Were you aware of the pending Cap issues?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Were you aware of the pending Cap issues?

Postby MarioLives on Fri May 16, 2014 8:40 am

I thought they were going to have a lot of money to spend when the cap went up next year? It looks like they are in real trouble. How can you sign 9 players with 16 million left of cap room?

"The cap ceiling for 2014-15 is expected to be around $71 million; at this point, the Penguins have about $55 million invested in 14 players — seven forwards, five defensemen and two goalies — who project onto the major-league roster this fall.

That includes these cap hits: Evgeni Malkin ($9.5 million), Sidney Crosby ($8.7 million), Kris Letang ($7.25 million), James Neal ($5 million), Paul Martin ($5 million) and Marc-Andre Fleury ($5 million).

Shero, or his successor, will have around $16 million to fill as many as nine roster spots, and that bankroll will shrink considerably when restricted free-agent center Brandon Sutter gets a deal to replace the one that carried a $2,066,667 cap hit."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... z31sj4hfdA
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Were you aware of the pending Cap issues?

Postby GeoTank on Fri May 16, 2014 8:43 am

Sorry to add salt to your wound but some reports say it will only be $68mill
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 16, 2014 9:05 am

Add also an overpaid and aging Kunitz and Dupuis
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:07 am

Precisely why Neal and Letang must go. Letang is highly, highly skilled, but he often doesn't play to his skill level. At his cap hit, he's a luxury that the Penguins just can't afford. As for Neal, he's grown into a one-dimensional, dependent sniper. $5 million might be the going rate for him, but I'd rather see a guy who scores fewer pretty goals, but plays in all three zones and doesn't miss a lot of ice time due to suspensions and penalties.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri May 16, 2014 9:12 am

Defence21 wrote:Precisely why Neal and Letang must go. Letang is highly, highly skilled, but he often doesn't play to his skill level. At his cap hit, he's a luxury that the Penguins just can't afford. As for Neal, he's grown into a one-dimensional, dependent sniper. $5 million might be the going rate for him, but I'd rather see a guy who scores fewer pretty goals, but plays in all three zones and doesn't miss a lot of ice time due to suspensions and penalties.

This!
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri May 16, 2014 9:14 am

Good luck replacing Neal with anything less than $7 million to overcome his perceived short comings. Same with Letang.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Fri May 16, 2014 9:15 am

Maybe Shero does need to go. They are so top heavy, they will have a hard time with any quality depth
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 16, 2014 9:21 am

I think that anyone that followed these contracts knew there would be cap issues. I don't think it's anything new at all.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri May 16, 2014 9:21 am

Yeah, it might be $68. And it's to signing the equivalent of a few more guys with non LTIR injuries, call ups, deadline deals and such.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 am

DelPen wrote:Good luck replacing Neal with anything less than $7 million to overcome his perceived short comings. Same with Letang.

Why "perceived?"

The guy can't create on his own - that should be pretty obvious. When he first came to the team he had that long streak of doing nothing, but he was playing a well-rounded game, doing all the other things right. You saw a little bit of that in the playoffs once Malkin got moved with Crosby, but it's been far too long where he hasn't done much but get in the right spot to score goals in the regular season.

I'd be more inclined to keep Neal with a new coach though, because he has more to offer with a smaller cap hit as compared to Letang. Love Letang, hate to see him go, but he could bring back a mighty haul and really help balance out the team. Besides, the hole on D that he leaves behind might be less noticed with a more well-balanced forward group in front of him playing good team defence. Win-win, really. Depending what you get back from a Letang trade, you might get lucky on a Nisky resign if he's willing to take a big discount.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:24 am

I'm pretty sure that it has been mentioned in the other 4-5 threads about changes that we need.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am

If another GM wants to put screws to us, they could offer sheet Sutter. Its definitely time to promote 2 of the young D. Two of Dumolin, Samuelsson, Harrington, Despres etc al. need to play whole season as most of their cap hits are under a mil. Despres might cross over a mil. being a rfa. Ideally 3 of them would be on roster.
I'd really like to see what Trotz could do with our D.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 16, 2014 9:34 am

Yes, I was aware. And the situation isn't pretty. They're going to need to spend at least $3.5M on a LW for Malkin's line, whether that's by re-signing Jokinen or chasing another UFA. They're probably going to have to spend around the same on a 2nd pairing defenseman because there's no way they can rely on Scuderi in that role. Tack on another $3.0M to re-sign Sutter, and you're left with about $6M for 3 forwards and a defenseman. The problem with those numbers is that they are on the lower end of the spectrum.

CapGeek's payrolls for next season do a pretty good job of showing why it's going to be such a challenge. The Pens have the third lowest "$/Opening" (based on a 23-man roster) in the league at $1.78M per opening (9 spots); only the Blackhawks (~$1.25M per opening, 3 spots) and the Flyers (~$1.09M per opening, 6 spots) are lower. Now for the difficult part - there are 12 teams with over twice the "$/Opening" as the Pens, which includes some good teams like St Louis, Minnesota, Nashville, Ottawa, Colorado, Detroit, Phoenix, Anaheim, and Washington.

In other words, there are a lot of teams with a lot of money to throw at free agents. That means prices will be up, making it even harder for the Pens to fill their needs.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 16, 2014 9:35 am

An offer sheet for Sutter would about as much put screws to the Pens as those sanctions against Russia put the screws to Putin. If some GM is willing to overpay and give up several draft picks for a 3rd line center (a very good one, mind), he's only screwing himself.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 16, 2014 9:36 am

ville5 wrote:If another GM wants to put screws to us, they could offer sheet Sutter. Its definitely time to promote 2 of the young D. Two of Dumolin, Samuelsson, Harrington, Despres etc al. need to play whole season as most of their cap hits are under a mil. Despres might cross over a mil. being a rfa. Ideally 3 of them would be on roster.
I'd really like to see what Trotz could do with our D.

Despres isn't even under contract for next season. The only good news is that he's an RFA so the Pens can match any offer sheet he might receive. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with Dumoulin or Samuelsson being a full timer next season. I think they have the potential to in the future, moreso Dumoulin than Samuelsson, but I didn't see anything that said "ready" in their stints this season. I'm a big Harrington fan and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he stepped up next season, but he hasn't even played an NHL game yet so it's hard to pencil him into the starting lineup.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:38 am

DelPen wrote:Good luck replacing Neal with anything less than $7 million to overcome his perceived short comings. Same with Letang.

I'm not sure I buy that. I'm not suggesting either Neal or Letang are "replaced" laterally. But rather the money is used more wisely. I don't need a home run/strike out defenseman like Letang who was so vital to this team that the power play was #1 without him for a large chunk of the season, and when he returned was quickly taken off the top power play unit. I'm not advoating keeping Niskanen, but at $4 or $5 million, he brings more to the table consistently than Letang does. Letang has much, much more skill -- but he's so inconsistent.

Anyway, I suppose my point is that the $12+ million on these guys might be able to turn into 3 or 4 players, none of whom do what they do, but all of whom do what the Penguins need: play hard, play consistent. Depth was an issue with this team and will be even more so next year. This is the only way to spread the wealth.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 16, 2014 9:39 am

Gaucho wrote:An offer sheet for Sutter would about as much put screws to the Pens as those sanctions against Russia put the screws to Putin. If some GM is willing to overpay and give up several draft picks for a 3rd line center (a very good one, mind), he's only screwing himself.

I can't see a GM giving Sutter a big enough offer sheet to truly screw the Pens, but I could see him getting one for up to $3.5M (2nd round pick) if he isn't signed before July 1. Anything over $3.0M is likely in the danger zone for the Pens.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri May 16, 2014 9:42 am

Am I the only one who believes that a change of coach (philosophy) and a rougher/tougher bottom 6 is all that is needed?

I know it is not that easy, but it seems a lot more feasible than trying to move Letang and/or Neal.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 16, 2014 9:43 am

I think Neal at $5 is fine. The Letang contract was and always will be a headscratcher considering the wealth of D prospects.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Fri May 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Add also an overpaid and aging Kunitz and Dupuis

Just... no.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri May 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think Neal at $5 is fine. The Letang contract was and always will be a headscratcher considering the wealth of D prospects.

Neal's in a state of limbo in his career, not sure what kind of player he can be or is supposed to be. I don't think he's got the knack for being a power forward; he doesn't like to hit and forecheck. He COULD do that, and probably very well at that, but he works so well as a trigger man with Malkin that it makes sense there.

I don't care one way or another if he comes back. I love that shot, but his total-ice awareness is... not good.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Fri May 16, 2014 12:33 pm

OH MY GOD....PENDING CAP ISSUES?!?!?!
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 16, 2014 12:42 pm

wondermoose wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Add also an overpaid and aging Kunitz and Dupuis

Just... no.

Really? Dupuis off a major injury in his mid 30's, Kunitz that isn't physical at all anymore(used to be his only value in the playoffs) in his mid 30's. Both contracts are a year too long.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins