2014 9:29 pm

IanMoran wrote:A lot of really good info there... Its nice to see the team really support their coach, and put the blame on themselves (even though DB will and should go most likey)

Also, eeek another Beau injury

Wow on Jokinen playing with an injury, sure didn't look like it

Why aren't we talking about these REAL reports rather than some 14 year old gossip reports that actually included "Sources saying" the coach's private conversation with his wife / speculating on the captain's private life

It's why I read the PG and not the Trib. Sure, there are some hack job opinion columns there, too, but the opinion and rumor is usually contained to those columns, and not flowing more freely into the Sports "news" articles.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu May 15, 2014 9:32 pm

There's no reason for players to throw their coach under the bus. Besides, he seems I like a pretty decent guy....who needs to move on and learn from the experience.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby GDR on Thu May 15, 2014 9:35 pm

“People don't really understand the pressure we have here,” defenseman Kris Letang said. “Because we have the two best players, we have to win every year. You can't. We didn't.

“That doesn't make us a bad team, but I think that's what people say now. They say we need a lot of changes. So now I guess we'll see just like everybody else.”

That quote pisses me off. Kris, it's not that you lose, I think everybody accepts that a Cup is not going to happen every year - this isn't a video game, it's HOW YOU LOSE. Every year a flame out in spectacular fashion - two blown 3-1 leads, a collapse against Montreal, the circus against Philly, and total neutering by Boston. If you guys played your best and laid it all out there and just got beat, I can't speak for every Penguins' fan, but I personally would have no problem with it. You can't win every year, but you can try every year.

If you don't want pressure, then go play for the **** Panthers or some other lousy team. You guys should all be embracing the pressure because it means you're playing for a good team with expectations.
Last edited by GDR on Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Guess they held media day at Little Caesar's during the team pizza party. Letang must have just received his participation trophy before giving that quote.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 pm

I wouldnt mind Jussi hanging around.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 pm

All of the quotes that the OP cites are (to me, anyway) garbage, cookie cutter quotes and snippets that I don't give a rat's ass about.

And yes, Kris Letang's quote is gross and speaks to the immaturity and entitlement that seems to permeate their locker room.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 pm

IanMoran wrote:Why aren't we talking about these REAL reports rather than some 14 year old gossip reports that actually included "Sources saying" the coach's private conversation with his wife / speculating on the captain's private life

I want to read gossip from the year 2000. My cousin's former best friend reports that Jagr is dying alive.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 9:47 pm

GDR wrote:
“People don't really understand the pressure we have here,” defenseman Kris Letang said. “Because we have the two best players, we have to win every year. You can't. We didn't.

“That doesn't make us a bad team, but I think that's what people say now. They say we need a lot of changes. So now I guess we'll see just like everybody else.”

That quote pisses me off. Kris, it's not that you lose, I think everybody accepts that a Cup is not going to happen every year - this isn't a video game, it's HOW YOU LOSE. Every year a flame out in spectacular fashion - two blown 3-1 leads, a collapse against Montreal, the circus against Philly, and total neutering by Boston. If you guys played your best and laid it all out there and just got beat, I can't speak for every Penguins' fan, but I personally would have no problem with it. You can't win every year, but you can try every year.

If you don't want pressure, then go play for the **** Panthers or some other lousy team. You guys should all be embracing the pressure because it means you're playing for a good team with expectations.

Yea, Letang generally upsets me with his quotes. (this isn't the first time). So much skill, but idk, he's quite unlikable at times imo
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:All of the quotes that the OP cites are (to me, anyway) garbage, cookie cutter quotes and snippets that I don't give a rat's ass about.

And yes, Kris Letang's quote is gross and speaks to the immaturity and entitlement that seems to permeate their locker room.

Some can be viewed that way, but I think some go beyond that... I think Jokinen calling db the best coach he ever had goes beyond how he could have just PC the question
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 15, 2014 9:52 pm

I think you'd need to look at who Jussi's coaches have been before judgement can be passed on the quote.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I think you'd need to look at who Jussi's coaches have been before judgement can be passed on the quote.

At the NHL level:
Dave Tippet
John Tortorella
Barry Melrose (ok, ok, on that one lol)
Rick Tocchet
Paul Maurice
Kirk Muller

Who knows his coaches at other levels
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu May 15, 2014 10:02 pm

I admire his courage in coming back from a stroke, but I really hope Kris Letang has played his last game as a Penguin.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 10:03 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:I admire his courage in coming back from a stroke, but I really hope Kris Letang has played his last game as a Penguin.

While I'm a strong Letang hater.. I thought he looked good when with PM (who doesn't though)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 15, 2014 10:06 pm

IanMoran wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:I admire his courage in coming back from a stroke, but I really hope Kris Letang has played his last game as a Penguin.

While I'm a strong Letang hater.. I thought he looked good when with PM (who doesn't though)

Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Beveridge wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

:thumb:
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Thu May 15, 2014 10:14 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:All of the quotes that the OP cites are (to me, anyway) garbage, cookie cutter quotes and snippets that I don't give a rat's ass about.

I have a hard time processing that a professional athlete actually said that. Certainly not the mentality of a winner at the top level. I hope that's his opinion and his alone and I certainly hope that's not what anyone above him is saying to rationalize the last several years.

These quotes make me nervous that we are going to go status quo next season. More small forwards, more guys who don't fit, a system that can't do jack, and an idiot behind the bench.

Serious question... we see how much Pens reporters complain about how the Pens completely control their brand and the messaging around it. Do we think the players are being told how to respond to these questions? Are they just canned answers? Or do they not believe that what has happened is an issue?

Effort level and not competing is more than a minor adjustment.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 pm

IanMoran wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I think you'd need to look at who Jussi's coaches have been before judgement can be passed on the quote.

At the NHL level:
Dave Tippet
John Tortorella
Barry Melrose (ok, ok, on that one lol)
Rick Tocchet
Paul Maurice
Kirk Muller

Who knows his coaches at other levels

I mean, it's probably all personal opinion for him on it (so it doesn't really matter what I say/think), but I *think* I recall him saying he wasn't too happy during his time with the Lightning. They weren't really giving him good minutes (similar to his situation with Carolina last year). Perhaps he was happy with Bylsma because he was given a chance to play, and to play with Malkin? This was, statistically, his best regular season since 09-10 under Paul Maurice and his best playoffs, PPG-wise (10 P in 13 G. Highest point total since he had 11 in 18 in 08-09).

I don't blame the guy for being happy to be given the chance to play, and he definitely took the role and ran with it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 15, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm no fan of the Trib sports coverage or their writers but I find it increasingly frustrating that every "negative" rumor about the team, coaches and issues typically gets shot down in eventually dramatic fashion. It's such an overly protected team.

Some of things have to be true, it's freaking professional sports. Deep down its actually ok to have a disconnect between players and coaches at times, it happens. I mean we have a vine of Sid visibly upset and flat out annoyed, chirping at Bylsma. I have never seen a team try to cover up every little detail like these guys. It's just not realistic. There was clearly something wrong. At this point the Pens propaganda and the Trib rumor blogs are on equal footing.

As for Letangs quote, awful. I agree with the above poster and have said for years now:
It's NOT losing. It's how they lose. Fans are frustrated with how this team plays, not just the results.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 pm

I can't say i completely disagree with Letang's quote. Now that the shock about the end of the season has worn off for me. There is an unnecessary amount of pressure on the Penguins. Yeah they've blown a 3-1 lead. Yeah they have flamed out.

Why isn't Boston freaking out and we're hearing about seismic changes there? Couple years ago the Bs blew a 3-0 lead! Remember how great the Bs looked last year, never thought the Pens would ever beat them again, and they only reached the same level of success the Pens did.

The Pens need a mind set change where they just put their best foot forward and do the right things to win. You may or may not, but, at least you did the best.

The fans need perspective too. We're spoiled here. Do you really think they can win every year? It only took, what, from 1992 to 2009 to win it all again?
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 15, 2014 10:50 pm

I think fans could live with one blown playoff series or sporadic issues. For the most part these other teams have shown certain levels of compete or competency, or at the very least dropping the arrogance, recognizing issues and addressing them.

For example. Detroit has had poor playoff results but when I have watched them the past 5 years they look well coached, structured and motivated even in losses. I enjoy watching them play. In game 7 Boston had chance after chance. They didn't look horrible, they just didn't win.

There is something unique about these Pens and recent losses.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu May 15, 2014 11:14 pm

The only thing dumb about what Letang said was his honesty. He would be better served to handle the media like Sid does. You're basically asking him to talk down to you like a child like Sid does. I miss Tommy's quotes.

Letang would not be able to be a professional hockey player near the top of his sport if he was unable to put his season and career in proper perspective: Successful. Especially because, you know, he still has career.. after what happened.

I doubt many, if any, of his errors had malicious intent. It's not like he was going out and playing what someone like me calls wrong for the purpose of doing so. My point is, from his POV, the Pens haven't been going out and playing the wrong way every spring, even if that's our opinion.

Someone should compile a list of addresses so each of the Pens can apologize to us individually. I would like them to include a paragraph indicating what they plan to do to improve next year.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Thu May 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Again... it's not that they lose.

It's how they lose.

I don't care if the Pens lose (though it kinda sucks, but it happens; 31 teams lose in the end). I care if they get outworked, outmuscled, out-efforted. If they play stupid or just go through the motions. Things they control.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins