Sid v. Geno

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If you were starting a team, which would you prefer to have?

Crosby
44%
Malkin
56%

Total votes : 72

Re: Sid v. Geno

Postby penny lane on Sat May 17, 2014 2:00 pm

There is a double standard with media/fans; this hasn't affected sid and evgeni themselves.
What does it say if brisson or babcock all friends of Sid are hired? It is about time that Evgeni gets a russian player or someone to compliment his role.
Aside from putting the puck in the net, Sid didn't do enough away from the puck either in the last 3 games.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat May 17, 2014 2:02 pm

penny lane wrote:There is a double standard with media/fans; this hasn't affected sid and evgeni themselves.
What does it say if brisson or babcock all friends of Sid are hired? It is about time that Evgeni gets a russian player or someone to compliment his role.
Aside from putting the puck in the net, Sid didn't do enough away from the puck either in the last 3 games.

If Brisson becomes GM, he can no longer perform his job as agent.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sniper on Sat May 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Who has more character, grit, and speed.....that's what champions have! Whichever one that is.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Sat May 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Crosby is THE reason the Penguins aren't playing right now. He didn't look like he gave a crap most of the postseason. I have no idea why that was the case, but if he plays anywhere near his ability they are playing in round 3. Crosby was horrendous by his standards. If that continues in future playoffs it's not going to matter who the GM or coach are.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat May 17, 2014 3:05 pm

sniper wrote:Crosby is THE reason the Penguins aren't playing right now. He didn't look like he gave a crap most of the postseason. I have no idea why that was the case, but if he plays anywhere near his ability they are playing in round 3. Crosby was horrendous by his standards. If that continues in future playoffs it's not going to matter who the GM or coach are.

I have friends who are Flyer and Ranger fans and it's getting a lot harder to justify how good Sid when they irrationally criticize him.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bdevido on Sat May 17, 2014 3:40 pm

i couldn't agree more sniper. if our captain had done ANYTHING we would still be playing. i don't care if he was frustrated with bylsma or not you still need to show up and perform for your teammates and the fans. not to mention your 10 million a year paycheck. i've always been a huge supporter of crosby, but i lost a lot of respect for him after these playoffs and after reading rossi's article (assuming its true, and i've seen nothing in sid's demeanor to say otherwise).
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby owtahear on Sat May 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Look if given the choice, I would keep Sidney as I named my one dog after him. Look......I am incredibly disappointed in Sidney Crosby. I would love to find an answer to this predicament (his performance).
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Sat May 17, 2014 5:37 pm

sniper wrote:Crosby is THE reason the Penguins aren't playing right now. He didn't look like he gave a crap most of the postseason. I have no idea why that was the case, but if he plays anywhere near his ability they are playing in round 3. Crosby was horrendous by his standards. If that continues in future playoffs it's not going to matter who the GM or coach are.

Who would of ever thought we
Would be discussing Crosbys effort and desire. I am shocked that he is that type of person. But is it the coach or is he done with the city/team? He is no longer my favorite pen.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 17, 2014 6:00 pm

LOL. The end of this thread is funny.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Sat May 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Ha ha
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bdevido on Sat May 17, 2014 6:51 pm

it's a legitimate question, what was he upset about and why did he play so poorly? or, maybe he simply isn't as good as everyone thought he was especially in the post season.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PghSkins on Sat May 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Sid, LGP say I'm score better
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Sat May 17, 2014 7:12 pm

I don’t think most of Sid’s detractors give a rip about what underlying factors might have contributed to his disappointing playoff performance. They have already branded him a quitter, and there’s no need to look any further for answers. I will never be able to wrap my head around that kind of close-minded thinking. All I can say is I hope these folks are never called for jury duty, especially a case where the death penalty could be invoked.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thedude400 on Sat May 17, 2014 7:21 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
and keep in mind that we will be trading the loser of this poll for all four Staals

Can we push for the 5th Stahl too, you know Gunnar from the Mighty Ducks?
thedude400
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Sat May 17, 2014 7:32 pm

TrueNorth wrote:I don’t think most of Sid’s detractors give a rip about what underlying factors might have contributed to his disappointing playoff performance. They have already branded him a quitter, and there’s no need to look any further for answers. I will never be able to wrap my head around that kind of close-minded thinking. All I can say is I hope these folks are never called for jury duty, especially a case where the death penalty could be invoked.

I hope I am on your jury pool. So forgiving....... And delusional
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat May 17, 2014 7:43 pm

This may be a crazy thought(i'm sure that will get isolated), but is it possible that after winning the cup and a gold medal that he's simply lost the true desire to win or just nothing to prove?
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat May 17, 2014 7:47 pm

MarioLives wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:I don’t think most of Sid’s detractors give a rip about what underlying factors might have contributed to his disappointing playoff performance. They have already branded him a quitter, and there’s no need to look any further for answers. I will never be able to wrap my head around that kind of close-minded thinking. All I can say is I hope these folks are never called for jury duty, especially a case where the death penalty could be invoked.

lol I've been called a lot of things in my day, but delusional was never one of them. In any case, your response just proves my point.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Sat May 17, 2014 7:52 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
MarioLives wrote:

lol I've been called a lot of things in my day, but delusional was never one of them. In any case, your response just proves my point.

Ok, comment on what underlying factors played into Sid not trying? I am not saying not scoring, just the lack of effort? Clear if you watched any game.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Sat May 17, 2014 8:58 pm

I'd guess this thread would have been 60-7 Sid 13 days ago. Lol at the reaction from 13 game sample
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bdevido on Sat May 17, 2014 9:06 pm

its a 17 game sample, not 13 why do people keep saying that? this dates back to last year.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Because no one really cared about last year's 4 games until the past 13.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat May 17, 2014 9:54 pm

5 year sample, actually
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sun May 18, 2014 12:38 am

thedude400 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
and keep in mind that we will be trading the loser of this poll for all four Staals

Can we push for the 5th Stahl too, you know Gunnar from the Mighty Ducks?

Also, I just found out that you can buy a Gunner Stahl jersey. My life is now complete.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby TrueNorth on Sun May 18, 2014 11:51 am

MarioLives wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
MarioLives wrote:

Ok, comment on what underlying factors played into Sid not trying? I am not saying not scoring, just the lack of effort? Clear if you watched any game.

Obviously, ML, I don’t have any more information than you do about why Sid performed as poorly as he did in the playoffs this year. But here’s one possible explanation that is far less damning than branding him a quitter: burnout. The signs and symptoms are too numerous to mention here but include low energy level; problems with concentration and attention; reduced productivity and poor performance; frustration, increased irritability and other negative emotions. Burnout is the result of overwork or chronic stress, and its symptoms can not just be willed out of existence. Its a condition that often afflicts high achievers who keep pushing themselves, who keep trying to pull themselves up by their bootstraps but keep falling short. This, in turn, wreaks havoc with their sense of competence and their self-confidence--after all, they are used to being successful and usually have no idea what is happening to them. It’s a vicious cycle.

If anyone would be a candidate for burnout this year, it would be Sid: first full season in several years--and a compressed one at that owing to the Olympics (consider that he has played a total of 100 games this year compared with 50, 28 and 41 in the previous three seasons), the stress of the Olympics themselves, the extra workload and heavy minutes resulting from the never ending injuries to teammates, the physical abuse he took in the playoffs where he was essentially thrown to the lions on every shift.

I have no idea if Sid is suffering from burnout, although I think it’s a distinct possibility and one that is infinitely more plausible than the quitter explanation. So why is it that some people have chosen to think the very worst of him when there are other explanations that might account for his performance, explanations that don’t fly in the face of everything we know about him--his character, his work ethic, his commitment to the team and the organization? Why have they not even bothered to consider other possible explanations before vilifying him?
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun May 18, 2014 12:27 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
MarioLives wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
MarioLives wrote:

Obviously, ML, I don’t have any more information than you do about why Sid performed as poorly as he did in the playoffs this year. But here’s one possible explanation that is far less damning than branding him a quitter: burnout. The signs and symptoms are too numerous to mention here but include low energy level; problems with concentration and attention; reduced productivity and poor performance; frustration, increased irritability and other negative emotions. Burnout is the result of overwork or chronic stress, and its symptoms can not just be willed out of existence. Its a condition that often afflicts high achievers who keep pushing themselves, who keep trying to pull themselves up by their bootstraps but keep falling short. This, in turn, wreaks havoc with their sense of competence and their self-confidence--after all, they are used to being successful and usually have no idea what is happening to them. It’s a vicious cycle.

If anyone would be a candidate for burnout this year, it would be Sid: first full season in several years--and a compressed one at that owing to the Olympics (consider that he has played a total of 100 games this year compared with 50, 28 and 41 in the previous three seasons), the stress of the Olympics themselves, the extra workload and heavy minutes resulting from the never ending injuries to teammates, the physical abuse he took in the playoffs where he was essentially thrown to the lions on every shift.

I have no idea if Sid is suffering from burnout, although I think it’s a distinct possibility and one that is infinitely more plausible than the quitter explanation. So why is it that some people have chosen to think the very worst of him when there are other explanations that might account for his performance, explanations that don’t fly in the face of everything we know about him--his character, his work ethic, his commitment to the team and the organization? Why have they not even bothered to consider other possible explanations before vilifying him?

Boy I think you absolutely nailed it TrueNorth. Nothing explains what happened to Sid in the playoffs better then your last three paragraphs. These guys who toil on the ice are, in fact, humans, not cyborgs. They suffer from the same problems as the rest of the human race. Sid is not exempt. Hell even Superman had his kryptonite. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins