Theories re Bylsma being retained

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Theories re Bylsma being retained

Postby The Penitent on Sun May 18, 2014 10:22 am

Two days later and still haven't heard a rational explanation as to why Bylsma was retained and Shero got tossed. So, I've tried to list out a few possibilities

"We really weren't kidding" theory - Maybe they ARE going to keep him on, particularly if you believe the tripe the Mario was doling out that "Dan is a good coach, he'd have a job tomorrow, blah, blah, blah...". I'd say there might be some merit to this one, knowing the Pens and particularly if the let a know-nothing like Morehouse run the show. But good coaches get fired all the time, and there are very few of them that don't get another job relatively soon. What's the point of keeping him on - the only way this works is if he wins the Cup next year - another playoff flame-out and you've wasted yet another year

The Sacrificial Lamb theory - Pens start slowly or have a poor regular season, and the new GM has someone he can fire. This might be the most logical one, but again, you're wasting another year of the Crosby/Malkin window

The Pirate theory - Maybe the Pens get tired of the Pirates hogging the sports narrative with their idiotic front office/ownership foibles, and decide to do a few of their own to stay more relevant. You have to admit, they've already topped the Pirates unwarranted contract extensions and fan alienation with this move

The "he's so good we can't let anyone else have him" theory - keep Bylsma so that Wash/Fla/Car/Van can't hire him the next day. Play a game of chicken so that these teams won't wait, and will hire another coach before DB is available (particularly Washington). Leave other teams in limbo by putting your team in more serious limbo - truly Pens style

The "Hoosiers" theory - they were going to fire him, but like with the Jimmy Chitwood character in Hoosiers, Sid comes in and says "It's time for me to start playing. One thing though - I play, coach stays - he goes, I go" . On second thought, this might not be too likely.

The Sid punishment theory - Mario teaches Sid a lesson about running off the coach. Just like the master did it, you don't tank out and whine in the playoffs - you do it during the regular season.

The drunken monkey theory - The front office decided to make the decision by giving a drunken monkey a handful of darts, throwing them at a wheel with different scenarios. First dart hit "Fire Shero". The monkey then passed out before he could throw any more darts.

Any other thoughts?
The Penitent

Re: Theories re Bylsma being retained

Postby DocEmrick on Sun May 18, 2014 11:53 am

Time to spread those cheeks
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sun May 18, 2014 11:58 am

How is "we prefer that the new GM make the final decisions on hockey matters, such as who the head coach is" not a rational explanation?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun May 18, 2014 12:01 pm

slappybrown wrote:How is "we prefer that the new GM make the final decisions on hockey matters, such as who the head coach is" not a rational explanation?

Because it doesn't have a cool moniker attached to it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun May 18, 2014 1:03 pm

slappybrown wrote:How is "we prefer that the new GM make the final decisions on hockey matters, such as who the head coach is" not a rational explanation?

Because you can't satisfy everyone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun May 18, 2014 1:23 pm

That's actually the best explanation I've heard. How did it take so long for someone to present this? If only they had said this in the press conference or in any of the interviews after, there wouldn't be so much confusion.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Sun May 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Its a bad explanation. This HCDB was not hired by the new GM. HCDB did not coach under the new GM. The new GM should not have any responsibility for HCDB. Ownership needed to nut up and fire HCDB. Look for GM candidates to shy away from the Pens job when they discover HCDB must be retained.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the riddler on Sun May 18, 2014 2:00 pm

For Shero to be gone and Bylsma still here, it's an embarrassment. I don't care if they say they're bringing someone in to evaluate the coaching staff. They shouldn't be given the chance to be evaluated. If this is all just a formality and Bylsma will ultimately will be fired then it's a waste of time for everyone involved.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Sun May 18, 2014 2:05 pm

It's Sunday, May 18th, and the Penguins have no General Manager, they still have a head coach who has choked in the playoffs for 5 straight years, and neither owner announced the firing of the General Manager.

Not good, any way you look at it.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sun May 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Well we can't trade for either of the Staal boys or Kesler if there is no one from the previous regime left over to fill in the new guy with the scoop...

Screw Shero's 3 Center model....we're going to go with the vastly superior 5 Center model.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 18, 2014 2:44 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:Its a bad explanation. This HCDB was not hired by the new GM. HCDB did not coach under the new GM. The new GM should not have any responsibility for HCDB. Ownership needed to nut up and fire HCDB. Look for GM candidates to shy away from the Pens job when they discover HCDB must be retained.

When he is let go, Dan Bylsma will be the one to start the coach-signing carousel. Why handicap your next GM by not giving him first crack at Bylsma, simply by holding on to his contract for awhile?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Sun May 18, 2014 2:49 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Well we can't trade for either of the Staal boys or Kesler if there is no one from the previous regime left over to fill in the new guy with the scoop...

Screw Shero's 3 Center model....we're going to go with the vastly superior 5 Center model.

I think they'll go with 2 centers on each line instead...

Kunitz Crosby Malkin
Staal Staal Bennett
Dupuis Sutter Kesler
Sill Vitale Adams
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sun May 18, 2014 2:50 pm

bhaw wrote:

That's actually the best explanation I've heard. How did it take so long for someone to present this? If only they had said this in the press conference or in any of the interviews after, there wouldn't be so much confusion.

Because David Morehouse has the media skills of a rock. He was just awful at the presser.

The Burkle/Lemiuex interview did allude to this.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun May 18, 2014 2:55 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Because David Morehouse has the media skills of a rock. He was just awful at the presser.

Perhaps you missed the extensive use of sarcasm :D

They said this exactly in the press conference and in all the interviews.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm

bhaw wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Perhaps you missed the extensive use of sarcasm :D

They said this exactly in the press conference and in all the interviews.

I never know with you... LOL

And you have to agree the presser was a cluster.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Sun May 18, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm going with he's at least coaching this season and if it's another disappointment then Bylsma will be fired
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 18, 2014 3:27 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I'm going with he's at least coaching this season and if it's another disappointment then Bylsma will be fired

There is nothing about Bylsma's playoff coaching performance to indicate that next year will be any different than the last five. Keep him and you have wasted another season, hopefully Lemieux and Burkle are smart enough to see this. If they aren't then this team had far bigger problems than the coach.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Sun May 18, 2014 3:34 pm

My pet theory is that they're holding Bylsma over the players as a reminder and as a consequence that the players have quit on 2 coaches and counting. They're not going to fire Bylsma now because that would be giving the players (Sid et al) exactly what they want and gives every impression that the inmates are running the asylum.

Instead, they're going to let the players wait for whichever GM they hire to make that decision, and they'll make it abundantly clear (if they haven't already) that the decision is coming purely from the GM, not from the players. The next step is to see what the reaction is from the players.

Just a theory, of course.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Sun May 18, 2014 3:36 pm

The Canucks front office just did what we did only a month earlier: fire GM first then coach went.

I don't see how people don't see this.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Sun May 18, 2014 3:39 pm

He has compromising pictures of both Mario and Burkle.

There IS no other explanation. The guy has choked in the playoffs with either the best or 2nd best team, for five consecutive years.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 18, 2014 3:46 pm

It seems that our Pens organIzation has gone from the most solid, well-run in the history of the NHL (maybe save the DRW) to a steaming pile of bombed out rubble in 5 years. j/k The truth is in between and much, much closer to the good end.

I wasn't wowed with the presser, either. When viewing a presser, I'm more concerned with the information than the performance (hence why I recognize but personally didn't care about the "optics" of L's & B's absences). That said, I came away with questions. (Thanks, DK, for the interview and the rounds on the radio circuit.)

But the fact of the matter is that, all things aside, we have what we've always wanted: An ownership that...
loves hockey
wants to work with the league to make it stronger
loves the Pens
loves Pittsburgh
appreciates the fans (and they do, although they're going to make mistake and not make everyone happy)
is a solid partnership
has the Pens on solid (booming?) financial footing
has deep pockets to spend to the Cap if needed
...and wants to win.

That keeps me relatively content as we go through ups and downs.

On another note, I think it must be so hard hearing your boss publicly regret not firing you last year. I'd resign, but there's salary $$$ at stake.

Everyone needs to be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Sun May 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Beveridge wrote:The Canucks front office just did what we did only a month earlier: fire GM first then coach went.

I don't see how people don't see this.

Because they can't possibly understand how Bylsma wouldn't be fired even though they thought he would be fired. It's nothing new. I'm a fan and when player x doesn't play on line y or player z is scratched or player i is not promoted from Wilkes Barre, then I'm convinced the Pens are doing everything wrong and jump up and down and complain about it. The big difference in recent years with the internets is, as the beloved Draftnick used to point out, how quickly these views are adapted by others to the point where they become truth when in fact they are not.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sun May 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Three Stars wrote:My pet theory is that they're holding Bylsma over the players as a reminder and as a consequence that the players have quit on 2 coaches and counting. They're not going to fire Bylsma now because that would be giving the players (Sid et al) exactly what they want and gives every impression that the inmates are running the asylum.

Instead, they're going to let the players wait for whichever GM they hire to make that decision, and they'll make it abundantly clear (if they haven't already) that the decision is coming purely from the GM, not from the players. The next step is to see what the reaction is from the players.

Just a theory, of course.

AS a theory it has legs. We've seen this previously with the penguins. All the way back to Gene Ubriaco.
Mario and Coffey went to Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr's home for dinner.

Whatever the theories , whatever the reason; Blysma should be gone. He has shown me for five years+ doesn't think quickly enough to adjust during the play-off games.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun May 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Only the penitent shall pass
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Sun May 18, 2014 5:22 pm

The Sid and Geno save face theory... Since they threw Dan under the bus after the playoffs, they retain the services of Dan and let the new GM fire him so it doesn't look like Sid and Geno ran him out of town. That would be a turn off for some coaching candidates.

Also the:

Keep Dan theory so no one else gets him theory intrest me.... Espicially since GMRS will want to take HCDB with him where ever he goes.

my personal theory. Dan brain washed the Penguins management since he is the Alien leader... maybe??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins