The Pens last day with Media, as reported, with names

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Pens last day with Media, as reported, with names

Postby owtahear on Tue May 20, 2014 9:45 pm

GDR wrote:
“People don't really understand the pressure we have here,” defenseman Kris Letang said. “Because we have the two best players, we have to win every year. You can't. We didn't.

“That doesn't make us a bad team, but I think that's what people say now. They say we need a lot of changes. So now I guess we'll see just like everybody else.”

That quote pisses me off. Kris, it's not that you lose, I think everybody accepts that a Cup is not going to happen every year - this isn't a video game, it's HOW YOU LOSE. Every year a flame out in spectacular fashion - two blown 3-1 leads, a collapse against Montreal, the circus against Philly, and total neutering by Boston. If you guys played your best and laid it all out there and just got beat, I can't speak for every Penguins' fan, but I personally would have no problem with it. You can't win every year, but you can try every year.

If you don't want pressure, then go play for the **** Panthers or some other lousy team. You guys should all be embracing the pressure because it means you're playing for a good team with expectations.

2010 Up 3-2 against the Canadians in the 2nd rd. Lose games 6 and 7. After back to back trips to the SCF's and a Cup, plus the Olympics, team was given a pass as being tired and this was understandable.
2011. No Sid. No Geno. But again, up 3-1 against Tampa Bay and lost a game 7.
2012. Just came off the rails against the Flyers in all ways, down 3-0, avoided a sweep but nonetheless an embarrassing out in Rd 1.
2013. Swept out of the Eastern Conference Finals by the Bruins.
2014. Lost in the second rd to the Rangers after having a 3-1 lead and the Rangers looking dead.

That is not just "not winning" every year, that is a lack of character and killer instinct by this group, Changes had to come.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Tue May 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Here's the stuff I would LOVE to find out. These are the issues that likely none of us will ever find out. We can speculate, we can slivers of rumors + information, but there is obvious "stuff" there. These are the Big Five inside the room issues.

1) What was the issue with Bylsma? Is there? Of course we get the canned answers to questions not blaming Disco, defending Disco, but then here how Crosby and Geno among others basically didn't like playing for him. What is the truth here?

2) Sid. Obviously. Why in the last 5 elimination games he has played he has ZERO Goals, ZERO Assists and a -6 rating? Why did he look so passive and pensive this playoff? Why did he cut shifts short, and looked generally disinterested? What was wrong with him? Physical? I don't think so. Mental? Emotional? Trust? What??

3) How bad of a teammate is James Neal really? Every media member mentions him as trade bait right away. A lot of them mention how his absence would "improve the room". It is so prevalent that it is more than Rossi rumors, there is too much smoke for there not to be fire.

4) Who are the real leaders here? Who do guys gravitate to when times are tough? Who do they look to? Who is respected? Not just the obvious lipservice answers. For example, in the 90's, the team knew Mario was their meal ticket and acted accordingly. We haven't seen the same with Sid. Why?

5) What is the organization's real view on Marc Andre Fleury? Did he do enough to convince ownership and the guys in the room that he can be a guy counted on to win the cup. He was good this year, he was solid in the playoffs, but another series where a goalie bested him. He is nowhere close to the reason why they lost to the Rangers. But again, he was outplayed by another goalie.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 am

If they players are saying that it is NOT the coaches that are the problem, then they are (not) saying that it is some of the players that are the problem. If some of the players are the problem then that needs to be fixed. You fix player problems by getting rid of the players that are the problems. The only players with that kind of influence are the top guys... so you have to take a HARD look at your top handful and make some really tough decisions.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins