Theories re Bylsma being retained

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Theories re Bylsma being retained

Postby Lesky on Tue May 27, 2014 12:20 pm

EVERYBODY - CALM THE FU** DOWN - BYLSMA GOT THIS!!!!!
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue May 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Lesky wrote:Image

"You are standing *here*... I need you to stand *here*!!!" ... but which is which...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 pm

At least Crosby can run away with the scoring title again! Maybe Malkin battles him.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby pens_srq on Tue May 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Jim wrote:
Lesky wrote:Image

"You are standing *here*... I need you to stand *here*!!!" ... but which is which...

Dan just wanted people to see that he was telling them to go to the slot. This was enough for management to realize that it was the players and personnel he had to work with that were the issue.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Tue May 27, 2014 2:17 pm

KG wrote:Maybe they plan on keeping Bylsma for one more year, then fire him and replace him with Babcock who will be a free agent after this year?

Probably far fetched, but if the Pens identify Babcock as their #1 guy, it's silly to bring in someone else on a 3 year contract. Maybe they let DB ride it out and bring in Babs after this year??? sure i'm thinking too much...

What if DB wins the Stanley Cup?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Tue May 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Wyopen wrote:
KG wrote:Maybe they plan on keeping Bylsma for one more year, then fire him and replace him with Babcock who will be a free agent after this year?

Probably far fetched, but if the Pens identify Babcock as their #1 guy, it's silly to bring in someone else on a 3 year contract. Maybe they let DB ride it out and bring in Babs after this year??? sure i'm thinking too much...

What if DB wins the Stanley Cup?

Oh the horrors that would would be! :scared:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Tue May 27, 2014 7:22 pm

pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue May 27, 2014 10:47 pm

So what you're saying is... yet "another" year of Crosby and Malkin wasted. Lol ;)
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 28, 2014 8:31 am

Keeping DB for one more year in the hopes of signing Babcock (with no guarantees Babcock would sign) would be incredibly stupid.

As this drags on, I have the feeling this will happen.

Botterill - GM
Fitzgerald - Director of Hockey Development/Ass't GM
Martin or Hynes - Head Coach
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed May 28, 2014 8:36 am

llipgh2 wrote:Keeping DB for one more year in the hopes of signing Babcock (with no guarantees Babcock would sign) would be incredibly stupid.

Botterill - GM

Fitzgerald is already doing that, right? Acting as pseudo WBS GM like Cliff Fletcher was before him?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 28, 2014 9:14 am

DelPen wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Keeping DB for one more year in the hopes of signing Babcock (with no guarantees Babcock would sign) would be incredibly stupid.

Botterill - GM

Fitzgerald is already doing that, right? Acting as pseudo WBS GM like Cliff Fletcher was before him?

Yep. But I think they'll add the Director title as well if he gets passed over for the GM job.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Wed May 28, 2014 9:19 am

The more and more I hear about Bylsma being retained, the more and more I like the idea of Head Coach Jacques Martin.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed May 28, 2014 9:22 am

npv708 wrote:The more and more I hear about Bylsma being retained, the more and more I like the idea of Head Coach Jacques Martin.

Clearly ownership wanted him in the organization and I would think they would hire a GM that would share that view as well.

Even a few weeks later, not firing Bylsma for the reason you want to new GM to have control is still stupid.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed May 28, 2014 10:03 am

From Elliotte Friedman:

One team president's theory on Pittsburgh and head coach Dan Bylsma: "In the real world, an owner hires someone at the top who makes decisions on everyone else. I'd bet that's what [Penguins owner] Ron Burkle is doing." I'll say the same thing I say about all of these openings: 'Make it quick. Don't let people hang.'

No...it can't be. There has to be some kind of conspiracy, right?

I'm not necessarily a fan of leaving Bylsma (and the fans) hanging, but it makes sense to demonstrate to any potential new GM that he has full control over hockey decisions. People want to read into Morehouse being the new GM's direct superior, but that's the chain of command. It doesn't necessarily mean Morehouse wants involved in hockey decisions, but rather, he wants the opportunity to be involved if he deems it necessary. When Shero was hired, he reported directly to Ken Sawyer, who was the only person to report to ownership. When Sawyer left and Morehouse was promoted, Shero's contract was adjusted, giving him the final say on all hockey-related decisions and the ability to bypass Morehouse and report directly to ownership. In hindsight, ownership likely views this as a huge mistake, as no one could trump what Shero wanted to do, and by giving him the ability to report directly to them, he had even more power than most GMs do and should have.

If I had to guess, I would say either Botterill or Brisebois will get the job -- most likely Botterill, as Burkle/Lemieux have stated that they would like the hockey operations staff to stay in place for the most part and any outside hire likely would want "his" guys. The new GM will make his own decision about Bylsma and his staff, which is a foregone conclusion from what I'm hearing and reading as speculation from both local and national media. Bylsma will be out. The majority, if not all, of the scouting department will be replaced. My speculation: Fitzgerald likely will become Assistant GM and Guerin will either stay in his current capacity or slide into the Assistant to the GM position vacated by Fitzgerald. New coach will either by Hynes, which I believe would be a mistake because of his rookie coaching status, or an outside hire with coaching clout -- and it won't be Granato or Martin, though one or both may be retained.

I expect all of this to wrap up in no more than one week. Of course, that is purely speculation on my part, but I believe ownership wants a quick turnaround so the new staff can begin gameplans for the draft and free agency.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 30, 2014 11:25 am

I agree that it is as simple as it being the new GM's decision. I also think there is a reasonable change DB is back next year, because the GM might have a target in mind who isn't available yet. (No, probably not Babcock.)
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri May 30, 2014 11:57 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:I agree that it is as simple as it being the new GM's decision. I also think there is a reasonable change DB is back next year, because the GM might have a target in mind who isn't available yet. (No, probably not Babcock.)

So you're saying they'd be willing to burn another year of Sid and Geno's primes just to get this guy? They have already admitted what they're ding isn't working, so why would you keep Bylsma for another (likely wasted) year? it's not like there aren't plenty of qualified coaches out there.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri May 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Keeping Bylsma as a lame duck just to get someone next year would be really really beyond dumb. I don't think the organization is that stupid. At least I hope not. Sid and Geno aren't in their primes forever.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Fri May 30, 2014 12:21 pm

I am trying to recall what Pierre McGuire has said about Bylsma during game broadcasts. I say this thinking if they bring in McGuire, and he is on record as liking Bylsma, then Bylsma would be back next season.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 30, 2014 12:28 pm

I am sure this has nothing to do with the new GM but a nice by-product will be, once he fires Dan B he will be accepted by the fans for that one simple fire.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Until he drafts a d-man in the 1st round.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Defence21 wrote: People want to read into Morehouse being the new GM's direct superior, but that's the chain of command. It doesn't necessarily mean Morehouse wants involved in hockey decisions, but rather, he wants the opportunity to be involved if he deems it necessary.

pre-shero-era: the GM makes the decisions, but he has to have the owners' interests in mind, since they're his employers
shero era: the GM makes the decisions, but he has to have the owners' interests in mind, since they're his employers
post-shero era: the GM makes the decisions, but he has to have the owners' interests in mind, since they're his employers

so yes, this morehouse thing is a nothing story.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri May 30, 2014 2:00 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Defence21 wrote: People want to read into Morehouse being the new GM's direct superior, but that's the chain of command. It doesn't necessarily mean Morehouse wants involved in hockey decisions, but rather, he wants the opportunity to be involved if he deems it necessary.

pre-shero-era: the GM makes the decisions but he has to have the owners' interests in mind, since they're his employers based on Jack Daniels and peyote hallucinations.

Fixed it for ya.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Fri May 30, 2014 2:06 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

pre-shero-era: the GM makes the decisions but he has to have the owners' interests in mind, since they're his employers based on Jack Daniels and peyote hallucinations.

Fixed it for ya.

Thank goodness most of my coworkers are off or working from home. I laughed out loud (not LOL, the real thing) when I read this.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Fri May 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Friend told me he heard McGuire was in town for a 2nd interview?? anyone else hear anything like this??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri May 30, 2014 5:24 pm

no name wrote:Friend told me he heard McGuire was in town for a 2nd interview?? anyone else hear anything like this??

I know nothing, but why am I secretly rooting for Pierre McGuire to be our next GM? And I hate to admit that. I can't stand him on TSN and the hockey broadcasts, but for some reason it just might be totally insane enough to work out. Or it just could be for the lulz, as people like to say these days.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins