News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: News Conf. Scheduled for 11:30 am - Only Shero fired

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 19, 2014 11:16 am

Where is Ray and Dan? Why no quotes or sightings?
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon May 19, 2014 11:18 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby llipgh2 on Mon May 19, 2014 11:21 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Where is Ray and Dan? Why no quotes or sightings?

Josh Yohe tweeted he exchanged texts with FGMRS. Said Shero is in good spirits and is looking forward to the future.

Dan is in hiding somewhere... :scared:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Mon May 19, 2014 11:22 am

No idea, but I live across the street from where the Capitals practice/front office is, so if I spot Shero as I'm walking home from work, I'll ask stop him and ask him why in the heck he signed Scuderi.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GDR on Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 am

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
Agent Pat Brisson has decided to remain in the agent business and will not be pursuing the PIT GM job.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GeoTank on Mon May 19, 2014 11:55 am

GDR wrote:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
Agent Pat Brisson has decided to remain in the agent business and will not be pursuing the PIT GM job.

really can we trust this now???
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens9192 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

DB probably is on vacation to avoid all this circus/get his mind off things. Probably talking to his agent too. Does anyone know if he talked to the players at all after Game 7? I know Mike Tomlin has exit interviews with each player when their season is done.

When Shero was fired, was his last day Friday and had to clean out his office that day or was he given a few days? Interesting, I always wondered how that worked in the sports world.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 pm

On saturday eve, Jory Rand said that up until 30 mins prior to friday press conference, penguin sources told outlets that both GM and head coach being let go. Hence Bob McKenzie's tweet... he is always accurate.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 19, 2014 12:21 pm

pens9192 wrote:DB probably is on vacation to avoid all this circus/get his mind off things. Probably talking to his agent too. Does anyone know if he talked to the players at all after Game 7? I know Mike Tomlin has exit interviews with each player when their season is done.

When Shero was fired, was his last day Friday and had to clean out his office that day or was he given a few days? Interesting, I always wondered how that worked in the sports world.

Would think HCDB player exit interviews would have been on locker clean-out day.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm

I'm assuming they dont' want to talk to the media right now, and probably won't until either a) DB gets fired, or gets the nod he is going to be here next year, or b) Shero gets hired.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon May 19, 2014 12:27 pm

penny lane wrote:On saturday eve, Jory Rand said that up until 30 mins prior to friday press conference, penguin sources told outlets that both GM and head coach being let go. Hence Bob McKenzie's tweet... he is always accurate.

The only time I have seen what he and probably Dregger tweet turn out wrong was this and the Iginla trade and in both cases everyone at that given time would ahve confirmed both. Not his fault someone got cold feet at the last minute and didn't fire Bylsma too like they should have.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon May 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Pens didn't light 'em up up up
Light 'em up up up
Light 'em up up up
So Ray got Fi-Yaaaaaaaaaaaahed.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon May 19, 2014 12:35 pm

DelPen wrote:
penny lane wrote:On saturday eve, Jory Rand said that up until 30 mins prior to friday press conference, penguin sources told outlets that both GM and head coach being let go. Hence Bob McKenzie's tweet... he is always accurate.

The only time I have seen what he and probably Dregger tweet turn out wrong was this and the Iginla trade and in both cases everyone at that given time would ahve confirmed both. Not his fault someone got cold feet at the last minute and didn't fire Bylsma too like they should have.

Why source out to the press the information that you are about to have a press conference on? Wouldn't the sourcing out the info basically negate the need for the conference then?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GDR on Mon May 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Eismann wrote:Pens didn't light 'em up up up
Light 'em up up up
Light 'em up up up
So Ray got Fi-Yaaaaaaaaaaaahed.

:thumb:
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens9192 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 pm

relantel wrote:
pens9192 wrote:DB probably is on vacation to avoid all this circus/get his mind off things. Probably talking to his agent too. Does anyone know if he talked to the players at all after Game 7? I know Mike Tomlin has exit interviews with each player when their season is done.

Would think HCDB player exit interviews would have been on locker clean-out day.

Yeah that makes sense, but reports (who knows if true) said that Bylsma was no where to be found in the locker room area that day but was at Consol and left at 5PM. I thought at the time he was hiding out/cleaning out his office because he was told he had been fired and didn't want to talk to any media. Imagine if the players were told that DB was gone and then found out with the rest of us that he is still the coach for now? Bizarre.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Jim wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Why source out to the press the information that you are about to have a press conference on? Wouldn't the sourcing out the info basically negate the need for the conference then?

You would think, but it happens all the time, including at the national level with the President. I never quite understood it.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon May 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Wouldn't be surprising to see the Pens ask for compensation from a team. He has 2 years left on his contract. I'm sure the Pens would much rather someone "trade" for DB and assume the contract as opposed to having to cut a check...either way it will be settled sooner then later I"m sure...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nuge on Mon May 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Jim wrote:
DelPen wrote:

You would think, but it happens all the time, including at the national level with the President. I never quite understood it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_balloon
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Tue May 20, 2014 10:10 am

From Rossi's latest blog post:
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/20 ... z32GUIedzu

>> Head coach Dan Bylsma is said to have expressed his displeasure to ownership about the situation that finds him employed but unlikely to be retained. Ownership is said to have understood his concern, but remained unwilling to let him out of his contract.
Bylsma wants to coach somewhere next season. He is said not to be interested in another job with within the organization. His salary, over $2 million, would seemingly make him overpaid for anything other than head coach or team executive.

npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue May 20, 2014 10:15 am

Signing a super agent as GM would be awesome. Let the coaches and hockey minds tell you who to get. Then, have the agent get you favorable contracts. That's the key to winning in the cap era. Too bad it doesn't look like it is going to happen.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thielraven on Tue May 20, 2014 10:18 am

Things will be mearky for awhile for the pens... until this Friday
thielraven
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue May 20, 2014 10:32 am

npv708 wrote:From Rossi's latest blog post:

>> Head coach Dan Bylsma is said to have expressed his displeasure to ownership about the situation that finds him employed but unlikely to be retained. Ownership is said to have understood his concern, but remained unwilling to let him out of his contract.
Bylsma wants to coach somewhere next season. He is said not to be interested in another job with within the organization. His salary, over $2 million, would seemingly make him overpaid for anything other than head coach or team executive.

Deal with it Dan. The pens know Dan is a good coach, but simply does not work with the team we have. I think the last thing the pens want is for him to go to Washington and turn things around there. I am not sure why that is viewed as being an unfair thing.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue May 20, 2014 10:33 am

Payback for scratching Despres too often.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DelPen on Tue May 20, 2014 10:51 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:

Deal with it Dan. The pens know Dan is a good coach, but simply does not work with the team we have. I think the last thing the pens want is for him to go to Washington and turn things around there. I am not sure why that is viewed as being an unfair thing.

This team is a **** mess. Burkle and Lemieux both said any of the coaches can explore other options right now. Pretty sure moorehouse alluded to it too.

Only thing I can think of is he needs to ask out of his contract right now to take another position then the Pens don't need to pay him. So it's really all about money?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue May 20, 2014 10:55 am

DelPen wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

This team is a **** mess. Burkle and Lemieux both said any of the coaches can explore other options right now. Pretty sure moorehouse alluded to it too.

Only thing I can think of is he needs to ask out of his contract right now to take another position then the Pens don't need to pay him. So it's really all about money?

Why is that looked at in a negative way? But maybe it is all about money. I would not want to pay someone 2-4 million if i there was a way out of it... contract or not.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins