Sid v. Geno

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If you were starting a team, which would you prefer to have?

Crosby
32
44%
Malkin
40
56%
 
Total votes : 72

Sid v. Geno

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Thought I'd try making a "fun" thread with all this "fire x, hire y" stuff going on in LGP.


Essentially, if you were starting a team, today, which one would you prefer to have? Just imagine all players in the NHL became free agents and you're forced (because you're a Penguins fan) to choose one of these two.






Personally, I'd go Malkin (hurrdurr, no surprise here). Even though he does seem a bit more injury prone, his size is such an advantage in playoff hockey. Not to mention, Crosby's concussion history is quite alarming as another cheap shot to the head could keep him out for expectedly a year plus.









and keep in mind that we will be trading the loser of this poll for all four Staals
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,423
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri May 16, 2014 1:33 pm

If I'm starting a team today, I need a face for the franchise to sell tickets/merchandise etc. Sid is that guy. Malkin doesn't want that, and is happy to let Sid do it.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Penspal on Fri May 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I'd take Malkin. It would result in a worse regular season team standing, but when it comes to the time it counts, the playoffs, Malkin has been more consistent than Sid.

Granted Malkin has benefitted from Sid having the tougher "D" matchups, but Geno seems more money right now after watching Sid struggle in the playoffs.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,499
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Penspal wrote:I'd take Malkin. It would result in a worse regular season team standing, but when it comes to the time it counts, the playoffs, Malkin has been more consistent than Sid.


Not really.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,407
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby slipshod on Fri May 16, 2014 1:39 pm

I didn't even hesitate. I've said Malkin for years and I'm not changing now.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:17 am

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 1:40 pm

This whole poll seems incredibly short-sighted...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,407
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby headh on Fri May 16, 2014 1:40 pm

At one point Sid was able to play at a high level in the playoffs despite his lack of size. Apparently that time is gone now.

Geno won a Conn Smyth and was putting together another high point total this playoff.

I'd say right now for some reason Geno appears to be able to excel in the playoffs while Sid is obviously less than
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby SpinnerSpencer on Fri May 16, 2014 1:43 pm

I'd take neither.... I go with Brian Gibbons, do you see how fast he skates and gives 110% effort...
SpinnerSpencer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:40 pm

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 1:43 pm

MRandall25 wrote:This whole poll seems incredibly short-sighted...


why do you say such things?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,423
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Because people are asking "What have you done for me lately", rather than looking at the body of work.

Honestly, before the playoffs started, this poll would've been heavily in Crosby's favor. I don't see why an off 13 games would suddenly change the fact Crosby has been better, and not just in the playoffs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,407
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 1:51 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't see why an off 13 games would suddenly change the fact Crosby has been better, and not just in the playoffs.


Because the last 13 games were hugely important (playoffs, brah) and Crosby was disturbingly deficient both offensively and defensively while claiming to be fully healthy.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,423
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 1:58 pm

So 13 games negates everything else?

OK.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,407
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 2:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:So 13 games negates everything else?

OK.


It's not Crosby vs. Jokinen, it's Crosby vs. Malkin who's arguably been a better playoff performer anyway.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,423
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Kovy27 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Sid and it isn't even close.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,611
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Sid and it isn't even close.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,555
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Pitts on Fri May 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Where's the option for "MacKinnon?"
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,687
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Crankshaft on Fri May 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Pitts wrote:Where's the option for "MacKinnon?"


You mean the idoit40fans option?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,275
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby headh on Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm

MRandall25 wrote:So 13 games negates everything else?

OK.



A person's ability to perform when intensity is heightened is significant. There was a time when 87 rose to the occasion. That seems like a distant memory. I don't know why or what has changed but something is different. He needs to show that he has overcome
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Gabe on Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Sid. If anyone has the name recognition in the NHL, it is Sidney Crosby. Like him, hate him, or whatever, even non-hockey fans know about him. Malkin, while great, doesn't have the same buzz. If I'm starting a team, I want $$$. Sid will bring that. From a hockey perspective, he was the scoring leader all year long, despite the hodgepodge of lower-level talent on his line. I think some forget the depths of Malkin's funk earlier in the season. He just wasn't good.

There's a reason why fans in NY, Philly and elsewhere get so worked up over Sid. They'd all kill for him. Malkin may be the greater talent, but Sid's the whole package.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Jupiter Florida

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Crosby definitely deserves a public shaming for his 2013-2014 playoff performances. But he is clearly the answer to this debate (art ross and likely hart trophy winner). Let's just put him in the stacks for an afternoon, everyone bring their rotten tomatos, fire away. That way the fans can get the satisfaction that they clearly require and we can all move on and look forward to a new direction for the team.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,555
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Kovy27 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this team trades Malkin in the off-season. Just throwing that out there.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,611
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Three Stars on Fri May 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this team trades Malkin in the off-season. Just throwing that out there.


There's something to be said for rebuilding the team entirely in Crosby's image. Well, the image prior to the playoffs.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: And now for something completely different.

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Gabe on Fri May 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this team trades Malkin in the off-season. Just throwing that out there.


Totally agree. I would be sad if Geno was gone, but a new GM might look at that giant asset and get the urge to maximize the roster.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Jupiter Florida

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:19 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:So 13 games negates everything else?

OK.


It's not Crosby vs. Jokinen, it's Crosby vs. Malkin who's arguably been a better playoff performer anyway.


Except he clearly hasn't, unless you're only looking at this year (which I assume is the case.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,407
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:So 13 games negates everything else?

OK.


It's not Crosby vs. Jokinen, it's Crosby vs. Malkin who's arguably been a better playoff performer anyway.


Except he clearly hasn't, unless you're only looking at this year (which I assume is the case.


I forgot which one of the two won a Conn Smythe...could you assist me in my endeavor?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,423
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DropEmJayBird, GSdrums87, Humperdink, Iceburgh31, NashvilleCat, Realist, Rocco, skullman80, Tjfulf and 57 guests


e-mail