Starkey Takes Sid to Task

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Starkey Takes Sid to Task

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Joe "Fans Need More Joy" Starkey goes after Sid like no one ever has here in Pittsburgh.

Some valid points, but also some stupid ones.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/6101920-74/crosby-penguins-game#axzz31ywUdPlT
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Starkey Takes Sid to Task

Postby Desiato on Sat May 17, 2014 11:44 pm

It's a crap article to take advantage (ad revenue) of the pitchfork waving maniacs.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 am

I don't necessarily disagree with it. I hate the winger remark because Hossa also leaped out of Detroit to Chicago after a year.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 18, 2014 1:13 am

Desiato wrote:It's a crap article to take advantage (ad revenue) of the pitchfork waving maniacs.

I came to post this and also to ask why pile on now, 5 days after all of North America has already done so?

What new ground has been covered here? None. We get it. Sid gets it. We're incredibly disappointed. Sid's incredibly disappointed.

The Pittsburgh sports media, with a few exceptions, is beginning to exhibit Montreal-levels of psychopathy (not criticism, not reporting, not review, not analysis).
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Sun May 18, 2014 1:23 am

Piling on? Maybe.

At least it's refreshing to see the sports media in this town willing to take *some* athlete to task. Sort of balances out the Stillerz butt-licking all of them do.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Das boot on Sun May 18, 2014 1:27 am

Also doesn't offer any solution. Does he want the Pens to explore trading Sid? Or does he just want Sid to publicly take blame for the playoff failures. Seems to me lots of people in the media want to take Sid to task but none want to put in writing that they think they should trade him.
Das boot
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 18, 2014 1:30 am

penmyst wrote:Piling on? Maybe.

At least it's refreshing to see the sports media in this town willing to take *some* athlete to task. Sort of balances out the Stillerz butt-licking all of them do.

I agree, until it becomes the same thing everyday. At what point does taking some athletes to task become a penchant for throwing out the same stuff everyday because no one's willing to come up with a more illuminating, compelling, and creative angle for a story? It's intellectual and professional laziness, not just on the part of the writer but on the editors, also.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 18, 2014 1:32 am

Das boot wrote:Also doesn't offer any solution. Does he want the Pens to explore trading Sid? Or does he just want Sid to publicly take blame for the playoff failures. Seems to me lots of people in the media want to take Sid to task but none want to put in writing that they think they should trade him.

Because no one really wants to trade him, because that would arguably be insane. Those throwing it out trade scenarios are throwing out click bait, imo.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby knives of ice on Sun May 18, 2014 4:08 am

holy **** guess what Sid has bad numbers in games that the penguins were eliminated.

he SUCKS in the playoffs.

the best player on a team is unlikely to have put up great statistics in the game his team was eliminated.

you don't have a be a genius to realize this is the likely scenerio.

oh, stunningly Lemieux's stats in games the pens were eliminated in the playoffs suck as well. he sucks too.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Sun May 18, 2014 6:38 am

It seems like most are defending Crosby. I tend to agree with the article. Everyone is crucifying HCDB for failure in the playoffs and throwing MAF under the bus for the same thing, but giving Crosby a free ride despite just one goal in 13 games. He should take full responsibility as captain. He sets the example. I seem to recall a lot of demeaning words about Crosbys passing, shot selection, PP effort, coasting, etc on this board during the playoffs. Even if in his mind he hated management and his play exhibited that, he should have played for the fans who have always supported him and pay his salary. I know this article rehashes other blogs/articles, but Starkey reinforces what others think or perceive.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Wyopen on Sun May 18, 2014 6:55 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Desiato wrote:It's a crap article to take advantage (ad revenue) of the pitchfork waving maniacs.

I came to post this and also to ask why pile on now, 5 days after all of North America has already done so?

What new ground has been covered here? None. We get it. Sid gets it. We're incredibly disappointed. Sid's incredibly disappointed.

The Pittsburgh sports media, with a few exceptions, is beginning to exhibit Montreal-levels of psychopathy (not criticism, not reporting, not review, not analysis).

According to the post-firing interview with Lemieux and Burkle, we are trying to become like Montreal.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 am

You should probably re-read the post-firing article.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Sun May 18, 2014 7:45 am

Starkey's upset just like the rest of us. Somewhat surprised he took it to this level.

It really does boil down to leadership, which was beat to death in an earlier thread.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 18, 2014 8:15 am

The tone is excessive, but the overall point and supporting arguments are valid.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Wyopen on Sun May 18, 2014 8:45 am

meow wrote:You should probably re-read the post-firing article.

I'm talking about personnel. See DKs interview and the response from Mario
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe on Sun May 18, 2014 9:12 am

A good article. Why should sid have a free pass? He is the captain. I never saw any passion from sid's these playoffs. He looked very average. If he is the best hockey player in the world where was the play that gave him that moniker?

This is a huge gut check for sid the rest of the pens and whoever the coach and gm are.
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun May 18, 2014 9:49 am

Starkey is a Bylsma apologist. This article has a lot of valid points, but I take the premise of this piece as a defense of Bylsma and not just a slam on Sid.

I mean, Starkey basically puts the blame of the past three playoffs on Sidney Crosby and Sidney Crosby alone. Which is asinine.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Sun May 18, 2014 10:12 am

Sid was not at his best. His attitude and general good nature gives him the "role model" mantle, which he deserves. Its tough to challenge him like Joe Starkey did, but Joe's not all wrong. You simply cannot pin the loss on Sid, its a team game. Sid deserves lots of blame, and I'm sure he'll own up to it. And when Sid does, I suspect Joe will give him credit four doing so
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 am

There's plenty of blame to go around, but as Sid goes, so go the pens. I dont think anyone can dispute his lack of leadership. I can handle the lack of production, what I have a hard time with is the head shaking, ******** and moaning and overall negative vibe a captain should not display.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SpinnerSpencer on Sun May 18, 2014 11:27 am

You nailed it. :thumb:
SpinnerSpencer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Sun May 18, 2014 11:30 am

I like how columnists (Starkey, Cook, Collier, etc) who occassionaly write about the Pens all season suddenly become experts on the team.

Save your 2 cents, gentlemen.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jcgopens on Sun May 18, 2014 11:47 am

I actually agree with the article. I've been saying the same thing all playoffs. I lost a lot of respect for Sid during these playoffs.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Sun May 18, 2014 11:52 am

jcgopens wrote:I actually agree with the article. I've been saying the same thing all playoffs. I lost a lot of respect for Sid during these playoffs.

I did too. If reports are true and he acted like a baby, then no wonder the rest of the league complains about him whining.

That being said, journalists rarely get the accurate story.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun May 18, 2014 11:55 am

Well I can understand Starkey's article. Up to a point. He is frustrated also. While he is a beat writer, you also have to figure he is also a Pens fan an wants them to succeed at the highest level...which has become "the expected" of the Pens. It is also a difficult task to live up to. And when it doesn't happen, especially after a long drought then who do you expect to feel it the most. Yep, that's right...Sid. And when Sid missed that golden opportunity on an open net early in game 7 with a whiff, you can bet that his frustration reached an uber level. And while he apparently did not say "I've got to improve" instead of "We've" you have to know that if anyone knows how to improve his game it is Sid. He has proved that in the past. So while his leadership was strangely missing, I believe he will make a concerted effort to improve that aspect of his responsibilities as "C". And that being said, this is still a team game from Lemieux and Burkle all the way down to IceBurg and we the fans.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby puckeye on Sun May 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Well I can understand Starkey's article. Up to a point. He is frustrated also. While he is a beat writer, you also have to figure he is also a Pens fan an wants them to succeed at the highest level...which has become "the expected" of the Pens. It is also a difficult task to live up to. And when it doesn't happen, especially after a long drought then who do you expect to feel it the most. Yep, that's right...Sid. And when Sid missed that golden opportunity on an open net early in game 7 with a whiff, you can bet that his frustration reached an uber level. And while he apparently did not say "I've got to improve" instead of "We've" you have to know that if anyone knows how to improve his game it is Sid. He has proved that in the past. So while his leadership was strangely missing, I believe he will make a concerted effort to improve that aspect of his responsibilities as "C". And that being said, this is still a team game from Lemieux and Burkle all the way down to IceBurg and we the fans.

BEPF

fwiw Starkey is not beat writer, he is a columnist
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins