Theories re Bylsma being retained

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Theories re Bylsma being retained

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri May 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Could you imagine Pierre at an interview?

"Well Ron and Mario as you can see on my resume I do have assistant experience Mario and Ron."

What would be your plans for the coach?

"Well Danny Byslma outta Grand Haven, Michigan- former Phoenix Roadrunner of the IHL Mario and Ron- he's done some good things for this organ-I-zation"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey did you know that Edzo was Sidney Crosby's first coach in the NHL?
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri May 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

"Havin some fun out there"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Fri May 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Pierre's first official act as GM would be to attempt to sign Brecks Arpeck to a multi year deal. As his name is not actually Brecks Arpeck, the deal would fall through, and the fan base would rejoice
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Fri May 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Bylsma sucks.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sat May 31, 2014 3:57 pm

there is small chance it could be a money issue??? Dan B has what 2 years left on the contract. Now that is guaranteed money, if he sits on his couch at home he collects it. If he was fired and signed another contract and if that contract was less the Pens have to pay him the balance.(EX. If Dan makes 1m as a pens coach and gets paid .5 million on new team Pens have to pay the other .5 million.) that would only have to be until Pens contract is up.

If pens hold onto him until say Shero get a new job and he want to hire Dan, Dan would have ask to be releived of his contract, thusly giving up all money and he is free to sign a new deal.

Maybe Dan at this point would want to be let go so he can look for another opportunity right now, still what 3 or 4 jobs still open??

But the 2 million he is owed is small potatoes in the teams budget.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Sat May 31, 2014 4:44 pm

I think Carolina, Vancouver, and Florida are vacant IIRC
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 pm

I highly doubt it is a money problem with the penguins. I mean I know they wouldn't want to pay a person 2 million dollars to just sit there, but the penguins, according to forbes, generate the 6th highest revenue in the nhl. So they can definitely afford to pay him either way.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Sat May 31, 2014 7:53 pm

jimjom wrote:I think Carolina, Vancouver, and Florida are vacant IIRC

Bylsma would be a great fit in both Florida and Carolina.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm not over looking this.

If somehow he starts next season he will have a very short leash with a new GM. I think it made sense and they want the GM to have as many options as possible coming in. There could be some strategy there to block him to going to a certain team for now.

Bylsma's talent as a coach is taking borderline players and winning some games with them. He has no idea how to coach superstars, or develop young talent.

I would like to see him gone, so we have a new coach for training camp.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:15 pm

no name wrote:Friend told me he heard McGuire was in town for a 2nd interview?? anyone else hear anything like this??

I know that Rossi said the other day that he had not hear McGuire's name from ANYONE associated with the Pens. Are the McGuire rumors coming from any kind of official sources or just like this, from people's friends?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:19 pm

Theory: Pens management retained Dan to tick off Shero. Shero went to ownership and said if you keep me as GM i am keeping Dan as our coach. Ownership said goodbye but we will keep your coach just to tick you off a little. Geno and Sid got a bad rap for putting Dan down after the season. Might as well let them save face by not firing Dan so it doesn't look like Geno and Sid ran him out of town. Something that might give any new potential coach bad vibes if he thought he had to kiss our 2 primadonnas butts.

Atl Theory: Dan is an alien with mind control abilities and this is his master plan to take over the world as a NHL coach.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Do people actually think that Shero would honestly sacrifice his job to try to save Bylsma?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Do people think that a rational GM would have re-signed Bylsma last year?.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeanPronovost on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:54 am

no name wrote:(EX. If Dan makes 1m as a pens coach and gets paid .5 million on new team Pens have to pay the other .5 million.) that would only have to be until Pens contract is up. ... But the 2 million he is owed is small potatoes in the teams budget.

You might be using $1M a year as an example to show how this would work, which is fine.

But Blysma makes quite a bit more than $1M a year. I saw one internet report that the figure is $3.5M a year. I can't vouch for it, but it's in line with what similar coaches get. And it would make his buyout $7M.

Plus they're buying out Shero, presumably for even more. And Scuderi too? This is a major price tag for people you don't want anymore.

So I wouldn't rule out that this is a money issue. I don't know the team's budget, but I'd guess that revenue consistently comes up short with all these premature playoff flame-outs. I was doing some idle counting, and I figured they could have had at eight more home playoff dates -- a conservative estimate -- over the last five years if they hadn't choked every single time. Heck, they could have had eight more this season. That's a lot of money they didn't get.

The franchise is growing in value, but they're still not like PHI or NYR that can throw away money. And for the last five years, their spending has achieved nothing.

I still hope Bylsma is fired, but I'm not nearly as certain about it as I was.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:57 am

Dan isn't being wronged. It's the Pens prerogative, but he has the option to resign. As the Pens execs have already said they're haven't retained him to keep him from other clubs, they'd be practically obliged to release him.

I don't know what Pens management is thinking, but what they've done makes sense. There is no benefit to the club to fire him immediately. Keeping him allows for the greatest number of possibilities going forward.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mig991 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:00 am

Crankshaft wrote:
jimjom wrote:I think Carolina, Vancouver, and Florida are vacant IIRC

Bylsma would be a great fit in both Florida and Carolina.

I have read that Carolina is going to Ulf Samuelson, they are just waiting for the playoffs to end to announce it.
mig991

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 am

littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:41 am

Jim wrote:
no name wrote:Friend told me he heard McGuire was in town for a 2nd interview?? anyone else hear anything like this??

I know that Rossi said the other day that he had not hear McGuire's name from ANYONE associated with the Pens. Are the McGuire rumors coming from any kind of official sources or just like this, from people's friends?

Mike Prisuta has reported it multiple times, including this morning, when he said McGuire came in for an interview Saturday. I'm not suggesting Prisuta is the authority on such issues, but I've never really heard him "break" any news in the past, so it would seem strange that he's trying to do that here unless he has some reliable intel.

On a side note, and off-topic from the GM hire, after hearing Prisuta talk this morning about Fitzgerald, Botterill, and other members of the scouting staff. Just our of curiosity, why is no one crying that they haven't been fired, similarly to the way they're crying that Bylsma wasn't? Quite honestly, that scouting staff should be gutted, and not firing them would seem, at least to me, akin to not firing the coach. What's the difference, aside from prominence? Bylsma being retained has happened for the same reason the scouting staff has been retained: there's no reason to make any decisions until the new GM comes in and evaluates what he wants to do.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:49 am

Defence21 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Mike Prisuta has reported it multiple times, including this morning, when he said McGuire came in for an interview Saturday. I'm not suggesting Prisuta is the authority on such issues, but I've never really heard him "break" any news in the past, so it would seem strange that he's trying to do that here unless he has some reliable intel.

On a side note, and off-topic from the GM hire, after hearing Prisuta talk this morning about Fitzgerald, Botterill, and other members of the scouting staff. Just our of curiosity, why is no one crying that they haven't been fired, similarly to the way they're crying that Bylsma wasn't? Quite honestly, that scouting staff should be gutted, and not firing them would seem, at least to me, akin to not firing the coach. What's the difference, aside from prominence? Bylsma being retained has happened for the same reason the scouting staff has been retained: there's no reason to make any decisions until the new GM comes in and evaluates what he wants to do.

I think most of us want the scouting department overhauled as well. You just can't do that right before the draft. Let them stay until July 1 and then start the purge. There is actually a logical reason as to why they are still employed....they have to run this upcoming draft. With Bylsma, there is no logical reason as to why he is still with the team after Shero was fired.

And as others have mentioned, Shero isn't entirely to blame for the poor drafting. He takes some blame for sure, but the scouting staff is the main issue. I'd be very surprised if many of them survived.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:23 am

The U wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Jim wrote:

I think most of us want the scouting department overhauled as well. You just can't do that right before the draft. Let them stay until July 1 and then start the purge. There is actually a logical reason as to why they are still employed....they have to run this upcoming draft. With Bylsma, there is no logical reason as to why he is still with the team after Shero was fired.

And as others have mentioned, Shero isn't entirely to blame for the poor drafting. He takes some blame for sure, but the scouting staff is the main issue. I'd be very surprised if many of them survived.

Okay, I'll buy into the scouting staff needing to be here in order to draft. Of course, if a new GM like McGuire comes in, he might not need that input -- and quite honestly, with as bad as the draft has been, couldn't a GM just make the selections on his own? I'm not suggesting this should happen -- just merely stating that it can't get much worse outside the first round.

As for Bylsma, not sure why people can't buy into the idea that Bylsma was retained so the new GM sees that he has the opportunity to make decisions? I mean, had they fired Bylsma, it's not like they would have hired a new coach without the GM being in place, so what's the rush to fire Bylsma? If he's retained into next season, I'll be mad. But far too often people jump into panic mode without seeing the full picture. It's just like the people panicking about the possibility of Pierre McGuire being the new GM. Why waste the energy panicking now, when it's far from certain he's their guy.

Let's just let the process play out. Burkle didn't become as successful as he is by botching his managerial decisions and/or by hiring the wrong people. He did so by using a methodical approach to select the best people for the jobs and to avoid jumping to conclusions. I have faith he's using a similar approach here.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby rgj on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:20 am

littlemoonboot wrote:Image

Well, lookie there.....a black penguin....
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins