Here's a trade idea that would really shake things up...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Here's a trade idea that would really shake things up...

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sat May 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Crosby to NJD for Jagr

#jagrwatch
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sat May 17, 2014 2:11 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:A trade of one high priced player, along with sending Scuderi and his big contract to WBS (assuming they aren't able to trade him for a bucket of pucks) will alleviate a lot of the cap problems. Letang, Fleury, or Neal would be the logical candidates...and it would, as you say, shake things up. Wouldn't trade Neal or MAF because who is going to replace them? If you want an improvement over those two, you'll pay a WHOLE lot more.

Personally, I'd move Letang, for a young winger and a pick. Then, draft a winger in the first round. Use the Letang money to re-sign NIskanen, and the Scuderi money to sign a good bottom 6 guy. They simply don't need Letang. He is constantly injured, and there is no continuity or consistency to his game.

I agree with you but only because with the defensive depth coupled with the massive contract, Letang is expendable.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sat May 17, 2014 2:14 pm

None of the prospects are ready to take on Letangs role in all three phases, or even close to it. Maatta isn't even there yet. Trading Letang would be a huge mistake IMO.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sat May 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Point taken, but I think Martin can fill the void left by Letang.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sat May 17, 2014 2:50 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:Point taken, but I think Martin can fill the void left by Letang.

Then what? Martin has one year left on his deal. Do you want to resign an aging, injury prone Martin to an extension at upwards of $6m per, which is what it would probably take?

Letang is not moving.

Martin is at the peak of his value and should not be resigned at age 33. Sell high. The team needs to get younger.

Martin is the best chip they have to get a young wing and cut salary for next season.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Sat May 17, 2014 2:53 pm

They aren't trading Martin. No way.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sat May 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:A friend of a friend put together a clever little stat of Sid in the playoffs:
2008 vs. Detroit: 1 goal
2009 vs Detroit: 2 goal
2010 vs. Montreal: 1 goal
2012 vs. Philly: 3 goals
2013 vs. Boston: 0 goals
2014 1 goal in 13 games.

:shock:

I guess we all basically know this, but it still hurts the eyes to see it all at once. A consistent, lengthy record of coming up small when it matters most.

Even worse, in my opinion, was that Sid was on the ice and at least partially culpable for the OT goals against and many other crucial goals against during the past 13 games. If you are not scoring, as a number one center, then you absolutely cannot let your opponent score. Especially off of offensive zone face offs in game 7 when the opposing center is Dom Moore :face:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sat May 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Crankshaft wrote:They aren't trading Martin. No way.

So you would resign him? Because looking at this team where it is right now, they are not in the position to hold onto Paul Martin for the season, ala Niskanen, in an attempt to make a cup run. Too many needs.

You want to resign him for 5 years, $6m per? 33 year old (34 when an extension would kick in) Paul Martin?? Isn't that the exact mentality that has led to the current state of affairs?

I don't want any part of extending him and the guy is injury prone, too much risk to wait for the deadline.

And if you are not going to resign him, trade him before the season. He is a valuable asset now, coming off a great run. Sell high.
Last edited by Chirpin' Grinder on Sat May 17, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat May 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:A friend of a friend put together a clever little stat of Sid in the playoffs:
2014 1 goal in 13 games.

I guess we all basically know this, but it still hurts the eyes to see it all at once. A consistent, lengthy record of coming up small when it matters most.

Even worse, in my opinion, was that Sid was on the ice and at least partially culpable for the OT goals against and many other crucial goals against during the past 13 games. If you are not scoring, as a number one center, then you absolutely cannot let your opponent score. Especially off of offensive zone face offs in game 7 when the opposing center is Dom Moore :face:

Yeah, pretty scary. I know Malkin hasn't come up EVERY time, but he's stepped it up way more in the playoffs than Sid.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sat May 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
2014 1 goal in 13 games.

Does Fleurys sport psychologist have any open slots?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Sat May 17, 2014 4:51 pm

You can cherry pick ugly stats for any player. It's LGP that needs the staff shrink.

Admin: You should sticky some of these threads for posterity.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sat May 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
She'sTheFastest wrote:Point taken, but I think Martin can fill the void left by Letang.

Then what? Martin has one year left on his deal. Do you want to resign an aging, injury prone Martin to an extension at upwards of $6m per, which is what it would probably take?

Letang is not moving.

Martin is at the peak of his value and should not be resigned at age 33. Sell high. The team needs to get younger.

Martin is the best chip they have to get a young wing and cut salary for next season.

Polliout then takes Martin's place.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Sat May 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Chripin' Grinder's MO...

1. Make a statement
2. Wait for someone to disagree with that statement
3. Make a wild response re-stating your original point
4. Include multiple punctuation for drama
5. Re-state opinion again in a slightly re-worded way
6. Rant about the several absolute worst case scenarios that could potentially result from the differing opinion
7. Re-state opinion yet again, but delivered as if now proven infallible based on previous rant about differing opinion
8. Rinse and repeat
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Trade Letang this offseason, let Martin walk next offseason.

Harrington and Pouliot are going to be the real deal. And they still have other guys coming along too. If their 6 defensemen are Niskanen, Maatta, Despres, Pouliot, Harrington, and Bortuzzo come 2015-2016, this team will be in business. And not a single player will have to be acquired!!
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 pm

pens_CT wrote:Keep it simple, just trade the Montreal roster for the Pittsburgh roster.

Why don't you just move to Montreal?
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sat May 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
2014 1 goal in 13 games.

Yeah, pretty scary. I know Malkin hasn't come up EVERY time, but he's stepped it up way more in the playoffs than Sid.

I think this is a product of the NHL enforcement of the rules during the post season. For Sid to produce with players hanging on his back I can't say its easy to be him during this time of year.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat May 17, 2014 11:13 pm

no name wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
2014 1 goal in 13 games.

I think this is a product of the NHL enforcement of the rules during the post season. For Sid to produce with players hanging on his back I can't say its easy to be him during this time of year.

They rode Mario like he was Seattle Slew and he came up big when it mattered. Granted he was bigger but it's not like he had a reputation for being a tough customer or for being a gym rat. So, Sid has some work to do.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Desiato on Sat May 17, 2014 11:32 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:They rode Mario like he was Seattle Slew and he came up big when it mattered. Granted he was bigger but it's not like he had a reputation for being a tough customer or for being a gym rat. So, Sid has some work to do.

Except when he didn't. Mario was shutdown too. Everyone idealizes the Mario years, but they were plenty bumpy. Even before the bankruptcy. Plus, as elite hockey players go, Sid and Mario are very different.

There is no objectivity to cherry picking stats while looking to prove a point. That is not an analysis. All star players eventually fall short. They cannot live up to unachievable expectations: always win. And losing is usually ugly. Just the way it goes.

Sid is an elite hockey player. Not an elite goal scorer. Just a very good goal scorer. It's not surprising he's had some droughts while struggling. But Sid brings other things to the table. He didn't this spring for reasons we will probably never know.

Oh, and most of you don't know hockey. Because most games, despite not playing his best, Sid was a contributor. The lines he played on usually controlled the puck. They generated chances. He battled. He was a constant focus of the opposition. He wasn't going through the motions. When you saw him gliding, there was a reason for that. It was not body language. He didn't suck. My god.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sun May 18, 2014 5:14 am

I agree in the general sense that the Crosby-bashing has been over the top, but the constant response of "you all don't know hockey" in response to other peoples opinions is even worse.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Sun May 18, 2014 6:04 am

I call it as I see it. If you watched Sid play every game these playoffs and think he was a detriment to the team, you don't know hockey. It's that simple. His play was about that of an average NHL star.

I probably agree with most criticism about his play I read. It's very concerning. It's even more concerning that there's no explanation.

A wild guess I have is that he played through something in order to participate in the Olympics and hasn't disclosed it to avoid controversy; as his professional obligation to the Pens would be to seek treatment to be ready for the playoffs.

And the wild fear would be that it's somehow neurological. If he played through PCS-like symptoms, I assume he would also keep that to himself.

It may also be a personal issue that we cannot possibly guess. No one is immune to them. Maybe a crazy girlfriend ripped his heart out and he hasn't slept in two months. That's more reasonable than "didn't try".
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 am

The Current One wrote:To Montreal: Sid & Fleury

To Pittsburgh: Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher or Galchenyuk, 1st rounder. Or, take out Pacioretty and add another 1st rounder.

Combine that with the Malkin to LA trade and we got ourselves something

To LAK: Malkin, Neal, Scuderi, Zatkoff, Mtl 1st

To Pittsburgh: Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Carter, Jones

Pacioretty - Kopitar - Brown
Kunitz - Carter - Gallagher
Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Goc - Adams

Subban - Doughty
Letang - Martin
Maatta - Bortuzzo

Price
Jones

http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/15687
Still have $1.5M in cap space. GMLGP for the win.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun May 18, 2014 10:28 am

You forgot to trade away the stretch pass.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Eismann on Sun May 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Desiato wrote:I call it as I see it. If you watched Sid play every game these playoffs and think he was a detriment to the team, you don't know hockey. It's that simple. His play was about that of an average NHL star.

I probably agree with most criticism about his play I read. It's very concerning. It's even more concerning that there's no explanation.

First, those two paragraphs don't seem to agree with each other. Second, his play wasn't anywhere near that of an average NHLer, let alone a star. Third, he was a detriment to his team, apparently on and probably off the ice. No need to bust out the "you don't know hockey" when you have several questionable statements, yourself.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins