News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby knives of ice on Sat May 17, 2014 8:45 pm

DelPen wrote:
knives of ice wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Craig Patrick was the best in the business at one time also. Times change.



not even comparable. that's ridiculous.


You mean it would have been like firing CP after the 2001 loss in NJ or maybe even the 1996 loss vs Florida?

Or are you saying CP was never on par with Shero?



sorry, yes of course i am talking about the timing of the firings.

although i am really upset that shero was fired it does still please me that this ownership wants to win more than anything. i disagree with their methods but greatly respect their goals.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,782
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby no name on Sat May 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Is it possible ownership told Shero you are staying and fire Bylsma?? Shero said "no he is my guy for coach if I stay he is staying as head coach" Ownership says, "your fired" Then ownership was taken over by Aliens and the Aliens insisted that we keep Dan B as coach, since Dan is actually the Aliens leader??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,054
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby knives of ice on Sat May 17, 2014 11:49 pm

knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,782
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 18, 2014 8:20 am

knives of ice wrote:excellent blog post by Yohe

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/20 ... z31zrHscAP


Good stuff. We oozed talent up until this year, when the cap dropped unexpectedly. Seems like the GM did his job.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,837
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 8:40 am

Shero is an excellent GM, but he made the mistake of keeping Bylsma after last year. It's only one mistake, but it's a big one. If he had let him go and hired Jacques Martin as HC, perhaps the Pens would still be playing and he'd still be the GM.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,314
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby DelPen on Sun May 18, 2014 9:28 am

shmenguin wrote:
knives of ice wrote:excellent blog post by Yohe

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/20 ... z31zrHscAP


Good stuff. We oozed talent up until this year, when the cap dropped unexpectedly. Seems like the GM did his job.


Did he sign Scuderi before or after there were at least solid numbers indicating the cap was dropping? The ONLY reason we were able to keep either Niskanen or Jokinen last year was because Vokoun wnet LTIR. It's a scary thought to remove one of those two from the lineup last year and even more so in the playoffs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby sniper on Sun May 18, 2014 9:40 am

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
knives of ice wrote:excellent blog post by Yohe

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/20 ... z31zrHscAP


Good stuff. We oozed talent up until this year, when the cap dropped unexpectedly. Seems like the GM did his job.


Did he sign Scuderi before or after there were at least solid numbers indicating the cap was dropping? The ONLY reason we were able to keep either Niskanen or Jokinen last year was because Vokoun wnet LTIR. It's a scary thought to remove one of those two from the lineup last year and even more so in the playoffs.


Pretty sure it was before because we were thinking Niskanen or Jokinen would have to be traded. Now everyone would love for Scuderi to be traded so we can keep one of those two. Bylsma and signing Scuderi were Shero's biggest mistakes. I say let's see where Ray ends up and then give him a call and say hey Ray you remember what you said about Rob last offseason...well he's available again. :D
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,245
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 18, 2014 9:47 am

He messed up this year. Keeping bylsma, not trading letang last summer, signing scuderi, not putting our best players on the ice. But prior to this year he was just about as good as it gets.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,837
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby the wicked child on Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:He messed up this year. Keeping bylsma, not trading letang last summer, signing scuderi, not putting our best players on the ice. But prior to this year he was just about as good as it gets.

I generally agree, although his drafting left a bit to be desired.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,745
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun May 18, 2014 12:40 pm

shmenguin wrote:He messed up this year. Keeping bylsma, not trading letang last summer, signing scuderi, not putting our best players on the ice. But prior to this year he was just about as good as it gets.


I agree. If not, no one would have bothered coining the phrase "In Shero We Trust."

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,643
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 18, 2014 1:13 pm

the wicked child wrote:
shmenguin wrote:He messed up this year. Keeping bylsma, not trading letang last summer, signing scuderi, not putting our best players on the ice. But prior to this year he was just about as good as it gets.

I generally agree, although his drafting left a bit to be desired.


True. Though people in the know say that he has little to do with scouting. But he hires the scouts, so there's that.

But he did a good enough job that I think Burkle and Lemieux seem a little foolish or at least shortsighted in their depiction of his actions. The guy who got fired seems like he has his head on straight more than the guys who fired him at the moment. This leaves me concerned.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,837
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I think he did a good enough job that he was able to convince Burkle and Mario to keep Bylsma after last year, despite their huge reservations about doing so.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,314
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby bhaw on Sun May 18, 2014 1:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
shmenguin wrote:He messed up this year. Keeping bylsma, not trading letang last summer, signing scuderi, not putting our best players on the ice. But prior to this year he was just about as good as it gets.

I generally agree, although his drafting left a bit to be desired.


True. Though people in the know say that he has little to do with scouting. But he hires the scouts, so there's that.

But he did a good enough job that I think Burkle and Lemieux seem a little foolish or at least shortsighted in their depiction of his actions. The guy who got fired seems like he has his head on straight more than the guys who fired him at the moment. This leaves me concerned.


Well, if you are picking on the player choice, the scouting thing makes sense. But if you are talking about the fact that there are no forwards in the system, that's more along the lines of strategy.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby bhaw on Sun May 18, 2014 4:18 pm

One of the interesting tidbits out of the interview:

When J Martin was brought in, it was a decision where people thought it was an indictment on the job DB had done and his inability to put together a system that is successful.

The DB supports countered with the fact that the coach picks his assistants, so it meant nothing about how the GM or above felt about DB. It was actually used to support how smart DB was to bring a guy like Martin in.

Well, facts are out and Martin was definitely NOT DB's decision (sounds like it was Ray's decision, but not his idea). He was there to babysit because ownership was not comfortable with the job DB had done and Shero's decision to bring him back. Guess DB wasn't that smart and that he's really wasn't doing such an awesome job. The whole "he was picked to coach team USA, so what do you know?" argument is out the window.

Just wanted to point that out since many people were attacked and talked down to for floating the idea that Martin was a negative indication about how the organization felt about DB.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 4:38 pm

The difference between the first-half-of-the-season Penguins, when they were using the leftwing lock, and the second-half-of-the-season Penguins, when they were barely above .500, is astounding. I'm assuming that J. Richard's defensive schemes were incorporated in the first half, but what happened in the second half? Did DB try to blend Richard's system with his own, and the blend proved to be unsuccessful, or did an open split happen between the two, and DB just totally jettisoned Richard's system? Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall in the coaches' offices this year.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,314
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Gaucho on Sun May 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Maybe the players decided that the LWL wasn't fun enough.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,557
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Maybe the layers could coach the team by committee. And LGPers could serve as GM by committee. That would be a sure recipe for success.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,314
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Maybe the players could coach the team by committee. And LGPers could serve as GM by committee. That would be a sure recipe for success.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,314
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 6:04 pm

#&%@! iPhone!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,314
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 pm

bhaw wrote:One of the interesting tidbits out of the interview:

When J Martin was brought in, it was a decision where people thought it was an indictment on the job DB had done and his inability to put together a system that is successful.

The DB supports countered with the fact that the coach picks his assistants, so it meant nothing about how the GM or above felt about DB. It was actually used to support how smart DB was to bring a guy like Martin in.

Well, facts are out and Martin was definitely NOT DB's decision (sounds like it was Ray's decision, but not his idea). He was there to babysit because ownership was not comfortable with the job DB had done and Shero's decision to bring him back. Guess DB wasn't that smart and that he's really wasn't doing such an awesome job. The whole "he was picked to coach team USA, so what do you know?" argument is out the window.

Just wanted to point that out since many people were attacked and talked down to for floating the idea that Martin was a negative indication about how the organization felt about DB.


I can't believe anyone could have ever interpreted the Martin signing any other way. But then again, some people are addicted to being the vocal minority.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,837
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby bhaw on Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Any other way from what? I presented both sides so I'm not sure which way you're talking about.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun May 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Rabble rabble rabble...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,460
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Chino Moreno Likes Toast!

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 pm

bhaw wrote:Any other way from what? I presented both sides so I'm not sure which way you're talking about.


No worries, I'm agreeing with you.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,837
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby bhaw on Sun May 18, 2014 11:48 pm

shmenguin wrote:
bhaw wrote:Any other way from what? I presented both sides so I'm not sure which way you're talking about.


No worries, I'm agreeing with you.


Figured as much :thumb:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby ville5 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:10 am

I still can't believe Bob McKenzie was wrong. WTF is this world coming to?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,764
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurghThing and 21 guests


e-mail