Theories re Bylsma being retained

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Theories re Bylsma being retained

Postby npv708 on Mon May 26, 2014 7:20 pm

So the Pens claimed they wanted to give the new GM all the freedom in the world to make the best decision about a coach, which is why they claimed to hold onto Disco, but how can that have any veracity when arguably the best coaching candidate is now off the table with Trotz going to the Capitals?

In other words, its great that they want to give the GM options for coaches, but names coming off the candidate list while the Pens twiddle thumbs is just hurting anyone who looks to take the job, not to mention, makes it more likely that Disco remains coach another year.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Mon May 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Or you could look at it as now being easier to fire Bylsma, as he is no longer at risk of going to the Capitals. I wasn't particularly on the Trotz bandwagon, and when Shero was fired it became much less likely that the Pens would pursue him.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 26, 2014 7:49 pm

So they can fire Bylsma right? Washington is figured out.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 26, 2014 8:10 pm

There is no chance they didn't fire Bylsma just so he couldn't go to Washington or anywhere else for that matter...if that's being proposed, that's really a pinnacle of ridiculousness...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Mon May 26, 2014 8:59 pm

mikey287 wrote:There is no chance they didn't fire Bylsma just so he couldn't go to Washington or anywhere else for that matter...if that's being proposed, that's really a pinnacle of ridiculousness...

I agree, but I still can't figure out why he is still here. Is it just to give the new GM a choice?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Grunthy on Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 pm

yes. it is really that simple.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Grunthy wrote:yes. it is really that simple.

Well then, I sure hope we hire a GM with another coach in mind.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon May 26, 2014 10:01 pm

It's not a problem, it's just an unnecessary distraction.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby KG on Mon May 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Maybe they plan on keeping Bylsma for one more year, then fire him and replace him with Babcock who will be a free agent after this year?

Probably far fetched, but if the Pens identify Babcock as their #1 guy, it's silly to bring in someone else on a 3 year contract. Maybe they let DB ride it out and bring in Babs after this year??? sure i'm thinking too much...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DayWalker on Mon May 26, 2014 10:10 pm

:scared:
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon May 26, 2014 10:11 pm

KG wrote:Maybe they plan on keeping Bylsma for one more year, then fire him and replace him with Babcock who will be a free agent after this year?

Probably far fetched, but if the Pens identify Babcock as their #1 guy, it's silly to bring in someone else on a 3 year contract. Maybe they let DB ride it out and bring in Babs after this year??? sure i'm thinking too much...

I really like your thinking KG and if this were the case it defiently would give me faith in Pens ownership that they had a solid plan befor they fired Shero. Honestly from what i read here and there, Babcock doen't want to leave Detroit and the Pens ownership isn't smart enough to go forth on this.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 27, 2014 6:32 am

Firing the GM while retaining the head coach he hand-picked simply makes no sense. The more time passes, the less I like the look of things.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 27, 2014 7:21 am

A week or so ago, the idea that they would retain Bylsma seemed completely preposterous
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 am

Yeah, it does seem preposterous. But this is the ownership group's call, even if it's begrudgingly for some, that the GM of the team is an autonomous person without restriction...so the new GM will make the call on the coach and all other hockey ops decisions...that's the organizational m.o.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Tue May 27, 2014 7:27 am

Keeping Bylsma now so that they can fire him and bring in Hynes mid-season, just to let him go at the end of the year to hire Babcock, is totally ridiculous. 1. It would waste another of the prime years of the two-headed monster (unless, of course, either DB or Hynes wins the Stanley Cup, in which case, why fire them? 2. It would be pretty disrespectful to both Bylsma and Hynes, knowing that they were just in place until Babcock became available. 3. It assumes that Babcock would actually want to leave Detroit, which does not seem to be the case.

Bring in a new coach early so that he has time to build his own coaching staff, evaluate the players, and develop a solid plan to implement his system during training camp. Then win the Cup.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby owtahear on Tue May 27, 2014 7:54 am

slappybrown wrote:How is "we prefer that the new GM make the final decisions on hockey matters, such as who the head coach is" not a rational explanation?

Usually....when you fire a GM, you are starting fresh from a management perspective. That means, the coach and staff are usually gone. Let the new guy come in decide on a new coach and staff, instead of having to go through the charade of "evaluating" the existing coach.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Tue May 27, 2014 8:01 am

How about this. Fire Bylsma. Hire Torterella. Let Torts put in his defense first at all costs system. Have the team struggle miserably. Fire Torts in February and promote Hynes. Then Hynes brings in his more aggressive puck possession system with the players having the tenants of Tort's defensive system still fresh in their minds. The players play responsible, but fast having what seems like chains broken off of them. They go on to win another cup.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue May 27, 2014 8:13 am

Factorial wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:Ha. I think the Pens need change but the fallout will be very interesting to watch if they do keep him.

Think there will be riots in the streets? :) Whatever decision is made, hopefully it's not solely done to appease the fans.

Hmmm, hockey riots! I'd be in the front row.........with popcorn. :D

Fans would be pissed but I'm interested in seeing what would happen in general. Not just fans but media as well. And particularly the players, especially Crosby. Naturally the players would probably put on a brave face but the season could get interesting.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue May 27, 2014 8:56 am

I am suprsied Jacques Martin or Granto names havn't being thrown around more for the coaching job. Although I think the players need a new face, one they would respect from the first meeting.

Babcock i would love to see in Pittsburgh, never will happen. THough it is said Babcock would want more say in personall positions like a built in Coach\GM position. Maybe you slide in Botteril for now and if the million to 1 shot of getting Babcock comes around you get him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 am

If Bylsma is back my excitement for next season is almost nil. It would probably be the first time in a LONG time I wouldn't even try to watch every game.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am

skullman80 wrote:If Bylsma is back my excitement for next season is almost nil. It would probably be the first time in a LONG time I wouldn't even try to watch every game.

If he is retained, while I will keep my season tickets, I will sell the majority of them. Until he is fired.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Tue May 27, 2014 9:43 am

llipgh2 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:If Bylsma is back my excitement for next season is almost nil. It would probably be the first time in a LONG time I wouldn't even try to watch every game.

If he is retained, while I will keep my season tickets, I will sell the majority of them. Until he is fired.

I agree with this.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue May 27, 2014 9:56 am

Youll have trouble finding buyers unless you sell less than face
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 am

Mr. Colby wrote:Youll have trouble finding buyers unless you sell less than face

I sell at my season ticket price, which is below face. And I have a core group of people I sell to.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue May 27, 2014 10:48 am

Sadly this was how I felt last year. Now it's like, even moreso...amazing that's possible.

That's not the sentiment of a "bandwagon fan who isn't there for teh hard timez" -- because times aren't hard. Talent is just being wasted. And that is the most frustrating of all.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins