Sid v. Geno

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If you were starting a team, which would you prefer to have?

Crosby
44%
Malkin
56%

Total votes : 72

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby Kovy27 on Fri May 16, 2014 1:33 pm

Three Stars wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this team trades Malkin in the off-season. Just throwing that out there.

There's something to be said for rebuilding the team entirely in Crosby's image. Well, the image prior to the playoffs.

What if you used Malkin to get a stud defenseman (like Shea Weber). Then you have a Superstar Forward, Superstar D, and I think Fleury would be fine with a better D around him.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri May 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Malkin has always been the better player and has the brass to prove it.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bdevido on Fri May 16, 2014 1:52 pm

this question has to be put into better context. if you were starting a team prior to the playoffs last year, the answer is crosby hands down. but, after crosby's post season vacation both this year and last i think the answer at the moment is malkin. the problem is, they will NEVER trade crosby. in fact, when asked why they don't go back to the retro jersey's as an alternate for next season lemieux's response was: we aren't going back to the yellow because the gold is crosby's era. lemieux would never get rid of him under any circumstances. there was a point in time when i wouldn't either, but think about what we could get in return. at least 2, if not 3 solid players who might actually show up in the post season and display leadership qualities. when was the last time you heard crosby say anything mildly interesting or inspiring in an interview?
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GenoMachino71 on Fri May 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Love Geno.... but no way I'm starting my team with a Russian

give me Crosby.... he'll wear the C, be the face of the franchise, be in front of the media every day, and for the most part play consistently

with Geno, he's not a captain, he doesnt wanna talk to the media, and while at his best I think is better/more talented that Crosby, isnt as consistent day in and day out

plus, Crosby is the face of the NHL and sells tickets to a fan base.... not sure Malkin would do that

and I answered this question as if I was running a new expansion team and could pick any player in the NHL to start my team
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Crosby had a postseason vacation last year?

I guess Malkin did as well since he didn't score in the Boston series.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:So 13 games negates everything else?

OK.

It's not Crosby vs. Jokinen, it's Crosby vs. Malkin who's arguably been a better playoff performer anyway.

Except he clearly hasn't, unless you're only looking at this year (which I assume is the case.

I forgot which one of the two won a Conn Smythe...could you assist me in my endeavor?

MRandall25 wrote:Crosby had a postseason vacation last year?

I guess Malkin did as well since he didn't score in the Boston series.

Oh so you don't remember either.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Or I'm just ignoring you because this thread is largely pointless and taking advantage of the "What have you done for me lately" mentality that has pervaded this board.

13 games doesn't change what Crosby has done his entire career. Saying otherwise is pointless. I don't even know why I'm dignifying this with a response.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 2:13 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Or I'm just ignoring you because this thread is largely pointless and taking advantage of the "What have you done for me lately" mentality that has pervaded this board.

Forgot that 2009 was "lately". My bad, I have a pretty crappy memory.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm referring to the Sid hate
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri May 16, 2014 2:21 pm

So because someone would choose Malkin over Sid, they hate Sid?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:24 pm

No, but saying it:s because of Sid's playoffs this year doesn't do anyone any favors.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 16, 2014 2:25 pm

one guy played like he gave a crap during the last 2 series that eliminated us. the other guy is sidney crosby.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bdevido on Fri May 16, 2014 2:35 pm

actually its one goal in his last 17 playoff games, not 13. you mentioned last year for malkin then why wouldn't you consider those games for crosby? either way a captain has to be better than that to win.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 16, 2014 2:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I guess Malkin did as well since he didn't score in the Boston series.

riiight...they played exactly the same because the box score

if you're going to continue with this argument, you need to use a series where malkin didn't thoroughly and conclusively outplay sid.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri May 16, 2014 2:44 pm

I think Malkin has a better chance of playing at an elite level 10 years from now, so I chose him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Ottawa. New York Islanders. Philly in 09. Caps in 09. Ottawa in 10. That's PFF the top of my head

Is wager 07 and 08 are in Crosby's favor as well, but my memory isn't helping me.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 16, 2014 2:52 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Ottawa. New York Islanders.

Are you talking about last year? Malkin had more playoff points than Sid last year (and considering neither of them got a point in the Boston series, that means Malkin outscored Sid in the first two rounds).

thus, your point makes no sense whatsoever.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 16, 2014 2:57 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Ottawa. New York Islanders. Philly in 09. Caps in 09. Ottawa in 10. That's PFF the top of my head

Is wager 07 and 08 are in Crosby's favor as well, but my memory isn't helping me.

those probably check out. but if you line your list up against sid's no-show in the 09 finals, his brat act the next year against montreal, his emotional meltdown against philly, his lack of everything against boston and both series' this year, things stop looking so hot.

i said the same thing last year, but the burden of proof is on crosby's shoulders that he responds to big moments. malkin, at the moment, has nothing to prove in that regard.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri May 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Three Stars wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this team trades Malkin in the off-season. Just throwing that out there.

There's something to be said for rebuilding the team entirely in Crosby's image. Well, the image prior to the playoffs.

What if you used Malkin to get a stud defenseman (like Shea Weber). Then you have a Superstar Forward, Superstar D, and I think Fleury would be fine with a better D around him.

I think the better approach is to have the team buy into full-team D, not stocking up on better-quality d-men players. People say "better D" the last few years, but that's not the problem. Better "Team D" is.

Look how good the team looked in games 3-4. Superstar D players aren't needed, though they surely don't hurt. I'd rather dangle Letang+ in a trade if you are trying to do anything and keep Malkin.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Fri May 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Who won the Conn Smythe in the 2009 cup run?
GENO is my boy.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bdevido on Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 pm

i've always liked malkin, but he really won me over this year big time. he should have the C, demote crosby to A and make him earn it back.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Fri May 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Their playoff careers have been fairly similar and there are certainly years where Malkin didn't step up and Crosby did (2007, 2010). Anyone who can discern a difference between the two at the moment is being fairly myopic.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri May 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Three Stars wrote:

Not sure where goals come from then. And you still have a lot of variability on how Letang plays in relation to that contract.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Fri May 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Sid is going to give you 82 games at the same level. I can't remember any of his goals but...

Geno is going to give you 35 games in beast mode. IE slap shot on the breakaway vs. the Flyers in ECF

Pick your poison
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins