Changes the NHL should make

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Changes the NHL should make

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri May 23, 2014 6:50 am

tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
interstorm wrote:More scoring = more excitement

Absolutely WRONG. Scoring chances = excitement. You could make the nets 30' x 60' resulting in double-digit goals every game and it's going to be unbearably awful to watch.

Scoring chances = excitement

A greater conversion rate on scoring chances = even more excitement

Goalies need to get worse. Half the saves people drool over seem to be the result of pretty basic technique or marshmallowism

And that's not going to happen any time soon. Over the past 35-40 years, goaltenders have transformed from "the guy on the team who wasn't in good enough shape to play out" to perhaps the most athletic individuals in hockey.

I disagree with goalies being the guy "not good enough shape". Goalies from previous time periods were very in shape... those pads got heavy.. real heavy... and they had to rely on actually moving their legs and arms instead of just going down into a butterfly position.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 23, 2014 8:06 am

Hell goalie pads have just gotten way to big. The wrist pad on the gloves used to be kinda round and as big as the wrist. Now the bottom of the glove is as wide as the top of the glove. The chest protector has built in pads all over the place, you would never know Fleury is as thin as he is with all the pads he is wearing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Fri May 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Defensive schemes are more sophisticated. Goaltending technique is more advanced. Equipment is bigger. Skill isn't being promoted in the normal course of the game.

I think the 4th one is the first one you should tackle. If you fix the way the game is played, you'll have a faster, more skill based product (in theory). As it's been said, the goal of the league should be to increase scoring chances, not to make it easier to score goals.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri May 23, 2014 1:11 pm

Froggy wrote:Defensive schemes are more sophisticated. Goaltending technique is more advanced. Equipment is bigger. Skill isn't being promoted in the normal course of the game.

I think the 4th one is the first one you should tackle. If you fix the way the game is played, you'll have a faster, more skill based product (in theory). As it's been said, the goal of the league should be to increase scoring chances, not to make it easier to score goals.

A bi - product of more scoring chances would be more goals, which would be more a plus. But i agree even if scoring didn't go up and i saw a more exciting product on this ice i would be happy. Goal scoing is at a all time low ince the 06 lockout. And this postseason has been harder to watch with the clutching and grabbing.

I am a loyal long time hockey and Penguin fan and even i waiver at times over the state of the on ice product.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Pens should be spotted 2 goals to start every game. Gary Bettman make it so.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Froggy wrote:Defensive schemes are more sophisticated. Goaltending technique is more advanced. Equipment is bigger. Skill isn't being promoted in the normal course of the game.

The idea that a well placed unscreened shot from an average distance could lead to a goal that wouldn't be described as goalie error is exciting to me.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nuge on Fri May 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Pens should be spotted 2 goals to start every game. Gary Bettman make it so.

Most dangerous lead in hockey. Better make it 3.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 23, 2014 3:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:

The idea that a well placed unscreened shot from an average distance could lead to a goal that wouldn't be described as goalie error is exciting to me.

Yeah seems like powerplays all you see is a long range shot that you hope deflects into the goal off one of your players or an oppenent. Or the goalie is so screened he can't see a thing. During the playoffs this is mostly what you see. Kinda boring if you ask me. I want to see tic tack toe plays and skill pass deflections. Or someone smoke a Kovalev wrist shot past the goalie.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Fri May 23, 2014 4:05 pm

My point was that it should take skill to score goals. I don't want mediocre players scoring 30+ goals because they shrunk pads or made nets bigger. I want scoring, primarily even strength scoring, to increase as a result of a better, faster, more skill oriented product on the ice.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Fri May 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Froggy wrote:My point was that it should take skill to score goals. I don't want mediocre players scoring 30+ goals because they shrunk pads or made nets bigger. I want scoring, primarily even strength scoring, to increase as a result of a better, faster, more skill oriented product on the ice.

This makes no sense. Who cares if a mediocre player scores 30 goals because a highly skilled player will get 50 plus. See where I am going with this? When goalie equipment wasn't so grossly gigantic there were more effective areas to shoot at. It's 2014 and something has to give. The players are taught to block EVERYTHING, the trap is still around :face: , and the goalie equipment is absurd how big it has become. So you have less open net to shoot at, less shooting lanes as players are getting in line to block every shot, and of course the trap that still looms out there that keeps the team from even attempting a shot let alone it getting blocked in the first place.

Start working on what I just mentioned and the overall product will be more exciting no matter who is getting 30 goals or more a year.

Offense sells in North America. Scoring sells. Oh so close cluster EFF does not!!!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri May 23, 2014 5:53 pm

it makes sense. you're just missing my point.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri May 23, 2014 6:20 pm

I don't necessarily care if scoring goes up, but the clutching, grabbing, and illegal stickwork needs to go.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri May 23, 2014 6:22 pm

the wicked child wrote:I don't necessarily care if scoring goes up, but the clutching, grabbing, and illegal stickwork needs to go.

Exactly. Treat the disease, not the symptoms
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins