Changes the NHL should make

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Changes the NHL should make

Postby interstorm on Sun May 18, 2014 1:09 pm

I thought I’d change gears from the gloom and doom discussion around here and post a different topic – what changes the NHL could/should do. To me, there isn’t a bigger business in the country that is as obtuse as the NHL. While people’s budgets are shrinking and the competition for entertainment dollars increases, the National Hockey League barely stays afloat in the national discussion for relevance (the media darling Penguins and big city Rangers game 7 playoff match captured 2 million viewers (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/05 ... d-finales/) while a ho-hum average WWE fake wrestling broadcast more than doubled it up with 4.5 million viewers(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1981 ... lly-matter)). As an enthusiastic hockey fan and supporter, I am continually dismayed by the NHL’s handling of the sport – they are the game’s care takers and it is their responsibility to ensure the highest quality product. With that in mind, I give my suggestions on how to improve the game:

1) Scoring MUST increase: Does the NHL not pay any attention to the year-over-year increase in the NFL’s popularity? I have to admit I would have thought the country was virtually saturated as far as NFL growth was concerned – boy was I wrong (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/08/nfl-tv-ra ... -playoffs/)! While my friends and I have grumbled a little bit about the balance shifting too much in football, the message from them is clear. More scoring = more excitement. Hockey on the other hand is approaching the clutch-and-grab days that brought goal totals back to levels not seen since a half century earlier (http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_GoalsPerGame.php). Here are 2 (from what I’ve seen) never discussed options that could be implemented at a moments notice:

• Line changes – new player cannot step on the ice until leaving player is off: How many times have we seen firewagon line changes where briefly extra men are on? How about times when a player jumps on at the defensive side when a leaving player hops on from the offensive area only to negate their opponent’s odd man rush? This little tweak would open up the game more and actually force the players to execute this little thought of aspect better. It would also be easier for a casual fan to understand than the current system.
• Switch benches – long change in periods 1 and 3 instead of just 2: When a team is hemmed in their own zone during the 2nd period it becomes very easy for the attacking team to switch out players. In the effort to increase scoring, why don’t we do this 40 minutes a game instead of 20? Combined with the above this could be a dramatic alteration to the sport.

2) Bigger goals: Yes I said it and no my reason is not primarily due to lack of scoring (but it is related). As one who loves the history of the sport and considers himself a purest – I finally reconciled to myself that this must happen – but the reason may be different than what most would expect. I’ve watched a lot of games and I believe the NHL officiating is sub-par. Between bad calls or non-calls, I feel that NHL officials decide the fate of a game more now than ever. Due to this, I believe the goals must become larger in order to increase scoring and allow a team to offset a bad call that costs them a goal (and maybe the game). While one can argue this destroys hockey’s history and does not allow player to player comparisons over different eras – my rebuttal would say such has already happened due to larger goal pads (larger goalies too), full 2 minute powerplays and 3-on-3 play. References are already gone. Hire MIT geniuses to determine the average open area during the 80’s and adjust the NHL goal by that much. I’d even go as far to say that this number should be baselined and every 5 years be re-audited.

3) Use the misconduct penalty: Back to the NFL – look what happens after (most) whistles when the play is over – nothing. Looking at hockey, every whistle starts an out-of-play melee that (especially in the playoffs) includes fists and sticks – all activity that takes energy away from the game and away from the product. Players need to learn to respect one another and the game itself. When the whistle blows, as in football, it is time to simmer down and get ready for the next play. If not – throw that player in the sin-bin for 10 minutes without question (I don’t care if it is a hand wash). Similarly make diving a misconduct and don’t feel afraid to call it. Viewers want to see heroes defying the physical nature of the game, not actors pretending to get hit so they get an advantage (see point #2 above). I don’t care if half the bench is in the box for a misconduct and since it doesn’t impact the numbers of on-ice skaters, referees should not feel they are deciding the game.

These are just a couple of my thoughts – what are yours? Every year I hope in the offseason some young intelligent newcomer in the NHL makes a brilliant suggestion or two that could help. I fear even if that happens, the NHL execs are so blind they don’t even see a problem.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Changes the NHL should make

Postby Kaizer on Sun May 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Im all for zero toletance for idiotic scrums after every whistle.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DocEmrick on Sun May 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Definitely agree about point 1. This was especially evident in the playoffs (I'll get to that in a moment).

Switching benches sounds intriguing, but I don't think it could work due to the way the game is set up; and most arena's are now set up. It could be done with heavy moving, and longer intermissions. But if someone gets injured, they're going to be walking down the runway of the other team's bench? Maybe I just read this part wrong. I agree about the second period long-changes though.

Agree with the misconduct penalty, and this brings me to my larger point. Officiating needs to be revamped or reviewed or something. Officiating was inconsistent as all hell this year; and not just from a homer perspective. We had a lot of non-calls, as did the other team. Playoff refereeing has thus far been an absolute joke that has made the game look like garbage. If you're going to make a two-handed stab to the hands a hooking penalty, keep it that way through the season and post-season. The whole "We're going to let the chippy stuff fly," is complete bullcharcoal. The NHL looks like an absolute joke right now. As for make-up calls; this has become an "unwritten" rule now, and that's very concerning to me. When I have an 80% chance of predicting a penalty in the last 5 minutes of a game, it's a huge problem.

To add to this, how many offsides went uncalled? I counted at least 4 or 5, and that's something I had never noticed up until recently (the last few years). I don't know what's going on with the linesmen, but I saw both sides unhampered by far and away offside plays. Again, not just on our opponent, but against the Pens as well.

The no-touch icing is stupid, do away with it for god's sake. And I want that goddamn rule for attempted pass no-icing back! It kept the play moving!
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sun May 18, 2014 3:33 pm

It has nothing to do with actual game play but I think the NHL needs to get a deal done with ESPN/ABC. ESPN hardly shows (in my opinion) hockey highlights and analysis because they have no economic interest (compared to hammering in NBA playoffs because they have the rights to NBA games, especially the Finals.

I feel like if ESPN can convince the average sports center viewer that they care about the NHL, the viewer is more likely to watch. Instead, most NHL games are banished to NBC Sports and Sportscenter shows less than a minute of hockey highlights per show.

And I don't mean JUST Sports center either. I'm also talking about high-draw shows like PTI or Colin Cowherd on radio.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Sun May 18, 2014 6:52 pm

I read a little on the line changes idea and from the sounds of it, every time a line change comes up the players will perform a Murphy dump to make a whole sale change. I like the idea and the logic, but leave it up to the coaches to totally contradict something that is supposed to increase scoring in the game. It would need tested and played with until it did what it was supposed to do.

The long change idea is accomplished pretty easy you don't switch teams you switch goalies ends, easy enough huh??? Its the after effect that makes this a night mare... If it was that easy they would just do it. If goalies switch ends then you have to move every season ticket holder seat to the opposite sice of the rink. And every box would need moved to the other side of the rink.. This is doable but it would take every team time to redo all their seats.

Bigger nets, hell I would love that. As much as I am a purist I want to see goals. Look at the popularity the Sosa, McGuire home run chase. Wouldin't it be nice to see a Sid chase a 2 point per game season. Maybe see Ovi chase a 70 goal season. More scoring would also have the desired effect of less overtime games.

The Playoffs need to be called more concistantly like the regular season. Ok no one wants to see the refs decide a game but what is even worse than that is watching the clutch and grab hockey of the 90s.... That game 7 Boston vs MTL was a good game but got sick of watching players climbing on each others backs and holding up the players. It gets me sick to watch that.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dey soff on Sun May 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Call interference.
dey soff
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lifetimefan on Sun May 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Just enforce the rules as they are written from the first exhibition game until the Stanley Cap is hoisted. The league will be a joke as long as they have two completely different seasons.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Sun May 18, 2014 7:15 pm

I think the NHL should try reducing goalie equipment to the smallest size practical before increasing the net size. I'm certain science can devise something much smaller. Give them a regular stick.

Then we can have goalies who join the rush situationally!
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun May 18, 2014 7:17 pm

dey soff wrote:Call interference.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Desiato on Sun May 18, 2014 7:20 pm

columbia wrote:

Who's gonna front the $$$ to have Jacobs and Snider.. taken care of? That's probably what it would take.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun May 18, 2014 7:21 pm

lifetimefan wrote:Just enforce the rules as they are written from the first exhibition game until the Stanley Cap is hoisted. The league will be a joke as long as they have two completely different seasons.

This. A penalty in the preseason and early regular season should still be a penalty later in the season and the playoffs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun May 18, 2014 9:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
lifetimefan wrote:Just enforce the rules as they are written from the first exhibition game until the Stanley Cap is hoisted. The league will be a joke as long as they have two completely different seasons.

This. A penalty in the preseason and early regular season should still be a penalty later in the season and the playoffs.

I totally agree, I don't see baseballs strike zone change in the playoffs. I don't see a foulball called differently. I don't see a holding call in football look any different, I don't see the 2 feet inbounds change to one.... Hockey playoffs are a joke, it doesn't come down to who is the most skilled and talented team. It comes down to who can interfere the most without getting called when the refs are scared to decide a game with a call. SO hey why not let all the calls go.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sun May 18, 2014 11:15 pm

no name wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

I totally agree, I don't see baseballs strike zone change in the playoffs. I don't see a foulball called differently. I don't see a holding call in football look any different, I don't see the 2 feet inbounds change to one.... Hockey playoffs are a joke, it doesn't come down to who is the most skilled and talented team. It comes down to who can interfere the most without getting called when the refs are scared to decide a game with a call. SO hey why not let all the calls go.

baseball strike zones change from inning to inning, let alone regular season to playoffs.

I don't necessarily agree that officiating in hockey is the worst but I do think this season was pretty terrible for all teams involved. Very inconsistent. The league needs to change something.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Mon May 19, 2014 9:09 am

:Here are a few that I would experiment with if it were up to me:

Go back to zero tolerance on obstruction fouls

Get more strict on hitting people when they don't have the puck (ie just passed it or shot). Its seems there is a good 5 seconds now that you can hit someone after they had the puck. It should be more like 1 or 2 seconds.

Get rid of the trapezoid.

Get rid of the free ice the puck on the powerplay.

Quicker faceoffs after a whistle.

Automatic delay of game penalty for any player who tries to change illegally when the puck is iced.

Embellishment is a 10 min misconduct penalty.

Any player thrown out of the face off must tag up at the red line before they can touch the puck again. (this is to prevent intentional faceoff delays)

Once a player changes he can't go back to the bench to get a new stick until the puck is dropped. (again to prevent delays in faceoffs)

If a goalie needs an equipment adjustment just after an icing call, the backup goal keeper must enter the game until he can be legally changed.

Get rid of the automatic penalty for shooting the puck over the glass. Give the referee discretion to call a penalty if intentional (they way it used to be)

Change the offside rule so when entering the zone as soon as any part of the puck touches the blueline the play is onside, instead of the whole puck over the line.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 am

Make a dramatic change to the blue-line offsides rule to prevent clogging of center ice (the trap) and to greatly reduce the number of dump-ins. Hockey should be a game of flow and rushes into the attacking zone, not intentional giveaways in the hope of regaining the puck. You have to have rules to prevent cherry picking, but surely there could be alternatives that improve the game.

Decide end-of-regulation ties (at least during the regular season) by playing "innings" of 5-on-3 hockey wherein each team gets chance(s) to score with a two-man advantage and the one that does so fastest wins. This would be more exciting than shootouts and would not be so gimmicky, because two-man advantage situations occur often in games. Additionally, it would usually decide the games quickly.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon May 19, 2014 10:10 am

Public discipline of referees for bad AND missed calls. You have an obviously illegal hit, a ref looking right at it, no call.... discipline.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_srq on Mon May 19, 2014 10:32 am

The more I watch, the more convinced I am that the league likes the inconsistency of calls. They use the calls to keep games close, or even worse, I would say that they use the calls to influence the winner of a series. I'd like to see some detailed analysis to this effect, but reffing the score plays a big role in why hockey is a considered a second class sport.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Mon May 19, 2014 11:08 am

When you have playoffs that make Dominic Moore and Justin Williams just as big of a factor as Sidney Crosby, then there is something wrong with the makeup of your game.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Mon May 19, 2014 11:09 am

Start letting the Pens win again.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 pm

I think once you see the dinosaurs and the "old time hockey" proponents (Jacobs, Snider, Burke...etc) and their puppet Bettman out of the league and new, younger, forward-thinking people have more say, you will see a real change in the game. When Bettman's contract expires HOPEFULLY he will retire. Then the NHL can really start to address the broad issues like refereeing, interference, violence, suspensions.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tksmr2 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Stop reffing the games according to the score of the game, time of the game, whether it's playoffs or regular season.

Start calling the rule book. Sooner or later the players will adapt, and you will see less and less penalties, but a ton will be called for a few months!! In the past when they tried this (sometime in the early 90's, it lasted about a week, and then they went back to their old ways.
tksmr2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Tue May 20, 2014 12:39 am

Until the NHL decides that refereeing is meant to discipline cheaters and keep the game honest, and NOT to make the games "even"... the league will never get it's best product on display.

As for a couple changes?

1. Whistle blows, play is dead. Any activity after the whistle puts you in the box. Particularly when stabbing at pucks a goalie has frozen. Ala the Olympics.

2. Stick fouls called according to the rulebook. I'm tired of watching the amount of slashing/hooking/interfering that players do when hounding the guy with the puck. Your stick is for playing the puck, not the player.

3. Interference called according to the rulebook. Why aren't both of your hands on your stick? Sit in the box for a couple of minutes to think about it...

4. Do away with the trapezoid corner nonsense and let goalies play the puck. But with this, if the goalie is out of his crease AND is playing the puck he is just like any other player. Subject to being hit. Let him decide if it's worth the risk. Some goalies handle the puck well, and can be a distributor/catalyst for getting the play up ice.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby orpchar on Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 am

Seems pointless to discuss rule changes until the NHL starts enforcing the existing rules consistently (regular season vs. playoffs, as many have already mentioned.)
orpchar
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 20, 2014 9:21 am

interstorm wrote:More scoring = more excitement

Absolutely WRONG. Scoring chances = excitement. You could make the nets 30' x 60' resulting in double-digit goals every game and it's going to be unbearably awful to watch.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 am

I actually created a similar post in the NPR section that shows the decline in scoring and it's reflection in how many penalties were called. The last three full seasons only saw ONE 100 point-getter and that's a sign scoring has gone down.

The NHL has quickly gone back to the "let them play" mentality. Here are things I believe need to change:

1) START ENFORCING penalties. Too often refs seem to call penalties based on THE DEGREE or SEVERITY of the penalty rather than the simple fact that it was a penalty.

2) Increase the size of the rink to Euro standards or at least somewhat wider. The players are too big, too fast and need more room to not only increase scoring but help decrease the risk of serious injury. Concussions have specifically gotten out of control and more room to skate would likely lessen those scary and "unpredictable" hits.

3) As others pointed out, these needless scrums after the whistle a not only ridiculous but make them look like babies. Players seem to nudge, hit, bump, etc... a player simply for being anywhere near the net once the whistle has been blown. It's just stupid and babylike. As if players aren't supposed to look for rebounds.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins