Official Offseason Free Agency and Trade RUMOR Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Official Offseason Free Agency and Trade RUMOR Thread

Postby npv708 on Sun May 18, 2014 11:21 am

With the elimination of the Pens, there already has been a considerable amount of rumors around, feel free to post any here and no Eklund, InsidePittsburghSports or hockeyyyy insidderrrrss.

I'll start off with an interesting one:

RJ Umberger will most likely be traded by the Blue Jackets this offseason and the Pens have already been connected as a possible destination.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/con ... eeded.html
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official Offseason Free Agency and Trade Rumor Thread

Postby slappybrown on Sun May 18, 2014 11:37 am

Do not want
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Sun May 18, 2014 11:47 am

I get the feeling that some reporter will connect the Pens to every single target this offseason, be it coach, GM, or player.

Will make speculation fun, at least.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun May 18, 2014 11:47 am

Scuderi for Umberger?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun May 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nothing But Nedved on Sun May 18, 2014 2:18 pm

I'd really like to sign a guy with some size who can also score 15-20 goals to play on the 3rd line. It would also allow Glass to be a permanent 4th liner, where his lack of scoring won't matter much but the way he crushes everything that moves fits great. Maybe get a bigger replacement for Vitale too.

Guys I'm looking at are Brendan Morrow and Dustin Penner. I know Morrow didn't like Bylsma's system, but from what Mario and Burkle told Dejan, it seems pretty clear Bylsma will be gone shortly after a new GM is hired.

The first thoughts I had when Megna came up were Marty Straka or Tyler Kennedy. Looking at some scouting reports and having more than a handful of games to watch him, I'm thinking the TK comparison is pretty accurate, only he's bigger. If he can fill out a little more in the offseason and get stronger, he could be a solid 3rd liner with good speed and good hands that has also shown a little taste of developing into a pest. (Running into Mason for example) He could end up being a good fit there like TK was, especially if we get someone else who really uses the body more to play the other wing.

I'd try to keep Jokinen. He's so versatile and has stretches of excellence. And usually that's a case of stepping up when he's needed most, like when a Sid or Geno gets hurt or is on a cold streak. It will depend on the price though.

Everybody wants to get rid of Neal, but most of them are crazy. He's fairly young, fairly affordable, and can score 40 goals. Trade him and we'd have to start the search for a winger again. That's adding a hole in an offseason where you already have a few holes in the bottom 6 to fill, and where you might lose Jokinen. I really wouldn't want to have to completely rebuild the 2nd line.

Everybody says trade Letang and resign Niskanen. Nisky may have outperformed his contract and Letang underperformed his, but Nisky also earned himself a pretty big pay day in free agency for one year that could have just been playing way over his head. Let a defensive minded coach work with Letang and you probably get that Norris finalist back. That'll be worth it.

I love Orpik and dread one of our players getting obliterated by him if he goes to another Eastern Conference team. But we probably just can't afford to keep him and also make the improvements we need elsewhere.

Scuderi we're stuck with but maybe he'll be better next year with more time to recover from his ankle injury and hopefully a more defensive minded coach.

So basically my biggest question is who is out there that can score 15-20 goals with size and enough skating ability to work on our 3rd line?
Nothing But Nedved
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 18, 2014 3:07 pm

R.J. Umberger has requested a trade out of CBJ. He's got a steep cap hit of $4.2M which is going to make him hard to trade. I'd love to see him playing on a third line with the Pens, but CBJ has two options the way I see it:

1) retain part of his salary in the trade
2) buy him out

Either way, I'd like to see the Pens try to swing only having to pay half the salary like they did with JJ>
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sun May 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:R.J. Umberger has requested a trade out of CBJ. He's got a steep cap hit of $4.2M which is going to make him hard to trade. I'd love to see him playing on a third line with the Pens, but CBJ has two options the way I see it:

2) buy him out

Either way, I'd like to see the Pens try to swing only having to pay half the salary like they did with JJ>

Scuderi for Umberger with CBJ eating the difference in their salaries.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sun May 18, 2014 5:57 pm

CBJ wouldn't do that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun May 18, 2014 6:17 pm

I want Boone Jenner on this team so badly. So badly.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Factorial wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:R.J. Umberger has requested a trade out of CBJ. He's got a steep cap hit of $4.2M which is going to make him hard to trade. I'd love to see him playing on a third line with the Pens, but CBJ has two options the way I see it:

2) buy him out

Scuderi for Umberger with CBJ eating the difference in their salaries.

I'd be fine with that straight up. Umberger is more useful to us at $4.2 than Scuderi at his salary.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun May 18, 2014 6:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:CBJ wouldn't do that.

I have a feeling CBJ is going to have to buy him out.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sun May 18, 2014 6:40 pm

They'll definitely find a buyer, but they're not going to trade him for a Rob Scuderi.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Do we need another over 30 forward like Umberger? If Columbus bought him out, and we could get him for a Glass type salary then go for it, otherwise its not worth it imho.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sun May 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Umberger makes 4.2million???? Holy **** the league really has gone bananas.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 18, 2014 7:27 pm

farnham16 wrote:I want Boone Jenner on this team so badly. So badly.

He was terrific, wasn't he? I'm uncomfortable having that awful feeling of "I can't stand you only because I love you and can't have you" about a player on another team. :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lifetimefan on Sun May 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Is this a man crush?
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Sun May 18, 2014 8:53 pm

lifetimefan wrote:

Is this a man crush?

It is getting close to that point.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Sun May 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Columbus didn't play Umberger largely because he was too slow. Why on earth would we want that here? Especially at $4.2 M a year? We should be trying to get rid of our slow guys like Scuderi and Adams, not add to it. There is no way he comes here with that contract.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 am

Wonder if there is someone out there who is slightly overpaid at the same contract as Scuderi but would be a very good fit on our 3rd line? Rather overspend on an area of weakness now than strength on defense. Even if we lose Orpik and Nisky, losing Scucderi too doesn't matter. We have enough good young players that can get a ton of good experience and if we are still lacking get a rental at the deadline for top 4 or even depth. At some point you need to be OK with Despres in your top 4. Then you resign Engellend cheao for depth and work in Bortuzzo, Samulesson, Dumoulin, Harrington and Pouliot at different points of the season too a bit easier.

So any LW's out there who were signed expected to score goals but are just really solid grinders between $3 and $4 million locked up for another 2-3 years (besides Dupuis and Kuntiz)?

But say it's Scuderi for Umberger even with no salary retention. What's better, Umberger and Phillip Samulsson or Scuderi and Chuck Kobasew or whatever other garbage wing we can find for around $1 million?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 19, 2014 10:57 am

Pavel Bure wrote:http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64119&start=325

That one is not "OFFICIAL".
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 am

npv708 wrote:With the elimination of the Pens, there already has been a considerable amount of rumors around, feel free to post any here and no Eklund, InsidePittsburghSports or hockeyyyy insidderrrrss.

I'll start off with an interesting one:

RJ Umberger will most likely be traded by the Blue Jackets this offseason and the Pens have already been connected as a possible destination.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/con ... eeded.html

This is the exact type of contract and player that the new GM should laugh at. I mean 4.6 million, for two more seasons! He will be 33 years old next year. He is also broken down. Give the big guy Adam Payerl the opportunity to get abused in front of the net at the age of 23 for a whole lot less money.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64119&start=325

That one is not "OFFICIAL".

I mean, come on, really. lol.

Also, I saw that one as more of the usual "You're the GM" threads that are usually on here and this one as a what players/rumors are popping up with the Pens.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 19, 2014 11:08 am

There arent many options via Free Agency that add speed and grit. Whoever the GM is will need to be active on the trade front.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 19, 2014 11:11 am

I would have taken RJ 2-3 years ago but now he is too slow, too expensive, and too old. 4 million for a 3rd liner who was a healthy scratch by columbus in the playoffs is completely stupid.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins